Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

About the Gods

Started by Lloyd Orodelo, September 05, 2014, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Orodelo

First of all, I am not from U.S.A., Australia, England nor any other English speaking countries. Well yes but... Ugh it hard to explain.... I am from Montreal (Quebec, Canada). I speak mainly french. I ask you to forgive my clunky English.

I know you said to me many many times that God character are now forbidden unless they are like uber-nerfed (ex: Baerron). But I wondered if you could had a rule someday that gods cannot act on their own.
Since you don't want them to overpower everyone else and overshadow then, breaking the rules and laws of SotE, of physics and time/space, etc. I propose to had the rule that fallows.

Suggestion 1: The follower rule;
A god needs to establish his own cult: In his character description, the player must insert a part describing the cult to his god (what kind of god he is, what kind of power he has, why is his cult dying, etc.)

Suggestion 2: the dying cult condition
The only reason a god would walk on Le'raana is to bring his cult back to life. It is actually based on Chinese mythology, it is said that when all the followers of a certain god dies or stop believing in him, the god dies.
So by that logic, a god could possibly walk Le'raana but only until his cult is brought back to a safe level.

(Some people love geopolitics, why not the building of a worldwide cult?)

Suggestion 3:
As you mentioned on The World page, a god or the user of the immortal forces don't really used his powers but for granting wishes and favors. I suggest that a god cannot use his powers unless he goes through immense and atrocious pain, forcing them to use their OP powers only once or twice the 100 post (or something you will find more appropriate).

Suggestion 4: The weapon/item for catalyzing their powers
(This one came while listening the anime Noragami, the original info gave in the anime can be found here: http://noragami.wikia.com/wiki/Shinki )

When a god sees a willing soul and wants to take it as his/her Regalia, the god must give two names to it. The names are written using the god's own life.The names will then be imprinted on the soul's body, marking the ownership for said spirit.

The first pronunciation is the Regalia's actual name.Using the first name changes the Regalia into its human form. The second name is the vessel name, is used to changes the Regalia into its item/weapon form.

Responsibilities of a God to a Regalia:
After taking a Regalia as his/her subordinate, a god is to provide basic necessities for the Regalia (shelter and clothing to be precise; other things like food, drink, entertainment etc. is optional). The god is also to train a Regalia if the Regalia is still new.

Aside from basic necessities, the god bears the responsibility of taking the burden of all the emotions the Regalia has, and sins it does. The burden the god bears is in the form of stabbing pain on the back of his/her neck.

Responsibilities of a Regalia to a god:
A Regalia is responsible to obey his/her master at all times, control their emotions, and also control him/herself from falling into temptations that lead to committing sins. This is because the name bestowed onto him/her is actually connected to the god's life, and therefore any kinds of disturbance - intense emotions, sins committed, death - will be sensed by the god in the form of stabbing pain.

Cronowind

I generally tend to see the gods like this.

A true god is a being of power that spans over the entire world. They are everywhere at once, and see / know all things. These gods are often bound by rules (like a decree with the other gods) that they will not interfere directly with the lives of mortals. They provide power to those who worship them, and sometimes give people a vision.

Rhi has come out and said she believes gods should be always a 'if', as in, there is no proof either way if they are real or not. Clerics could honestly get their powers from worshipping an alien being on a distant star who wears yellow robes and plots dark designs upon earth. It doesn't matter, so long as they pray for them.

As for the people playing gods that are not the canon gods. I believe these gods are what are called 'interloper' gods, and are -not- all knowing, feeling, and cannot be in all places at once. They have a physical form, known as an avatar, which wanders around. These gods are more akin to really, really powerful spirits being the physical embodiment of something. Like, a 'god' of fire would really be the first Elemental to ever be born out of the creation of the universe.  They too, can grant powers to clerics. The most important thing about this however, is since these gods create avatars. People can kill them.

And if you can kill a god, then you aren't a real god. Just a spirit that is worshiped as a god by primitive people. Which is really fun to roleplay.

Think the Gods and Demons from the Animated Film Princess mononoke.

Thats my two cents on the matter.

Zane

Hello! Zane here!

I have an overwhelming number of god/immortal/omnipotent deities, either as a Joined character or a non-joined character, all of whom were grandfathered in.

Excluding the plot works for the guild Vigilant Shadows, I still have an two very strong characters, Raiden and Eris.

Raiden is a fallen deity, fallen from a corrupted system of transcended beings. This is my loophole, he is not technically a god, he is not omnipotent, but he is still extremely powerful, to counter this, I do not accept accept threads where combat or fighting against another person's character is the main focus, instead, I try and focus on other elements of the story.

Eris is more about pleasure, comforts, and ease of task. Non-combatative.

the way I see it, if you have to have a super powered character, don't make their power the focus of the thread. Put it elsewhere.

Winters-Feather

if you want a super powerful, other wordly creature, make a new species or a spirit.. thing XD

this is what i think...

It'll also probably be way simpler on everybody's part to just not make gods.   You do bring up some really interesting suggestions, like the people believing in them stuff.  Still, all those ideas would really only be in check of the player playing that character. (for ex. the player determines how much pain their character goes through, how many people believe in them, etc.)  And it's just another way we keep each other in power check.  Gods are super easy to get  overly OP with.

also, more than 'primitive' people worship spirits lol a lot of people do. (for example, the people in Princess mononoke had friggin advanced GUNS)

The others have explained pretty much everything else...