Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Serendipity/Western Highlands/Elsewhere Group Quest

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 30, 2014, 09:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

A questing we will go! And all that jazz.

Looking for a warrior type character to join in (one or two I think) for a quest thread I am going to do with @Ahnnie here. Characters involved so far are: my character Olwen, a blood mage, and Ahnnie's characters Sacora and Temujin.

Starting Location: Jadenshine, Serendipity but will move onward from there

Quest Items:
-Pendant of Power
-Runestone of Energy

The Plot:
Olwen's magic school has tasked Olwen with acquiring some important items and artifacts, some of which can be found at Sacora's shop in the province of Jadenshine. The quest items however, are said to be located elsewhere throughout the lands.

The Pendant of Power, a magical artifact that can boost a mage's mana reserve by three times the norm while they are wearing it is said to be located somewhere in the Western Highlands in the Terrin mountains. The exact spot is unknown. Such a powerful item being the only one of its kind is most likely to be guarded. By what exactly or how many of these whats is also unknown at this point. Perhaps the group can find out more at the local taverns and inns they stop at.

The Runestone of Energy is another special item although not as unique as the Pendant of Power. There are purported to be about 5-6 of these runestones scattered throughout the world somewhere and some are most likely guarded as well. They would be difficult to find and even more difficult to get a hold of. Only one of these is needed to help activate another item the school already has in their possession, called the Pedestal of Recharging. This device, along with one of the runestones, can recharge magic items that have rechargeable properties. A highly sought after thing for a mage academy, mind you. The two work in tandem with one another and can not be used by themselves as it wouldn't work.

So Olwen sets out to go to the shop to purchase supplies, groups up with Sacora afterwards and off they go, looking for a merc or two to accompany them. Olwen can pay for their services, she has money to do so, helpfully provided by the school themselves as they certainly don't expect her to go about this alone. The mercenary/s should be in or near Serendipity to make things easier. Any part thereof, but probably more in/near the provinces of Jadenshine, Kia's Court, Moonspear, Ravensway, Fallial, Tirial, and Altas Verde.

Will the group of adventurers be successful in their mission? What will they find? What sort of creatures lay in wait for them at their destinations? Will they all come back alive? Join in to find out...

Ikusaba

Hey, this seems like a pretty interesting quest for my character! Lunna, the Bounty Hunter, would love some adventure for valuable itens. If it's okay, I'm down with it. ;D

(By the way, if I was supposed to introduce my character in canon here, my bad)

Ethereal-Star

Sure, you can join! There may very well be some gold and other items for Lunna to come into possession of while on this quest. Although the main quest items are obviously not for her to have.  ;)

And no worries about being OOC. I wasn't exactly in character either as this is an advertisement thread, not the actual story thread itself. So you're good.  :)

Gonna post more info I have on the quest items themselves in just a tad. I'm thinking one more warrior type would be good. Temujin, Ahnnie's character may or may not join, dunno. I am wondering if I should bring in a mage-knight from Olwen's academy in too as that would make more sense for at least two from the school to set out on this mission. To me that seems more likely. If I do join in this mage-knight NPC, one more opening for another person's character is still open for grabs. That would make 6 total if that's okay with you two.

Ethereal-Star

Some more information about the quest items. Keep in mind the characters will NOT know this until they meet up with a certain NPC of mine used for the purposes of this story only. This NPC is a scholar of both magical and mundane artifacts worldwide and would know something about these objects the characters are looking for. I am posting this here for easy reference and also because the scholar himself may not necessarily know every detail but can be revealed as the story goes on. They would meet with him in a tavern somewhere in the Western Highlands conveniently, where he would tell them some of his findings pertaining to their mission.

Here is the information:

Locations of the Runestones of Energy

Western Highlands:
One of the runestones of energy is located here, in a hard to get by mountain pass in the Terrin Mountains. Somewhere at the bottom of a chasm filled with relatively deep water, buried somewhere amidst the waterbed lies one of these runestones. It is almost impossible to get to, considering the difficulty of crossing the pass, getting into the chasm safely and diving into the cold murky waters to go dig around in the mud at the bottom. These waters also harbor some vicious biting fish and fresh water eels. Unless one has appropriate gear or magic in order to overcome all these obstacles, it is NOT recommended to go searching here for it. Best to look elsewhere.

Fell:
Amongst the ruins of this nation lie many objects of power, wealth and artifacts alike. One of the runestones of energy is also said to lie here undisturbed, buried amid the rubble and debris. However it is strongly cautioned for magic-users of any ilk not to go there for the chaos magic that permeates the place is strong and it will likely affect any mages who travel here with its afflicted energy. What effect this energy has had on the runestone in question is debatable. Some scholars say it is affected and cannot be undone, while others say once taken out of the area it will resume its normal state. While even others wonder and speculate it is immune to such chaos. Who is right, we don't know. (It may be best for Olwen and Sacora to not travel here b/c of the above chaos energy that is evident. Even though it is most likely not guarded, it is still a dangerous place to venture for these two characters.)

Kilanthro Mountains:
One of the runestones is rumored to be in the possession of an ancient crystal dragon named Zy'raxas (one of my characters by the way) who lives in a cave in the Kilanthro Mountains near the Sionad Tundra and Hyoite. However, unless one has a sufficient magical item to trade with the dragon herself, it is best not to bother with this area. Zy'raxas is known for her love of riddles, puzzles and word games and also loves to test these out on any visitors to her home cave. If one does not want to bother with puzzles and riddles, and does not have anything in return the dragon would want, look somewhere else for another runestone. Fighting her would be utterly foolish.

Seraj Isa:
Seraj Isa or commonly known as The Glass Desert, is a sacred place to the Essyrni peoples that is located someways away from the country of Essyrn itself. However in this area, dwell some nomadic tribal peoples who are known to guard whatever treasures and wealth are to be found here along with some strange and as yet unknown beasts that roam the glass-frozen dunes. Some suspect there to be a myriad of lesser drakes and dust elementals that take up residence here, as well as various large bears and wolves. Other creatures most definitely exist here as well, but nothing else is known about them. The tribes of the Glass Desert are said to be unreasonable and vicious and do not take kindly to intruders upon their land unless they have a good reason to be there. If one does not provide a sufficient reason to be present, expect a lot of tough fights and skirmishes as a result. A runestone of energy is said to be buried within a crevice in one of the many glass dunes here. Caution is strongly advised if adventurers pursue this route.

Temple of Ash:
Located in the Kishahn Jungle is an old temple, the remains of which harbor fallen statues of long ago worshipped figures lost to time. Who knows what one might find within the rubble or underneath it in the catacombs of the site? However, the Blood of Ash cult makes their home here and they are definitely not to be trifled with. The only other thing of note is that the runestone of energy located here is said to be guarded by three powerful shadow wraiths, and a bunch of lesser shadows that are purported to appear when something is taken from the ruins. A fight with these undead is not to be underestimated. Along with the threat of the nearby cult, any travelers to these parts must be on their guard and extremely wary of any and all dangers present. If not, prepare to meet your doom. Creatures and beasts of the surrounding jungle itself must also be taken into account.

The Last of the Runestones:
The whereabouts of the final runestone are to this day, unknown. No one has been able to acquire any information about it, or if they do have some news of it, they keep such to themselves. But there is one more runestone out there, somewhere in the far reaches of the world, and it would be most accurate to assume it is also either guarded or hard to get to or both even. The drunken mutterings of a supposed madman has uttered the possible whereabouts of it before he succumbed to a nasty illness and shortly died thereafter. The ramblings that were heard before he died were "At the edges of the known world, amid a place of torment and death!" Not much to go on, unfortunately.

Location of the Pendant of Power

Western Highlands:
Somewhere in the Terrin Mountains is an object of great power for mages and magic-users alike. It is called the 'Pendant of Power.' Able to increase a wizard's mana reserve by three-fold it is a highly sought after item by many of the magical variety. But oh so very hard to acquire. For it is guarded by a gigantic and most fearsome rock beast of huge proportions, rumored to wield the strength of the mountains itself with its bare hands. A direct confrontation with it is not advised at all. Stealth/invisibility may be required if one wishes to find this artifact. There is also said to be huge piles of gold and silver here. Best of luck to ye bold adventurers who traverse this region and brave its perils.

Ikusaba

Quote from: Ethereal-Star on December 01, 2014, 07:44:55 PM
Sure, you can join! There may very well be some gold and other items for Lunna to come into possession of while on this quest. Although the main quest items are obviously not for her to have.  ;)

Alright, that sounds fun! As soon as the thread starts, I'll be joining in.
Also, I'm totally okay with more people joining as well. Go ahead. :D

Ethereal-Star

Still looking for one more warrior/mercenary type! They will get paid for their services!

So far definite characters joining in:

-Olwen
-Sacora
-Lunna
-mage-knight NPC (extra backup from Olwen's school)

Possible characters:

-Temujin
-Open spot available for one more

Reply here if you have a character that would be interested! Or PM, whichever.

Alegretto

Hey Star, I'm actually making a mage-knight character right now (legitimately a coincidence I swear) and I was wondering if he could come along. He's gonna be a bit older but still of the adventuring persuasion and very much ready for action.

Ethereal-Star

Sure, come on in the water's fine. Where is he based? So all know where to find him and what point of the adventure he would join in at.

Alegretto

I'm thinking of having him be based out of Kia's Court

Ethereal-Star

Great! I'll give an update below. I think that's it for characters to join in as this makes either 4 or 5 depending on whether Ahnnie wants to add in Temujin to the party.

The Adventuring Party:

1. Olwen (my character)
2. Sacora (Ahnnie's character)
3. Lunna (Ikusaba's character)
4. Haldor (Alegretto's character)
5. Temujin (Ahnnie's character)

Note how I deleted the NPC mage-knight character. Since Alegretto is already submitting one for this I don't see the need for two. Plus I don't really want to put time and effort into an NPC that is supposed to tag along. It would be different if he was an actual character of mine, but he's not. However since I strongly think Olwen needs *some* kind of backup from the school I am going to add to her inventory a summoning stone. This summoning stone is a one-time use magic item, crafted by Olwen herself with her teacher's help, one that summons a celestial archon. What's a celestial archon you ask? My definition is that it is a powerful celestial entity that has both magic (elemental and holy) and wields weapons of celestial origin. But, there is a major but here, this stone as already said can only be used ONCE, and only when absolutely needed. She may not even need to use it, but we'll see. More drama if she does, hehe. After the battle is done or the archon is slain, whichever comes first, the stone will therefore disintegrate in her hands and cease to be. Obviously, Olwen would only use this in extreme circumstances as the magic used to make this item was A LOT. If the celestial archon survives it will go back to its heavenly place among the cosmos and would be unable to be called upon again (at least with the current stone as the object itself is no more.) Of course, even if it was slain, it wouldn't be dead forever only for a time as it reformed back in the heavens. Olwen is able to do this with the summoning magic she has at her disposal (read her profile) but once on this quest she wouldn't have the time or resources to make another. So that's my idea and I'm sticking to it! Ahem.   

Edit: List updated!

Ethereal-Star

Bump! Changes were made to the previous post, please read!

Ethereal-Star

I am going to start working on a thread for this quest soon-hopefully tonight I can have one up. Since it will start off in Jadenshine any others can come along later that are not based in the Jadenshine province. Or if you don't have a preference where your character happens to be...

@Ahnnie , have you decided whether or not to bring Temujin to the party? It's not absolutely vital right now to know, just curious is all.

And @Alegretto let me know when you get your character up and running. Again, no rush just giving a heads up.

Smallish update though, but I would like to get this thread underway soon.

Ethereal-Star

Thanks Alegretto, I read the profile and updated the list as well as linking to each character's profile.

Ethereal-Star

I finally got the thread posted and you can find it here. If there is anything at all that you have a comment on or I didn't do correctly, please don't hesitate to mention it here in this plotting thread! I am especially referring to Ahnnie in this regard. Anyways, enjoy!!

Note that this quest will take part in multiple threads because of the many locations presented. I hope that isn't a problem.

Ahnnie

I have decided, yes I will bring Temujin in. He is going to come at a later point, when they're on the road, because that's the most likely place to run into him. Also I shall post asap!

Ethereal-Star

Fantastic! Will update the list now with Temujin's name. Looking forward to seeing the post.

Ethereal-Star

Thread Locations in the order that they will appear in:

1. Serendipity Riverlands (starting point, quest beginning)
2. Wester Highlands (meet up with scholar here, Pendant of Power location, location of one of the runestones)
3. Kilanthro Mountains (location of one of the runestones, and also the home of Zy'raxas, the crystal dragon)
4. Seraj Isa (location of one of the runestones)
5. Temple of Ash (location of one of the runestones)
6. Hivan Ocean (unknown island where the last runestone is)
7. Serendipity Riverlands (ending of quest)

Notice how I skipped Fell--since the mages cannot travel there without severe consequences I am purposefully leaving that area out for the quest. I just thought it would be a good place to put one of the runestones however, only one is needed for the quest completion. Depending upon how much time (and drama!) people want this quest to contain some of the locations may not actually need to be visited. I am open to suggestions on how people want this to proceed.

For example, where do you all want the runestone to be acquired at? Which location sounds most promising for this adventure? The most drama and excitement? Do you want them to fail at some of the places and NOT acquire the stone, forcing them to keep at it until they do or do you want it to be more straightforward? Your thoughts, ideas and suggestions are most welcome, so throw them here please.

When all is said and done, a second (ending) thread in the Serendipity Riverlands will commence, marking the completion of the story. So, whaddya'll think?

Ahnnie

Sounds perfect to me! A few failures now and then to keep the suspense going sounds good, although I think we should keep those at a moderate balance so as to not de-morale the group ;D. Maybe this one could be on the unknown island? Then when everyone finds it they can return to the Riverlands and have a big celebration at the finish of the journey. Or maybe the group can find more than one, with the last one being on that unknown island.

Ethereal-Star

Whenever the group finds one of the runestones that will be it for that part of the quest. Of course, it also depends on how much adventure other party members want to have. If going to an unknown dangerous island sounds like at least two of the party members cup of tea, even if both artifacts have been found, they might make a trip there too, who knows?

If anyone else has any more comments, please share them! Thanks.