Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Getting Lost & Yetis [Take 2] [Wicked Basket]

Started by Ethereal-Star, April 05, 2015, 08:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

[Open by request]

"Blast!" Adelaide cursed loudly, her breath coming out in a frosty cloud. For the past two hours she had been wandering around the Sionad Tundra, trying to find her way to the village of Hyoite with little luck. This was the third time she had passed by that barren dead tree, and she knew it was the same one as there was precious few trees in this place, regardless of whether they were alive or dead. The black gnarled tree branches were jagged and with sharp pointy edges, its very presence seemed to mock her lack of direction with its desolate appearance. Or perhaps she was just letting her frustrations get to her too much. Why she couldn't find the darn village was something that was puzzling her. The mage never had this much trouble before, why now?

She was debating about whether to turn around and try to retrace her steps, when suddenly she saw a white beastly shape running towards her, its fierce claws raised above its head and letting out a bone chilling howl of rage and hunger. It was a Yeti. Adelaide had only come across two of them before now but none of those had noticed her and she wisely kept out of their sight. This one however came barreling towards her, looking for all the world a dangerous beast determined to find its next meal.

On instinct, Adelaide focused her icy energies within her and quick as she was able, formed a block of ice at the beast's feet, encasing them in ice. The creature roared at her, and struggled to break free of the makeshift prison its feet were trapped in. Finally, the Yeti managed to break free of the frozen block and once again, came charging at her. But Adelaide was ready. From her outstretched palm, an icy projectile came soaring through the air and headed straight for the snowy creature's left eye. The bolt embedded itself there, making the creature roar in agony and frantically claw at its damaged eye trying to get the projectile loose. Blood was now coming out of the wound and running down the creature's arms and chest. Adelaide didn't waste any time and kept flinging magical ice bolts at the beast as it struggled with its injury and kept trying to advance on her. After what seemed like hours had passed but was probably only a few minutes, the Yeti fell down face forward into the snow, blood continuing to pool around its head soaking into the icy terrain beneath it. It did not get back up. She waited to see if it would, but the creature continued to lay there, unmoving.

Cautiously, the ice mage went over there and prodded the beast with her snow boot. Nothing. No movement. She kicked the yeti over on its back. It eyes open wide unseeing, her icy weapon still partially embedded in the creature's eye, blood continuing to ooze out. The creature was dead. Adelaide let out a shaky breath. That was rather close, she thought.

Sighing she turned around away from the now dead beast, and continued on as before, trying to find her way to Hyoite. The icy wind whipped around her, blowing her hair in her eyes and making her eyes slightly water from the sheer coldness of it all. If she could manage to find her way she was going to make a stop at the inn there, rent a room and rest and recover her magical energies. Her mana reserve was more than halfway depleted, and she felt tired after the fight too. Adelaide needed rest. She wasn't going to risk resting here in case anymore of those creatures decided to attack. The mage would not give them the element of surprise. Another hour passed with Adelaide still searching for the village albeit unsuccessfully.

Today was just NOT her day.

Wicked Basket

It felt like ages since Cryce had felt the frigid temperatures and biting winds of his home. These trips to Hyoite are what kept him focused on his goal, and he also found them to be somewhat relaxing. He was most at home in the ice and snow, the bitter cold embracing him with a feeling of comfort that normal people would receive from a fireplace. The blizzard lowered visibility significantly, but Cryce didn't need to see. He knew his way through the snow by heart.

As he traveled even further north, he began being more observant. He was nearing yeti territory. They weren't the most graceful of creatures, but they preferred attacking during blizzards so that the snow and wind would conceal them. Cryce then saw a shape through the snow. At first he thought it was a yeti, but it was much too small. Upon closer inspection he discovered that it was a person. Cryce approached in order to make contact.

"You're awfully far north," he said casually. "What business have you way out here?"

Ethereal-Star

Through the blinding snowfall, Adelaide could make out a figure headed her way. He wore a black cloak to match his equally black hair, but as he drew nearer it was his eyes that caught her attention the most. They were the same icy blue as her own. Not to mention, she could sense the powerful magics of ice and snow within him. He too was an wielder of the icy arts. His white staff also pretty much pointed that out to her too. It was more white in color than her rod implement but the reason for it was the same.

Hefting her aforementioned rod in hand, Adelaide merely sniffed in derision in his direction at the comment. "I could ask you the same." she stated, playing it safe for now.

Wicked Basket

"I'm heading home," Cryce replied. "Now what are you doing?"

He didn't really consider his trip home to be sensitive information. Whoever this was wielded the power of ice and snow like himself. Her eyes were the same icy blue ad his own and their staffs were similar as well. Interesting. He had never encountered another ice mage before.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide regarded him a moment before responding. "Making my way to Hyoite. Killed a yeti a ways back that tried to attack me." She shrugged before regarding him again. "You live around here?"

Adelaide purposely didn't mention the fact that as of now, the ice mage had no clue where the darn village was. But she would eventually find it, if she tried hard enough.

Wicked Basket

"I am native to Hyoite, yes," Cryce responded. "And it would make sense that you were attacked. This is yet I territory during a blizzard. They like attacking during blizzards. They use it for concealment."

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide shrugged again. "Its mistake was in attacking me. That yeti won't be getting up ever again." She made a mental note to herself to not venture in this part of the tundra again during a blizzard. At least not without some company around. The encounter was a close one, and she didn't wish to repeat the experience.

After some thought and internal debating, the ice mage relented and decided to ask him for directions. "I don't suppose you know where the village is?"

Wicked Basket

Cryce raised an eyebrow at her question.

"You mean to tell mean that you are traveling to Hyoite in the middle of a blizzard in yeti territory, but have no idea where you're going?"

Cryce sighed. This chick was lucky to be an ice mage. If she wasn't she would be beyond dead by now.

"Come with me then, I guess," Cryce told her. "I suppose I can't have leaving you out here for dead on my conscience."

Cryce resumed walking once more. Looks like he will be having company on this particular journey north.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide sighed irritably. "I honestly don't know why I am having this much trouble. It's never been a problem before no matter the weather."

She began walking after him, keeping both eyes and ears out for any more yetis but otherwise kept quiet. The snow and ice continued to fall around them, not looking like it was going to let up anytime soon.

Wicked Basket

After a fair bit of walking Cryce stopped. Something was off.

"This isn't right," he said finally. "We've been walking in a straight line, so why doesn't it feel like we're going anywhere?"

Ethereal-Star

Stopping as well, Adelaide frowned. Now that she thought about it, something was indeed not right. At least it was some consolation that she wasn't the only one having an issue. However now they had a bigger problem. Neither of them knew where they were going. "I don't know." Adelaide said slowly, looking around as though the barren landscape could provide some kind of clue.

She looked back at their footprints in the snow which were quickly becoming covered up by the constant blizzard raging around them that only seemed to grow stronger with each passing second. The chilly wind blew harder, the freezing air sinking deep down into Adelaide's bones and even her cold resistant robe and heavy cloak couldn't protect her fully from its biting force. She pulled her cloak around her more securely but it did little good. The temperature was continuing to drop at an alarming rate and she even began to shiver a bit. Despite her toughened endurance, it was too darn cold and they were both now lost for reasons she knew not.

As if to point this fact out, that same dead tree came into view again. Something was definitely not right here. "I had passed by that tree numerous times already. We've been going around in circles."

Wicked Basket

How could they be traveling in circles? They had been walking exclusively in a straight line. This was the right way to go. Cryce knew it was. He had been this way before. His companion mentioned seeing the same dead tree before, but there were many dead trees in Hyoite. That didn't mean a thing.

"Only one way to be sure," Cryce said.

He formed a dagger of ice in his hand and then jammed it into the dead tree that Adelaide had indicated seeing before.

"Now we'll know if it's the same one."

Cryce continued on through the blizzard. He had to see this for himself. There was no way this could be real.

Ethereal-Star

Glancing at the dead twisted tree, now with an ice spike sticking out of the bark, Adelaide wondered why she hadn't thought to try that before now. She shook her head. It was no matter. What did matter was getting to Hyoite.

The ice mage continued on after her companion in brooding silence. Not keen on striking up a conversation as Adelaide was content with the quiet. Besides there were yetis around. Best to keep on alert lest one ended up as food for the white monsters.

Adelaide frowned, the hair on the back of her neck raising. She felt eyes on the both of them from somewhere. Looking around, she saw nothing out of the ordinary. The feeling only increased however. "Wait." Adelaide held up a hand. "Someone or something is watching us. I can feel it."

Wicked Basket

Cryce stopped and looked around upon hearing Adelaide's warning. He didn't see anything. Cryce shrugged.

"Well, if they want their life cut short then they will show themselves," Cryce told her.

Cryce then continued on his way. There was no way he could be defeated in his element. Anything would be either incredibly foolish or suicidal to face him in his own domain.

Ethereal-Star

After an uneasy pause, Adelaide continued following Cryce since she didn't know what else to do. The feeling of being watched persisted, although nothing showed up to attack them. Still the ice mage didn't feel safe so she walked quickly after the other ice mage, hoping to find the blasted village soon.

Soon a still shape on the frozen ground came into view, and as they walked closer Adelaide could see it was the yeti she had offed. The ice dagger was still embedded in its bloodied eye. "This is proof then that we're going in circles. That's the yeti I killed right there." Adelaide pointed to the dead beast with her index finger. She waited to see what Cryce would say to this.

Wicked Basket

Cryce circled around the beast looking for any signs that the corpse may have been moved. He didn't find any.

"How long ago did you kill this thing," Cryce asked.

He wanted to know exactly how big of a circle they were walking in, especially since Cryce had not seen the dead yeti before now.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide thought about how long ago that she had killed the beast. "About an hour ago. Maybe an hour and a half." Glancing down at the beast, ice was quickly freezing over its already snow-white body. Pretty soon, it would be completely encased in permafrost.

The feeling of being watched was still there, only it seemed to not be as strong now. It didn't make Adelaide feel any better though. Something was out there, watching and waiting. Who or what though, was a mystery for now. Perhaps it was more yetis, biding their time. Although in Adelaide's experience, they didn't show such restraint when it came to attacking. Maybe it had something to do with her companion here. Whatever the case, she didn't like it. "Let's keep moving." and she began walking once more.

Wicked Basket

Cryce continued on along with his companion. An hour ago? They were walking in a pretty big circle for them to encounter something that occurred an hour ago. What's more, Cryce had not become trapped in this circle until recently. There was definitely something foul at work here.

Ethereal-Star

The wind whipped brutally around the pair, Adelaide's silvery-white hair sometimes blowing into her face and she pushed it back each time it did. Suddenly the sound of a howl came from nearby, and as she turned to look, two yetis came running forth, alabaster claws raised with maniacal looks of hunger on their hideous features. The feeling of being watched had only intensified again, as though whatever it was wanted to see the outcome of this fight.

Holding her off-white rod in her left hand, Adelaide began summoning up her magic reserves inside the core of her being, what was left anyway. Icy energies surged about her as she readied her magic to come forth.

Wicked Basket

Cryce did not hesitate to spring into action. A massive icicle shot up out of the snow and impaled the first yeti through the chest. He then turned his staff into an ice bladed scythe and drove it into the second yeti, snapping the blade off inside of the beast.

"That was easy enough," Cryce commented.