Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Reporting for Duty

Started by Saber-Five, June 13, 2015, 05:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

Spirits this is it. Rubin Morrell thought as he walked through a hall. He was dressed in chain mail armor covered by a red and black tabard, holding a sliver colored helmet in his right arm and his left hand griped the handle of arming sword sheathed. His grip on the handle tighten in nervousness and anticipation for what was awaiting him at the door to the end of the hall. As a newly appointed knight he had been assigned to serve John Logaine, the Commander of Adela's army himself.

So yes the pressure was as big as a mountain unto him. Thankfully the discipline instilled since his youth kept him calm outwardly. He felt deeply humbled to be given this chance and slienlty vowed not to squander it for his family's sake. His uncle, Lord Carl Terrin actually knew the Commander personally. They served in many wars together in the past.

Of course they weren't close friends but they respected one another as fellow soldiers. Uncle Carl had told him stories of how fierce and brilliant the Commander is and how he achieved victories that were considered impossible. The parts about him being cold blooded and very demanding added to the fearsome reputation as well. To be honest at times Longaine sounded more like a dragon than a man. In fact it was constantly whispered amongst the troops that Rubin served with in the plains that Logaine was a dragon in an human disguise.

Regardless of whether if the rumor is true or not Rubin was determined to give his upmost best to the Commander as a knight should. Thinking that Rubin sighed, he was well aware that he would need to work extra hard in his duties, especially being the son of an infamous traitor. The family name Morrell was still mostly treated like a cruse even after all these years. It was all due to his late father Cristo, attempting to overthrow the king backed by a group of seditious nobles. Many lives were lost and ruined by their coup attempt yet it crushed before it can turned into a full scale revolt.

Rubin can still see his father, a man he looked up to and believed in hung lifeless by the neck for all see at a public square with crowds cheering at his death. A traitor, adulterer, and murderer, his father were in all these things all warped into one Rubin admitted to himself. The worst thing about it was that the rest of the Morrell family and those close to them had to paid for that man's sins ever since. It was a miracle that Rubin was knighted in the first place. Well one can get noticed by slaying a nomadic warlord by the name of Hanjan, breaking the will of his horde that plagued the Serha Plains for years.

Even with that achievement Rubin Morrell kept in mind that proving himself and his family's worth was just beginning. When he came at last to the door, the two guards posted there opened it for him. With that Rubin went inside the Commander's office.

JackieCat

Cirick climbed up the wall of the building spider-like, using all four of her limbs to propel herself forward.  She slipped through the window and onto the sill, crouching there.  It was an office, as the demon-like creature knew it would be.  But she hadn't expected it to be empty.

He was supposed to be there, he had said to her himself he was going to be there.  They were going to meet!  But he wasn't there.  The commander wasn't there.

Cirick leaped from the sill into the room and straightened.  She looked around the room some more, but it was truly empty of living beings, besides a few insects and spiders.

'Now what am I sssupposed to do?' she thought.  She walked back over to the window and looked out.  She was about to turn back to the room when she heard sounds outside the door.  She climbed out the window and onto the outside wall next to the window, so she could hear what happened inside the building.  There was the sound of someone entering the room, and judging by the weight and rhythm of the footsteps, a male, fairly young, or at least fit, and tall. 
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Koga

Today marked the third day of the Commanders position, and things were already getting a bit out of hand. He was receiving criticism left and right, nearly every action he made was now judged by all of Adela. The actions he made were not small ones either; on one hand he had the case of the missing Commander. The Commander before he, Tarlaka, had been kidnapped from within the Castle Gates. The only sign of her that remained were her giant black wings, which were found staked to the Castle Doors. It was a horrible act indeed, and though it happened quite some time ago there was no reason why it could not happen again, and so the responsibility of finding the culprit who committed such an act fell onto his shoulders.

On the other hand, he had the nobles to deal with. When he had accepted the rank of Commander, he had thought his position would leave him solely with the Military. He was definitely wrong about that. The Nobles were, as the Commander liked to call it, "prissy and over-confident." Though he'd never say it to their faces. They all want so much, but give so little. The Commander could only imagine how difficult it was to be King.

On a more personal level, the Commander was dealing with his own grievances. Just three nights ago, his long lost son had been sighted with his bird of fire burning down a mill inside of Ketra. Normally he'd have gone looking for his son in an instant, but unfortunately Loghaine was Commander now and his responsibility was here in the castle--for now anyway. To top it all off, his Wifes' caravan was still having trouble reaching the city all the way from the Thunderblacks. Loghaine would have loved to go pick her up himself, but unfortunately he belonged here. Being the Commander was going to take a lot of getting used to.

All this was going through Loghaines' mind as he spoke to a squire inside his bedroom. "...requesting several search parties be sent across the continent to find the missing former Commander. For the saftey of the King, Kingdom, and Noble parties of Adela. Signed, John Loghaine Knight and Commander to Adela." The squire sat at a desk, jotting down the Commanders' words word for word. Then pointing to the bottom of the paper for Loghaine to sign. The Commander signed the letter heavy handed, and then sent the squire off. However, the squire had one thing to say before leaving.

"Commander, if I may-"

"Yes, Smith?"

"The Knight you requested..."

"Yes, he's a war-hero from the Serha plains, what about him?"

"I-I've heard tales of his father-"

"And I fought to bring down his fathers' coup. With his uncle at my side. What of him?"

"Yes Commander, I did not wish to question your judgement I just wanted to offer some advice."

"And what is this advice, Smith?"

"The apple does not fall far from the tree, Commander." To which, the Commander froze for a moment. His thoughts flashed back to his child. His long lost son, exploring the world--far out of the Commanders' reach. Loghaines' face grew cold and solemn as he looked down at the young squire.

"My apple fell quite far, Smith."

"Yes Commander, my apologies." The squire then, opened the bedroom door and exited promptly.

The Commander took a moment to recollect his thoughts. So much had been going on in his mind, that he had nearly forgotten that he was supposed to meet his newly-appointed Knight in his office. So, the Commander too left the bedroom, and began walking down the hall to his office. Where he saw a young Knight walking ahead of him.

The Commander looked onto the Knight judgmentally. Part of him was expecting to see a man garbed in elaborate, decorative armor. Instead, he found something different. This man was wearing a regular suit of chain mail, and an Adelan colored tabard. Simple, yet effective. The way Loghaine would have preferred his armor to be styled.

In his Knighthood, the Commander dressed similarly. Wearing only the most basic armor, and never spending too much on it. However, as Commander of Adela he needed to be recognized. He stood proud in heavy blood-red plate armor, bordered with gold, and with a golden dragon etched in the center of his breast-plate. He held a horned helmet at his waist, and his giant red and gold bidenhander  on his back. It was safe to say that the Commander looked as deadly and ferocious as the stories of him depicted.

"A pleasure to meet you, Sir Rubin. I've heard all about your battles at the Serha Plains." The Commander said from behind the young Knight.

Saber-Five

Rubin was surprised to find the office empty but before he can examine further, the young knight heard a strong voice behind him. For a second, Rubin was about to quickly turn around and draw his sword based on the instinct he aqquired from defending against ambushes. Instead Rubin remembered he wasn't in the Serha plains anymore and so kept calm then look behind who it is. He guessed who it was and proven correct, its John Longaine himself. The veteran general was wearing the trademark armor he known to wear lately. Even the infamous blade was there on his back Rubin noted.

"The pleasure is mine Commander Longaine. I have come as ordered."

Rubin said bowing his head to this living legend, respecting his authority. Then raising his head Rubin looked the Commander in the eye as a warrior ready to serve. Rubin knew he shouldn't use flattery to Longaine, like he would have to with nobles at court. No it is better to simply address Longine here as his commanding officer and a fellow warrior then get to the business at hand.

JackieCat

Ah, here was the commander.  He had entered and had greeted the other man who had entered the room a bit earlier.

She decided to reveal herself, so she climbed around the edge of the window and onto the sill, where she crouched.  "Commander," she said, not bowing to the man as the knight, as she saw he was, had.  "You were going to meet with me here, and we were going to discusss the matter of my fee.  I did gather the information for you regarding the bandit attacksss."

Cirick didn't much like being out in the open, so she stepped into the room and into a shadow.  Some people would be slightly disturbed by her appearance.  Two thin lines went up from the corners of her mouth to almost her ears, and she could really open her mouth very wide, though now her maw was of normal human size.  She preferred the shadows to the open light, they seemed more secure, safer, as she could often see without being seen.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Koga

"That you did." The Commander said as he approached the Knight. "Apologies for my tardiness, my new position has me all over the place." He smiled lightheartedly, before continuing his sentiment, "Tell me, how's your uncle doing? Well I presume?" For a moment, his mind flashed back to the battles he led years ago. Fighting all kinds of foes in the name of the Adelan Crown. Loyal soldiers fought at his side, some because they respected him, and others because they feared him. Lord Carl Terrin was one-such that respected him and for that reason the Commander held equal respects towards him.

He hadn't noticed the third presence in the room until he heard her speak, "Commander" The voice was sudden and somewhat creepy, but the Commander did not so much as jump at the sound of it. Instead, he slowly turned to face her. A stern look grew upon his face as he looked down at the woman. Awe-inspiring hazel eyes narrowed at the creature; what was this... thing? Its mannerisms were so strange, and unheard of. If a guard were to have seen this fiend, it would have been stopped in an instant. However, it seemed to have snuck up here completely undetected. How the creature could have managed that was a wonder to the Commander. In the back of his mind, he began thinking of which guard to blame for this incident, and how to sharpen the defenses of the castle further to prevent events like this one from taking place--but there were more pressing matters at hand now.

"Oh were we?" The Commander asked somewhat sarcastically, but with a calm undertone. He didn't seem the least bit disturbed, or surprised by the sudden presence. It was almost as if he expected it.
"I do not recall such a discussion, would you care to jog my memory?"

JackieCat

Cirick narrowed her eyes and tilted her head, hissing softly.  He didn't remember?  That was strange.

"We talked not one week ago," she said. "There are banditsss attacking townsss and ssettlementss in the northern partss Adela.  You were looking for ssomeone to spy and them and find out if they had any planss or a main camp.  I took the job and got the information.  I haven't told you yet what I know, I wnted to be ssure of my payment before I gave you any ansswerss."

It was odd that he didn't remember, the bandit attacks had been a fairly large problem, but perhaps he had only forgotten her, rather than the bandits. Hough Cerick thought it unusual that he would forget her, she wasn't exactly a common sight.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Saber-Five

"Lord Terrin is in good health last time I saw him on the plains sir. He is still occupied with hunting down the last of Hanjan's followers with his troops. He sends his regards and regerts not being able to report in to you personally on the situation there."

Rubin repiled with a light smile, thinking of Uncle Carl. Before he can say any further however a different voice spoke up. They weren't alone! This time Rubin drop the helmet with his good hand to draw his blade. A moment later he was in an defensive stance in front of the commander. Upon looking to the shadow covered figure Rubin realized it wasn't exactly human yet feminine.

A strange being how did she manage to sneak inside this keep? When Longaine repiled to her statement of having information concerning bandits Rubin listen very closely while staying on guard. He kept his eyes on the uninvited guest. When she went on further details about their supposed arrangement Rubin grew confused. He looked to the commander, silently asking whether to stand down or not.

JackieCat

Cirick looked warily at the knight, his weapon was drawn, would he attack?  Cirick had attacked in the past just at the sight of a weapon drawn against her, but now she needed to keep her cool, though her long tail twitched, the sharp barb on the end ready.

The man didn't seem to be going to attack, at least not yet, he was waiting for orders from the commander, a good knight.

Cirick saw they both were wary of her, as well, and she cocked her head again. "Well?" she hissed. "Do you remember, commander?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Koga

Something didn't add up here. The Commander had only been in his position a mere three days, and everything he had expierienced in that time he remembered vividly. Either this woman was lying, or there was something very strange going on in the castle. As if the Commander needed more to worry about. For just a moment, the Commander began to second-guess whether or not he was fit for this position at all. However, that thought faded quickly, and a smile grew upon his lips when e realized he had done something right.

The young Knight, whom the Commander trusted in despite his family's reputation, quickly jumped into action. He did not require a single command to move to the Commanders' defense. Sir Rubin did not hesitate in risking his own life to protect the Commanders', no matter how monstrous the for before them appeared. This was a true warrior, more worthy of his title than most of the Knights the Commander has met in his lifetime.

"It's quite alright, Sir Rubin. Stand down, this one means us no harm..." The last part he whispered to Knight "Not yet at least." Then he spoke to the the woman in the corner of the hall, "I've been Commander a mere three days miss, so I'm afraid it's rather unlikely that we had this discussion. However, strangely enough I do believe you. But I'm afraid it may not be me you spoke to." The Commander looked to the office door behind him, and then back get to the woman. "Care to join us in my office? We can discuss this situation further, and possibly discuss the information you gathered."

The Commander was a warrior at heart, and that meant knowing when and when not to draw his blade.

((Loghaine, Rubin and Cirick in: The Imposter of Adela! LOL))

Saber-Five

Rubin slienlty nodded, acknowledging the order to stand down. He sheathed his blade and continue to listen to the rest of Commander Logaine's statement. It appeared that Logaine wanted further this conversation and it sounded like something amiss. Keeping an eye on the uninvited guest Rubin wondered what will become of this incident.

((Looking forward to the next story.))

JackieCat

This was very strange indeed, he had only been in command for three days?  She had gotten commissioned for the spy job six days ago, had she talked with someone else. Cirick tilted her head. "Perhapss it was not you, all humansss look sssimilar to me unlesss I know one well, and I do not know you.  I had thought I only ssaw you oncce before, but it could have been sssomeone elsse. . . Who wass the lasst commander?  What did they look like?  I know they were male, correct?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Koga

The Commander shook his head. Part of him was shocked by the womans' lack of knowledge on Adelan history, but then again she definitely didn't look like she spent a lot of time in Adela. "The last Commander was a woman, named Tarlaka." Loghaine said with a sigh, before making a gesture towards his office doors. "Come, let's discuss this matter in private." In one sudden motion, Loghaine made a full 180 and walked towards his office. "You better come too, Sir Rubin. You might learn something." And with that, he marched into his office. There was so much to e discussed, and so much on the Commanders' mind. However, he had to remain focused on the matters at hand.

These were stressful times for Adela indeed; to many solving her problems would seem impossible. But if there was anyone who could fix this country, it was Commander Loghaine.

((Sorry for the wait guys!))

JackieCat

Cirick hissed, so it had been a woman!  The demonoid creature was not used to human company, and telling them apart was difficult.  When he man motioned towards his office door, Cirick waited for him to go in before following.

Once in the office she immediately went to the shadows in the corner, she was hardly conscious she was doing it, it wasn't as if she didn't like the light, but she preferred shadow.  Her kind were nocturnal, and though Cirick often operated in the day, the night was when she was most comfortable and confident.

"So, I must have been sent by the last commander, Tarlaka," she said. "But I still require pay for the work I have done."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Saber-Five

Rubin followed the commander as suggest into the office with the "informant" along as well. He kept one eye to her as she went toward shadows of a corner. Truly this was one strange being. How did the previous commander Tarlaka get involved with her? Still if the information she has concerning about these bandits is reliable he would take it if he was in Longaine's postion. Still he wasn't and his duty at the moment was to observe and be on guard.

The knight kept himself next to the commander in case he needed to in front of him, if this spy turns on them. Even though his sword was sheathed, Sir Rubin's hands were within reach of it, in order to draw the blade out again if the need arises.

Tags: