Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sing A Song to the Skies (m)

Started by Draconian, July 27, 2015, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

Help them?

Again with the plural.

Callista couldn't quite believe it.

What had been cool disinterest had turned into him holding her hand and heading to pick up some trinket. Not that she was going to complain. It was a thing she didn't even dare to imagine. An outcome that she had been hoping for the night she'd given Carn life.

A second chance.

Taking a careful breath, Callista nodded to Rembrandt and gave his hand a squeeze. "You will, I'm sure." An unsure smile because she didn't really understand why he would be missing such a place. Callista wouldn't. It was his home though, she supposed and she brought his hand to her mouth to kiss the back fleetingly. Gently.

"What's the trinket? How will it help?"

Lion

"A ring.  A magic ring.  I guess its not that remarkable enchantment-wise, but I'll show you once inside."  He  led them into the rear of the theatre, and once inside his dressing room, he moved toward the dresser in the corner.  A secret compartment revealed a small silver ring, one he slipped on his finger and abruptly vanished.

He took it off just as quickly and reappeared.  "Invisibility.  A fine tool in a sticky situation."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

A magic ring.

Callista tilted her head and watched him for a moment while they walked. Waiting, she hovered when they were in his dressing room, keeping her hands to her self. Fingers holding at the folds of her dress. Looking away for a moment, she looked back and her jaw dropped.

"Rembrandt?!"

She took a step forward only for him to reappear and she just stared, wide eyed.

"Carn could shroud us in shadow. Make us invisible in a different way." Callista licked her lips and took a careful step forward, eyes on the ring. What a peculiar item. It didn't even talk. "Carn got me out of a lot of trouble that way." A tilt of her head.

"Why do you hide it?"

Lion

"Well, if I just went around with a lovely ring on my hand, or someone rummages through my pockets to find it, well, it just might go missing.  I couldn't have that.  Maybe it was the only thing my father gave me that was of any real use...other than my little gift with the face changing," he said and paused a moment, frowning.

He held the silver ring at the center of his hand.  "Carn has a lot of gifts doesn't he?  Even can change his face too right?  That's unnerving."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Callista rubbed her hands together, "I think... I think he can change his face because of you." A shake of her head, "Carn was pleased when he realized he could do it." A careful breath and she was careful to stare not anywhere near Rembrandt.

Lion

"That is a frightening thought," he said with a soft whisper and stepped in toward her.  He kissed her brow.  "We best get underway then yes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

The kiss surprised her and she looked up at him, wide eyed. A small smile pulled at her lips in their lopsided way and she nodded at him, offering out her hand. "Let's go. Do... Do we have a place to go? Do you know... what you're doing?"

Lion

Did he ever know what he was doing?  Did he ever think that maybe he was making a terrible mistake?  Most likely. Even in this instance, Rembrandt could not say he wouldn't come to regret this later. He could only think of the now.  And now they had to leave.

"Cerenis," he said, thinking aloud.  "We go to Cerenis.  I have some gold on me.  And more stashed away.  Sometimes its good to keep things for safekeeping. We get a caravan and we hitch a ride to that city by the sea."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

City by the sea.

Callista chewed on her lip and stared off at a wall for a few moments, not quite sure how to process leaving Arca. The earliest of memories were in Arca. Taking his hand in hers she tugged it closer to her chest and threaded her fingers through his. "I have gold on me, too. I can help." A steady breath, pressing the back of his hand to her chest.

"Have you been there before?"

Lion

"I have memories of it.  I have been to many places.  And Cerenis is beautiful.  The water, the ocean.  Have you ever seen one before?" he asked.  He was almost certain that she'd hadn't but who knew just where her previous jobs had taken her.

His fingers turned in her hand, pressing his palm against her chest and feeling her heartbeat.  "It's racing...." he said gently.  "Are you frightened?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"I'm terrified," Callista whispered running her fingers over the top of his hand. Slowly she drew her hand down his arm and she moved his hand up so she could press herself into his arms. "I don't remember anything outside of Arca. I've never seen the ocean." Pulling away she ran her hands up his chest to cup his cheeks, "you've shown me so many wonderful things. Show me more?" Softly spoken, she gave him a small hesitant smile.

Ready to go as ever but rooted to the spot all the same.

Lion

"We can only go as long as our feet carry us," Rembrandt found himself saying somberly.  He took Callista's face in his hands and leaned in, not quite close enough to kiss her, but a breath away all the same.  "If we leave, we can't come back.  Not for a while at least.  You're the only person I'd ever consider calling a friend...  If we go together, there can't be any lies between us.  Can I trust you, Callista?"

His eyes were glossed over and his tone was imploring, as if this was the one and only moment he might open up to another soul in his life.  Rembrandt had survived as long as he'd lived on his own, but now he had another life in his hands, and he supposed, much in the same way, his was in her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A gentle shake of her head, "I haven't lied to you," she whispered. Callista leaned back to look into his eyes, her thumb drawing over his cheek. "I've never lied to you. Even when I wanted to." Lying and not telling him everything weren't the same, right? As much as she wished she could pretend she wasn't some broken shell of a human being she knew that, on some level, she'd always be such a thing.

"You can trust me. Please. If... If you ever feel like I might betray that you can..." Her thumb moved again, fingers moving to gently pass over his lips, "You can leave me behind. Never look back." A small sad smile, "I hate being alone but... I won't follow you if you ever want to... Want to walk away."

Lion

There were pangs in places that he'd known should only be if a blade had struck him in his stomach, deep and unrelenting.  Rembrandt wasn't sure he liked the feeling, but it didn't seem bad to him either.  If anything, it made him feel more alive.

He kissed her then, long and hard, pulling onto her bottom lip like it was a lifeline before pulling away.  "Then let's leave this place," he said.  Perhaps her answers were not definitive but they were enough for him.  For now anyway.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Pushing herself into the kiss she let him pull away, though her hands itched to bring him closer. Callista had found she liked the contact, head still up turned she licked her lips and smiled at him. "Okay." What else was there to say? She'd never left before. Being alone was a big step.

Now she wasn't alone.

Wouldn't be home though and she clasped Rembrandts hand tightly in her own, taking deep steadying breaths. "I might have enough money to get us there," and now she sorely missed the dagger. The shadow magic. The ability to be nearly invisible.

It was easy to forget how most of those sneaky murdering abilities were her's alone. It was easy to forget that alone she was as deadly as ever. "Do we leave now? Can we leave now?" A shake of her head, "I don't know how."

Lion

"We use our feet, of course," he said, smirking and with that they were off, out of the theatre and moving through the city.

Rembrandt didn't know when or where they would get a carriage out of the city.  But hanging out by merchant's that were loading up goods seemed like a good idea.  Eventually one man seemed like a viable target, and after a few exchanged words and a load of coin in his hand, he agreed to take them through the Riverlands.

It was a start after all.  And it seemed such things were getting harder to come by.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Afraid was a good word.

Anxious was better and she pressed a hand to her chest to calm herself. Heart racing. Feeling queasy.  Carefully she breathed deeply and closed her eyes. This shouldn't have been so strange... Leaving Arca should be a thing people did normally. Callista however, once Bart had bought her, she'd never left. The flower shop had been her home and prison for so long.

A distraction.

Callista's hand sought Rembrandts and she grabbed it, threading her fingers through his while she took careful breaths. "Talk to me," She demanded gently, finally looking him in the eye, anxiety clear on her face. "About anything. About you. Tell me... Tell me about your childhood or... Or about going to work in the theater."

Lion

Her hand broke his own musings, and he wasn't sure he was comfortable with such contact, in a setting where even he wouldn't know the outcome.  He felt the tension in her grip and he frowned, looking at Callista.  A girl who had never known uncertainty was now on her own - so to speak - and the terror therein.

Rembrandt squeezed her hand back.  He didn't know what to say.  "The sky is blue in the day you know, because it is said that...it is the color of Kia's eyes.  It's all a legend of course, but its an interesting notion.  The clouds too come from her eyes, when she sneezes, that's the wind, and when she cries, that's the rain."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

There was a long moment and Callista just stared at Rembrandt before idly looking down at their hands.

"Who's Kia? Sometimes people called to her," A curious tilt of her head and she looked up, as if trying to stare at the sky. "I've never met her though... Have you?"

Lion

"Kia is the primary goddess worshipped by most Serenians.  In honesty, I'm not truly certain what she does.  However, people often have faith in the unseen, because it gives them comfort, surety somehow, that there's someone watching over them, guiding their souls to their ultimate fates.  I've never met her.  But I've heard such strange tales in my travels.  Perhaps she actually exists.  Perhaps she is just a story of stories."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn