Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winter's Edge [Open]

Started by Lilbluebox, August 01, 2015, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilbluebox

Chilly air whistled through the mountain pass, heralding colder days to come. With a sigh and a ripple of gooseflesh, Ifithn'ka tucked the reins into one hand and propped her chin on her knuckles from her wagon seat. "Suppose it could be worse," the shaman mused. Asba's ears swiveled back towards her, but when the horse realized his mistress wasn't, in fact, talking to him, he snorted and shook his head. Heedless of Asba's reaction, Ifithn'ka continued, "Could be snowing. Or hailing. Even could be bandits."

Asba's second snort caught her attention, and the shaman chuckled. "Weather like this? I'm surprised we haven't run into them already." Her lip twisted into a mirthless smirk. "Just on winter's edge, just the right amount of chill and desolation..."

A wicker from the gelding. Ifithn'ka's smirk softened. "Just saying. Very atmospheric. Bet they like that sort of thing. What fool bandits do you hear of fighting in springtime when the flowers are out?"

Another gust of wind hit, watering her eyes and rocking her wagon. "And you can just stop that," she grumbled at the weather. Ifithn'ka draped the reins around their holder and pulled a blanket up from behind her, tucking the woolen ends firmly around herself. "Damned pestilent ashin'ki wind," she muttered sullenly, and continued along this vein for quite some time as Asba obediently plodded ahead on the not entirely safe mountain path.

She wouldn't even be here now if she had a choice in the matter, but she had to get to Connolaoth before winter struck in full, thus leaving her stranded in Le'raana for yet another year. The shaman shuddered; she couldn't take that. She'd barely managed one year. A summer here and there, every few decades... fine. No longer, certainly.

And now, balanced on the edge of winter as it was, Ifithn'ka was just hoping she could beat the storms before they struck.

And if she could avoid bandits, well, that would be nice too.

Ethereal-Star

Inside her cave, the crystal dragon Zy'raxas lay sleeping, her white crystalline chest rising and falling in rhythm to her breathing. Soon the great beast awoke and stretched out her wings to work out the kinks that formed while in slumber. Zy'raxas felt a great need to leave her cave and just simply fly around, enjoying the outdoors. She didn't require food just yet, as she had already found earlier a tasty polar bear to feast on, the meat succulent and tasty to her reptilian taste buds. This would be purely an adventurous trip, and nothing more. She didn't expect many to be out and about in the tundra, unless they were part of some village like Hyoite which she tended not to visit as seeing a dragon like her would only give people a scare. She didn't want to cause a ruckus, plus the fact the crystal dragon was not all that social to begin with. She enjoyed company here and there, but there was a reason she lived alone in her mountain cave.

With that set in mind, she left her cave, putting the appropriate protections up over the entrance by way of a hidden mechanism in the cave's icy walls, and then took off. She flew about over the tundra, the vast expanse of white against a bluish-gray sky, with a crystal dragon amongst it, soaring as high as she could go, simply enjoying the sights. It was a majestic feel to soar through the air, being one with the sky and the cold tundra below. Zy'raxas flew around for nearly an hour before making the decision to return back to her cave.

On the way back, she noticed a horse-drawn wagon with a single rider in it, going along the mountain path leading toward her home. Ah, company, she thought and with that, she flew down closer and closer before landing about twenty to twenty-five feet away from the cocoa-skinned woman and her horse. She was within view of them and so to avoid any hostile confrontations or misunderstandings from the human woman, she waited until they came close enough before she spoke a greeting to them.

"Greetings warm-blood. Out for a lovely stroll, I see? Well, don't mind me, I won't take up too much of your time as I am about to head back to my cave. My name is Zy'raxas. May I have the pleasure of knowing yours as well?"