Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pick a Card [visualspice]

Started by Anguish, June 20, 2015, 07:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguish

Sylas normally preferred to stay low on the streets and not draw attention to himself, but how could the best gambler in all of Serendipity miss a gambling tournament of this size? It was hosted one of the most well known gambling taverns, The Lucky Coin. There were gamblers from all over Serendipity that had plenty of money, trinkets and heirlooms for him to win. He even dressed in his nicest clothing to make a good impression.

The Lucky Coin wasn't just well known, it was an extremely high stakes gambling tavern. As such, it was equally as nice as the prizes one could win gambling there. The floor of the tavern was covered with exquisite rugs made from the finest textiles and most vibrant dyes. The curtains that covered the windows were crafted of the smoothest silk. The tables were crafted of the finest wood, they only served the most delicious brew and food... all in all, it was a wealthy gambler's paradise.

The tournament was already in progress when Sylas entered the tavern, and when he saw the stack of loot that he would be playing for, he simply grinned. As soon as he payed the entry fee, it was already his. He walked over to the innkeeper and smiled politely. "I would like to enter this tournament, please."

The innkeeper nodded at Sylas and began to speak. "The entry fee is ten gold coins." By the time he had finished, Sylas already had the ten coins out and was dropping them in the innkeeper's hands. The innkeeper then nodded again and directed Sylas to an open table.

Sylas took his seat and began to work his way up the ladder, careful to only win games by close calls and not anything too crazy. Not that it would matter, since no one could actually prove that he was cheating. Still, he decided it would be best to avoid as many confrontations as possible.

Hours passed, and finally it was down to Sylas and one other man. Whoever won this game would get the entire pile of loot. Obviously it would be Sylas, but the other man didn't know that. They played three hands, and Sylas won them all. They were close games. The man had a pair of Jacks, Sylas had a pair of Queens. The man had three eights, Sylas had a straight. The man had a flush, Sylas had a full house.

Once the game was over, Sylas put the money from his victory into his coin pouch. However, there was something odd. He noticed that amidst all of the money, there was a golden necklace with a huge emerald in it. It gave him an uneasy feeling, but it had to be worth more than ten gold coins. He knew better than to complain. He would just go sell it.

Sylas left the tavern and walked out into the streets. It was getting late, and once the night fell the streets would be flooded with low stakes gamblers that he could make a few quick coins off of. He posted up in his favorite spot, deck of cards in hand, waiting for someone to approach him for a game.

visualspice

She wasn't in it for the game, but the blonde haired woman was good at pretending to care, especially in the way her green eyes lit up when a good play was being made at the table, or when someone won the game. Though her eyes weren't entirely what the men playing were oogling when it wasn't their turn, for the way the little white dress the ample bosomed woman wore made it appear as if those ample bosoms were about to pop out.

Of course, that was her aim. Sadly, she found men to be far too predictable, so her- having incredible assets, she was smart enough to know how to put them to use. Though as one particular man appeared to win and win...
He caught her eyes, and she- well, she wished she caught more of his.

Perhaps she had, but it was hard to say. She had tried to remain cool and collected, but the heavy, blonde wig made her already, doubly heavy red hair hidden beneath, put a lot of strain on her neck and shoulders. Thankfully she was used to it, but once the continuous winner had left, she nonchalantly pursued.

Once alone, she cracked her neck and took a moment to stretch and prepare her next move. She had followed him to an inn on the shadier side of town and she was trying to act inconspicuous because well...
As she was checking out the winnings, the very item she had been hunting after was put up for a bid. And it just so happened this man had won it. She knew it was the right item because sometime during the night, she had snuck away and used her dust viewing spectacles to reveal that the necklace, was in fact, the one that she sought. And it glowed lightly with dust. But even if it wasn't heavily containing dust, dust was dust and well...

This particular kind of 'dust' (only visible to her through her concocted and uniquely enchanted spectacles), was also only truly valuable to her (or so she had deduced). Even still, she had to figure out a way to get it back, and once she felt she had waited an ample amount of time, she stepped into the place and noticed the man all alone at a table. And the smile she wore was foxy, and her hips carried an extra sway as she moved towards him and paused just before the chair opposing him at the table.

"You're lookin' mighty lonely there. Care if I take this seat? That way we can share the table and maybe provide one another a bit of company."
Besides, she knew it might not be long before others might come to join them- both to gamble and well...
Probably flirt with her. But she wanted to flash this body to Sylas, and no body else...

Unless they had some dust. Or links to it. Not that she could ask. No body knew what dust was. It was, after all, a phrase she and her father had coined-
and also, just something most might not believe.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anguish

Sylas looked up to see who had just approached him, and after a quick look he simply smiled politely and motioned to the seat. "All yours, miss."

He went back to shuffling his cards, careful not to give the... rather attractive woman, to say the least... too much of his attention. This was a game he liked to believe he was exceptionally good at, and luring your opponent in was the main part of that game. After all, once the actual game began, it was already over.

After a while Sylas stopped shuffling and placed the deck of cards on the table. He leaned back in his seat casually and directed his gaze over to the woman. "The name's Sylas. It's a pleasure to meet you."

visualspice

He may have thought he had won, but Aurora wasn't here to play the game...Well, at least not his. She could, however, admire him keeping his cool and not openly admiring her... Yet. But she's played this game before and if there was one thing men cared more about than money or trinkets.

"Thanks," she told him with a fluff of her hair. "But you hardly know me to claim if it's a pleasure," she went on, crossing one leg over the other. Leaning forward, she also used the angle to emphasize her cleavage as she smirked.

She gestured to his cards.
"So Sylas, were you just sitting here playing solitaire?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anguish

Sylas was cunning, but he was also human. Naturally he would shift his eyes to admire this woman's figure. Regardless, after his brief glance he returned to his normal, collected self.

"I dabble in gambling a bit." Sylas said with a sigh. "A lousy habit, to be sure. It brings many people a great deal of misfortune."

He shuffled the deck once more then placed it down in front of him. "Since I've already introduced myself, I don't supposed it would be any trouble to ask your name?"

visualspice

That was more like it. But she had to also entice with conversation. After all, pockets don't pick themselves. At his gambling comment, she smirked. And at his inquiry again of her name, that smirk grew more smug.

"Isn't that a gamble? To ask a woman her name? After all, it makes a man look interested." And her eyes casually avoided his as she looked at his cards.

Anguish

"Does it?" Sylas said with a grin. "I was always told it's rude not to return an introduction."

He picked up the cards and held the deck towards the woman. He smiled politely and tilted his head in a slight nod. "Might I interest you in a game, miss?"

visualspice

She grinned playfully in return and rested the top of her hand just beneath her chin, fingers fanned.
"Depends what sort of game."

Anguish

"A card game, naturally." Sylas said, even though he knew it was quite clear that's what he was implying. "Which game it is doesn't matter to me, though, as long as I can bet on it."

visualspice

Her smile continued to grow.
"Cards can be fun... but what's the catch?"
And she leaned forward, smirking. "Or, perhaps I should phrase it... What's the reward?" She chuckled softly. "Winner buys a sandwich?"

Anguish

"Well that would be a boring reward, now wouldn't it?" Sylas said with a grin. "You can pick the bet, though."

He took out a few coins and played with them for a moment, rubbing them between his fingers. Then he locked eyes with the woman. "So what will it be?"

visualspice

Aurora smirked.
"Well, how about if you win, I'll tell you my name."

Anguish

"Oh?" Sylas said, raising an eyebrow. It seemed like he wasn't going to make much profit off this woman. However, she did have his interest. "And if you win?"

visualspice

At that, her green eyes shined with mirth.
"Well.." she went on with a dramatically playful sigh. "I suppose I'll leave that reward up to you."

Anguish

"I suppose it's only fair that if you answer a question of mine, I should answer a question of yours." Sylas decided. "After all, bets must be of equal value to the people involved."

He placed the coins he had taken out on the table. "So that's my offer. If you win, you can ask me one question, about anything. As long as I can answer it, I will."

visualspice

Aurora gave a nod.
"Alright, sounds good to me." And she looked him over appreciatively, her eyes stopping at his deck of cards. "So... what's your favorite game?"
After all, they hadn't chosen what game to play for this little bet.

Anguish

"Traditional poker would have to be my favorite." Sylas said after a few moments of consideration. "It's quick and simple, and nearly everyone knows the rules."

visualspice

"Nearly everyone does," she agreed with a smirk. "But why don't you refresh my memory as you deal. It's.... Been a while," she told him, with no small ounce of flirting.

Anguish

Game over. Sylas thought with a grin.

He began shuffling the cards again, quicker than he had before. As he shuffled, he started explaining the rules. "Since we've already made our bet, this is how the game will work. I will deal each of us two cards, face down. Then I'll burn a card and turn three face up. Instead of betting again, I'll continue to burn another card and then flip the fourth. Then I'll burn again and flip the final card. Cut, please."

He held the deck towards the woman and wrapped up his brief summary while she cut it. "The goal is to have a higher ranking hand than your opponent using any five of the cards you have available. Do you need a refresher on the hand ranks as well?"

visualspice

"Oh no," she waved it off. "Youve explained it well." she then helped him cut the deck, ensuring to brush hands with him.
"You're quick," she commented on his shuffle. "There must be a lot of talent in those hands."