Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Like Salt and Pepper

Started by Zero, May 08, 2014, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Tatsu shook his head, obviously the human child did not understand him. Not surprising. Humans rarely did. "I imagine what you and I consider to be a good mage differ greatly in definition. A learned mage is useless unless the potential was there to begin with. You cannot make a good mage through education alone."

Rhindeer

"Yeah, but..." Pepper huffed and tugged at the end of one curly strand of hair, then released it like a spring. "People got all these big expectations, and...what if potential's all I got? Like...like a dormant volcano that ain't erupted in centuries! It's got potential. But it might do jack squat."

Then she paused, looked up at Tatsu, and flushed red. "Er...sorry. Don't mean to rant atcha."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

It was the ghost of a smile, but a smile nonetheless. Probably the largest change of facial expression that Tatsu had given the entire conversation. What an amusing child.

"Do not apologize for your enthusiasm. The thing about potential is that if it is there then the only reason it will not come to something grand is a lack of effort. You have to want it. Badly. More than anything. Forget your classmates with their petty gossip and their jealousy. Focus on what is inside you, seize it, and watch them all fall away as you become a shining star while they are left in the shadow of your glory."

Rhindeer

Pepper let out a sudden laugh, her sullenness ebbing. "Y'know, yer pretty good at this pep talk stuff," she said, folding her arms over her chest and looking up at him. "Ya ever thought 'bout bein' a teacher? I wouldn't mind havin' more of yer lot 'round these parts, compared to a lot of the stuffy britches that roam those halls!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

"Stuffy britches?" Tatsu tilted his head, mild curiosity and confusion entering his pale eyes. "I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the expression. At any rate, I think you just paid me a compliment, so thank you."

He bowed slightly to her, hiding a hint of amusement. "I am a guardian, first and foremost, but I have mentored others before. I am afraid that I would likely make a poor teacher in an environment such as this."

Rhindeer

"Why's that?" Pepper asked, brow furrowing. "If you can mentor and shit and know magic and all, I'm sure you'd be pretty good at it! Unless ya mean ya don't wanna work around the stuffy britches, which...uh, valid."

Then she snorted. "Oh, right, stuffy britches. Uh, that means, you know...hrm. Like a person who's all stiff and serious and perpetually cranky like their pants are too tight and wedged up their ass. Know what I mean?"

Zero

"I will remember that for future reference." Tatsu said, mildly amused at the description she gave him.  Usually serious was how most people described him. "As for teaching, it is more a general dislike at being so restricted in my comings and goings. I travel a great deal, but if I taught at such an institution as this I think they would want me to remain fairly stationary."

A distant, but fairly quickly approaching, sound caused him to tilt his head. He rolled his shoulders slightly before looking down at Pepper with an arched brow. "I think they are coming for you now, Miss. I should leave, I am not sure they will appreciate my presence. Good luck with the, ah, chamber pots?"

Rhindeer

"What? You're leaving?" Pepper said, giving him a wide-eyed stare. "Ya can't leave yet! Well, I mean, sure, ya can, but--but ya was a witness!"

And as she said it, she grabbed onto his arm. "Ya saw what happened! Ya can, uh, tell 'em straight! Defend me!"

Zero

"You think that what I would have to say would help you? I saw you hit that other girl. Repeatedly. I do not understand how you think I can defend you, or why you think you need defended." Tatsu didn't think that information would be particularly helpful to Pepper. He certainly wasn't going to lie about what happened. The children fought, that was more than obvious by simply looking at the other girl.

Rhindeer

"'Cause ya heard the awful shit she said and saw that she deserved it!" Pepper said, desperation in her eyes.

She didn't want to clean the university's chamber pots! That was a lot of chamber pots!

Zero

"I did hear what was said, but that does not mean that I think she deserved to be beaten." Tatsu sighed, folding his arms across his chest as he resigned himself to having to deal with whoever was coming. Even Pepper would be able to hear them by now.

"You have really forced my hand on the matter. Let us see how this goes." He didn't think it would go well!

Rhindeer

"Well ya don't have to say ya don't think she deserved it!" Pepper said, lowering her voice as, finally, she could hear the sounds of someone approaching. Turning around to look, she was both relieved and horrified to see it was Cain, an elderly, white haired man with a thick beard and a slight limp.

Relieved because she respected him and he respected her, too, and helped her a lot.

Horrified because she respected him and he respected and helped her, too.

Ohhhh dear.

"Pepper, what is the meaning of this?" he demanded as he approached the two. "You beat up Arianne? Are you mad?"

Zero

Tatsu just gave her a flat stare, lips pressed into a slightly disapproving line. What did his opinion matter? It was her teacher that would decide what would be done. Since the elderly man had already come into sight he held his tongue, further arguing with the child was really pointless.

The man didn't waste any time, jumping straight to scolding the girl. Tatsu would have been happy to avoid being there for this part. He really would. Sighing, he bowed to the teacher respectfully. "If I may interject on behave of the young Miss? The other child involved in the confrontation began the fight by repeatedly provoking this young lady with verbal insults of a nature suggesting that she was both promiscuous and unintelligent."

Rhindeer

Cain turned to the man, looking confused by his presence at first, and then let out a long-suffering sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I can't say I'm surprised," he said, his voice softening, and Pepper's heart lifted with hope.

"Between the three of us, Arianne is--I'm sure you'll agree, Pepper--a spoiled brat. And I realize she's been...quite frankly, a bully. I trust you'll never repeat that. But! I repeat, are you mad, girl?"

"What was I s'pposed to do?! She was bein' a bitch and she had it comin'!"

"Perhaps! But she's also a Di'Veera, child! Have you forgotten that part?"

Pepper's shoulders slouched and she shifted her eyes away. "...No."

Zero

Tatsu straighten, rolling his shoulders as his eyes traveled between the two humans as they spoke. He would very much have liked to be somewhere, anywhere, else. An elder scolding a child wasn't something he felt comfortable interfering with, especially as the elder was on of the child's teachers.

There was something bothering him, however. "Excuse me, I have a question. I do not understand the significance of this other girl's name. Why is she allowed to behave so abhorrently because her name is Di'Veera?"

His expression was completely serious. Tatsu really didn't understand the reasoning.

Rhindeer

Both Pepper and Cain turned to stare at Tatsu then, their expressions mirrors of each other: wide-eyed surprise, eyebrows lifted, mouths slightly open.

He didn't know who the Di'Veeras were?!

Pepper piped up while Cain was still trying to find a polite way to explain things.

"Whaaa? Ya seriously don't know?! Like, y'know, our queen and shit?"

"Language, Pepper!"

Pepper ignored him. "Di'Veera? As in Qiana-fuckin'-Di'Veera? Arianne's her niece!"

Zero

"Your queen." Tatsu corrected Pepper gently. "You already told me the young woman was the queen's niece. My question was why she was permitted to behave poorly because she shared the same last name as the queen. Does her behavior not reflect poorly upon her majesty?"

Rhindeer

Pepper looked from Tatsu to Cain with an expression full of triumph, a see, what did I TELL you! sort of  look. And Cain returned that look with a resigned, long-suffering one of his own.

Rubbing the bridge of his nose where his spectacles pinched him, he let out a sigh. "Unfortunately, the only ones around to bear witness to this were Pepper, Arianne, Arianne's friends, and you, sir. Arianne's friends will certainly back her, and they are nobles themselves. And Arianne...well, no one will disagree with Arianne. It is two witnesses of lesser blood against multiple witnesses of noble blood, I'm afraid."

Zero

Had he just been referred to as lesser blood in comparison to some human whelp? Tatsu's pale eyes narrowed as he looked down at the old man, lips almost twitching into a scowl. To think, he had almost considered giving some merit to these human academies. These weren't schools, they were playgrounds for children where the children were in charge as opposed to the teachers. Well, where some of the children were in charge.

"The girl's friends cannot give an unbiased testimony of events, where I can. I had never seen any of the children in question before today, and therefore have no reason to lie in favor of either party. However, any further argument seems irrelevant. This Arianne," here Tatsu actually sneered, "seems to be above reproach. At least reproach from you. Pity I did not know this all beforehand. I could have saved time and aggravation."

Rhindeer

Cain let out a low sigh and rubbed his nose again. "Between the three of us, I would discipline her if I could, believe you me. But my hands are, unfortunately, bound by the bureaucracy of this college."

Pepper rolled her eyes. "That's a fancy way of sayin' nobles suck," she translated, and Cain shot her a look.

"Pepper!"