Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Great Escape!

Started by Cambie, June 16, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"That armor.." One of the women chimed in as she studied the pair. "It will catch a fine price. But you'd best be careful. There would be many questions asked when you present them with something such as that. Suspicions are at every corner, remember this. No where you're safe. No one is your friend, and the army protects no one."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Aryn was about to say something in retort, when the caravan leader gruffly called out to them.

"Alright, enough talk, let's get movin'! Maicon's Rest is close enough that we might get there by nightfall, then we'll be goin' our separate ways."

The woman looked back at Kella, inspecting her armor. "There's a blacksmith there, but best be wary of him. He's never been a savory sorta fellow."

visualspice

Kella gave a nod and thanks, but remained quiet until they arrived. She was surprised to find the village was.so small, probably the smallest she had ever seen, and despite that, she still couldn't quite spot the black smith as her eyes took in the town.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Aryn had no such problem though, for he'd seen a hundred tiny towns like this. Maicon's Rest was essentially one dirt road surrounded by a handful of scattered buildings. This town couldn't have had more than two dozen families.

The blacksmith, as he guessed, lay at the other end of town, buried in a small mound of snow. Despite that, an orange glow still emanated from the window.

Taking Kella's hand, he pulled her away from the caravan of people and toward the smithy. He didn't notice the way several of the caravan travelers suspiciously eyed the two of them as they went down the road.

visualspice

Kella was exhausted, both physically and mentally after all they had gone through. So she had a hard time keeping pace with Aryn, and found herself trying to keep as close to him as possible, and was too shy to even consider peering back at those that gave them suspicious stares.

Cambie

Though it was evening, the light from the forge shone brightly in the snow-covered landscape. A yellow-orange warmth emanated from the doorway and blast the chill out of Aryn's face as he entered the smithy.

The blacksmith, a thick knot of muscle with wispy white hair and a thin beard, turned to regard them. His eyes immediately widened and his body tensed as he spotted Kella's unmistakeable armor.

"...What can I do ye fer, Lady Knight?" he asked, clearly uncomfortable.

visualspice

The man wasn't the only one uncomfortable. Kella was so nervous, she wasn't even sure what to say, for her lips dropped open, but not a sound came out! But after a moment of realizing she must have looked quite foolish, she feigned a cough and asked, "To.. to make a trade. We're in need of some money. The winter has been bad... real bad..."

But even as she was saying it, she was wondering if this story would even be believable if she kept it secret she was not really a White Lily-
for that would raise more questions than necessary...

And the less people that knew about Kella, her identity and her escape...

It was all the better.

Cambie

The blacksmith's brow furrowed deeply at the talk of a trade, along with his expression of confusion. He slowly stood but refused to approach, as if just seeing her ornate armor caused him trepidation.

"Begging yer pardon, Lady Knight, but I don't understand" he said in a careful voice. And it was clear from that voice that he didn't trust a Knight of the White Lily. The tint in his voice almost spoke of defiance. "What do ye mean trade? Yer sacred armor..."

HIs voice trailed off and then his eyes widened again, so much so that Aryn, unsure of the man's motives, stepped protectively in front of Kella.

The blacksmith finally took a step forward with an awed, knowing look on his face.

"Yer no Adhara at all," he said.

visualspice

Kella cringed at how painfully obvious this all seemed. Her gaze immediately dropped. But when Aryn stepped in, she felt only a little better, protected, as he was always there, to be her shield. But that didn't stop her from feeling guilty, terrible, and her blue eyes reached out imploringly,
"Please... we really need the money." And her lips trembled and those blue eyes threatened with tears.

Cambie

The blacksmith stepped forward, and Aryn braced himself for something violent. But the man swept past both he and Kella. He closed the heavy doors to the smithy and slammed shut the open windows. The room grew a little smokier and hotter.

"Where'd ye get the armor from? Did ye steal it? Ye kill a Adhara fer it?" the man rattled off to them, not giving them a moment to answer before asking the next. His white mustache danced on his upper lip with every word.

"We-" Aryn began, but the blacksmith cut him off. He leaned in close and peered at Kella before saying in a quiet voice.

"Yer with the mage rebels? If so, ye came to the right man. I'll always help a friend o' the cause."

visualspice

Kella was taken back, her mind reeling over so many questions. And instinctively, when the man moved in close, she backed away. Her eyes danced with uncertainty, of fear, and as usual, the cat got her tongue, as she remained silent, shaking inwardly, and perhaps out.

Cambie

The blacksmith seemed to also recoil slightly when Kella fearfully pulled away. He raised his calloused hands in the air and said, "I mean no harm, folks."

Turning to Aryn, he continued.

"Look, I support the cause. Me own kin were taken to the camps, and I've been tryin' to fight the powers since. I'll give ye a fair price on whatever ye want to trade."

Aryn looked to Kella, then back to the man. "We'll give you the armor. It's fine stuff, castle-forged I'm guessing. Took it off a dead Knight."

Well, that wasn't too far a stretch. If the little blonde-haired flower knight let such a prized possession as Kella Harmond get away, no doubt that crotchety old general at the fort already had her in the dungeons, rotting away.

"We need weapons, clothing, food, and money. And, err..."

His eyes trailed down to his right sleeve, tied off at the elbow.

visualspice

At the idea of Aryn's lie about how they received the armor, a cold sensation gripped her belly. Dead..
For all she knew Lily was dead, or worse after all that happened. And the guilt made her feel ill and dizzy all over again. But she couldn't let that get her down. Now when she had come so far...

But she couldn't help it, and when the man went on with own story, she remained quiet and let Aryn remain in charge. But when Aryn went quiet, only then did she look up and those blue eyes of hers wondered to where Aryn was looking and she stared at the empty space for his hand.

At that, she sobered some, before turning to the blacksmith.

"And if it's possible, he lost his arm saving me."
Perhaps she did not have to go into details about it, for a real arm and fake one, in this context, were just about the same, but as the idea sunk in, she took a small step forward.
"Is there a way for him to get a mechanical arm? Something made of iron?"
Or stronger, but that she knew not if it were even possible.

Cambie

"Iron? Why would he want an iron hand? Iron is brittle, heavy, and rusts easily. Nah, that's a terrible idea," said the blacksmith with a shake of his head.

Aryn turned slightly red in the face and started to protest, but the blacksmith continued.

"Nah, steel is better. It's stronger and lighter, and it don't get rusty as easily. Tis some fine armor ye got there, that castle-forged steel is worth a lot. I can melt down some of it and maybe fashion somethin' useful. And I'll give ye a fair price for the rest of it."

With that, the blacksmith approached again to inspect the armor, but was stopped by the frowning Ironhand.

"She'll need clothes and money first, before we turn anything over."

visualspice

Kella couldn't believe their change of luck. And here, it was even better luck than before! Not only would Aryn get a new prosthetic, but it'd be an upgrade to what he was used to before. However, when Aryn rejected it, placing Kella first, she placed her small hand on his arm and gave a light squeeze.

"Only if it's simple clothing. I would never forgive myself to miss an opportunity for this man to have something better."

Cambie

"I'm already getting better," he said back to her with a slight grin. After all, it wasn't often he got to replace his arm at no cost. Plus, he had her.

"I ain't got nothin' fancy fer ye, but my daughter's about your size," the blacksmith replied, "How 'bout I give you those for now, then in the morning when the shops are open, you can go get something more suitable?"

Aryn looked at the man with a frown and said, "That'll do for now, but we don't plan on being here too long. How long will it take?"

The blacksmith looked back to Kella's armor.

"Such fine steel takes a delicate touch, son. It'll be a week at least."

visualspice

Kella froze at what he said.
A week? A hand clutched close to her breast as she tried to think over how dangerous lingering here would be for an entire weeks worth of time. But she also had to consider... would it be more dangerous here or elsewhere? In these lands, the snow dominated the land, and even if someone were to track them, they had come so far and there was so much fallen, fresh snow even she knew it would prove difficult.

But chewing on her lip, she could not help but worry, and waited quietly to see what Aryn was to say. She'd leave this decision up to him. After all, she trusted him above all else. And she loved him, Gods she did. If only she could show him truly how much she did...

But her body was forbidden, and they would never get the chance to become one.

Cambie

Aryn returned Kella's look, and clearly he too was uncomfortable with the prospect of remaining here for that long. He didn't know how far they'd come since escaping the Fort, but it still felt like they had hounds right on their very heels. And yet there likely wouldn't be another town anywhere nearby.

"We ain't got a week," he finally said to the blacksmith, who nodded briefly.

"It's dangerous everywhere, 'specially fer the cause," the grizzled old man said under his breath. "But if ye can wait that long, I'll have what ye need and you can be on yer way. I have a small barn out back with a loft with hay. It ain't much but you can hole up there until I'm done."

Once again, that critical eye analyzed Aryn.

"I might have some old clothing fer ye too. Can't have ye walkin' around looking like that. They'll know you killed a nobleman."

visualspice

Kella's grip on Aryn's arm tightened as she she looked to the old man and spoke barely over a whisper, as if she spoke any louder she and her words, might break.
"Thank you. We... things are complicated and I'm sorry we can't explain it all."

The man smiled, laughing for the first time only then as he eyed the pair.

"Just go find the barn and hay. I'll be there before dark." And he winked to Aryn. "And get yourselves a good lay in. You might not ever have the chance again."

Cambie

Aryn exchanged glances with the man, then looked down to Kella clinging onto his arm. There was a slightly pained look upon his features as he took her in. By Ansgar, he wanted her so badly, and to be forbidden from doing so drove him mad. How'd he fall in love with someone he could not touch?

That was the choice he'd made though, and in the end it was the right choice. There was something about her that he couldn't put into words, but every time he looked at her he felt knots in his gut. He wrapped his good arm around her.

"We'll be there. The armor is yours once you bring us clothes and the money," he said, still putting forth his bargaining face. But he knew the man had just done more for them than they could ever have asked for.

After a moment, he added gruffly, "Thank you."

The barn was easy enough to find, and a small ladder led up to a hay-covered loft. After the two had climbed their way up, Aryn proceeded to pull the ladder up to them. Better safe than sorry.