Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This hurts me more than it hurts you. [M] [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 22, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

...Good point. Because he was touching her now, wasn't he?

Briar hunched her shoulders, staring at her hands even harder. This was...so goddamned awkward. Awkward, yet hopeful, her mind a mandala of emotion, a dozen different thoughts and feelings all woven together into one colorful pattern. Here was a guy--a guy that had whipped her ass and busted up her hands, feet, and shoulders in the process, a guy that was the paladin to her criminal--and he was offering to help her. Help her with something no one had been able to help her with. But then again, no one had tried, or even wanted to, and she had deemed it hopeless and hadn't asked. Didn't even know who to ask.

It was something she had just resigned herself to living with, and she was used to it. It had always been her normal and she knew no other life. But she was also pretty sure someone born without a leg might wish to know what it was like to run, the same way she sometimes found herself secretly wishing for just...touch. To know what it was like to hug someone without fear. To feel a coin's smooth weight in her palm and only that, not all the emotional baggage that might be clinging to it, even if it was just a quiet hum. To just be touched, to feel someone else's skin warm against hers...

Her eyes had wandered, and she startled when she found that she was staring at Dirk's lips, their perfect shape, their smoothness. She jerked her eyes back down. No. Nope, nope, nope. She'd only kissed once, and that had ended in a mess of images exploding in her brain, searing through her skull, and a knot on her head from cracking it against the wall as she fell, before he could catch her.

And then there was the pool with Dirk...

She rubbed at the side of her head, chasing the memory away. "Rit...? You've probably mentioned that guy before but..." She shrugged. If he had, she had already forgotten. "Your teacher? He teach you about this? 'Cause like I don't know if this can be fixed."

She flashed a look up at him and cocked a crooked grin. "That eager to get in my pants?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

The first time Dirk had heard the phrase 'get in her pants' Dirk had been confused since the woman that was the target of the phrase was in a dress. Eventually, from hearing it used multiple times, and the context of use, he figured it was one of a countless number of ways to say sex. Why were there so many ways to say sex? People everywhere and everywhen all seemed to be obsessed with it.
        "I'm not sure I would know what to do," Dirk said honestly. "Perhaps if we were to explore that sort of relationship, if you wanted to and we're able, we could start with kissing. As for your condition, I don't think it needs to be fixed, you just need to learn to master it, and take control."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Holy shit he was serious.

Of course he was serious. When was he not serious.

Briar sank her face into her hand, ignoring the twinge that traveled clear to her fingertips. "Let's just, uh, start with my condition," she said slowly, strongly ignoring the flood of images that accompanied his words, resisting the urge to glance back up at his face and those lips. Shit. What the fuck was wrong with her?

"How the hell do you control something like this?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"Well I can tell you it won't be easy."
        Dirk arrived back at the camp with Briar in his arms, ready to finally make breakfast. Alba was awake and sitting next to the fire with her blanket wrapped around her, watching the water boil. Dirk crossed the camp in a few quick strides and set Briar in her little mound of blankets. He gave her a rare smile before he stepped away to fetch his bag. He reached in and pulled out a little card. It had come from Libra Station, and he was sure it had no real imprint on it for Briar to get a sense for.
        "Take this," Dirk said, handing the plastic to Briar. "While I cook, I want you to hold it and concentrate on drawing out whatever you can from it. I don't know how you do what you do, but this should be so faint, you'll have to dig deep to draw it out." With that Dirk turned toward their future, and that future was food.
        Dirk's cooking equipment was still standing around the fire pit from previous meals, and so he went to quick work. The eggs went into the boiling water, and as they did he pulled a sand timer from his bag and set it nearby, grains sprinkling down from the top. He quickly stripped out of his gear, and donned his apron, as well as the trinkets that would enhance his perception and speed his hands. He first cleaned and prepared the hare, setting its skin aside for later.
        Out of Dirk's bag came jars of herbs and oils and he used them in different combinations to rub different cuts of meat. They went into a griddle or onto a grill, and some he skewered and hung over the fire. Potatoes were cleaned and cut in a blur, sunchokes followed suit, and pole beans were simply cleaned. The sweet potatoes were grated, and after mixing them with various other ingredients, pressed into cakes.
        Everything went into different pots and pans, and they were all moved around frequently. The eggs were taken off the heat when a chime emanated from the sand timer, proof that it was magical. The assortment of vessels would have been too much for any one normal person without magical enhancement. As everything was beginning to come together in their final stages, Dirk pulled the eggs from their shells and cut them in thin slices. The food he began to serve, putting in on plates in an orderly fashion. Sweet potato pancakes, fried potatoes with sunchokes and other vegetables, rabbit meatballs, rabbit skewers, other slices of cooked rabbit, slices of hard boiled eggs, and a bowl of mixed berries for each of the women.
        Dirk served Alba first, and she meekly accepted the tray with her plate and bowl. Then he took a tray to Briar. He could serve her food, and check her progress all at once.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar took the card in her gloved hands reflexively--then promptly jolted and dropped it to the ground like it had burned her, remembering what happened last time she'd just accepted some strange thing of his without thinking! Last time it had been the ribbon, and that had ended...badly. Who knew what this weird little thing did!

She eyed it like a viper, waiting for it to do something, but then Dirk spoke and she lifted her eyes.

...Oh.

Had the training begun, then?

"Ooookay," she muttered, not the slightest bit excited about what was sure to be tedious and frustrating, before she pulled off a glove and picked up the card with her bare hand. It was strange, made of a smooth, hard material that was oddly flexible, like nothing she had ever felt before. And as she turned it over in her fingers, she saw strange symbols on it that she found were slightly raised when she ran a thumb over them. In the bottom right corner was a shiny symbol that, when she tilted it, looked almost three-dimensional in the light. The picture moved based on how she turned it. Was it enchanted?

No. It wasn't. Because she could feel nothing on it. No strong vibes, no buzzing energy, no flashes of vision. Dirk was true to his word; this item was wholly unimportant, or at least not handled often enough to imprint. Briar let out a sigh and slouched her shoulders, took off her other glove, and held the item two-handed as though that would give her twice the chances of feeling something.

And then she just stared. And stared. And stared. She also didn't really know how she did what she did. As far as she was concerned, it was not a thing she did, but a thing that happened.

And so she stared. And stared some more. And tried to feel something.

Time passed. The sizzle of frying foods, thunk of chopped vegetables, snap of cracking eggshells, and scrape of utensils on pots and pans were the music she worked to. She grit her teeth, twitching at each sound, beads of sweat gathering on her brow as she concentrated hard. She didn't know how long she stared at that goddamned card, but she could feel her irritation steadily growing, exacerbated by the sound of clanking pans--

And then Dirk appeared near her, and Briar let out a growl of exasperation and threw her hands--and the card--up into the air, where it tumbled back into her lap. "It's not WORKING!"

Aeytrious

Dirk set the tray of food beside Briar. He knew she would get frustrated. Most people Dirk saw practice any sort of training tended to have moments of frustration. Her personality was one of action, and so he expected her to get frustrated quickly and frequently. He hadn't had an opportunity for frustration himself. First there was the shock of being pulled from his reality, then there was the food. He was given all sorts of wonderful food, a place to bathe and sleep. His entire world was taken from squalor and a struggle to survive, to all the food he could want and every other need met. So when the training began, he was quick to comply and work hard, for fear he'd be put back in that life.
        "I'm confident you'll get it," Dirk said. He had tucked his silk gloves into the waist of his pants before taking Alba her food. He now slid them on. "I know it will take time, but you're too stubborn to give up when it would mean you would control it, instead of it controlling you." Dirk reached out with his now gloved hand tucking a loose bit of hair behind Briar's ear, brushing his fingers lightly on her cheek in the process.
        "After you eat, perhaps I can help you put the braids back in your hair?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar huffed loudly. It was true; if anything, this exercise didn't discourage her. It just made her pissed. Pissed that something was out of reach, within touching distance, that she just couldn't feel. It was like it was taunting her, and that was not something she could stand for. If anything, she would do it just to prove she could; it was an issue of pride at this point!

Pride, and hope. Hope that maybe Dirk actually could help her? It was the first shining sliver of hope she'd seen.

Still didn't mean she wasn't pissed off and frustrated and going to whine with her every breath.

She started to grumble out a reply, a dismissive "yeah, yeah" or a "whatever", but suddenly Dirk was there, his fingers brushing along her hair and cheek, feathering against her ear, and she jerked to a halt, going stock still. A chill shot down her spine like lightning, spreading out over her neck and shoulders, and goosebumps actually pebbled all along her skin. She squeaked in surprise, unable to articulate--or mentally process!--anything enough to form words, and heat flared in her cheeks. At first, her freezing, her tension, was expectant--expecting a nasty flood of image and sensation--but then...nothing happened.

Nothing but the chills. And those weren't exactly bad.

Surprised, she jerked and touched her ear, where her hair was now tucked, and snapped a look at Dirk. Gloves. He was wearing gloves, different gloves, softer ones.

Oh.

She shivered again and brushed awkwardly at her hair. It...wasn't unpleasant. But it was new. She wasn't used to being touched. Usually went to great lengths to avoid it. Yet Dirk...

He'd found ways to get around that. And she found herself lost. Part of her craved it, soaked it up like a morning flower opening its petals to the sun. It was such a simple thing she'd been denied all her life. And yet...she didn't know what to do with those sensations. They were new and alien and kind of overwhelming and--

Her heart was thumping rabbit-fast. Oh god, and that had just been a platonic touch! Not like...uh...the pool. She took a deep breath, swallowed. "U-uh, yeah. They ain't gonna braid themselves and these hands aren't gonna do it, either. Damn. You're some jack of all trades. Wanna do my nails too while you're at it?"

Aeytrious

"Do your nails? What's that?" Dirk had very little contact with women in social situations, and the process of getting fingernails painted wasn't part of any previous interaction. So he was truly curious about what it was.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Uh...like, make them all pretty and shit?" Briar said, holding her hands out flat and wiggling her fingers so he could see her short, but surprisingly well kept, nails. She wore gloves almost constantly, so her hands were actually in good condition, if unadorned. She never bothered to paint her nails; it wasn't like anyone got to see them.

"Paint 'em, manicure 'em, soak 'em in oil to make them all soft. All that froofy crap, y'know?"

Aeytrious

"Ah, I see," Dirk said to Briar. "I've seen lacquered nails, but I was unaware of the process. I doubt I have anything that I could use to paint them. I do have oils that could be used to soak your fingers to remove the dead skin, cuticles, and any callouses you may have. You could use it on your feet too, and I'd be willing to assist you with that. While we're at it, I could give you a full body massage."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar fixed him with a flat, dead-eyed stare. "It was a joke," she said, and paused.

"...but, I mean, if you're offering..."

Aeytrious

"I put you in your weakened state," Dirk said. "Even if it was to stop your criminal act, I'm responsible. I'll tend to your needs and help you recover. I think this would be good for your health." Briar's hair had fallen from where he tucked it, so Dirk reached out and placed it behind her ear again. "After you eat, I'll help you with your hair, and then we can do your nails and I'll give you a deep tissue massage."
        Dirk left Briar to eat, and went to check on Alba. The girl watched him as he approached and paused in her eating. Dirk could see she was practically breathing her food in. He had plenty more if she wanted more. He didn't need to eat after all.
        "There's no need to eat so fast, and there is plenty more where that came from." The bruises were fading quickly. Without any cuts or broken bones, she was healing much faster than Briar. "Is there anything else you want?" Dirk asked the girl.
        Alba looked passed Dirk to where Briar was now eating her food. Then she looked back to Dirk and said, "Drink." Dirk was glad that she had spoken again, it showed great endurance to be able to interact with a strange man after what the girl had gone through. He went to his bag, pulled out one of his magic flasks, and poured a blue juice into a cup for Alba. When he handed it to her, she looked at it curiously, sniffed it, gave it a little sip, and then after deciding it was the most delicious thing she'd ever tasted, downed it in quick gulps. She outstretched her hands, holding her cup out to Dirk. He refilled it, and she emptied it two more times after that.
        "Well I'm glad you like it," Dirk said. "It tastes very similar to peach mixed with pineapple. It's from a fruit called the lukka berry. I have some seeds of the plant that my mentor gave me, but I was told not to plant it until my son turned five." Dirk realized that Alba was looking at him like he was even stranger than ever, and so he decided she'd heard enough.
        "Enjoy the rest of your meal, and let me know if you need anything else."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Another shiver shot through Briar at the contact and made her gasp, more delicious tingles traveling down her spine and making her shift where she sat, suddenly squirmy. She rolled her shoulders stiffly, wincing at their ache, and cleared her throat.

He was really interested in that massage, wasn't he?

And Briar, despite the awkward shenanigans in the pool, couldn't find it in her to say no. Her aching muscles screamed "yes!" But what shouted even louder was her own shameless curiosity. She'd never gotten a massage before. And shit, man, a looker of a guy was enthusiastically offering. Why the fuck not?

She knew she was poking at a line in the sand there, one that could lead dangerous places if crossed.

For now, she was fine to poke at it.

Dirk left to check on Alba, and Briar returned to her meal, eating it quicker than necessary. She was hungry, but she was also more interested in the upcoming pampering. Was this what life was like for regular people? Did they get this excited about a goddamned massage or caress against their ear? It was...weird. But she thought she liked it?

Finishing up a final bite of food, she glanced over at Dirk. "Hey! Got any more of that blue shit?"

Aeytrious

Lukka berry juice was Dirk's favorite. It had a creamy, almost milk like texture, with a flavor reminiscent of peaches and pineapple, but was the color of blueberries. Rit had given Dirk a magic flask that dispensed the juice at no limit. It was not a terrible indulgence. It was a bit high in sugar, as fruit goes, but it was also high in many important vitamins. Dirk grabbed another cup on his way back to Briar, and poured as he walked. The liquid sloshed as he handed it to Briar, a few drops splashing on her bandaged hand.
        "I hope you like it. It's my favorite."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar frowned down at the fresh stain on her bandaged hand--a waste of a good drink!--and gave an exaggerated huff that she didn't really feel. After all, Dirk cleaned and changed her bandages frequently, so it wasn't that big a deal, even if it was awkward. Hands, as it turned out, were surprisingly sensitive when someone else was touching them.

She sniffed the liquid curiously, then took a small sip--and her eyes widened at the flavor explosion on her tongue. Peaches she'd tasted, but pineapple? Never. And the combination of the two blended into something sweet and new and intoxicating.

She drained the cup fast--too quick, because she regretted not savoring it once it was gone--and then flashed Dirk an astonished look. "What the fuck kinda fruit is that?"

Aeytrious

"Lukka berry," Dirk repeated. "The fruit has a thick yellow skin, almost like a smooth lemon. The meat is a vibrant blue, with an almost plum texture." He poured more into Briar's cup. The naturally sweet and acidic juice was not too be over indulged in, but two mugs was far from excessive.
        "I have enough to last the rest of my life," and far after of course. The flask was one of many that was filled with something that would never run out. Rit had wanted Dirk to not only survive, but thrive. When you trained someone to carry out the work Rit intended for Dirk, you wanted to ensure your effort didn't go to waste.
        Dirk returned to his place by the fire, cleaning, organizing, and generally keeping himself busy with small tasks as Alba and Briar ate. There were always more things to be done. From tending his gear, to prepping parts of later meals, or even just brushing newly fallen leaves away from the fire. Campsite safety was serious business according to Rit's training. There was no need to hover near Briar. There were always more things to be done.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Enough to last the rest of his life? Some kind of magical shenanigans, she figured. With a shrug, Briar finished off her second helping of juice (and was a little sorry for it, because she probably should have savored it) and then sat back to relax a little, until she grew bored of watching Dirk tend to chores. It was nice for a time; gave her time to rest and digest and be in her own head, to think about her situation and how the fuck she was going to get out of it--and not to mention Dirk was nice to watch.

But the novelty soon wore off. She didn't do long stretches of quiet, and Alba wasn't much of a conversationalist.

"Sooooo, I'm done," she announced at last, stretching her arms over her head and letting out a yawn. "You gonna do my hair and shit or what?"

Aeytrious

Dirk stopped the task he was working at when Briar called out to him. His way of responding was to prepare for the task. Then remembering that verbal communication was important for beings that couldn't read his mind, Dirk spoke up.
        "I'll get everything ready, and then come get you." He had already pulled an aluminum folding chair from his haversack, and placed it in front of a ceramic basin. The chair had come from a visit to Libra Station. Dirk had very little use for it, but he was not one to throw out something that might be useful. The cushions on the seat and back used some future technology that made them amazingly comfortable, and the aluminum was coated in a treatment that kept it shiny, and extremely durable. Next, Dirk put water in a pot on the fire, and then pulled a folding table from his bag next. It matched the chair perfectly. He set it in front of the chair, over the basin. Then he pulled out a bowl and put it on the table. With all the things set in place, Dirk went to pick up Briar.
        "Are you ready?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Briar watched him work, eyebrows rising as he pulled out various strange items from his bottomless haversack. The folding chair drew the longest stare--was that a silver chair? And how did it unfold like that? A chair made of silver that could bend? Dirk must be goddamned rich, too, if he could afford a literal silver chair.

And then there was a table that...also folded? And was also silver?!

How?

She snapped out of it when he spoke and approached her, and gave him a wary look. "Uhh...sure. But what's with all the fanciness? Whatcha need boiling water for?"

Aeytrious

"I won't let the water actually reach a boil," Dirk said as he gently picked up Briar. He once again cradled her, like a man carrying his new bride across the threshold. He took her to the chair, and gently set her on it. She'd have to turn to bring her legs under it. "Please put your feet in the basin and your hands in the bowl." He reached for the pot with a cloth around his hand, and set it on the ground beside him. With Briar facing him Dirk reached for her hands, with his covered in the silken gloves, and began to gently unwrap her bandages.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: