Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Great Escape!

Started by Cambie, June 16, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Kella released a squeaking gasp when both the bloodied Aryn fell beside her- then the Lily on top. Too afraid to touch her, or anyone, Kella flinched back, cringing as she squirmed in attempts to get away without touching or upsetting the precarious balancing act amongst this chaotic 'victory'. But she didn't have to wait long. The lily's unconscious body was shoved aside and a hand offered down to Aryn and Kella both.

"Come on," the black smith ordered, gruffly. "We need to get you two the hell out of here."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

It took even the stout blacksmith several tries to get Aryn on his feet, and he was still a bit wobbly then.  But he complied with barely a complaint.  Although he did take a moment to give the unconscious Lily an angry kick to the ribs.  The unconscious woman let out a low moan in reply.

The interior of the blacksmith's house had been dim, but outside was absolutely pitch black. And cold. Luckily the blacksmith seemed to know the way, leaving Aryn to grope blindly for Kella as they followed along.

visualspice

Though Aryn caught her hand, she tensed, fearing he might touch her flesh- but the worry only mingled with what had just happened as the pair ran off into the night. Her heart was drumming as they rushed through the swirling, snow filled world. And silently she prayed to Ansgar for any sort of forgiveness, any sort of grace- so that they might get through this, and have at least one more day to pray for another.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

The blacksmith led them away from the glow of the smithy and into the snowy hills beyond. The further they strayed from the village, the more difficult it became to see, except for the sliver of moonlight that lit the white path ahead.

And soon the three of them were joined by another cloaked and shrouded figure, then another.  By the time they stumbled their way to the top of a snowbank, the blacksmith had four ragged villagers with him -- and a handful of horses tied to trees just down the embankment.

"Down there, quickly," the blacksmith uttered breathlessly, wisps of white trailing from his mouth. 

"We're abandoning this village and taking you west and south with us.  We've taken what we can.  Food, money, weapons, armor."  He looked at them.  "We have your armor too, if you need it back."

Aryn was still trying to catch his breath when a suspicious look came over his face. "Wha-"

The blacksmith shushed him and looked straight at Kella. "We've been sheltering mages for years, it was only a matter of time before we were discovered.  And if we're to flee, we must take the most sought after mage in all of the duchies."

The old man's eyes almost lit up as he bowed his head slightly to the little woman huddled beside the one-armed man.  "Lady Kella Harmond."

visualspice

She couldn't believe the moment her true identity had been revealed, and though remaining stock still in the freezing cold,s he eventually mustered up the courage to reply. She nodded her head, before dipping it deeply towards him.

"And I will do all in my power to see these rights are wronged. To see you are given a proper thanks for all you've done to help. All you've done,.." and she looked towards the others. "And to the others before and after us."

Cambie

Aryn started to speak. "Wait, the last time we trusted strangers, they led a fucking band of Mordecai right to us."

He was quickly silenced by the deep frown of the blacksmith who also emphatically shook his head to Kella.  "No, milady, you have us mistaken for the rabble.  The group you came with were merchants and vagabonds with nothing to lose.  We, on the other hand... we have been fighting the cause for years."

He bowed his head low to Kella again as they reached the horses.  "Your thanks will keep us warm for years, milady.  Now please, we have little time before more soldiers descend upon us.  There are patrols all around this area.  We have to get you out, you and Lord-"

The blacksmith turned expectantly back to Aryn, waiting for a response.  Aryn stared back at him, face covered in dirt and grime, eye half swollen shut.  The Ironhand's mouth hung open for a moment and frosted breath hung still in the air. "Lord..." Aryn repeated.

He turned to Kella then and, despite his best effort, doubled over and erupted in laughter.

"You hear that? A LORD, he says!"

visualspice

Kella was jolted out of the graveness of the situation, staring at Aryn and not knowing (and being embarrassed for) his reason to laugh. She turned an apologetic look towards the blacksmith.

"Please, he is no Lord, but a close friend of mine.... and protector." Dare she say lover? But she wouldn't deny it if asked. She was not one to lie, nor to boast. She peered over at Aryn, and only then did a small, sheepish smile creep across her lips.

"Though I suppose he looks dashing enough to deceive most that he could be a Lord. A Duke even." And at such an idea, even her eyes sparkled a little.

Cambie

"Damn right," Aryn replied, thumping his chest with a closed fist. "Everybody around these parts knows the Ironhand, and know him well!  Why, they used to think I was highborn up north. I could walk up to a castle and they'd let me right in!"

At the shy little smile on Kella's face, his grin turned crooked and he puckered a kiss her way.  "The Lady's looked after well, you can be sure about that."

The blacksmith frowned slightly and disbelievingly, peering between the two of them.  "Protector?  My Lady, surely you could do better than a one armed man?  Ours is a band of seasoned veterans and loyal guardians."

visualspice

"Surely I could," she went on, a bit more confidence in her teasing tone. "But even nobility desire to be more frugal, and he's the best no money's got to offer."

Cambie

Aryn turned a deep shade of red in the moonlight, and nearly choked looking between the two of them.  He waved the stump of an arm at the blacksmith with a glower.  "I've got more balls and know-how than the whole lot o' you, with just this one stump!  And I'll have you know I have TWO good arms... we just sort of lost one on the way here."

He looked over at Kella again, and despite himself he could not help grinning widely again.  Gods, it pleased him immensely to know she was finally finding her self-assurance again.  "You see that?  Only time I ever work free!  Normally they'd be payin' me buckets."

visualspice

Her smile swelled broader. She couldn't tuck it away, though she tried.
But then she turned back to the others.
"Your offer is most kind. And what you have done so far for your country... I hope you know your efforts are not in vain. There's still hope." And she turned, smiling at Aryn. "And I'm glad I've seemed to have found mine again."

Cambie

Aryn couldn't help himself.  He took two long strides over to where Kella stood in the frozen snow and, despite looking haggard and worn out, he draped his thick arm around her waist.  "Where she goes, I go."

The blacksmith pressed his mouth together as though trying to understand the two of them.  After a while though, he decided it wasn't worth the effort, and bowed low to Kella.  "I thank ye fer yer kind words, my Lady. We will guard ye - and your protector - with all we have. I swear it on the lives of my children."

He brought over two horses, and soon the entire group was mounted up, down in that little shallow snow-filled gully, ready to go.

"'Kella's Cohort,'" Aryn said to her. "I'm makin' the decision right now.  That's what I'm calling this group."

visualspice

She looked up at him questionably, but said nothing. She'd let him have his little quip. She had been tired after hers. Once seated on her animal, she settled in for the long journey ahead. She wasn't sure how far they had to go, but an hour into the uneven riding had her half falling asleep.

Cambie

The small group traveled quite rapidly despite the heavy snows that still blanketed much of the landscape.  The blacksmith -- Micah, as he finally introduced himself on the second day -- said that there would be much more by the spring thaw, and that the portents promised Connlaoth's worst winter in a hundred years.

Little was said among the group, or at least little that Aryn was privy to.  Every question he asked of the ragged band was quickly rebuffed, to the point where he'd complained to Kella about them not knowing just who the hell he was.

Finally, on the fifth day of seemingly directionless travel, Micah approached the two of them as they sat huddled around a sparse midday fire.  Of course, he ignored Aryn and went straight to Kella.

"Milady, I fear the Mordecai are still on our trail, no more than a day or two behind.  We are comin' up at a crossroads of sorts soon, and ye must make a decision.  West, and we may eventually reach the coast where we could hire a ship... if we can find the coin.  We could turn south, but tis a long way and I fear we will not make the Serendipity border before the winter snows us in."

He coughed a bit.  "And north is the Army of Turgall.  Perhaps it would be safest if we returned ye to yer brother's camp?"

visualspice

Kella froze at such a proposition. Mordecai on their tails, her brother breathing down their backs, and a war in every which way they turned. She blurted out suddenly, "No! I will not be taken prisoner by my brother."

And those who didn't understand what precisely she meant, all looked at her. And she found herself at a loss of words.

"I.... it..... it wouldn't be safe," she mumbled, trying to back track a little after her sudden out burst. "I... I think the coast.. to the ocean.. is the safest.. wisest choice."
And her best option, at the moment, to get the hell out of Connlaoth.

Cambie

"Prisoner? I do not understand," the blacksmith finally replied.  After all, why would the lady's own brother take her prisoner? No man would sack the great Fort Dhagh if he were not a friend to mages.

"Damn right it wouldn't be safe," Aryn interjected hotly.  "Did you not see those fuckin' mordecai back in town? They were ready to split us in two!" And split him apart from his Kella, which really got Aryn seething.

"Begging yer pardon, my lord," the blacksmith replied, the words 'my lord' almost forced out of his mouth.  After all, it was beginning to be clear that the one-armed man was no lord, but just an imposter.  "But the mordecai who threatened ye... the White Lily who ransacked me home... they flew the banner of the Grand Duke."

visualspice

Kella grew silent, letting all of this information settle into her belly like a cold stone before she raised her blue eyes to the man and said, "In war, these are uncertain times. Anyone can fly a flag and claim fealty. In the future, look past the banners to what men say and do. As for my own path.... to the West. I will make my way West."

Cambie

The Blacksmith gave the Lady one more look, digesting the information, before slowly bowing his head.  "As the Lady wishes." And that was the end of that.

They traveled quick and light, stopping only briefly to water the horses and take a quick meal.  They never stopped until well past sunset, and oftentimes were on the move again when the sky was still dark. 

And for good reason.  The landscape in this part of the country was beginning to look more like a ruined battlefield than civilized habitation.  They passed more than one farmstead that had been put to the torch.  Sometimes they would find the dead.  Other times, those refugees that had no homes left, no food, and likely no chance of surviving the winter, for the air was already starting to become bitterly cold.

Not to mention the roving bands of vagabonds and patrolling soldiers.  They could never tell whose banner the soldiers flew, nor did they care to get close enough to find out.  Instead, they always took the long way, skirting around any large gatherings of armed men if they could do so. 

Until one grey day, when the Blacksmith stopped the group just before a low ridge ahead.  His face was grim as he whispered furiously with the other strangers in the group.  Finally, he stepped over to where Kella was horsed and broke the news.  "There's some sort of battle goin' on ahead, but we can't get around it.  We'll have to sneak our way through."

visualspice

The road had been long and tiresome. More than once Kella wished she was more 'human' when she and Aryn shared a tent in the night. But things were far to grim for her to pursue desires, not when there was an army at your back, and now, as a knot formed in her throat- an army,  a war infront of her.

"Can we not wait it out?" she asked, not liking the 'only' option one bit.

Cambie

"Aye, and risk the Mordecai catchin' up with us, milady," the Blacksmith warned.  "The thick of the fightin' is around the outskirts of the town ahead, we may be able to sneak through."

Though in the distance, wisps of smoke from burning buildings were already visible.