Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Snake in the Water! [open] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, January 14, 2015, 10:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Sahar swallowed hard and met Tien's eyes, knowing this probably wouldn't be taken well. "This one...isn't sure..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Tien shouted in anger, his voice echoing within the temple.

"This whole trip was a waste! And so are you! And so is your stupid water that ain't even worthwhile to piss in! I came here for answers, not more questions. Thanks for nothing!"

Rhindeer

"A-ah!" Sahar made placating, waving gestures with her hands, trying to indicate he should lower his voice! Her face paled, not quite used to dealing with angry people like this! After all, she spent much of her time cloistered away in the temple, and generally her gift was reliable!

"Please, sir, don't shout!" she said, reaching for his arm.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Tien immediately jerked away the moment she made contact with his arm.

"Don't touch me!"

He turned his back to her and pinched the bridge of his nose and sighing deeply. He felt a slight pang of guilt for blowing up like he did to someone who was only trying to help him. It wasn't her fault that he was in this situation. She shouldn't be punished for it. Tien took a deep breath and turned to face Sahar again.

"I'm sorry," he said. "You didn't deserve that. I'm just....just......I don't know."

Rhindeer

When Tien jerked away and snapped, Sahar flinched back away from him like she'd been struck, and then she just stared at him with wide eyes. She had no idea what to do, no idea if he'd turn his anger on her and hit her, so she shrank back and chewed her lip nervously, her heart beating fast. Hakeshna! She tried to think, tried to channel her sister's bravery--what would Nasrin do? Well, Nasrin would no doubt punch the man, and that was definitely not Sahar's style!

And so she waited, shaking a little and feeling tears sting her eyes (both from fear of his aggression, and because he'd called her worthless!), before the man turned back to her...

And apologized.

Sahar let out a slow, shaky breath.

"It's...it's okay..." she said slowly, and sucked in another breath before bowing her head low. "You're disappointed, and...and...this one truly isn't sure what happened. Please, sir, accept this one's apology. This...wasn't meant to happen this way."

Wicked Basket

"Hardly anything happens the way we plan it to," Tien told her.

Tien turned and started walking out the door, but before he left he paused.

"I'm sorry."

He then walked out and sat down on the temple steps....and started to cry. She had seen nothing, which probably meant that he did in fact have no future. Tien drew his sword. Since he didn't have a future, there was no reason for him to suffer anymore. He stood and held the sword in front of himself fully prepared to fall on it.

Rhindeer

Feeling terrible for him, and confused by her own failed reading, Sahar hedged for a moment before she rose to her feet and followed after him. Perhaps it was foolish. Maybe she should have let him go. He might grow angry with her again! But after his apology, his remorse obvious, she knew there was something else going on, something deeper and terrible. Maybe it was intuition speaking, or maybe it was her own precognition tugging at her in another way--

But she just knew, in that moment, that she needed to go after him. That it was important.

And it was as she headed for the main door that she saw him, just outside on the temple steps, and at first she thought nothing of it...

Until she drew closer, saw the sword he held--and saw that he was angling it toward his own chest.

Her heart leaped in fear, and she sped up into a run.

"Tien, NO!" she cried, and grabbed him from behind, her arms wrapping around his chest.

Wicked Basket

Sahar's sudden intervention started Tien, causing him to cut the palm of his left hand drop the sword. Tien frantically tried to catch the sword, but Sahar's grasp caused him to miss and left his sword to clatter down the stairs.

"Why not," Tien sobbed. "You didn't see anything! I have no future! Why should I prolong my suffering?"

Rhindeer

Sahar's grip on him only tightened, as though afraid that if she let him go, he'd grab the sword and finish the job.

"I didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean you have no future!" she said desperately, slipping from her formal speech in her fear. Hakeshna! If she had been only a second late...

Wicked Basket

"What does it mean then," he asked desperately.

Rhindeer

"It...it means..."

Sahar faltered, knowing this was a life or death situation. That was a lot of pressure!

"It just means that, for whatever reason, Hakeshna does not want to reveal it to you just yet," she said, still holding him tightly.

Wicked Basket

Tien took the glove off of his left hand and looked at the cut on his palm.

"Why," he asked softly. "Don't I deserve to know? Have I not suffered enough?"

Rhindeer

"I-I don't know," Sahar admitted with a wince, and slowly she released her hugging grip on him, though she still kept a hand curled in his shirt. "But I do know you'll never know if you kill yourself, and that your life is a gift. As cliche as it is, Hakeshna works in mysterious ways. I--ah. This one is simply her servant. Her messenger. That is all."

Coming to stand in front of him, she winced again at the sight of his bleeding hand. "Please, sir. Come back inside? Your hand needs tending..."

Wicked Basket

"I need to get my sword first," he told her. "It's very valuable to me."

Tien walked down the stairs and retrieved his sword before returning to the top of the steps. When he reached Sahar he stopped and didn't move or say anything as if in a trance.

Rhindeer

Sahar watched him retrieve his sword uneasily, ready to vault down there and stop him if he decided to do anything stupid. But instead, he only returned back up the steps once he had it in hand...

And then just stood there.

Reaching out gently, Sahar took his arm in her hand and gave him a small tug. "Please, come this way," she told him. "Back to this one's room. Okay? It's only a short distance. Please..."

Wicked Basket

Tien sheathed his sword and went with Sahar. He still said nothing, but was obviously very depressed.

Rhindeer

Once they were in Sahar's room, she bade him again to sit on the floor cushions. "Please, get comfortable," she said, as she gathered up her wash basin and a fresh cloth. Bringing it down on the floor, she took a seat and frowned up at Tien, her brow knotted in worry.

"Talk to me," she finally said, all pretense of formality gone. "Tell me, what's...what's going on? Why did you try to kill yourself? Over my reading?"

Wicked Basket

Tien sat down like Sahar had asked.

"You could probably see everything you want to know with your ability," Tien replied. "You probably won't enjoy what you see."

Rhindeer

"Probably," Sahar agreed with a small nod. "If Hakeshna wills it. As you've seen, it's not always reliable. I am but a humble messenger. I can't deliver a message my mistress would rather withhold. Besides..."

She smiled and pat Tien's knee. "If I could just scry everything, there'd be no need for conversation, and there's a lot lost when you don't talk to people. I want to hear it in your words."

Wicked Basket

Tien sighed sadly.

"I was framed," Tien began. "I was punished for a crime I didn't commit. Then the same men who framed me were plotting to kill me, so I had to flee my home if I wanted to live."

Though he did tell his story, he left many things, such as his heritage, untold because he still wanted to hide his identity.