Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Like Salt and Pepper

Started by Zero, May 08, 2014, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"I rarely find pleasant company burdensome, Miss Pepper. I am quite pleased to have you accept my invitation." Tatsu turned her away from the cheap stall and began guiding her through the throngs of people towards a district of higher class. There were nicer markets near his shop if she wished to browse more, but of course she was just a student, and of low class, so he doubted she could afford such vendors.

"Tell me, Miss Pepper, have you always lived in Serendipity? Have you had the opportunity to travel very much?" He traveled a great deal of course, but he always did enjoy hearing others speak of their own little adventures.

Rhindeer

Pepper shook her head at his question, though she wasn't looking at him. She was currently watching where they were headed, noting the way even the buildings began to grow nicer and more well-made. They were heading toward the ritzier district, just as Tatsu had said, and a small knot of anxiety and rush of excitement grew within her in equal parts.

Even as a street rat, she'd never really ventured out there. Too many guards, and with her shabby clothes she stood out like a black cat in winter.

And now she was headed there with Tatsu, a clearly wealthy man! She plucked at her own over-large sleeves and then folded her arms, holding the scrolls to her chest. She still stood out, but maybe everyone would stare at Tatsu instead, since he was all dashing and fancy and handsome and stuff...

"Ain't traveled much outside of here. I was born and raised in Serendipity and aside from that..." She lifted her shoulders in a shrug, trying to keep her voice casual. "Been to Adela once." And what had happened in Adela convinced her that she was in no hurry to travel elsewhere.

Repressing a shiver, she glanced up at him and pushed the wide brim of her hat back so she could see him. "Lemme guess--ya been all over?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

"You could say that I have been a great deal of places, yes. Not everywhere, but a great many places. I only just returned today from a trip to Essyrn, truthfully. A very interesting place, Essyrn. Nowhere else is quite like it. Not only for the climate." Tatsu looked pensive for a few moments before shaking his head slightly. The climate was splendid, but the culture was...disconcerting. At least to him.

Putting it out of his mind, Tatsu tilted his head to look down at Pepper with a faint smile. "You said you went to Adela once? A very interesting place, Adela. You know that some people in their culture, perhaps a great many people in their culture, actually worship dragons. Did you happen to get to see any? I may not have a high opinion of dragon riders, but even I must admit they are a sight to behold."

Even if he thought humans riding and commanding dragons was a farce. No amount of respect, sympathy, or tenderness for humans could rid him of distaste at the idea of dragons being used as weapons of war in the control of human hands.

Rhindeer

Pepper shook her head, eyes wide.

"I ain't never seen a dragon before, no," she said, fiddling with her sleeves. "Don't know that I'd care to, honestly. Don't dragons eat virgin girls?" She shuddered, rubbing her arms. Nope. For all that her time in Adela had been miserable, she was at least grateful that she hadn't had the added horror of running into any actual monsters. She'd just gotten to deal with the human variety, and that had been horrible enough for a lifetime.

"Can see why folks'd worship 'em, though. I sure as fire would if it'd keep some giant hellbeast from roastin' me! I did hear 'bout the riders, and I gotta say, those people gotta have some big ol' balls on 'em, to be able to do that. Not much stoppin' a thing that big from decidin' it wants a snack..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Zero

Virgin eating Hellbeasts? Well, it wasn't as if Tatsu had never heard the great, colorful variety of rumors, myths, and legends around various dragons. He could even believe that at least some, if not most, held a grain of truth to them. There were few dragons quite like him. Some probably did not consider his kind to be "real" dragons at all.

Unintelligent people, of course.

"I agree they must be very bold to even attempt controlling a dragon in such a way, but I think you highly misunderstand dragons as a whole. Perhaps some eat humans - indiscriminately as I doubt they prize, or even notice, virgin girls above any other humans - but most do not. Some dragons are very intelligent, far more intelligent than humans." Or at least as intelligent. Tatsu wasn't sure he was far smarter, but he definitely did not have a bestial or animal mind.

The city had practically transformed around them as they'd moved further away from where they had bumped into each other. Buildings were grander and the streets wider with better paving here. It would not take long at all for them to reach his shop.

Rhindeer

"I think it's scarier that they're smart," Pepper muttered with a little shiver. "If they're smart, it means they know what they're doin' when they do it. If a wolf just mauls yer face, it's 'cause it's a wolf and it's what wolves do. If a smart dragon does it, it knows it's bein' a dick and likin' it. And they're so big..."

She cast a glance around them, eyes wide at the lavish sights unfolding around her. Without even noticing she was doing it, she crept in closer to Tatsu, as though hoping some of his posh sophistication would rub off on her and hide her frumpy looks. "They could probably conquer us all if they wanted to. Eugh. I dunno, I'm sure they're great an' all but I'd rather not take my chances! I like not being food."

Zero

"I doubt the intelligent ones eat people." Well, maybe some of them did. Hell, Tatsu probably knew less about other dragons than he did about humans at this point. His kind had never been keen on associating with other species of dragons. Things might have turned out differently if they had only been less isolated and aloof.

"At any rate, I think your chances of becoming dragon fodder are rather slim here in the heart of Serendipity." He turned them down a side street that was home to a variety of extravagant shops, from expensive tailors to his slightly more humble appearing store face. Tatsu paused in front of the building and looked up at it with a faint smile, gesturing elegantly. "Welcome to the Cabinet of Curiosities, Miss Pepper. My daughter named it, quite a flare for the dramatic, that girl."

Rhindeer

"Ya got a daughter?" Pepper blurted before she could help it, and suddenly he was way more interesting than even all the curiosities around her. She stared at him, eyebrows raised to her hairline.

"Really? But ya look so..." Young. He didn't look that much older than her! Maybe in his early to mid 20s. Which was old enough to have children, certainly. Hell, some women started as soon as they had their first bleeding, though times had changed and that practice had been labeled disgusting and barbaric by most. Most folks these days didn't start getting married and breeding until they were her age, maybe a little younger, and he hadn't said how old his daughter was. Old enough to talk.

Realizing what she had blurted, Pepper coughed and cleared her throat. "Sorry. I just. Huh. Ya never mentioned yer kid before," she said, before looking at the shop properly.

"Is it...okay if we go in?"

Zero

Tatsu hadn't realized he had said anything particularly shocking. Did he not seem like someone who would be a father? His expression was one of amusement as Pepper gawked at him, not needing her to finish speaking to realize she thought him much, much younger than he was. That made sense, humans were such short-lived creatures.

"I am sorry to shock you, Miss Pepper, but it had not occurred to me to mention my daughter. She had simply not come up in our very brief conversations." He stepped forward and opened the door for her. "Please, do go in and have a look around."

She would be followed by him. The door had given a little jingle when opened from a bell. There was some shuffling in the back as a faint feminine voice called out. "Be right there!"

Tatsu moved further into the shop, inspecting things to see what had changed in his absence - he was delighted to find that some things were no longer in their place, indicating they had likely been sold. A few new items he'd shipped from Essyrn were already on display.

It only took a minute for a pretty young woman around Pepper's age with honey-blonde hair to appear. She looked very much like a Connlaothian, right down to her manner of dress, and she looked nothing at all like Tatsu. Which might have caused some surprise when she squealed and launched herself at him as soon as her green eyes fell upon him.

"Father! You're early!" The words came out as an accusation as she hugged him. "I haven't finished cataloging everything you sent, but the shipment arrived without incident. I expected you home tomorrow."

Tatsu hugged her gently before stepping back. "Nellie dear, I would like to introduce you to Miss Pepper, she is a young mage at one of the colleges. I've invited her for tea."

Nellie blinked over at Pepper, obviously only just now realizing she was there. "Oh, gracious. Where are my manners? Hello Miss Pepper, it's nice to meet you." She dropped into a slight curtsy before turning back to her father with a smile. "Tea you say? I'll get that fixed right up, but you are getting no tea until you've changed! That is not proper attire for tea, mister." She waggled her finger at him quite comically.

"Quite right, my apologies. Be a dear and look after our guest while I do that." Nellie nodded impatiently and made shooing gestures. He sighed and took the hint, heading for a staircase in the back corner and disappearing upstairs.

"The nerve of him showing up early expecting tea dressed in that ridiculous armor." She gave a disapproving sniff before turning to Pepper with a smile. "I didn't know father had any friends at the colleges. But nevermind that, how do you like your tea?"

Rhindeer

...The blond woman was his daughter.

There were wonders all around Pepper in that shop of Tatsu's, and yet the moment that woman came rushing into the room and into Tatsu's arms, all she could do was stare at her. That was his daughter?! But she was like her age! And Tatsu hardly looked any older! And she didn't look anything like him! She was blond! Didn't even have the same facial or eye structure! Where were the similarities?

Pepper stared, mouth agape, as she struggled to make sense of the scene unfolding. It didn't add up, and once again it left her wondering...how old was he? She knew magic could have different effects on different people. Some people lived longer and heck, some people weren't even fully human. He looked like he probably had some elf in him or something at least so...

Oh man. Her head hurt. She had just assumed he was so smart and successful because he was a nobleman!

Oh! The woman was speaking to her. Pepper blinked in surprise, then quickly cleared her throat and did her best curtsy, which was much more awkward and sloppy than Nellie's.

"Uh, hi." Awkward wave. "Nice to meetcha too, miss," she said, trailing off as the woman stopped to admonish her...father. Face coloring, she looked down at herself as Nellie shooed Tatsu off to change. Was she wearing "proper attire" for tea? She had thought Tatsu very well dressed, and compared to the both of them she looked scruffy in her floppy, wide-brimmed hat and overly large robes.

Oh. Hat. Realizing it was impolite to wear it indoors, she quickly swept it off her head and knocked a small statue off a table, yelped in alarm, and dove to catch it. Landing hard on her knees, she caught it in her hat just before it hit the ground. "Uh...erm...sorry. Ah. Cream 'n' sugar?"

Zero

Nellie seemed as unfazed by Pepper's astonishment or fumbling as her father had been, either not noticing or simply unconcerned with the young mage's courser mannerisms. Her eyes did widen momentarily as the statue was knocked from its place. Most of the items in the shop were priceless enchanted artifacts, but she seemed surprisingly calm despite the fact that it seemed to have narrowly escaped destruction.

"Oh, are you alright? You didn't have to catch it like that." She stepped forward and retrieved the statue from Pepper's hat and placed it back where it had fallen from without a second glance. "Let's head to the tea room, shall we?"

The young blonde girl took the mage gently by the arm and led her into a back room out of the main shop. Comfortable chairs were arranged around a small table, a silver tray was already there with a tea set and a small platter of lemon cakes. Only one cup had been put to use, but Nellie quickly filled another with steaming water. There were ornament little silver tea infusers with a container of tea leaves open next to them.

"Please, have a seat and make yourself comfortable. Father will be down in just a moment. How did you even meet him?" Nellie was quite openly curious about Pepper, as she truly hadn't known about her father befriending a young mage.

Rhindeer

"Ya got a whole room fer tea?" Pepper blurted in astonishment, before her face went red at her own outburst. Er. Guess that showed how much she knew about how wealthy people lived, and she suddenly felt more ignorant and out of place than ever. Hopefully she could manage not to break anything while she was here!

She followed close beside Nellie, eyes wide as she took everything in as they passed. Everything was so cozy, but so fancy, too. Silver trays! Comfy chairs! Tasty looking cakes! Pepper's stomach grumbled at the sight, and she was quick to take a seat when offered, setting her hat down in her lap.

Ignoring the tea for the moment, she grabbed up a cake. Gods, she couldn't remember the last time she'd had sweets! The cake was halfway to her mouth when Nellie spoke, and she paused.

"Oh, er." How did they meet? Hoo boy. She gave a sheepish chuckle and scratched the side of her neck, staring down at her cake. "That's...a funny story, heh. He, uh...kinda saved me from some bullies." There. That was the sanitized version of it. No need to mention the part where she'd pinned the Queen's niece and punched her in the face. "He was kinda in the right place at the right time and, um, said I got potential and stuff...so..."

Zero

"Yes, more or less. I suppose you could call it a sitting room, it is where we usually entertain company, since we always offer guests tea I simply like to call it the tea room." Nellie chuckled softly, casting an amused glance at the floundering young woman. She had been raised by Tatsu on the road from a traveling wagon, but of course her father also had a great deal of money even then. Part of her was curious what it would seem like to someone truly poor and low class. After all, she could barely remember being the daughter of a poor farming couple in Connlaoth – that was another life entirely.

She seated herself comfortably in the chair across from Pepper, nodding her head as the girl explained how she had met her father – in as few details as possible, it seemed.

"Coming to the aid of a girl in distress does sound like Father." Nellie mused thoughtfully, it wasn't as if she didn't believe the story, it did sound exactly like what her father would do. Besides, if the girl lied her father could simply contradict what she had said as soon as she left. There really was no point in Pepper lying and so therefore Nellie had no reason not to trust what she said. "If Father says you have potential then you must be pretty powerful, no wonder he has taken an interest in you."

For a moment she could almost feel jealous of this other young woman. Nellie had no magical ability whatsoever, after all, and it was a fact she had always resented. Ah, but she hadn't needed any magic powers to wrap her father around her finger, had she?

"Feel free to eat as many cakes as you like, they're delicious." As if to prove her point she plucked one off the plate and nibbled at it delicately. Lemon tea cakes were her favorite. "Oh, but where have my manners gone? Did you have any questions? I saw the look of shock on your face when you first saw me, so I take it I am not what you expected?"

Rhindeer

"Ummm, well, I guess I just...didn't realize he had a kid," Pepper said as she took a large bite of the cake, closing her eyes as the flavors exploded on her tongue. Eat as many as she wanted? She was on it! She was rarely given sweets, so she planned on stocking up!

"Ohmigodsthat'sgood," she mumbled around her bite, and stuffed the rest in her mouth, forgetting her manners in her excitement. She spoke around her chewing as she picked up another cake. "Nothin' wrong with it, just y'all look young."

She swallowed, and pounded on her chest to help it down before taking a bite of her second cake. "He looks more like yer brother, not yer da."

Zero

It was a perfectly reasonable reaction and assumption. Tatsu didn't look old enough to be her father. Nellie was quite used to it. She wasn't quite as used to someone quite like Pepper, though it made her smile to watch the way the young woman inhaled the cake and reached for more.

"Yes, he does look young, I suppose. That is how he has looked all the time I have known him, and how he will probably still look when I've become a grey-haired old woman. The only real downside of being adopted by someone as ageless as father, or rather, the downside of someone like him adopting someone like me. I feel sad that I'll leave him one day, but I hope my future children and their children after them will continue to keep him company so he won't be too lonely." Nellie busied herself with fixing another cup of tea, shaking the small bit of sadness the subject brought her.

Rhindeer

Pepper heaved a sigh of relief--and nearly choked on the latest cake she'd shoved in her mouth. She pounded on her chest and swallowed properly this time before saying, "Ohhhh, you're adopted! Okay, that makes so much more--"

She stopped, blinking as something else Nellie said finally registered, if belatedly.

"Wait. Ageless? Whatcha mean he don't age?"

Zero

"Please don't choke! The cakes aren't going anywhere." Well, except into bellies, of course. She didn't even realize she'd said something worth taking note of in her explanation.

"I mean precisely that. Father doesn't age. He looks the same today as he did the day I met him when I was only six years old." Nellie thought it was a fairly simple concept. Surely Pepper knew there were non-humans about that did not grow old like they did. It probably hadn't come up in casual conversation between the girl and her father, though.

"Forgive my daughter, Miss Pepper. She sometimes forgets that most people are not accustomed to my uniqueness." Tatsu was paused in the doorway. His armor had been left upstairs, instead he wore a white silk shirt with ruffled collar, black breeches, boots, and a very well-made red long coat with quite fanciful golden embroidery. Overall it made him look very much like a wealthy socialite. A man that would have fit in with the highest members of society.

He had a wooden box with threads of gold inlaid on the top clasped firmly in hand as he approached the table and settled smoothly into the free seat next to Pepper. His pale eyes watched for her reaction now that she essentially been told he was immortal - not something he had really planned to reveal just yet, but what was done was done.

Rhindeer

WHAT?

She'd met him when she was six?!

And he looked the same as he did now?!

Pepper whipped around to stare at Tatsu as he announced his presence on cue--and her cheeks colored. Not just from embarrassment because how long had he been standing there listening in? but also because...er...that look suited him and she wasn't prepared for it. And that just felt wrong!

"Oh, er...s'all good," she mumbled awkwardly at his apology, shifting her eyes away from him and to the box.

Of course she knew about non-humans, and had even met some! Some people could turn into wolves like Soren could, and she'd met some folk who were half something or other, but ageless folk? She knew of them, but she had never met one in person. It was the same as how she knew about ghosts and stuff but had never seen one. Meeting them in the flesh (or, uh, spirit?) was always different than just knowing of them!

She was still wrestling with the news, wondering just how old he was and what he was, wondering what was in the box, and trying to ignore just how damned pretty he was because no, when he took a seat near her. She looked back up at him, found his eyes watching her, and awkwardness overcame her. She couldn't help herself--she talked when she got flustered, and the words spilled right out before she knew they were coming.

"So what're ya, a bloody elf or somethin'?"

Zero

"Or something." The corners of Tatsu's lips twitched, but he managed not to look offensively amused at her reaction. He did use the hand not gripping the box to point out that the tips of his ears were indeed pointed instead of rounded like a proper human. It was better for people to assume he had elf blood - and most of them did - than to know the truth of the matter. Given their very recent conversation on the subject of dragons he didn't think it wise to tell Pepper that he was one of the 'virgin eating hellbeasts' that she feared.

Hoping the matter of what he was had been settled for her, Tatsu turned his attention to the box in his hand. He had noticed that it had caught Pepper's attention. The box was a dark mahogany, the gold inlay was very well fashioned, looking like two roses and twisting, thorny vines.

"I said that I had items that might interest you, Miss Pepper. This is one of them." Tatsu placed the box carefully on the table and opened it. Inside was a bracelet, golden roses spaced close together and twisting golden vines creating the band. He gently lifted the artifact from it's container and held it out towards the young mage. "I noticed that you were interested in the cheap baubles that peddler was selling and thought you might appreciate seeing what a truly marvelous piece of craftsmanship looked like."

Nellie had remained silent through all of this, only leaning forward to see which item her father had brought out to show their guest, and smiling when she saw the golden roses.

Rhindeer

An elf! Well, that explained a lot. Like why he was so damned pretty. She really should have known, she sheepishly realized as he pointed out his ears, but she also wasn't in the habit of checking out peoples' ears. And besides, there was so much else to look at when it came to this guy that it was easy not to notice so subtle a detail.

Especially with him dressed like that. All fancy and dashing and shit.

Oh right. The box.

She straightened attentively as he opened it, eager to see what a rich person like him would keep in such an ornate thing. Something super significant? Some sort of enchanted item? A solid bar of gold that could feed a city for years? She noticed even Nellie leaned in to see it so it must be good--and then she blinked in surprise when he pulled out the rose bracelet.

And handed it to her.

"Uh, what?"

Pepper stared at it, then looked up at him, eyes wide in alarm and hands held up defensively. Oh no. That thing was beautiful. Golden. Expensive-looking. She was no connoisseur of fancy shit, but she could tell that was no cheap thing. Its quality was obvious, no noticeable seams or paint chips to be seen, and it looked delicate. Too delicate for the likes of her.

She hesitated, looking from the rose bracelet to Tatsu, to Nellie, and back again. She didn't want to break it, or mar it with her touch; she usually had ink or dirt smudges on her fingers, or in this case the remnants of cake, so she gave a panicked look down at her hands to check and rubbed her hands furiously on her robes. She also didn't want to be rude and leave him hanging, though, especially when he was doing this for her, so after a moment of silent panic she carefully took it in both hands and and looked it over. Hopefully her fingers weren't too sticky!

"Damn...it's pretty," she said awkwardly, still squirming inwardly because it was probably the most expensive thing she had ever held. Fuck, this was probably the most expensive seat she'd sat in, come to think of it. "Is it, uh, super special? Since ya keep it in that box? Like, do ya ever wear it or is it too like...irreplaceable for somethin' like that?"

You know. Just to have an idea of how much shit she would get in if she fumbled it. Right now she was a bit too nervous to move too suddenly.

Tags: