Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Great Escape!

Started by Cambie, June 16, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"And you think these mordecai would still come... still follow us?" she asked, turning to him for counsel. But no matter where they went, she knew there would always be a rock and a hard place. She turned her blue eyes to Aryn.

"You've traveled with me the longest, and know my plight well." Her eyes sought more deeply into his before asking, "What do you think we should do?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Aryn peered back down at her with hard green eyes full of worry, even as he tried to lighten the mood.  "I think we should go back to Vanille and have some cake."

But when nobody took the joke, he frowned and gestured toward the town  "They say that way leads to the shore. The shore leads to a ship. And a ship brings you to safety. I vote we go that way."

visualspice

She had been holding a breath through his joke, through his choices and nodded, turning from him and releasing a long stream of white breath.
"Then forward we go."
And she found the need to draw in a very deep breath as the smoke continued to curl and rise.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

"As milady wishes," the Blacksmith said, and said no more.

They pressed forward slowly in the thick snow, though as they neared the village it began to churn with mud from dozens of boots.  Weapons were pressed into the hands of both Aryn and Kella. 

The town seemed almost abandoned, but the faint sounds of shouting could be heard beyond the treeline to the south.  Several of the buildings were fully ablaze, sending plumes of choking ash and smoke high into the darkened sky.

As they sneaked down the main dirt road splitting the town in two, a harried-looking family turned the corner trying to flee the battle, but bumped right into the group.  The young daughter, no more than six, let out a loud-pitched scream.

visualspice

Kella's nerves were on edge, and the moment the child screamed, she gasped and dropped down from her horse. Her legs felt like jelly from the ride, but some unseen, numbing strength pressed her onward. With gloved hands, she moved towards the family, towards the child, and said, "Do not be frightened, little one. We mean you no harm." She peered back towards her rag tag band of men before returning her eyes to the family.

"Keep heading down the path we have tread. You'll find no battle that way," she assured them, hoping that, if the mordecai were on their tails, they'd leave the family alone.

Cambie

The family flinched away from Kella as she approached, though the child stood frozen in place, shaking.  From the looks on their faces, it was hard to tell whether any of her words reached their ears or if they were simply too shocked and frightened to care.  But a glimmer in the mother's eyes flared up in the dying light and she quickly gathered up her child.  With a despairing look at Kella, they disappeared down the path Lady Harmond had pointed out.

"Shit!" shouted the Blacksmith, and the sounds of a half-dozen swords being drawn rang clear.  "They heard the kid... look sharp, 'ere they come!"

And from the far end of town, a group of armed men wearing muddied and ripped soldier tabards caught sight of them through the hazy smoke and charged toward them with a collective shout.

visualspice

At the sounds of the men's charge, Kella froze. It was all happening so fast...
Her worst fears escalating into a real life nightmare. Cringing, she took a step back, too stunned to think or do anything when the blacksmith called out,

"Arm yourselves and protect the Lady!"

Cambie

Aryn was torn between holding onto Kella, and releasing her and making use of the axe that had been pressed into his hands.  But when the other men formed a protective circle around her, he found himself at the very front of the formation.

"Finally, a little head-knockin' action!" he said, loud enough for the rest of the anxious men to hear.  That was the Ironhand talking, not Aryn.  As his own words rang in his mind, he wondered why he'd said it. 

There was no time to answer that, for as the soldiers closed in on them, the ragtag group charged forward to meet them in a swirling melee in the middle of the streets.  As the battle began, the buildings around them, previously seemingly devoid of any life, suddenly erupted with movement as the few townsfolk who'd hidden inside began streaming out, in an effort to flee while the soldiers were distracted.

visualspice

At each clash of swords, Kella felt her heart jump to her throat, a hand clutched to her chest and gripping her cloak so tight her knuckles went white. Frozen as she was, the battle still thrived, and when a man near to her was cut down suddenly, she gasped and stumbled backwards, tripping onto her knees in the snow.

Cambie

After the second man he cut down with a heavy swing from his now-bloody axe - and after about the hundredth time he nearly slipped in the mud and snow, Aryn had to retreat from the melee to catch his breath.  By Ansgar, he'd ever felt so tired in a scrap, though it was true that he'd just been through the most hellish of journeys.

He didn't have long to catch his breath, as a third soldier lunged toward him.  Luckily this one had already been wounded by an errant sword slash from one side or the other.  Once he'd gotten over the surprise of it, he was able to parry the soldier's swing and drive his thick leg into the man's gut.  As the soldier doubled over, he drove the axe right into the man's back, sending him crashing to the ground near Kella - and sending her tripping over her own feet.

Aryn wanted to laugh at the absurdity of what was happening, but instead he slid to his own knees beside her, breathing ragged wisps of white air.  "C'mon, back up on your feet, little princess, and let's get the fuck out of here!" he said with more than a little urgency, letting go of the axe and offering a hand to her.

visualspice

She didn't remember taking his hand, but as she was pulled to her feet she felt her heart go up her throat. She nearly retched. Were it not for the rush of survival pushing her along, she just might have collapsed right then and there. But she was holding strong to Aryn's hand and moved as swiftly as she could at his side, seeing how the group of men had been conquered. It was time to keep pushing through.

Cambie

They'd run to the edge of town by the time Aryn stopped to catch his breath.  The rest of the party was still some lengths behind them, only having just dispersed the remaining soldiers.  Many of them were bloodied, and some had been left behind to die.  That was the way of war.

Behind them, a surprised shout echoed through the air as the Blacksmith and his party were suddenly beset upon by another group of soldiers.  Aryn nearly turned to rush back but, from beyond the pines, a distant horn sounded. Gritting his teeth, Aryn muttered anxiously, "We have to keep moving."

visualspice

Kella cringed at the sound too. Infact, ever since that man was cut down dead before her she'd been clutching her hands into tight, painful fists. Now at the edge of the town, as exhausted as she was, she didn't want to stop here. They weren't out of the clear yet.

She was catching her breath as she looked over her shoulder.
"What about the others?"

Cambie

A pang of guilt twinged in Aryn's gut, though it might also have been the combination of tiredness and the fighting he'd just been through.  Sure the Blacksmith and his crew didn't trust him.  But they had saved the pair's lives.

"They'll be fine," he lied to Kella through his teeth, not even bothering looking back as he pulled her along.  The shouts from the fighting grew more distant the farther they got -- but the horns on the other side of the trees seemed to grow louder.

visualspice

Her breath caught in her throat. She stopped dead in her tracks.
"Aryn..."
She pressed into his side, hearing the rumbling approach of an army. Her blue eyes went wide as she looked up at him, and soon an entire screaming army was breaking through the trees.

Cambie

Aryn skidded to a halt, his boots kicking up a slush of snow and mud.  There was an army charging to them from the front, and a village in flames to their backs.  A rock and a hard place. 

With a loud curse he pointed to their left, at the mountains looming in the distance.  They'd just come from the mountains, but there was no where left to go.  "That way!  We'll get to the hills and follow them east!"  Or west.  Or wherever the hell it was safe anymore.

visualspice

Where could they go that it would be safe? Every step brought them towards danger. The army seemed to be everywhere, and they weren't even running away from one army- but two. Kella stepped closer to Aryn's side and released a white puffed breath. Then nodded.

It really didn't matter the direction they took, but this mountain path seemed more treacherous than the last. And with the pair getting separated from the others so quick and fast....
No, that was not something she needed to worry about. There were so many lives at stake here- including her own.

It was cold, bitter cold and the winds were biting. Even through it, part of her wished it'd storm. A storm could easily hide their footing, hide their tracks, as they scrambled along and were barely able to hide their own. They hadn't really the time. They needed to stay ahead, and no matter which way they climbed, the echoes of the approaching army loomed closer.

It wasn't until Kella's boots caught a patch of ice that she felt herself free fall, if not briefly, before she caught herself against Aryn's side. Though her screamed caught to the winds and carried downward, something hard and pressing made her realize at least she was alive- and hadn't fallen down to her death. Trembling, she peeled herself away to realize she had been saved by Aryn- but she hadn't the chance to thank him when an arrow sunk between their head, shaking as it stuck into the mountain side- inches away from their certain death.

Cambie

The heavy gusts of wind and the searing cold made the uphill trek that much more treacherous, and Aryn found himself struggling to find balance with his missing arm as they pressed through the mountain path.  When Kella let out a bloodcurdling scream and clutched onto him for dear life, he nearly lost his footing as well.  Thankfully the ice underneath did not send the both of them tumbling back down the mountainside, and he could only turn and stare at Kella, teeth chattering -- until the arrow plunged into the hill right between their heads.

Taken aback, it was Aryn's turn to let out a scream.  "That almost hit us, you fuckers!"

Almost immediately he regretted it as the archer shouted something indistinguishable back at them.  And then more arrows began falling all around them as other soldiers joined in the chase.