Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Quest Of A Lifetime [Ahnnie, Alegretto, Ikusaba]

Started by Ethereal-Star, December 12, 2014, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

((This is a group thread involving characters of mine, Ahnnie, Alegretto and Ikusaba. It is a quest story so no more openings are available to join in. Sorry! For more info check out it's plotting thread here. Hope you all enjoy the journey presented herein. Onward!!))

As Olwen stepped out of the mage academy's huge oaken doors, she silently absorbed all that had transpired today. Her school had been planning a major quest for some time now and she was selected to go, along with two others. It had been decided that the three of them could cover more ground if the trio split up into their own groups, each one tasked with finding others, most likely mercenaries to hire and accompany them on their quest. They were strongly advised to do this as going alone would be suicide.

As an added help, the school had provided each with enough currency to accomplish this task, a sum total of 150 gold suns per student, plus a bunch of silver and copper coins as extra. Any money left over would be to pay for additional supplies needed for the trip. Olwen would need to make a return stop here before she set out, to deposit the gems needed for magical experimentation and enchanting. The blood mage also needed to make and procure more healing potions of hers before she set off to ensure there were enough. As of now, she only had five potions of differing strengths on her person so she would undoubtedly need more.

Olwen thought about this quest she had been chosen to go on. The others had already gone off to do their part, two other senior students one a healer and the other wielding both fire and water magics. In truth while she was excited to go, she had to admit to herself she was a tiny bit unsure about how all this would pan out. Would they accomplish their goal? Would they run into anything they couldn't handle? Would they all make it? No doubt the way was fraught with danger and much peril hence only the most experienced were chosen. Teachers were out of the question as they had their own duties here at the school and were unable to take time off for a quest such as this. So it was left to the students. Mind you, it was also to further the students' prowess in their magical studies, just as much as it was a learning experience and to acquire these items the academy needed.

The Pendant of Power was the first artifact requested to be found and undoubtedly the most difficult to get as there was only one in existence, whereas with the runestones there were several. But neither items would be a walk in the park to retrieve. The only thing that was known about their whereabouts was the Pendant of Power was located somewhere in the Western Highlands amid the Terrin Mountains. Where exactly, that hadn't been determined. It was Olwen's hope they would find a scholar of some kind that may know more. The Runestones of Energy were all purported to be scattered about individually, so it was unlikely they would find more than one in the same area. All were cautioned to be ever watchful of their steps so no tragedy befell any of them. Each were not sent out empty-handed after all.

Olwen fished around in her bag and found what she was looking for. Her fingers closed over the object in question to be sure it was still there. Never hurt to double-check. she figured. It was a summoning stone, one which summoned to the owner's side a celestial archon. While Olwen had researched many a creature in her books at the libraries at the school, she had not ever before needed to summon one of these. The research and symbols required for the ritual were long and intense, taking many a night and day to go over it all. Her teacher had helped in this endeavor and when the archon was summoned inside the circle, they then contained that magic into the actual stone where from then the being would be available at the literal drop of a stone. All she had to do was hit the rock against the ground with a simple spoken command word and voila! It was only good for one use however, so Olwen had explicit instructions to only use it in the direst of needs. A lot of work had gone into its crafting as she was well aware of. To waste it on something trivial would be foolish and irresponsible.

As Olwen walked the streets of Jadenshine, some nodded their heads at the blood mage in respect while others more or less paid her no heed. The cobbled ground beneath her was rough to the touch and her booted feet continued along swiftly until she got to where she was going. The small wooden building in front of her with its equally small wooden sign in front welcomed all those who would venture inside. "Jadenshine Magic Shoppe", it read in simple bold letters chiseled into the brown surface. The sign itself stood at a slight slant but nothing too noticeable that stuck out.

As she headed inside the shop, a bell overhead rang, its slight tinkling sound reminiscent of a waterfall trickling over smooth polished stones. It took a second or two for her eyes to adjust to the dimness. She immediately nodded her head at the shopkeeper, a young girl with long black hair like herself and took a look at all the merchandise that was available for purchase. "Greetings," Olwen replied in a friendly manner. She took another look around before asking, "Mayhap you have some herbs for sale?"

Ahnnie

Another day open for business. Several customers had already come and go in a steady stream. A few 'just looking' had also come in, and window shoppers perused the items on display from outside. Sacora didn't mind it, though. She wasn't the money-grabbing sort of business person who tried to push the customer to buy as much as he could, or who despised 'just looking' customers. She ran this business solely to provide for herself as much as she needed to keep up her normal lifestyle. Helping people find magical objects to fit their purposes was also a bonus.

Running her store during the quiet moments between customers also gave her the chance to read a few books. What she chose to read often varied from time to time, impulse to impulse. For example, today she was reading a general history on Serenian mages and magicks. Yesterday she'd been studying from a spellbook and the day before that she was memorizing recipes from a cookbook. Storybooks and novels were also among her favorite things to read, but it seemed as though this month she was into informative readings, readings she could learn from.

The ringing of a bell that signified the entrance of a customer brought her head up from the history book. Sacora gazed at the door with observant, flame-gold eyes and saw a young woman with black hair similar to hers and cold green-and-silver flecked eyes of average height.

"Welcome to my shop," Sacora said. "How may I help you?"

"Greetings," the woman said. "Mayhap you have some herbs for sale?"

Sacora rose from the counter, sliding her book away. "Indeed, I do. What herbs are you looking for, perchance?" She kept the herbs in a room to the back of the shop as a part of some regulation that would make it harder for illegal brewers to take their pick of any dangerous combination without having to tell the shopkeeper first what they wanted, and having the shopkeeper write what they ordered in a receipt. This was just a precaution of course; Sacora didn't think the young woman before her would do such a thing.

((Added the little blurb about the herbs 'cause I thought it would make sense))

Ethereal-Star

"Aloe vera and alvo, to be exact." Olwen replied smoothly. "Two bundles of each will suffice."

She looked around for just a moment at what else was on display. "Also, I was told I'd be able to find some Star Crystals here. If you have any, I'd like to buy a few."

Olwen ticked off on her fingers the list of what items she needed both for herself and the school she attended.

"Also, malachite, onyx, quartz, starkstone and enchanted water too. One of each for the first two, three of the quartz and five of the starkstone. As for the enchanted water, I'd be needing a couple large containers of that."

Ahnnie

Two bundles each of aloe vera and alvo. Sacora brought them up in due time, and then waited for the young woman's next orders.

"Also, I was told I'd be able to find some Star Crystals here. If you have any, I'd like to buy a few."

"Certainly," Sacora said. She brought up a pouch from under the counter and opened the drawstrings. Inside the bag there were probably at least ten to fifteen Star Crystals. "How many were you looking to take? They are about two glints each."

"Also, malachite, onyx, quartz, starkstone, and enchanted water too." She needed one each of malachite and onyx, three quartz, five starkstone, and a couple of large flasks of enchanted water.

Sacora brought these items up to the counter as well. "Both aloe vera and alvo are a penny each. Malachite is a shil each, quartz is five pennies, onyx is seven, starkstone is four pips, and large flasks of enchanted water run five pennies each...you ordered two bundles of aloe vera and alvo each making it four pennies, three quartz which makes it fifteen pennies, twenty pips for five starkstones which equals two pennies, and a shil for both containers of enchanted water...the total is three shils and one penny." That was not yet counting how much of the Star Crystals she'd buy. Her hand had been moving quickly in writing these calculations down on what would be Olwen's receipt.

Sacora smiled in a friendly manner at the black haired woman before her. "A nice day for an errand, isn't it?"

((I reread your pm about the money, and I think you mistakenly wrote 'silver pennies' instead of copper several times?))

Ethereal-Star

Olwen opened her money pouch and counted out three shils and one penny, placing them on the counter in front of the shopkeeper before digging around for eight glints to pay for the star crystals. She put those on the counter as well, and said, "Four of the Star Crystals as well, thank you."

While she waited for the shop girl to take out the crystals requested, Olwen answered her friendly query. "Indeed, a day for epic quests too it seems. I have to return some of these supplies to my magic school before I then have to look for mercenaries to hire for an important mission I am assigned to. Once I find enough people willing to accompany me, we are to set out. One of our stops will be the Western Highlands. Of course, two others from my school are also on their own missions for the exact same reason. We figured it would help cover more ground that way." she finished.

"If you are perchance wondering what this whole quest is about, I shall tell you. My academy has been hearing mention of some powerful artifacts that they would like to study and use for the school's purposes. They are very rare and very difficult to acquire. It will certainly not be an easy task. I have to admit, I do have my doubts but I will do as they ask, for it is the opportunity of a lifetime! The school was very careful to select students who are competent and responsible enough to handle it all. I hope at least one of us three will be able to find at least one of the items and that all return safely." Olwen sighed a bit in both mild trepidation and excitement.

"If anything the quest will provide a change of scenery." Olwen laughed at this.

((I may have gotten confused with the whole silver pennies thing, I guess. I don't know. In any case, I'll have to look back over the currency info to be sure.))

Ahnnie

The young women laid three shils and a penny out on the counter, handing over eight glints as she also ordered four Star Crystals. Sacora took the proper amount from the bag and slid them over in Olwen's direction. As she was retrieving the Star Crystals, the woman before her said, "Indeed, a day for epic quests too it seems. I have to return some of these supplies to my magic school before I then have to look for mercenaries to hire for an important mission I am assigned to. Once I find enough people willing to accompany me, we are to set out. One of our stops will be the Wester Highlands. Of course, two others from my school are also on their own missions for the exact same reason. We figured it would help cover more ground that way."

Ah, a quest? For a magic school, too? This all sounded very intriguing to Sacora. She felt quite honored that a student of a magic school would choose her shop for these supplies...and, she thought, she just might be able to fit the bill as one of the questing companions. Of course, she was no mercenary, but she could definitely help out.

Before she could even ask about the quest, the mage was insightful enough to give her details about it. "My academy has been hearing mention of some powerful artifacts that they would like to study and use for the school's purposes. They are very rare and very difficult to acquire. It will certainly not be an easy task." She continued on how she had her doubts, but she was willing to do what the school asked, since it was an opportunity of a lifetime. She expressed hope that one of the three students assigned to the job would find at least one of the items and return safely, then sighed. "If anything the quest will provide a change of scenery."

Sacora pondered a moment on the mage's words before answering, "That definitely sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime chance. And if it's not too much trouble...well, you've gotten me more than a little curious. I'd like a change of scenery too." She smiled. "I'm not a mercenary, but I'm definitely willing to accompany you."

Ethereal-Star

At the shopkeeper's words, Olwen's face lit up in delight. "Most definitely!" she said, "Any and all help is very welcome!" She looked over the other girl briefly, and replied, "Well you do not look like much of a mercenary to me, but rather another mage like myself. Mind if I ask what kind of skills you possess?"

The blood mage gathered up her purchases after the money had been exchanged and put everything into her large bag before slinging it back over her shoulder. "By the way, my name is Olwen." she replied, nodding her head at the black haired girl. "I figured if we are to travel together, you might as well know who you're traveling with!" she remarked smartly, smirking a little at this statement. "I am a blood mage, or as the others at the school call me, the vampire mage." She smirked again at this fact, and continued, "Although I do not drink blood obviously, I lack a certain set of fangs for that purpose. Plus the aversion to sunlight." she laughed at her own joke. "I am not the only blood mage there, but I am one of the few." she stated becoming serious again. "My skills include healing potions that contain a tiny bit of my blood in them, but there is more that I can do." She looked at the shopkeeper and smiled in a friendly manner.

"Before we set out, I need to make a stop back at the school first. You are welcome to come inside if you wish. Then we can continue on our way."

Ahnnie

Sacora was just as equally delighted to learn that Olwen would not reject her. She also commended the mage for her sharp intuition, for she guessed that Sacora was not a mercenary but a person similarly versed in magicks like she was. "Mind if I ask what kind of skills you possess?"

"I specialize in fire magic," Sacora replied. "Mostly channeling it through my limbs, as I don't have a staff or wand." It had been quite a long time since Sacora had used such things.

As the mage gathered her things and slung the bag over her shoulder, she introduced herself, "By the way, my name is Olwen. I figured if we are to travel together, you might as well know who you're traveling with!"

Sacora nodded in reply, smiling. "Indeed, the same for you; Sacora Vale, at your service."

Olwen next told her that she was a blood mage, which at her academy earned her the nickname of the "vampire mage", although she wasn't exactly a vampire. Her skills were not clear to Sacora, although Olwen mentioned being able to make potions with a bit of her blood, and a vague "there is more that I can do". The fire mage decided that on this trip, she would be able to see it for herself, one way or another.

"Before we set out, I need to make a stop back at the school first. You are welcome to come inside if you wish. Then we can continue on our way."

Sacora thought for a moment, looking up at a clock on the wall. "I will close in a few hours. How about I just take care of business for the day and close up an hour early, then meet you back at the school? Could you tell me where it is?"

Ethereal-Star

"Sure thing Sacora." Olwen smiled. "Once you exit the shop, you head straight down the street for a couple of blocks, passing some market stalls selling fruits and vegetables along the way, as well as one selling some leathers. Go past all those, then take a left immediately after, past a rickety old sign in front of some abandoned warehouse with a black door, and then head straight until you get to the academy itself.

It's a large building obviously being a school and all, with one large turret flanked by two smaller ones on either side. The stone steps leading up should bring you to the huge oaken double doors that lead into the entrance hall. The stone block nearby should say, "Jadenshine School of Magic, Sorcery and Knowledge Repository." I should be out front in about five hours, as I need to make another batch of potions and bring these supplies to my teacher and his associates, plus check on a couple things there as well. Then we can head off again."

Olwen headed for the door, placed her hand on the knob, turned back around and said, "It was nice meeting you, and we should have many fine adventures on this trip I should hope!" she laughed heartily and remarked, "Plus if we can find some handsome mercenaries too, all the better! I do love me some muscled fine looking mercs, that's for sure." she laughed again. "Ta ta now." The blood mage then proceeded to make her exit.

Ahnnie

Sacora listened as Olwen gave the directions. Down the street a couple of blocks, past the fruit and vegetable market, including one with leathers, an immediate left, past an old sign of an abandoned warehouse with a black door, then straight until she reached the academy which should say "Jadenshine School of Magic, Sorcery and Knowledge Repository." She somehow recognized the name and realized it was the magic school she sometimes passed by on her walks on market day.

"I should be out front in about five hours, as I need to make another batch of potions and bring these supplies to my teacher and his associates, plus check on a couple things there as well. Then we can head off again."

Hmm, that would mean Sacora still had some time...still, she was excited to see the inside of the school. She guessed she could use the extra time to take a look around, if that was all right with the mages.

"It was nice meeting you, and we should have many fine adventures on this trip I should hope! Plus if we can find some handsome mercenaries too, all the better! I do love me some muscled fine looking mercs, that's for sure. Ta ta now."

Sacora giggled and blushed a little. "That would be nice, I guess...I'll see you then. It was nice meeting you too." After Olwen left, Sacora went back behind the counter and continued reading her book as she had done before. As promised, she would close up shop an hour early, head back home to pack of course, and then come to the Jadenshine school to have a look around before joining Olwen at the entrance.

Ethereal-Star

Olwen entered the school's double doors and headed straight for her teacher's main office. She greeted her teacher, a tallish man with greying hair and a somewhat weathered face, and promptly handed over the ingredients he had asked her to acquire. Then the blood mage went straight for the laboratory in which she concocted her potions and put down the supplies she had bought, before setting up the required necessities to make more. While she worked on the potions, she glanced at the sundial at the front of the room near the window to check the time. Soon it would be time to meet up with Sacora, the fire mage and continue onwards on their journey.

As Olwen was finishing the last batch, she gathered up the others and put them into her bag for the journey ahead of them and also collected a few others that were lying around the room. Soon, she had all she needed and in her knapsack ready to be used when required. For she was sure they would be. The mage had enough potions to last awhile although she wasn't able to make more of the Heal and Greater Heal potions as she simply didn't have enough time to do that. She hoped what she did have would be enough though.

Just as Olwen was about to exit the room, another student entered and nodded his head at her as he passed by, preparing to work on whatever it was he came in here for. Olwen recognized him as Joshua, a water mage. He was rather friendly, but quiet. She left him to his own devices as she didn't have the time to idly chat. Five hours had already come and gone, and she needed to move on.

Olwen continued down the hallways and passed by a couple of the mage-knights that were standing around, talking. "Hey there, Olwen." one waved to her in a friendly manner. "Yeah, hi there Miss Vampire Mage." the other one winked at her conspiratorially, a light grin playing on his features.

Olwen rolled her eyes at them and replied, "Well if it isn't Sir Full of Himself. In the flesh no less!" she smirked.

"Yeah, and I can show you more of this flesh too if ya want." he waggled his eyebrows at her playfully.

Again, Olwen rolled her eyes. "You're always such a tease, Ryan. And no, as much as I would love to see that, you probably don't have much to show anyway. Hah!"

Ryan put a hand over his heart, putting on a wounded act. "You hurt me with your words, dear Olwen. You suck the fun right out of the situation!"

"Hardy har har." Olwen clapped her hands in an exaggerated manner. "Very funny. And very cliche too, I might add."

Ryan bowed to her, ever the show-off. "I do try, it seems."

"Whatever." she stated waving her hand at him. "I have things to do and places to be. No time for talking, unfortunately."

"Awww." he whined, but added, "Oh, and good luck on your quest too Olwen. Suck any enemies dry for me will ya?" he laughed again and winked.

"I'll bring you back a sample." Olwen promised him, smirking. The three of them all laughed at this. "Bye bye now." and off she went toward the entrance of the academy where Sacora should be waiting for her.

Ahnnie

At the promised hour, Sacora shut her book, tidied up the shop, took up her bag, and closed it with a satisfied smile on her face. After making sure the door was locked a second time, she turned around and headed for her house. There, she took what clothes she needed for the journey, rations, tools, whatever she felt necessary to bring along. When she finished she locked up the house and went on her way.

She navigated down the streets according to Olwen's directions. In a little while she reached the Jadenshine School of Magic. Standing before the entrance, she felt a wave of anticipation and eagerness sweep over her, feeling once again like a bright-eyed child ready to learn their first few magic lessons.

She was greeted cordially enough by some mages as she went through the door. Knowing that Olwen was not out let, she took the liberty of looking about the school in areas she deemed she would not be intrusive to the scholarly life within. She visited the library, one of the biggest repositories of knowledge within the building. She took an occasional peep into one of the open classrooms, watching for a brief moment as students received lectures or demonstrations.

When she felt she had her fill and the time to meet Olwen was coming up, the fire mage quietly exited the school and stood at the entrance.  A few moments later the double doors opened and the blood mage emerged from the school. Sacora smiled upon seeing that familiar face again. "Hello again, Olwen," she greeted her. "How was everything?"

Ethereal-Star

"Hey there Sacora." the blood mage greeted. "Ready to continue on our little journey? I hear talk that the mage-knights of Kia's Court have been recruiting some hotties in their ranks." She winked at Sacora and grinned. "If we're lucky maybe some of them can join us on our rendezvous."

She laughed jovially and gestured with her arm towards the streets milling with people. "Shall we get to it?"

Ahnnie

Sacora chuckled as Olwen made the remark about the mage-knights of Kia's Court. She'd never really thought of summing a mage-knight up by his looks, but the notion wasn't awkward. With Owlen, it was like a joke between sisters. Sacora had a feeling they would get along quite well in this quest. Returning Owlen's grin, she said, "It would make the journey much easier on the eyes."

"Shall we get to it?"

Sacora nodded. "Indeed, let's go."

Ethereal-Star

"Definitely, eye candy for the road!" And off they went, their first of many destinations would be Kia's Court to hopefully pick up a mage-knight or two for their quest.

Walking along the cobbled streets of Jadenshine, Olwen asked Sacora, "So what all can you do with your fire magic? From the mages at my school who wield fire magics, it is pretty impressive. I recall on many occasions some mishaps regarding fireballs gone astray during student sparring sessions. One in particular which I still remember as it was hilarious."

Olwen grinned before speaking again. "This incident involved one student getting his ass burned by a particularly large fireball that somehow toasted his rear end. And I was the one called in with my healing potions to help treat it. The student was very embarrassed by the whole ordeal and refused to let me apply the potion, insisting that he would do it himself!" she laughed again loudly at this for the incident was still very funny to her. She breathed in after calming down a little, wiping tears of laughter from her eyes. "I then asked him if he needed any help with that and his face was redder than the reddest tomato!" she chuckled again, the dimples on her cheeks showing, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"He was fun to tease. But in the end, the burns healed quite nicely I might add! And yes, I had to make sure!" Olwen laughed again.

Ahnnie

As they walked Olwen asked Sacora what she could do with her fire magic. She began to tell Sacora what she had seen from the mages at her school in regards to their fire magic...and the many mishaps she had to help out with.

"This incident involved one student getting his ass burned by a particularly large fireball that somehow toasted his rear end. And I was the one called in with my healing potions to help treat it. The student was very embarrassed by the whole ordeal and refused to let me apply the potion, insisting that he would do it himself!" She laughed loudly and clearly and Sacora couldn't help but laugh along with her. The mental image was easily summoned up, after all! "I then asked him if he needed any help with that and his face was redder than the reddest tomato!" she continued, laughing again.

"He was fun to tease. But in the end, the burns healed quite nicely I might add!" Sacora was about to ask if she had to make sure of that, but Olwen said before she could even open her mouth, "And yes, I had to make sure!"

Sacora didn't think she'd ever laughed so hard in such a long while. She also didn't think someone could get her to laugh like this. Not that she ever laughed, but her emotional displays were usually kept at a subtly reserved minimum. But she had laughed so hard just now, it took a while to regain her breath. "It's a good thing he ended up all right," she added as an after-thought. "Well, who wouldn't, with you to care for them?" To which she chuckled again, imagining the scene.

In response to Olwen's previous question, Sacora said, "I usually channel my magic through my limbs. Hands, feet, mouth...yes, mouth...but not nostrils. I've been asked plenty of times if I could do that, but..." She shook her head, still grinning from the previous funny story. "Well, let's just not go there." She giggled; she was really having a laughing fit! "Anyway, that's just about all I can do I guess, although if I have a few specially modified tools with me, I can do much more." She then thought to the certain thing she had tucked away in her pack, to be used if the time called for it.

Ethereal-Star

Olwen laughed along with Sacora at the mental images the scene easily brought to her mind again. "And he was embarrassed for a long time after that!" she stated, continuing to chuckle.

Then the conversation turned to the application of Sacora's magical abilities. "Mouth, eh?" Olwen asked, quirking an eyebrow. "Can't say I've heard that one before." she admitted. "Although students at my school are supposed to channel their magic with some kind of implement, whether that be a staff, wand, orb, rod, totem or other such object. A mage like yourself, I'm sure you know all about that though. In other words, their magic is channeled through their hands mainly with the help of said implement. Sometimes the feet too, but hands mostly." the blood mage finished speaking and looked over to the fire mage. "So I take it you probably don't have one of those?" Olwen looked a little surprised at this. "Where did you learn how to harness your magic then?"

The two continued walking along the streets, nearing the gates that separated the different sections of town. Kia's Court shouldn't be too far off, perhaps three days travel on foot from here. Then they would see about hiring some mercs to join up with them.

Ikusaba

(( Hey, I know I haven't replied to this thread yet because I haven't found an opening for my character, but I'll be going to the beach soon and there is no internet connection at the house I'll be staying! So if you reference my character, I won't see it. I don't know when I'll be coming back but I'll let you guys know when I do. ))