Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Like Salt and Pepper

Started by Zero, May 08, 2014, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Tags to @Rhi-Rhi woo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arca was the bustling capitol of Serendipity, which was arguably also the magic capitol of the world. No other country embraced the bizarre and unusual quite like this diverse and marvelous place. That of course also depended on your definition of bizarre and unusual. Well, perhaps La'marri was just as open and accepting of the strange, but that was more city-state than actual country. That place too had its charms, but it was here in Serendipity that one lonely soul found the most solace. Though even that small comfort was incomplete and a mere salve on a grievous wound.

Especially since the population was widely human. Brilliant, ingenious, odd humans with colorful hair and eyes and skin and magic bespeaking heavy fae ancestry, but still humans. Creatures that seemed to have a natural penchant for ostracizing anything not also of their own kind. Maybe they weren't quite as discriminating as, say, Connlaoth, a place in which someone like him would find hostility and suspicion, but even here he knew he would never truly fit in. He couldn't bring himself to blame them. Had not his own kind preferred to keep to themselves? They had not mingled greatly with humans or fae or even other species of dragon.

That isolation had probably been his people's undoing. When the hunters had come in ever greater numbers there own guardians, like him, had simply not been enough. Who could they have turned to for help? No one. It was odd, humans had wiped out the population of his people in their greed, but still he couldn't find ill-will towards them, even in his broken heart. Somehow these small, seemingly weak beings had faced mighty dragons head-on and had won. Their tenacity was to be admired, and their callousness feared.

Still, maybe it wasn't so odd that he harbored no hatred of them now. The Great Hunt had ended years and years ago now, before some of the current nations had even been idealized. Those humans responsible were long dead and buried, and so were many, many generations of their descendants. It would be unfair and irrational to hold a grudge against those so young and new to the world that their grandparents had even forgotten the old tales. He wondered if the world even remembered his kind. Oh they remembered dragons to be sure, but Ellanari Sky Dragons? Those were but a long faded myth.

Sighing Tatsu rested his head back against the cool stone, he was perched atop a stone wall overlooking a small, private garden. One of the university gardens, if he wasn't mistaken. His back rested against the side of the building the wall was attached to, with one leg drawn up and bent at the knee, hands clasped together around it and the other leg dangled freely over the edge, swinging slightly in an idle motion.

In a human form, he stood six and near another half a foot, with a willowy, almost gangly frame, though every bit of him was corded in solid, lean muscle wrapped in pale skin. Silver hair with a slightly iridescent ice blue sheen when the light touched it at just the right angle was just short enough not to be able to be pulled back in a ponytail. So it hung messily about his head, falling in his intensely pale blue eyes.

Garbed in shining blue and silver armor from neck to boots, he probably looked something of a mercenary, or maybe a soldier. Outwardly he supposed he at least passed for human, after all, Serendipity was used to people with unusual coloring. Being able to blend in on the surface was good, but after so long he still found himself struggling to assimilate fully to human culture or life. Too many of their behaviors didn't make sense to him, and they just didn't think the same way much of the time.

The weather was pleasant, but the day was far too quiet, and dare he say, boring. Though he smiled faintly at the thought that had be been home, his true home, that this was probably almost exactly how he would have spent his day anyway. Though he'd have been in his real form, and surrounded by his own kind, instead of humans.

Rhindeer

"Oh, what? What was that? Ya wanna bloody well repeat that, wench? 'Cause ya damned well better not have said what I think ya just said!" Pepper growled as she rounded on her classmate, rolling up her baggy sleeves as she went. The other girl--Arianne was her name, if she remembered correctly--went very still and wide-eyed, both she and her friend frozen in mid-whisper. Figured she'd look scared when she was called out, the two-faced wench.

Pepper had always hated Arianne. Her friend was okay. Her friend was just a sheep, the sort that went along with whatever Arianne did. Arianne, however? Was a terror. A noble girl, she had always been jealous of Pepper, and angry that a street rat would have more power and potential than her.

But the surprise on Arianne's face faded about as quickly as it flared. A second later and she straightened up, tossed her hair coolly, and smiled. "Language, Pepper," she said with a raised finger, imitating their instructors. "I don't know what you're all upset about, anyway. It's not like I was saying anything wrong."

"Uh, that's kinda literally what ya were just doin'. Ya called me a whore. I heard ya."

"It's not wrong if it's true," Arianne replied with a sweet smile. "We all heard."

"What the fuck are ya talkin' about?!" Pepper growled, but her heart was hammering in her chest. They all heard what? With a sinking sensation, she thought she already knew.

"Oh, just about what happened in Adela. Running off with some man is what got you in trouble, no? Come on, Pepper. We can read between the lines." And then Arianne brought her fingers to her mouth as though to take the words back. "Oops! Well, us literate ones can, at least. Don't worry, though! There's hope for you. Maybe if you spend more time studying and less time servicing strangers--ah!"

Arianne cut off with a squeal, because that was when Pepper launched herself at the other girl, and they both collapsed on the grass, right there in the middle of the university gardens. Unfortunately for Arianne, Pepper did not "fight like a girl". There was no hair pulling or slapping. No, Pepper had grown up on the streets from a young age and had learned early how to fight, and in a flash she had the other girl on her back as she pinned her down, knees straddling her while she gripped her hair and punched her.

"Take it back! Take it all back now!" she shouted, while Arianne's friend fluttered helplessly behind them, not sure how to break up the fight.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

Quiet.

Peaceful.

Tatsu had closed his pale eyes for several minutes now, almost able to doze off on his perch, but the tranquility of his day shattered in an instant. It sounded like the shrill sound of angry young human females. At first he tried to simply ignore it, eyes still softly closed as he tried to drown out the sound of the bickering girls with the sounds of the city. He almost managed it. Almost.

His slightly pointed ears twitched as the sound of fighting broke out, his eyes opened slowly to peer down into the yard below, watching as an oddly dressed young girl pinned another to the ground to punch her in the face repeatedly. What strange behavior. Half of him thought to stay out of it, as it clearly wasn't his business, but the other, stronger, half of him felt compelled to aid the girl on the ground, to break up the fight. Squabbling hatchlings sometimes needed to be separated for their own good.

There was something else, the aggressive one was almost blindingly bright when he looked at her. For a human, she had a lot of magical potential. Tatsu could sense the power within Pepper, sensing magic was one of the things his kind were so know for. Sighing softly at his lost peace he dropped from the wall, landing in a crouched position before standing to his impressive height and strolling towards the three girls with an air of near boredom.

"Violence is rarely the answer to a problem, children. Desist before I separate you myself."

Rhindeer

Pepper had her fist pulled back, about ready to wallop Arianne once more, when a male voice stalled her. She froze and looked up, prepared to see one of her instructors there--but instead it was an incredibly tall, pale man with intense blue eyes and pretty silver hair. Her breath caught when she saw that he was dressed in shining armor, too, and the first thing she felt was fear. Growing up on the streets, she had always feared soldiers, and even among the safety of the university, even though she was no longer a thief, that fear remained.

With a squeak, she scrambled off of the other girl and fell backwards onto her bottom. "S-sorry, sir! Please don't arrest me!"

Meanwhile, Arianne pushed herself to her feet, her dress soiled, her lip bleeding, and her cheek bruised. Tears welled in her eyes, which were smoldering less with hurt and more with anger. Still, she'd gotten off better than she could have; Pepper had punched her, all right, but not as hard as she was able, and she had avoided breaking her nose even though she'd wanted to.

She glared down at Pepper and then up at the soldier. "Do arrest her! She hit me! Do you even know who I am?!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

Separating them had been much easier than Tatsu had thought. In his experience humans could be strong-willed and stubborn at the best of times. He'd prepared himself to have to physically remove the aggressive girl from the other. What a relief that wouldn't be necessary. It always unsettled him to have to put his hands on a female, even when for her own good.

Tilting his head he looked down at Pepper, contemplating the way she had reacted as she sat where she'd fallen. He could sense her fear, and it troubled him. Why would she be afraid of him? Humans were so strange. No female should ever fear a male. It made no sense. Then again, humans were so very different, yes...human females had reason to fear males. That was perhaps the one thing that he truly hated about them.

He turned his eyes to the other girl, the one that had stood. "I have neither intention nor authority to arrest her. And no, I am not aware of who you might be - nor do I particularly care. If you will pardon me, Madam."

Tatsu turned away from Arianne with disinterest. The girl was injured, which bothered him, but she wasn't hurt enough to warrant undue concern. Instead he knelt down, looking at Pepper intently for a few moments. "Are you alright, Miss? Please do not be afraid of me. I would never harm you."

Rhindeer

He didn't have the authority? Pepper blinked at that, eyes flicking between Arianne and the armored man. Really? And he didn't want to arrest her? It made her relax just a little, but he still made her nervous, and soon Arianne was stomping off with her friend in tow--no doubt off to complain about Pepper.

Now alone with the soldiery-looking man, Pepper swallowed hard. "Uh...I'm fine," she said with a weak laugh. She grabbed her hat, which had fallen from her head in the tussle, and plopped it back atop her head. It made her feel a little safer, hiding under the shadow of its wide brim like that.

"Just, uh, ya startled me. Though ya was a soldier." And he was huge! Even kneeling as he was, he towered over her and made her feel tiny.

Zero

Arianne and her friend were ignored as they left, Tatsu didn't so much as glance in their direction, his attention was focused on the girl in front of him, watching curiously as she put her hat back on. The girl laughed, and yet the sound seemed false to him. There was nothing funny to laugh at, was there? He hadn't thought so. A nervous reaction, perhaps, some humans laughed when they were afraid Yes - he was sure that must be it.

"A soldier? No, not a soldier. Soldiers are for killing, from my observation. I am a guardian - a protector - not a killer." Turning his eyes away he glanced about the garden he was kneeling in. After a moment he sighed and offered her his hand. "Allow me to help you up, Miss. I imagine your friends have gone to inform your keepers of your disagreement. I should probably leave before they arrive."

Rhindeer

Pepper hesitated for a second, but after a moment's thought, she grasped the man's wrist and hauled herself to her feet with a grunt. Alright, so he wasn't a soldier. That was really all she cared about there, that she wasn't about to get arrested and hauled off to some dark cell to rot or something. The guy still made her a little nervous, though--but it was less now. After all, there was no safer place than here, at the mage academy, surrounded by hundreds of mages and some very powerful Masters.

Now she was just nervous because, goddammit, Arianne was no doubt snitching on her!

"Yeah, you and me both," Pepper muttered when he mentioned leaving. "Fuck. I'm gonna be in so much trouble...uh. So. Ya said you're a protector, eh? Whatcha a protector of? Your protector-ly-ness wouldn't happen to cover people who punched other people and are gonna be so busted, would it?"

Zero

Tatsu straightened himself from his crouch as Pepper got to her feet, peering down at the small woman with unreadable eyes as she began talking again. She asked a good question - what was he a protector of? Nothing. All he lived to protect was gone, so calling himself a guardian seemed rather pointless. Still, it was all he knew.

"You did hit her. Why would you need protection? Being in trouble is not the end of the world. It is not as if your keepers will really harm you." He turned from the human girl and began walking leisurely towards the wall that he had vacated. It had been a nice perch for a time, but he would need to find another. This had become a much too busy location to find peace.

Rhindeer

"Of course they won't harm me! But I punched Arianne. Ya know? Arianne Di'Veera?" Pepper paused for dramatic effect and looked at the man expectantly, wondering if he knew the name. But since he was walking away, and since she was never very good at keeping quiet, she jogged on after him and kept on talking, anyway.

"The bloody queen's niece, she is! I mean, it's not like they'll behead me or expel me or whatever, 'cause apparently her mum sent her here to learn some respect, but fuck, I'm gonna get chamberpot duties fer like the rest of my life!"

Zero

The name Arianne Di'Veera had absolutely no affect on Tatsu, nor did the news that the girl was the niece of the queen. As far as he was concerned it hardly mattered who the girl's relations were. He didn't stop walking, and didn't seem concerned that Pepper was following him.

"You are an excitable child." He mused almost to himself as he listened to her. "Perhaps you will receive chamberpot duties, but you did hit her. Anything I did would only be helping you avoid punishment for something you did, in fact, do. It would be a disservice to you to keep you from learning a lesson you obviously need."

Rhindeer

"Okay, but you were there! Ya gotta admit the bitch had it comin'!" Pepper said as she trotted after him. "Ya heard what she said, right? I mean, am I wrong here? She's the one with lessons to learn! Namely in the realm of 'don't be a horrible human being'."

Zero

"I do not have to admit to anything." Tatsu corrected her gently. "Whatever she may have said, it did not give you the right to hit her, as evidence by your current fear of punishment. So yes, you are still in the wrong. Not to say she is innocent either, but that does not seem relevant to the current conversation."

He stopped and turned suddenly, pale eyes studying Pepper intently for a moment, as if trying to figure out some small, strange creature he did not understand. "What she said, was any of it true?"

Rhindeer

Pepper jumped in surprise, and came to a quick stop before she could run into him. His question made her scowl.

"What? That I'm a whore? Course not! S'why I'm so pissed! I mean, okay, I did run off with a guy..." Pepper looked up sharply and waved her hands. "But not fer the reasons she says! I was tryin' to get somethin' back, somethin' he stole, and then shit got bad, and those dumb fucks like Arianne are tryin' to make it out like I was off havin' fun just 'cause a guy was involved. Lemme tell ya, I was havin' the opposite of fun!"

She crossed her arms over her chest with a huff, face red, but with anger rather than embarrassment. Well, okay, maybe some embarrassment, too. Because she was leaving out the part where she'd flirted with Soren--because Kia, did she feel stupid about that, especially after what he'd done.

Zero

Her outburst was met with passivity, Tatsu's expression didn't change from the mild curiosity the entire time she ranted at him. That pose she was making, he'd seen humans do it before, usually when they were angry or upset.

"If what she says is not true, then why do you care so much? Do you like this girl? Do you care what she thinks? If she speaks only lies, then you should ignore them and go about your own business. It really is not your business to control what she says, you can only control how you react." He paused here, his lips may have only barely twitched in the hint of a restrained smile.

"Childishly is not the correct response. Your anger only feeds and empowers someone like her and it makes people take what she has to say more seriously. If you ignore it, well, then you obviously are not concerned with her lies and no one else should be either."

Rhindeer

"I hate her! And yeah, I do care what she thinks, 'cause she makes life miserable! You try ignorin' something like that. It ain't so easy," Pepper said with a frustrated huff, growing only more frustrated in the face of this man's calm. "Sayin' nothin's almost as good as admittin' guilt!"

She reached up to adjust her hat. "Besides, sayin' nothin' is just...it looks weak. Like yer scared. Folks gotta know they can't mess with ya."

At least, that was how it worked on the streets. If someone picked on you, why, you beat the shit out of them so they knew better than to pick on you again!

Zero

Humans were so excitable, how did they ever get anything done? Tatus couldn't decide if they lived such short lives because of how excitable they were, or if they were so excitable because they lived such short lives. An interesting thought, he would have to save that one to ponder later.

"Lashing out actually makes you look weak and scared. Your mere presence should be enough to show your strength, if it is not, then you simply are not strong or not confident. Or perhaps I have no idea what I am talking about, you are such strange things."

He paused and leaned down so that he could look directly into Pepper's eyes. "However, I have found that silence can say more than a thousand words when that silence is given by someone of real power. You could be someone of real power, you know. I have seen many with magical talent, but their light is but a candle next to the sun compared to yours. Do you even realize how special you are? I suspect not, or you would not be bothered by what an inferior girl had to say."

Rhindeer

Eh? That took Pepper aback, and she even took a step backwards in surprise when the man leaned down to look her in the eye. She shifted her own eyes away, feeling suddenly put on the spot.

"Um, I...what?" she said, and fidgeted with her sleeve. "I guess? Uh, why, what? Can ya like...see my magic or somethin'? Oh. Oh...wait. Ya heard 'bout the library, didn'tcha?"

And at that, she winced, because it was as much an embarrassing memory as it was a proud memory.

Zero

"The library?" Tatsu asked arched a brow as he straightened himself. Of course he had no idea what she'd done to the library, but naturally she would assume that, more easy to grasp than the idea that yes, he could see or sense magic and ability in others.

"I have my ways of knowing certain things, Miss. You are a very powerful mage, although unrefined. Your teachers must be very excited to have you among their pupils. I am curious if there are any other students of note. Before now I had not given these academies much thought, but I may have been wrong to dismiss them so quickly."

Rhindeer

Pepper snorted at that. "Yeah, they're real proud of me," she said, in a tone that conveyed she doubted that. But despite her doubt, she knew it was true. Master Maza, for one, had been very excited about her rock-ifying the library, and got all gushy about it while she'd been stunned with horror. And Master Cain had all sorts of high hopes for her, and was always encouraging her in his way.

She scratched behind an ear. "Anyway, it's a mage academy. There's lotsa good mages there. Lots better'n me. Folk tell me I got potential, but that don't mean I can actually do much, 'cept petrifyin' libraries and shit."

Tags: