Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Unrealized Opportunity (Wicked Basket)

Started by Ever, August 22, 2015, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever

Syre's eyes widened, staring at this man and it was a wonder that her jaw didn't drop to the ground. She couldn't help but put words to her utter disbelief, "Y-you're kidding right? You.. You don't actually.. You.." Unfortunately, the words you have in your mind don't do much good when you're mind has gone blank.

A rush of excitement had her bag practically thrown onto the ground, a landslide of journals and paper scraps spreading across the floor. She rifled through them, a stretched, beaming grin on her hips, her eyes sparkling, like a mongrel cat trying to catch a stray piece of lint. She hurled pictures and diagrams at him, beasts with varying amounts of limbs and appendages, horns on their heads, scales and feathers, dangerously beautiful and horrifyingly ugly.

"Oh Lucian, Lucian, Lucian! That's exactly what I want to know! They're creatures of evil they say, creatures of immense power. Their magic is taboo, way too scary for the common people! But.. But what if there's more than meets the eye, Lucian?! Humans thrive on asking "What if?" for so many different reasons and we've made some amazing discoveries because of it! Why not ask it about demons? I... We.. Could discover something beneficial for everyone!"

Syre was standing up, her hands gesticulating in wild excitement, like a preacher and she hadn't realised how out of breath she was. She panted, grinning at the the man in front of her as she dropped down crossed legged onto the floor again.

"That is what I do what I do." Her whole small figure seemed to glow and swell with pride, "I'm a Demonologist."

Wicked Basket

Lucian sifted through the many papers scattered on the floor. All of the demons were portrayed as monsters of some kind of another. That didn't seem very fair.

"Surely not all of them are evil," Lucian suggested.

Ever

This was it. Finally. Someone who didn't judge her or shun her based on her interest. It.. It was honestly a little overwhelming. She nodded vigorously, her topaz eyes brimming with an almost jovial fascination upon hearing such a suggestion.

"I think so too! I mean, for example, not all humans are evil, but nonetheless, you can still have people out there who... Well, let's just say to call them evil is practically a compliment." Syre smirked, a little bitterly, the disappointment with some in her species clutching her heart like a vice in those few seconds. She hide all pain with a smile.

"To meet a Demon is my dream. To actually have my research confirmed, to see if any of my theories are true! It'd be amazing, but.." She swallowed and again, any expression or form of emotion that wasn't laid back and cheery was pushed to the back of her mind with a large smile.

"But nothing!" She declared, a spark of determination lighting up her voice, "I will meet a Demon Lucian, I'll make my work worth it! No matter how many people disown me!"

Wicked Basket

Lucian looked at her with a confused expression.

"Disown you," he asked. "What you do mean?"

Ever

Syre ran a hand through her hair, the power of keeping a smile on your lips while talking about something like this being a lot harder than one would think.

"Well.. The fact that demons are considered evil and controversial and the like.. Studying them isn't exactly looked upon with high regard if you know what I mean." She blinked. Maybe it was best to just simplify it just a tad more for him, just in case.

"It's considered bad what I do, so I don't tell anyone." She summed up her situation with a nod, still managing to smile. Wow... It did sound a lot more simple when said like that.

Wicked Basket

Well that didn't make much sense. What was so wrong with learning? Weren't people always trying to learn new things?

"You told me," Lucian pointed out. "Why tell me when you don't tell anyone?"

Ever

Syre pouted.. How to explain this kindly.. She smiled at him, beginning to clear up her notes so that eye contact became a little more infrequent.

"Well Lucian.. You didn't know what Demons were, so you didn't already have a predetermined bias against them like most people do, you see? You're.. Open minded!" She pointed at him wildly, beaming brightly. That was the word! "Open minded Lucian m'boy is what you are, hence why I can tell you openly and not worry about you getting upset over all those reasons I mentioned earlier."

Wicked Basket

"I think I'm more empty-minded," Lucian said.

Lucian was silent for a moment in contemplation. He had no idea what he was, so he could be anything. The worst that could happen is that the possibilities of what he could possibly be would be narrowed down ever so slightly. He was already pretty sure he wasn't human.

"How... How could you tell if someone is a demon," he asked.

Ever

Syre leaned back, the excitement of having someone to talk to about Demons and not be judge started to fade into a genuine interest to talk some more, but there was still a sparkle in her eye.

"Well, it depends what kind of Demon you are I suppose. Some simply don't have a human-like appearance so that's easy to tell and they have distinguishing features from other non-human creatures, fangs, horns, dark shades of eye colour, the things they feed or drink on would be different too."

"But for the ones that do look human? Hm.. It's interesting to think about isn't it? I suppose it'd be a matter of psychology, how they behave in relation to and with humans? How they hold themselves, how they speak. And I'm sure their magic would be phenomenal if someone could sense it."

Wicked Basket

Lucian looked down at himself. He didn't speak any different as far as he knew. He spoke the same language as other people and he certainly wasn't very mean like demons supposedly are. He didn't seem very magical either. So was he not a demon? Then again, he was very different from everyone else. What was he?

"Do...Do you think that....I..might be a demon?"

Ever

With a happy beam on her lips as she rummaged happily, sorting out pages upon pages and books upon books of notes, Syre didn't notice Lucian in what would have looked like an existential crisis to her.

"Huh?" Syre's head snapped up to look up at the mountain of a man, her expression quizzical. The question really hadn't sunk in. As it did however, Syre's eyes slowly widened until they were the sizes of saucers. She jumped up, sending pages scattering around her. A demon?! No, this guy? Wait, what? Who? When? Where? How?! She grabbed the dancing pieces of paper, more flustered than she'd ever been in her life.

"U-uh I.. Well I.. I've never met a demon before a-and.. Uh, what do you eat, or drink, o-or do? How do you live life a-and sustain yourself?" Syre finally made eye contact with the man, her body shaking. She wasn't sure whether not to be terrified or excited..

Wicked Basket

"Um, well," Lucian began. "I eat normal food I guess. I drink water like everyone else. I don't really do anything but wander around, because I have no place to be. I look sort of human, but I also don't. I'm so much bigger than everyone else and so much stronger and tougher. I don't know what I am."

Ever

With each answer to her panicked questions receiving a less than mediocre answer, Syre slowly began to sit down, her eyes lowering back down to an average size. Syre smiled sadly, "Not knowing who you are, huh?" Syre murmured quietly, raising an eyebrow at him. She could relate on some level. Her interest was strange and for the longest time, with family, other girls, Syre had never felt like she had belonged anywhere at all. Syre eventually brought her smile back. Demon or not, the least she could go was help this poor man. He was confused.

"You make a good point Lucian, but what about your family? Your genealogy? You could just soldier or warrior ancestors from some place or another." She shrugged. It was really hard to believe this guy was a Demon, but.. Maybe she shouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Besides, for someone who had never even seen a demon before, honestly, how was she to know for sure?

Wicked Basket

"Family," Lucian asked. "What do you mean? And what are ancestors?"

Ever

Syre blinked, rather slowly, almost one topaz eye at a time. Now, her earlier internal mocking and perplexity of how clueless this guy seemed to be was replaced by genuine concern. He really didn't know what family were. Syre coughed. She wasn't exactly the sharpest blade in the holster when it cam to intelligence and honestly, it didn't help that for some reason it was rather hard to explain such concepts that were as easy as natural breathing to most people.

"It's people.. You're.. Ah, related to! By blood! Like.. You have a mother and father who you know.. Made you and say, that make other children, they're your family, brothers and sisters, yes? Me, for example, I've got five brothers. And ancestors.." Syre frowned. She'd sat through hundreds upon hundreds of lectures, rants and speeches about the importance of respecting ancestors, upholding heritage and appreciating the lives and stories of those who died so that they may live, or some nonsense like that she supposed, but now that the time came to explain what ancestors were and what they meant, she had no idea what to say.

"They're the people whose blood you share that came before you many, many years ago. They were the mother of the mother of the mother of your mother, you know? It's like.." Her gesticulating hands suddenly starting waving manically an idea flashing into her mind, "A tree!" she burst out, grinning, "You know what a tree is right? Well, family and ancestors are a lot like that! Many roots, the ancestors, make one large trunk that go off into thousands of branches, your current family!" Syre's grin could fall off her cheeks, her pride was making it so wide.

She stared at him expectantly, hopeing her first go at teaching had been successful.

Wicked Basket

Lucian merely stared at her and blinked.

"I don't think I have any of that," Lucian said. "Last time I was in a tree I fell out of it."

Ever

Syre had never had to do so much emotional composing to ensure her spirit stayed intact. She managed to stop herself from releasing a sigh and focused all that exasperated energy into simply slumping her shoulders. She frowned, gazing at him. Clueless, lost, on the verge of believing he's a demon. Wow.. Maybe she was way in over her head with this one.. He certainly didn't look like any demon she'd ever seen in books.

"So.. You really can't remember a thing, huh? You really have no family at all?" A twinge of sadness went through her heart as she imagined not having her family. It was a little impossible.

Wicked Basket

Lucian shook his head.

"All I know is that I somehow ended up in this world," he told her. "All I knew was my name."

Ever

For one of the first times in her life, Syre had been subdued by how intrigued she was. She wasn't bounding in utter enthusiasm, hungry for more knowledge, she was just... Intrigued! She couldn't think of any other way to put it.

"So where exactly did you wake up and find yourself? Did you know? Any landmarks, any clues? Where you found yourself may have the most clues as to your true self? Did you ever go back and check?"

... Okay so there definitely was a little bit of insistence and eagerness presence. How could there not me? This.. He could be a demon.. It seemed impossible, but.. She had been a lot of things were impossible about what she wanted to do. It was her right to prove them all wrong. Maybe.. This could be how.

Wicked Basket

"I woke up in a forest," he told her. "But I know not where specifically. I doubt I could ever find the spot again. I've traveled very far since."