Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bread and Circuses (Spicey!)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, April 16, 2014, 06:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

The crowd rose into an uproar around him as the two slaves set to. Hacking and slashing, back and forth. To the crowd, this was a sporting event; a spectacle put on by the wealthy to give the commoners their bread and circus. To Evander, it was barbaric and inhumane torture simply watching it... But, alas, he had no choice, he was a slave, forced to watch other slaves hack each other to the death. At least his master wasn't sitting next to him at that moment, cheering on the bloody spectacle.

From beneath the veil over his face, his eyes watched, darting back and forth. His master had bets placed on the one with the trident... Not that it really mattered to Evander; his job there was simply to keep track of the bets themselves: how much was won, and how much was lost. Still, this match was particularly bloody. Neither of the fighters wanted to give in, each one hacking the other almost down to the bone. The sight made the gryphon want to puke. Dear Ansgar...

visualspice

Harmanaija had no stomach for violence either, but it was what it was, and she had chosen to work here- not that there was much of a choice for a woman like her. The mark, clearly worn across her face, made quite a number of businesses shy away from even considering hiring her- but the Colosseum was more than happy to have her. For she never complained and never got in the way. And today was no different, for she had finished serving the slaves down below and began to make her way towards where the slave gryphon sat, perched beside a pile of paperwork. Wheeling her cart full of slop over to him, she cleared her throat as she addressed this lone slave.
"Are you hungry? I come with the evening meal."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Klezmer Gryphon

Evander looked up from the match when he heard the woman speak. Is she really talking... to me? he thought. Judging by the mark branded on her face, this was probably the only job she could manage. However, he was about to answer when the crowd's cheers grew into an uproar. Looking back down at the match, the gryphon was starting to regret having lunch that afternoon. The match had ended; the gladiator left standing (Trident, as he was called on the sheet to Evander's right) had won... And was holding his opponent's head like a trophy while idle droplets of blood dripped down onto the sand over his dismembered corpse.

The gryphon almost keeled over as he felt his stomach turn in knots at the sight. He had grown accustomed to seeing the various bloody spectacles that he Essyrni called entertainment, but seeing the dismembered head being held like a trophy just made him sick. Looking back for a moment to face the server, he managed to get out a silent shake of the head before turning to puke his guts out.

visualspice

Harmanaija took one look at the vomiting gryphon and reared back, a hand to her chest as she grit her teeth after gasping. She had to turn away, lest she retch herself. And as she did, her eyes caught sight of the battle in the arena.

Battles she always tried to ignore, and this was precisely why she did. She  felt a bit nauseous from the feat, but instead of vomiting, she became a bit light headed and swooned, dropping against the food cart, and barely managing to catch herself as she made an awkward landing on the floor-
but unfortunately for her, it was enough of an action to knock the bowl of sludge over, and it went all over the floor.

With an exhausted sigh, she peered over at the mess, then back at the gryphon, before rising to her feet.
"I'm.. I'm sorry for the mess. Please excuse me while I clean it up," and onto her knees she went, using what limited resources she had on hand to scoop up her mess, and that of the mess the gryphon had spewed onto the floor. It smelled rancid, but barely better than the sludge she was serving to these poor warriors. And with another sigh, she disposed of what she could and moved back to her cart.

"So I take it you won't be having supper?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Klezmer Gryphon

The gryphon merely shook his head in response. He was thankful his master wasn't there when he lost his lunch, and caused the server to spill the slop cart. Without even looking back down at the match or at the server, he tugged a feather from his wings and started writing down the results of the fight. Another two hundred gold for the bastard... he thought.

Looking back up to face the lady who had tried to serve him, he gave sheepish smile from under his veil. Hopefully she wasn't mad at him.

"I'm Evander, by the way...." He said sotto voce.

visualspice

Harmanaija gave an uncertain nod towards this creature. She had never gotten a chance to see one so... well, refined as this. ANd it was interesting to see him be a book keeper- slave or not. She knew a lot of humans who couldn't write, but here was a slave, proper, and he wasn't even one with true thumbs! It was interesting and she tried not to stare, and hadn't realized there was a cue for her to give her name.

"It seems you are quite busy. A lot to take note of?"

Klezmer Gryphon

"No, not really. The hardest part of my job is dealing with my asshole of a master, Farouk La'Ahad," the gryphon replied, not even looking up from his work. Just uttering his master's name made his brow darken. Farouk was the epitome of hypocrisy; he would treat his slaves nicely in public, but would put them through Hell in at home, often threatening lashings or worse if they even spoke a word that was out of line. As much as he hated the man, Evander didn't really want anyone's blood on his talons.

"And, please, don't tell Farouk that I called him an asshole. I'd really like to be able to have children one day when I'm not a slave..." Evander muttered, still scribbling away with his quill.

visualspice

Despite all that he said, Harmanaija found it charming this educated slave had dreams. It wasn't everyday you heard a slave dreaming of such things, but maybe he did not mind bringing up another being into such a life. For if you were born a slave, you were always a slave, but ...
even in Essyrn, it is said- someone can go from rags to riches in the blink of an eye. She had to wonder how much of that was true.

"You don't have to worry about me," she said, lifting her gaze only slightly. Her hair still hid the hideous mark on her face, the one that branded her as an adultress, but he didn't need to see that. Everyone had their problems, evidently, Evandar had his own.

"I care not for men like he, if you can forgive my honesty," she said, lowering her head in a partial bow. "Is there anything I can bring for you? I'm sorry that all I can offer is this food and well.. some bread. Unless you'd like some water to drink?" And she lifted her head curiously towards him. Water might be the wisest, anyway. Considering he had just lost his lunch.

Klezmer Gryphon

"Water would be fi-" Evander stammered, assuming a very submissive position; his master was standing right behind the lady. And he did not look pleased, either.

((OoC: I apologize for the short post XD I really couldn't think of anything better ))

visualspice

Harmanaija gave a curious blink then whirled around, and found herself nearly gaping at the sight of the gentlemen. Her cheeks went a bit rosey, her stomach chilling cold, as she leaned sheepishly against the cart.

"I.. I come with food and water for the slaves," she went on, explaining herself and waiting, hopefully, for the man to simply dismiss her. She did not really want to get involved with an irate slaver right now, especially if he over heard her speaking. Which, by the looks of things, he probably did.

Klezmer Gryphon

((OoC: Plot twist! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!))

Evander kept quiet. Farouk looked mad, and he could only imagine why. Had he been standing there the entire time? Oh, dear Ansgar... Please, no.... were the words running through his mind....

"Get out my sight, fleabag. Some old crone kaadir herder decided he could use you more. Offered a lot of coin for something that can't even talk right," the irate slaver spat, grabbing the gryphon by the nape of his neck and shoving him into the isle. Evander merely gawked at the surprise. How did someone ever manage to get that much coin?!

"Go on! Get out of here!" The man repeated, and then turned to the lady serving food, " You there! Make sure he gets to his new master. You'll find him over by the western entrance."

Evander still couldn't believe what was happening as he started walking away. His feathers stood on edge with excitement, but also with anxiety. Would his new master be cruel, like Farouk, or a saint?

visualspice

Harmanaija stood there, eyes wide as she blinked. Though she cringed through most of it, she was just happy the man wasn't about to unleash any rage on her- so when he barked a command to her, she almost tripped over her own two feet to oblige.

Pushing the squeaky cart along, and hair falling almost completely into her face, she moved after the gryphon, not even noticing that his feathers were all ruffled, for her 'own feathers' were just as bad!

Klezmer Gryphon

((Pardon the long wait)))

"Well, I suppose we shouldn't dawdle here and keep my new master waiting, should we?" Evander sighed. He stopped just a moment to wait for his escort; despite being at the colosseum a few times prior, the gryphon didn't really care for walking around the grounds alone... Lest he get lost amid the crowds going in and out of the colosseum gates.

visualspice

"A good idea. If your new master has patience like your last master, we should walk much more swiftly. Come,t he western gate is this way. I know the place rather well, though I've only been working here a month." ANd she gestured for him to follow, still pushing her cart full of gruel and hard bread.

Klezmer Gryphon

((Lol, Evander is a conniving little bird, isn't he?))

The gryphon simply nodded at the woman. The crowds were getting denser, filled with more people as they got closer to the gate. A few slaves here and there with their masters, but mostly peasants who probably wouldn't even notice if Evander got separated from his escort. She seemed to be a nice enough lady, but where she was leading him, the gryphon did not want to follow... So he didn't...

Peeling away from the path the slop server was walking, he didn't have to wait long before there were several layers of people in between him and her. Perfect.... he thought, smiling as he kept walking in a different direction.

visualspice

Her cart was making quit a lot of noise, squeaking and creaking and whining as she went. So as she was nearing the denser crowds and had to push her way through,s he was more focused on not shoving her cart into someone's butt than what was going on with the strange bird-creature behind her, so it wasn't untils he was halfway there that she paused with a deep sigh and turned around.

"I don't think we need to go much further until-"
And then she blinked and looked around. And it was only after her eyes swept through the crowd another few times did the sense of panic come into play and she realized-
Oh, no! She lost her charge!

Klezmer Gryphon

As Evander kept distancing himself from his escort, the small gryphon looked back into the crowd. Good... No one is watching me... he thought... Before calmly reaching up and removing his veiled hat. Everyone was too occupied with coming to or going home from the matches to really notice as the wistful gryphon removed the mark of his bondage. For the first time in five years, he didn't have to hide his eyes and beak behind a thin curtain. With a grin across his beak, the gryphon took the veiled hat in his talons, and proudly tossed it aside. He was almost home free.... Now he just had to leave.

((OoC: You think Evander's plan should succeed or fail miserably?))

visualspice

Harmanaija could not believe her luck! Not only did she close her charge, but as she moved to search for him, she received rude ignorance from the masses. It caused her to glare back at them, but she was mostly ignored, so her skull burning glare was left, unphasing to any but exhausting to herself. So she went about frantically to look for him herself. How hard could it be to find a gryphon among the masses? But soon she'd find out, it would prove as difficult as a needle in a hay stack! For the Colosseum was bustling that day, and it was hard to tell one person from the next, or one side from the other, as soon, poor Harmanaija found herself completely turned around. At a loss, she decided to give up her chase for the moment, (for she did have an actual paying job to attend to after all) and returned, defeatedly back to her little food cart, and with a sigh, began to push it's squeaky wheels back through the crowd, seeming to all but have abandoned the poor fleeing gryphon.

Tags: