Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This hurts me more than it hurts you. [M] [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 22, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Exasperated, Briar returned to stuffing her face, feeling like her stomach had become a bottomless pit that would not be filled. As she ate, she kept an eye on her surroundings--which included Dirk and Polly--and hated herself a little every time her eyes lingered a bit too long on Dirk.

Stupid handsome bastardly idiot. It really was a shame that he had to be all...by the bloody book. Shame, too, that he was so naive he hadn't yet figured out the law was bogus, and mostly just benefited the very privileged.

She nibbled her rabbit leg to the bone, and ran her finger through the juices on the plate, licking those up as well. She was still mopping up the excess when Polly spoke, and she shot a look at the girl with her eyebrows raised.

Now she was speaking. And she was gutsy enough to ask for more food. That truly was progress, when Briar had thought she might still be in shock, or so withdrawn inside herself that she was lost to the outside world.

She licked her fingers clean, still watching the girl--the girl who was probably a lot more perceptive than either of them knew--and then looked back to Dirk. She'd had a thought as she ate, a rather unsettling one, but it would definitely need to be addressed, and soon.

"Hey. Hey, Dicky-pants?" she called, setting her plate aside and taking up the wine. "A word when you're done there, huh?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"One moment," Dirk told Briar. He finished cooking the steak, medium well, piled it with more vegetables, and took it to Polly. After sliding it onto her plate, he reached to pay the girls head, and she flinched so hard she almost dropped the food. Dirk retracted his hand from her and gave her an apologetic look.
        "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," he said to the girl, "Perhaps unsolicited physical contact is too much as of yet." As he walked away to find out what Briar wanted, Polly was visibly trembling. She may be tough, but it would not do to rush her.
        "Is there something else you need," Dirk asked Briar, "more to eat perhaps?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...Oh good lord.

If anyone knew what it was like to cringe from touch, it was Briar, and watching Dirk's failed interaction with Polly was enough to make her grit her teeth in pure empathy. It was painful, like watching a wagon crash in progress, and she almost got to her feet before her body ached in protest.

She sat back down and took a long swallow of wine. Whatever. Wasn't like she cared or anything. Wasn't her problem, wasn't her business, and she'd be gone and done with them both soon enough. She had nearly drained the mug by the time Dirk approached her, and she set it back down and pointed to the ground before her, signaling him to sit.

"Yeah, I'll take more, duh, but that's not what I'm talking about here," she said, keeping her voice low. She shot a glance at Polly, and then looked back at Dirk. "Now listen up, Dicky, 'cause this is kinda important, alright? You're gonna wanna head off into the woods and scout around for a plant with bright red berries, they grow in clusters of three, usually in shady, damp areas. The leaves are big and broad and waxy and kinda got like veiny white-ish patterns or whatever on 'em. It's called Bloodseed, but that's not important, what's important is you gotta gather up like a good amount of those berries, bring 'em back here, boil 'em in a tea and get Polly to drink it. Like yesterday."

She gave a little shrug. "It tastes nasty as fuck, but...y'know." Another shrug. "Helps with...womanly shit. But it's also supposed to help with other shit." And she lowered her voice even more. "Like unwanted babies?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"I think that's probably a good idea," Dirk agreed. "Normally I would be against an act that takes the life of an unborn child, but in this case." He let the silence hang, the thought didn't need to be finished. A young girl, used as a sex slave, didn't need the prospect of a pregnancy by her rapists. Polly looked too malnourished to be able to get pregnant, or sustain a second life if she did. That didn't mean the precautionary action shouldn't be taken.
        "I'll do so now."
        Dirk stood, and walked away from Briar to clean himself up. Once he had, he donned his gear, and set off to find some Bloodseed. It wasn't a plant he was familiar with, but maybe Rit overlooked it because Dirk wouldn't need it as a man. He searched for a good hour before finding the plant with its little red berries. He picked every one of the berries and even took cuttings of the plant for good measure.
        On returning to camp, Dirk did as Briar had instructed, making a tea from the berries. He added a few other ingredients to the brew. Some actual tea leaves, baby green tips, known as white tea. Along with that he added pieces of a dried pear and a dried peach. To finish it off, he sweetened it with honey that he had only just gathered a few days earlier. Once he was confident it had steeped long enough, he strained it into a mug. It smelled quite pleasant.
        "Drink this, it's tea with medicine in it," Dirk handed the mug to Polly, "Briar said it's very helpful for women."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It would have been the perfect time to leave.

The perfect excuse to send Dirk away and just...escape.

But Briar hadn't made the plant up, and she was in no condition to escape, so she stayed where she was and nibbled at her food. When she finished it, she wound up dozing again, full and exhausted as her body worked on healing itself. Dozing was better than the awkwardness of being left alone with Polly, in any case. She still wasn't sure what she was supposed to say to the girl--and she didn't yet have the energy to try to figure that out.

When Dirk returned, she roused from her light sleep but didn't get up from where she lay, instead watching from cracked eyes to see that he'd found the stuff, and that he was making it correctly. Ah, yep, that was Bloodseed all right. She watched him add other ingredients to the mix, and pursed her lips. It probably wouldn't help much; Bloodseed was bitter as hell, and her own attempts at sweetening it had just made it a sweeter sort of nasty. But as Polly drank it, she didn't recoil or make a face, and instead sipped it down like it was nectar.

...Well then.

"I see ya found it alright," she said on a yawn, stretching sorely. "Hope you got extra. I'm gonna need that shit in another couple weeks."

Aeytrious

"Indeed I did," Dirk agreed. He wasn't sure all what the herb did, but if Briar needed it within the next couple weeks, then it must have more benefits than he imagined. He stored it away for later use, but not before wrapping the ends of his cuttings in moist cloth treated with herbs that would prepare the plant to root.
        After pouring another mug of the tea, Dirk stripped back down to his thin garment, so that he might finish his work on the meat. The tools he used were subjectively new, and of fine crafting. Made of some sort of polymer material they had on Libra Station, they were nearly indestructible, never needed sharpening, and wouldn't be crafted for thousands of years. The separated bone and sinew clean and with ease, making the entire process finish in half the time of modern tools. Of course, Dirk did have to take extra care. He didn't want to lose a finger to carelessness.
        It didn't take long for task to be finished. The cuts were separated and treated accordingly, then wrapped and packaged for later use, or hung to be dried or smoked. Dirk cleaned the area of his work, and then moved to the task of oiling his gear, blades, boots, armor. Everything needed to be tended on a near daily basis to be kept at peak efficiency. As he sat to get through the task, he also brought out Briar's clothes and gear, with every intention of tending them as well.
        "After I finish this, we should all go down for a communal bath."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar watched Dirk as he worked, attributing his speed to magic rather than technology. Not that she was paying much attention to his process so much as the way his thin clothes hugged his body and revealed the outline of his muscles. Hey, might as well enjoy the free show while she was an invalid, and for now, at least, Dirk was in her good graces. As good as her graces got.

For the most part, she believed he was sincere in his reluctance to use the collar--but that also didn't mean she fully trusted him, because reluctance and regret didn't mean he wouldn't do it if he felt the need. But as long as it stayed off her neck, she could relax a little, precarious as her situation was.

She sat up gingerly, checking the stitches in her hands, and looked up when Dirk spoke. Communal bath. Oh joy.

She fought back the rising blush. Oh joy, indeed...

"Uh, sure, Dicky. Sounds good," she said, fighting against the equally rising awkwardness. "I could use the soak. I feel like I was run over by a fucking horse. Got anymore of that medicine shit?" It was finally starting to wear off--though she didn't feel anywhere near as sore as she should have.

Aeytrious

"I do," Dirk said. He paused in his tending to the armor to reach into his bag. He pulled the medicine flask from inside and gently tossed it in Briar's direction. It landed beside her, with an audible slosh of the liquid inside. No need to explain that the flask magically turned water into medicine, so he would never run out. There was no magic in Dirk, so Rit had given him many magic items to narrow the field.
       "Polly," Dirk turned to the sleight girl, "we're going to take you to a beautiful spot where you can be cleansed of any last traces of those men. Does that sound like an acceptable plan to you?"
        The girl sat staring at Dirk, looking a little scared, saying nothing. After a long moment, her head made the smallest incline, and she let out a barely audible squeak. Perhaps she hadn't spoken when she wanted more food. Perhaps it had just been a sound she'd made. It was less progress than he thought it was, but at least it was something.
        Dirk took a moment to put his glass circlet on. Then he put his bracers back on as well, speeding the movement of his hands. They were inhumanly fast now, working at his boots, his armor, his many blades. Briar's gear he tended more carefully, getting to know it. Every piece was unique, had its own personality. His hands were still unnaturally fast but the circlet made his mind equally quick, and he made no mistakes. Dirk had already patched and mended her things to some degree, and now he cleaned them up more. He planned on making her a pair of finely crafted boots. Now that she had somewhat explained her ability, he'd make her a pair of gloves as well.
        With all of their weapons and other gear properly tended to, Dirk stood. He'd cleaned and stowed his tools, and had put his circlet and bracers back in the haversack. He put a bundle the clothes, and the bloody apron, into a stringed sack, and slung it over one shoulder, putting his haversack and belted kukri over the other.
        "Can you walk, and follow me okay Polly? I have to carry Briar. Her feet are seriously injured." In response, the girl slowly stood.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar watched Dirk work, his hands a freakin' blur--and her observant thief's eyes noticed that it began after he wore the bracers and circlet, and stopped when he removed it. Instantly, her interest was piqued. Enchanted items, then? She didn't have to touch them to glean that much from them, and the wheels in her head began to turn as she added that to the mental catalogue of things she'd steal from him when she escaped.

Hopefully the things she took would help her progress and impede his inevitable pursuit.

Now if only she could steal that collar, too.

She smiled to herself, enjoying that daydream, and covered her hands with her robe before she took up the medicine flask. She unstoppered it and took a pull from it, then tossed it back to Dirk. She hadn't yet figured out that was magical, too, and that Dirk wasn't just making more medicine--or keeping multiples in that bag of his.

"Thanks for keeping my shit, by the way. And here I thought you'd tossed it!" she said as she lifted her arms, ready for him to carry her. "I mean, you did kinda turn my shit into some kinda holey cheese. You turned me into a holey cheese. Hey, that's right, you said you'd give me whatever I wanted, right? When I can walk again, I want new clothes. Nice ones. Those ones were nice before they had to be all patched up."

Aeytrious

The short jaunt to the bathing area was uneventful. The singing of birds overhead gave a bright feel to the woods. A rabbit crossed the path ahead of the small group, and a turkey could be heard nearby. All in all, it was peaceful and pleasant. Dirk carried Briar as he had before, gently cradled in his arms, as Polly slowly shuffled along beside them. She brought down the pace, a slight nervousness about her.
        When they arrived at the basin, Dirk set Briar where he had before, and went about preparing the area. He was a bit faster this time, having more familiarity with the area. Though he only had two towels so Dirk decided he would go without or use one wet. There was little ceremony or preamble to his action as he helped Briar undress and get into the water. He remained in his thin garments, that were now completely transparent from the water, as well as putting on the scrubbing gloves so that his skin would be guarded against accidental contact. Once he was sure Briar was comfortable, he turned to Polly.
        "Would you like my help undressing and getting in, or can you manage?" Shaking nervously the girl began to undress.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Oh for the love of..."

Briar let out a loud sigh from where she sat soaking in the water and turned to regard both Dirk and Polly. With a frown, she waved the girl over.

"Why don'tcha come over here, huh? To the ladies section of the bath. No stinky boys allowed over here." She stuck her tongue out at Dirk as she said it. "You can leave your clothes on if you want. I mean, then they'll be wet and it's hard to wash, but whatever, Dick's probably got something extra you can wear, right Dicky?"

Aeytrious

Polly wore no under garments, and she was barefoot as well. At Briar's suggestion that she not undress she stopped undoing the ties on her thin and tattered dress. Enough were already untied though, that as she began to move forward, what remained of the dress fell apart. It fell around her legs, tripping her as she stepped, her all but nude form falling forward with an instant look of shock on her face.
        Dirk leaped from the water, sliding under Polly, catching her against his muscled chest. Terror and embarrassment warred with each other as Polly buried her face against him, and began to sob. Dirk swept the now naked girl up into his arms and carried her into the water. There, the dry blood caked to her thighs began to turn the water pink. It swirled away, down into the bead that pulled all dirt and grime into itself. He sat on the ledge, holding Polly gently, letting her cry.
        "I do indeed have something you can wear," Dirk said, "while you were sleeping, I patched together fabric from several past projects to make a dress. It should fit you pretty well, and I can make you a simple pair of leather shoes. I just need to measure your feet."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

That was difficult to witness, to say the least. Watching the girl break down like that, seeing the blood flaking off her thighs and clouding the water before it was drained away...

Gods, no one deserved to go through what she had. Deep down, Briar was truly glad Dirk had been able to find her. Or maybe it wasn't a "deep down" feeling at all, but a far more genuine, surface level emotion than she was willing to admit.

She squirmed a little where she sat, still not sure what to say, or if she should say anything at all. The girl was scared out of her mind, and no wonder after what she'd been through--and now she was naked in the arms of a man. Her rescuer, sure, but Briar didn't think that distinction mattered much when it came to trauma. She'd seen the shame mixing with the terror in her eyes, and anger swelled within her right alongside the pity, though it had no target because those men were dead.

With a sigh, she gingerly worked at her braids, careful not to flex her hands too much, and set the golden hoops aside on the edge of the basin. Her bandana came off next, and she dunked her head under the water to soak her hair before she shot Polly and Dirk a curious look.

"Uhh...say, ah, Polly? Yeah. If you're feeling up to it in a bit, I could probably like...fix your hair or something." Her hair didn't look like it had been tended to in ages, a tangled, matted mess. "I dunno. Just a thought, if you're up to it. And if Dicky there gives me some gloves or something. Look, kiddo, you're safe here now, alright? Anyone tries anything funny, they'll get a fucking knife in their ribs."

Aeytrious

As rough as Briar was with her words, it was enough to help Polly feel a bit better. Her sobbing eased, and she was soon trying to climb out of Dirk's arms.
        "Easy now," Dirk warned, "don't slip and crack your head on the rocks."
        He gently set Polly down beside him, and immediately started to take off the gloves to give to Briar. Dirk set them beside her, and went to his bag to fetch implements for tending hair. He didn't use them often himself, only when he trimmed his own hair every month or so.
        The shears, brush, and comb, were all recent acquisitions. The plastic ones he'd had before were damaged by the cold when he had gone far to the north. These ones, crafted from bone, antler, and porcupine quills, as well as silver for the shears, were much more durable, and weather resistant. Polly's hair was so matted and snarled, it would take a decent effort to untangle. So much of it was damaged and broken, it would be many different lengths. It would have to be cut to look at all normal. Luckily, hair would grow back.
        With the hair tools handed over, Dirk climbed from the water to fetch the bundle of laundry he'd brought. He pulled a washboard from the haversack, and went to work scrubbing his clothes and bloody apron, Briar's clothing, and now the tattered mess that was Polly's old dress. It didn't take long to do once he decided to use his bracers again, and soon he was peeling off his translucent garb to scrub as well. Once it all had been washed, Dirk stood nude in the warm sun, hanging the wet laundry on his heating rack. The glistening wet muscles in his back caught the sun as he shook and straightened the clothes so that they would dry quickly and evenly. He turned back to the basin when he was done, catching Briar staring at him. She seemed to do that a lot when she thought he wasn't looking, and Dirk wondered what sort of plot she was scheming.
        For now, Briar was being kind and helpful. Tending to Polly was probably a bit nerve wracking with the prospect of experiencing the girls trauma. For the first time he admired Briar, and so he took a moment, standing naked in the sun, to really admire her. She was a beautiful, if rough, creature. He also took that time to actually look over Polly. He hadn't had time to inspect her during the rescue, and had decided to give her space for now.
        Rinsed of the majority of the grime that had covered her before, Polly was quite pretty. Pale olive skin, Raven black hair, and bright grey eyes. Most of the swelling in her lips was gone, and he could see that they were full and plump. Her nose was sharp but small, her cheek bones pronounced in a way that brought attention to her eyes. Her eyebrows were thick, but grew neat and mostly even, and as the bruises around her eyes healed, they would do more to enhance her beautiful eyes. She was definitely no older than fifteen, maybe sixteen, as she did have a somewhat womanly figure, though her frame was sleight and she showed signs of malnutrition. She was just a touch taller than Briar, and though her bust was somewhat small, her breasts were noticeably larger than Briar's as well. The girl shivered. With both the sun and water warm, and barely a breeze to be felt through the trees, it was likely the trauma she'd endured. Her face was mostly downcast, but she did flit furtive glances at their surrounds, searching for an imagined threat.
        Dirk stepped down into the water again, sitting just out of reach of the girl. She stared at him, with a mixture of fear and awe, that made him feel sad, and a bit uncomfortable. Her mouth twitched, and then formed into a demure smile for just a moment before she covered her face with her hands and trembled more fiercely. Dirk didn't know what that was about, but with the awkward moment passed, he decided to wash, while Briar warred with tangles of hair.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

The gloves buzzed against Briar's skin when she touched them, but even mundane objects gave a little feedback. No strong emotions or memories had bled into the objects, so she would have had to dig deep and focus hard to draw them out. It was a faint buzz she was used to, and easy to block out as she slipped the gloves on and flexed her fingers carefully.

This was risky. Her hands were healing, but they weren't healed, so she would have to be careful as she worked. More risky still was Polly herself, who was as naked as she was. That was the part she was most nervous about. One careless move on either of their parts, and she would be in for one hell of a bad time. That she knew from experience, only from the opposite side; it had taken weeks before the memories faded enough for her to sleep again when, back when she was fourteen and pretending to be a boy, a man punched her face after she'd cheated him at cards. (Though was it really cheating when she could feel what was on them?)

The split lip was far less shocking than learning, in vivid imagery, what he did to his wife's little boy at night.

Deep breaths. As Polly sat beside her, Briar scooted a safe distance away. "Alright. Just sit where you are, and just sorta turn a little...I'm gonna touch your shoulders here real quick." She reached out and took the girl by the shoulders, gently coaxing her to turn her back more toward her, so they were both sitting sideways on the little shelf. "There ya go. Stay like that. And listen, this is nothing personal or anything, but whatever you do, don't touch me. Okay? Okay!"

She frowned at the mass of snarled and matted hair, planning out her best angle of attack, and took up the comb. "Alright, I'm gonna touch your head. Just gonna start doing what I can here." And she began to pick at the parts that were salvageable, working tips to roots. "Holler if it hurts. Fair warning, I'm probably gonna have to cut like...a fuckton of this off. Short hair's neat, though. Not that I'm biased or anything. I got some experience cutting short hair so I promise not to make you look like a twelve-year-old boy."

It was slow work, and Briar paused every so often to give her aching hands a break and Polly's neck a rest. She ran her hands through the warm water, cupping it and pouring it onto Polly's shoulders as she waited, a vain effort at relieving her shivering. And while she did, she glanced at Dirk now and then, noting with a flush that he was naked--and clamping down on yesterday's memories, since now was definitely not the time! And when she glanced up at him once when she thought she was being sneaky, and saw him looking back at her, she quickly snapped back to her work with a rising blush, suddenly aware of how bare she was, too. Dammit. Stupid, stupid. All of this was stupid.

Resisting the silly urge to cover herself, she instead squared her shoulders and returned to her tedious work. Tedious, and mostly unrewarding, as Briar saw that to make Polly's hair even and not stupid, she'd have to crop it into a pixie cut. With a click of her tongue, Briar coaxed Polly to tip her head down toward her chest, and then used the shears to start clipping away matted chunks of her hair.

"It's gonna be damned short, kiddo," she said as the hair fell away into the water, floating along the surface before the bead dragged it down. "But it'll still look cute. Promise. And it'll grow back." She glanced up in time to see Dirk sit down into the water with them, and wasn't aware of he and Polly's little moment there, with the girl's back to her. She did, however, frown when she saw the girl's tension, and saw her trembling intensify.

With a scowl, she lowered the shears. "Dirk, you're scaring the kid, and I can't clip around her ears when she's vibrating like this. Back off a little, huh?"

Aeytrious

Back off is just what Dirk did, turning away from Briar and Polly as hair was snipped away. Briar had the soft yet coarse gloves, but Dirk still had the stiff brush he used for deep scrubbing. He used it now, removing any sweat and grime as well as exfoliating thoroughly. It left his pale skin a bright pink, tracks of the brushes bristles clear on his skin. Body completely clean, he dipped his head into the sudsy water lathering it fiercely, digging down to his scalp with his nails. The mortals of this era were not as thorough in their bathing, nor did they bathe as frequently as Dirk, who tried to clean himself every day.
        Finished with his scrubbing, Dirk turned back to see the progress Briar had made. The pixie cut was coming along nicely, leaving the bruises on Polly's neck and throat much more visible. The medicine would get rid of those over the course of that day, thankfully. They were finger shaped, and hard to look at.
        Sitting in his side of the basin's ledge, Dirk enjoyed the heat of the water, soaking to his bones.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

With Dirk doing his own thing, Briar made more progress. She cut away all the ruined chunks of hair, then worked on getting it all even. And then, once that was done, she made an attempt at shaping it into something that wouldn't be ugly and awkward. She cut her own hair, and had been cutting it herself since she left home and hacked it all off, so it came rather easily to her as she snipped here and there. Finally, she passed her hand through Polly's hair, scattering hair trimmings everywhere, and gave it a little ruffle to fluff it. It was short, but still feminine, and she thought it suited Polly well.

Though it exposed all that awful bruising. Gods.

"There," she said. "Probably feels a shitton lighter, too. I don't got a mirror, but trust me, it looks good. And, as a bonus, you could still probably slick it back and pass for a pretty guy if you needed to. Go ahead and rinse off. You're all hairy now."

Looking over to where Dirk sat soaking, she snapped her fingers to get his attention. "Looks good, right?"

Aeytrious

Dirk had no preference on the length of a woman's hair. When Briar asked if Polly's hair looked good his automatic reaction was to say that he lacked sufficient knowledge to make a judgment. Luckily for him, he'd spent enough time amongst mortals to pick up social queues. Briar's tone, and the near glare she gave him, told him what he thought didn't actually matter. He was just supposed to affirm the question, but that could be a problem. Dirk was unaccustomed with social deception. Unable to think of the correct thing to say, he merely said, "Yes, it looks good." There was no elaboration.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

That was definitely the wrong answer.

Briar's almost-glare turned into a full-on glare, her shoulders hitching up despite the ache in  them from where he'd wounded her.

"'Good'? Just good? I fucking slave over her hair with my fucked up hands, mere INCHES from one hell of a bad day, to make her look like a goddamned fairy princess outta some fantasy...and all you can say is it looks GOOD? What the fuck, man! At least TRY to show some goddamned enthusiasm! Won't fucking kill ya! She looks fucking gorgeous, you ass!"

Aeytrious

Dirk was not totally surprised at Briar's reaction to his noncommittal response. She was rather volatile after all. He did find it odd though, that Briar wanted him to comment on Polly's attractiveness. He wasn't sure it was quite appropriate, given the girls circumstance. He did his best effort to amend his previous statement.
        "She is gorgeous, yes, and the haircut suits the shape of her face and neck." While his tone likely still lacked the enthusiasm Briar desired, he sounded like an art critic, it at least did not sound forced or faked. He was aware of the girls beauty, that fit most common standards. Polly didn't seem offended. If anything, perhaps a bit demure. She appeared to be trying to see her reflection in the water.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey