Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Getting Lost & Yetis [Take 2] [Wicked Basket]

Started by Ethereal-Star, April 05, 2015, 08:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

And yet another dead end. This time Adelaide swore quite loudly before closing her mouth abruptly, looking around as she did to ensure nothing would creep upon them in the dark. Nothing did though.

Returning back to the fork for the second time that day, she chose straight as that was the only other option left. Adelaide really hoped this wasn't all for nothing, or she was going to be one pissed off ice mage.

Wicked Basket

It figures that they would choose the two wrong tunnels before the right one. If this one was another dead end Cryce swore that he was going to break through the wall at the end of it.

Ethereal-Star

Finally, it seemed they were getting somewhere. Adelaide was glad, but at the same time when and if they met whoever the culprit was, she was going to quite literally encase their head in ice and then let Cryce do what he wanted. And she had no doubt he was just as furious about the whole deal as she was. That much was clear. After all, who wouldn't be?

Spotting something up in the distance, Adelaide quickened her pace. It soon rose up into view becoming quite obvious what it was. A heavy iron gate. Looking around a bit she continued on carefully, noticing that wherever this led it was definitely brighter here. So bright in fact, they didn't really need the torch anymore. Which was strange as there were no signs of other light sources here, no sconces on the walls. Whatever it was, it had to be magical in nature.

Sure enough when the ice mage looked up, there were a multitude of light orbs suspended above them, all hovering in the air of their own accord. As she watched, they moved around a little, sometimes bumping into one another before moving away, then staying still again. Yep, definitely magic. Which meant one thing. Their adversary was a mage too.

Wicked Basket

Cryce almost grinned as they finally found something significant, but only almost. There was definitely magic at work here. The floating orbs of light confirmed it.

"Shall I knock," Cryce asked.

Though it was pretty clear that it would be very excessive knocking.

Ethereal-Star

Arriving at the gate, Adelaide tried to open it. Locked. Scowling at the door as though that act alone would make it cooperate, the silvery-white haired woman noticed a symbol on the wall near the gate. Peering closer at it, she saw it looked exactly like the emblem on the ring she had scavenged from one of the yetis they had killed.

Having an idea, she got out the ring itself and held it up to the symbol, picture facing picture. Soon, the gate opened with a click! "Finally." Adelaide muttered, putting the ring back in her bag. Listening for a bit, she made to continue past the gate to see what lay beyond.

Wicked Basket

"That works too," Cryce said mildly disappointed. "Now I'm going to go kill something."

Cryce went through the gate with his staff at the ready. Something or someone was going to pay.

Ethereal-Star

Going a ways further, Adelaide could tell it was much colder down here. So cold in fact, even she Adelaide, an ice mage, was becoming chilled. Luckily the torch provided some heat as well as light which they still did not need, the area around them almost as bright as day.

She stopped suddenly. Before her eyes, there was a little creature made out of ice waddling around. It couldn't have been more than a foot tall. Adelaide blinked, but the creature was still there. An ice elemental. It had to be even though Adelaide had never seen one before. However its nature could not be denied. Its crystalline, icy features and electric blue eyes as it glanced at her, then Cryce before it continued waddling around as though aimlessly were obvious to any idiot. And Adelaide was no idiot.

Moreover, the waft of cold air or at least some of it, was coming directly from it. Not surprising, considering the source. It didn't seem to be hostile, just fleetingly curious by the two of them. Adelaide looked at Cryce to see what his reaction would be.

Wicked Basket

"Are you serious," Cryce asked. "That's it? That's what we came all the way down here for?"

The temperature dropped even further as Cryce's anger was kindled.

"You," Cryce said to the elemental. "What's the big idea with making us walk in circles?"

Ethereal-Star

The elemental's only response was to look sideways at Cryce, but didn't say anything. However, it indicated its icy head further on into the cavern, as though to suggest their answers could be found that way. It continued walking around, ignoring them now.

Adelaide frowned. She wasn't sure this creature was the one responsible for their being lost. More likely, it served somebody who did. "I think it wants us to go further on. Maybe it has a master." Shrugging, she made to walk past the ice creature. It obviously wasn't going to be of much help.

Wicked Basket

Cryce stormed off in the direction the ice creature had indicated. He growing tired of this. It was time to attack first and ask questions while they bled out.

Ethereal-Star

As they walked on, Adelaide saw more of these creatures, some of them the same height as the first one, while others were about two or three feet tall. They all gave off cold air as they wandered around. It was definitely below freezing in here, absolutely frigid as heck. Adelaide shivered a little. Despite being an ice mage and having toughened endurance to the cold, that didn't mean she was completely immune to it either. However not being of a Master level at her craft yet, it made perfect sense. Perhaps Cryce was totally invulnerable to the freezing temperatures, considering his immense skill. She still wished to learn more from him. But later.

She was sure she was thinking the same thing as her companion. What was the purpose of these creatures and who summoned or created them? None of them were hostile and just like the first one, they showed only passing interest in them, simply content to wander on without meaning. Tilting her head back, Adelaide saw more light orbs as well, all dancing along the ceiling while some of them remained stationary.

Entering a rather large cavern, even more creatures wandered around. There must be dozens of them! And an especially gargantuan one stood at a towering fifteen feet, perhaps more, over in the far corner. Like the others before, they did not show any signs of attacking them, the giant ice elemental only glancing at them once with a cursory look before turning its head face forward again at attention. Or something.

Suddenly, a booming voice rang out echoing throughout the cavern, the sound bouncing off the walls. "Well, I see you've finally found your way here. Welcome, welcome to my humble abode."

Adelaide turned her head sharply to look for the source of the voice.

Wicked Basket

Cryce looked around as well, but couldn't find the of the voice.

"Explain yourself," Cryce demanded. "What's the big idea with sending us in circles?"

Ethereal-Star

At Cryce's question, a tall blonde-haired man in white robes carrying a staff appeared out of thin air some ways away from them. However, Adelaide thought something looked amiss with his appearance although she couldn't pinpoint what it was though. Still that didn't stop her icy retort his way.

"What is the meaning of all this crap? If you don't have a good explanation, I'm going to make you regret it." A large chunk of ice appeared in Adelaide's hand as she conjured up her magics, ready to throw it at the man in white before them if he didn't deliver. She glared fiercely at him, clearly showing the blonde mage exactly what she thought about all this.

Wicked Basket

"You better have a damn good answer," Cryce threatened.

Snow began swirling violently around him as ice began forming on his cloak and staff. Needless to say, he was incredibly pissed off.

Ethereal-Star

"Oh, but what ever happened to good ol' introductions, hm? Tea and scones to follow perhaps?" he chuckled as though their threats meant nothing to him.

Adelaide was really angered now. What kind of game was this guy playing at? Did he not have any fear of being attacked? Whatever the reason, Adelaide finally lost her temper and flung the ice chunk at the man's head, watching as it made contact with a nice crunch! A part of her thought that was much too easy, but her ire got the better of her in that moment. She began preparations for another attack, ice swirling around her hand and arm.

Wicked Basket

Spurred on by Adelaide's outburst, Cryce unleashed a hail of razor sharp shards of ice at the man.

Ethereal-Star

And with a shimmer and a pop! the man's image faded into nothing, as though he weren't there to begin with. Laughter could be heard from a far corner before he re-emerged into the room, walking with a slight waltz in his steps, clapping as he faced them.

"Now, now, is that any way to treat your host?" The man chuckled, very amused. "That t'was just an illusion, mind you. You didn't think I wasn't expecting that, now were you? Tsk, tsk." Shaking his head still, the mage went on. "How are you enjoying the wonders of my home? Do you like the elemental cooling system I've devised here? It's quite ingenious really. Cold air in a place such as this, it really is fabulous!"

Clapping his hands together once, the mage looked at both Adelaide and Cryce expectantly. "Now, I'm sure you two have many questions. Let's hear them, shall we? In fact, let's start with you there." Pointing at Cryce, the blonde haired man simply awaited an answer from him.

Wicked Basket

"You can start with why you brought us here," Cryce replied angrily. "And I better receive a reasonable answer."

Ethereal-Star

"Fair enough, I suppose. Very well. It's quite simple really. I want you two to work for me. Imagine the possibilities! With our combined powers, we could accomplish much! Taking over the tundra for starters. Acquiring many items of power you've only dreamed about! People would bow down before us and worship us as gods! So, what say you to this magnanimous offer?"

There was a glint of something in his eyes that Adelaide couldn't quite decipher, but she knew one thing. This man was not to be trusted under any circumstances. Therefore her answer was quite simple as well.

"No. I don't trust you."

Wicked Basket

"I'm already a god among men with the power I wield," Cryce said. "Ruling some frozen wasteland would do nothing for me."