Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sing A Song to the Skies (m)

Started by Draconian, July 27, 2015, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

At first she was shocked at the chuckle, then she frowned and simply looked way. What an odd man. Callista took a deep breath, giving him a bit of a nasty look when he went over the very basics. "I do not eat like a pig," She told him, frowning down at her food and pressing her hands to her lips to make sure nothing was around her mouth. Sure enough, she still had the manners that were beat into her.

"I do need help with making conversation," She moved her hands to take up the fork again, frowning at it before she took another bite. Why had she taken so much? It was a small serving, but right now it felt like stones in her stomach and glue in her mouth. At least it was very tasty glue.

Another quiet moment, "I'm sorry."

A shake of her head and she pushed her hair behind her ear, "I... You're the only person I know besides..." The name hung in the air for a moment, "You don't... I didn't give you the option of not helping me before." A small apologetic smile and a gentle shrug, "I can learn how to be alone... Alone. If this will just be a burden on you."

Lion

Rembrandt turned to her.  "Relax," he said gently.  He held out his hand.  "If it is too muc, I will leave.  But until then, I stay.  Callista you've got to try and have some self esteem.  People will hone in on that and try to use it against you.  I know you are intelligent.  You're beautiful, you're clever.  You're more than you seem despite everything, and perhaps because of it.  Do you believe that you could survive on your own?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

There was a gentle frown and she looked away after a moment.

Taking in a deep breath she just stared ahead at Rembrandt, keeping her own hands in her lap for the time being. "I supposed I survived on my own while..." Trailing off she gave her guest a look but stayed silent.

"I don't know," Gently she bit her lip, looking away. "I could try," She looked around the kitchen, mentally going through the house and the flower shop.

"I'd have to leave." The very idea sent her heart racing and she pressed her palms to her legs, "I couldn't be... Where Carn knows where I am. He'd haunt me like a bad dream."

Lion

"And why would Carn keep you here?  You already did your part did you not?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

A swallow, she gently shook her head and shrugged her shoulders.

"He doesn't keep me here. He just..." A hand through her hair, all her thoughts were a mess and she pressed the palms of her hands to her eyes. "I don't know. He's not a dagger anymore. He's..." Swallowing carefully she couldn't think of any other words.

"He's evil now. I thought he was my friend before." Another shake of her head, "I did my part. Now I'm confused and I don't know what I should do because I have no one here to tell me." A gentle bite of her lip, "Maybe..." A hesitant look at him before she cast her eyes down again, "Do you... Do you know anyone that might..."

Being free was all she wanted.

Now that it was a reality - beyond the whole Dagger is a Person problem - Callista didn't know what to do. There were no instructions. There were no orders. How was she supposed to do anything if there was no one to tell her to do it?

Lion

He frowned, feeling his chest hurt in that swelling sensation that worries him.

Rembrandt leaned forward and took her hand.  "So if I take you away from here, it would all be for nothing?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Looking down at their hands Callista stared at it for a moment. Not even daring to hope.

"I don't understand."

Swallowing carefully she licked her lips and took a careful measured breath. "Take me to where?"

Lion

"To anywhere, everywhere," he murmured, looking somber, and no longer bearing his appetite.  "I don't know if I could protect you.  But you'd be free of this place."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

All at once her hands were trembling and she just looked at him.

Though her mouth opened and closed no words came out and she felt her eyes burn. Callista reached forward with her other hand but caught it back. Before she'd done what the dagger wanted. Done what she'd been instructed to do.

"You... You'd do that?" Her voice was soft with disbelief and she shook her head gently, "That... Please?" It was a step. It was a helping hand a step forward away from here. It was scary and she could feel her insides twisting in fear. There was no Master anymore but still, the idea of leaving had been something worth punishing her for and even now, the initial reaction was the same. Fear.

"Please Rem? I'll do anything."

Lion

An unusual fear filled Rembrandt, as he held her hand he squeezed it in seeming desperation.  He found he did want to help her, she was still someone he found he cared for, two shadows that found each other.  "Only for you," he found himself starting.

Carn no doubt would go after him as well.  Just to torment them both.  "We'll run away together."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Run away together.

It wasn't the run away part that had her gut suck in and her heart skip a beat. Together. Her hand moved to her chest and Callista took a careful few breaths. Before she just looked at Rembrandt. It was a first step. Away. But together. "Please? I can't do it alone." The hand in his flexed and Callista found herself getting closer. A lick of her lips, "I... I can grab a few things and... Then we can go?"

Lion

"Go," he said and squeezed her hand again. His gut tightened in a coiled knot and he held his breath.  "Better yet, I'll help you." 

Standing, he gestured for her lead the way.  "I think it might be best to make haste."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A small hesitant smile and Callista reached for his hand, bringing it to her lips after a moment and taking a breath. There were no words.

She was quick about it, packing a small bag of clothes and finally, a stash of money Bart had kept aside. Of course she knew what it was from. It made her slightly ill to take. Finally, with a few of her belongings and what money she could grab tucked away. "Let's go." Were her hushed whispered words, holding Rembrandts are tight to her.

Lion

Rembrandt looked around, listening, waiting for any sign or sound of Carn.  He had to be lingering about somewhere nearby. Rem didn't trust the quiet about them.  There was nothing out of the ordinary and that only perturbed him more.  Rembrandt released a slow steady breath when she was ready to go at last.

Once they departed, he  hurried them down the street, turning down several alleys and brushed his shoulder against a man's briefly, his face altering in the blink of an eye.  He tucked Callista's arm in the crook of his and pickpocketed small items of interest, laying a necklace on her here, and a pair of earrings on her there. 

Before anyone knew it they made one sharp, distinguished pair.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A scrunch of her nose and Callista was more interested in watching Rembrandt be Not Rembrandt anymore. Be the Face Stealer. At least she didn't have to kill him. Like Rembrandt had been worried about Reinier was nearby, a momentary glance, a face in the crowd. Perhaps not following them, but simply interested in what they were doing. A display he was intent on viewing.

As Rembrandt changed, Callista did too. Her chin was up and she tucked her hair over her shoulder to hide what she could of the scars at her neck. Though, curiosity got the better of her and she held onto his hand, giving his fingers a tug. "Where are we going?"

Lion

Rembrandt squeezed her hand in return.  "To my room at the theatre, just for a minute.  Got to grab something I've kept there for safe keeping."  He looked at her and smiled just a little.  But it was forced.  "Did Carn ever hurt you once he was in human form?  Physically?  Mentally?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A tilt of her head and she followed him, part of her curious as to why there was such urgency. Callista nodded at him, though there had been no struggle from her before, there was still none now. Only curiosity. It made her smile. His question had her blink and she stared at him for a moment, "No?" Had he? A careful breath and she simply shook her head, "I don't think so. I would know, right?"

Lion

Rem slowed his walk just enough so that she could keep pace with him, but still maintained it steadily.  "I only ask because I wonder if Carn would at all care if I took you away with me.  Would he hound us?  Would he kill me for taking you away?"  His eyes were not accusatory, nor was his tone.  Instead it was almost a playful curiosity with which he spoke, but was genuine nevertheless.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Callista pursed her lips, still rushing to keep up - his legs were longer than hers after all. A shake of her head, "I don't know." A nibble at her lower lip and she simply watched Rembrandt while they walked, "He's..." A shake of her head, "Carn is scary."  A wide eyed stare up at Rembrandt, "He was powerful as a dagger and now... He... He made himself grow." A careful breath, a shake of her head, "I... I think Carn has for important things he needs to do than... Find me."  Her hand pressed to her stomach briefly, "He used me for what he needed... Now it's... Maybe it's on to someone else now." Shaking her head again she took a careful breath.

"What do you need to get?"

Lion

Onto someone else now.  But the question remained in Rembrandt's mind: who and why? He wasn't going to lie.  There was some curiosity as to just what Carn was. He terrified Callista, a woman whose only fear had once been the reprisal of her master.  If Carn did care and decided to take all this very personally, one could only guess what might happen in that aftermath.

Rem kept on however, somewhat thrilled at the danger of all this.  It was more than he'd imagined he'd get into in months.  "A trinket.  Something my father gave me in case of a rainy day.  Maybe he did care after all."  It was a fleeting thought.  "Something to help us."

They were getting closer the theatre now and Rem frowned a little, unsure as to why.  "I feel like I might never see this place again," he said quietly.  "Somehow...I'll miss it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn