Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fit to be Tied [Moonie] [M]

Started by Zane, September 07, 2015, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

Some part of her recognized that she was being foolish. Locking herself in a bathroom solved nothing. Aside from the small windows aligning the top of the wall to let in light, there was no way out. And those windows were to small for even her. Eventually she would have to open the door, whether from hunger or controlled emotions it didn't matter. Eventually, she would go out and face him. Face the fact that this was her life now. There was no turning back.

She could feel, physically feel, the worry that Raff felt for her, and Identify it as such. The anxiety she felt so strongly from him only added to the instability. She felt wrong for causing him such unrest, rather, it made her physically ill. But at the same time, she was so torn. She wanted to be comforted by her brother Micheal, like he used to do whenever she hurt herself in one was or another.

The desire only sunk more needles into her chest. Her brother, who had always been a foundation that she could push back against no matter the circumstances, he was a member of the most prestigious protectors of mankind. He regularly went on werewolf hunts. Micheal would undoubtedly rebuke her, laying with an enemy of mankind, not once but twice. An again it hurt to refer to Raff and his mother an 'enemy of mankind'. It hurt like she'd just cut herself. They'd been nothing but kind to her. And she betrayed them in her thoughts.

Immobilized by her own emotional instability, she ignored his pounding and instead allowed herself to fall on her side. Hugging her knees in a fetal position. Trying very hard to ignore the somewhat dried fluids on her inner thigh that were suddenly making themselves so extremely noticeable.

Zero

Their emotions were feeding off each other, intensifying and reflecting off of each other's hearts in a way that was only going to continue escalating the situation. Raff knew this, but still he ached and wanted to destroy the door keeping his mate from him. She was unhappy and he needed to comfort her. It was an instinct so strong and undeniable that he might have acted on it and splintered the wood beneath his hands if not for a soft growl coming from down the hallway.

Raff looked over his shoulder at his mother who was scowling at him quite fiercely. He gestured helplessly at the door, things exchanging between mother and son without the need for words. Talia knew that her son had upset his mate - probably quite avoidably and stupidly.

"You're not helping. Go, clear your head. That will help more than anything you can do here." Her voice was soft, but authoritative. It did not matter how old her son was, that he now had a mate, or that he was currently standing naked in the hall looking rather helpless and miserable, Talia Wayland expected to be obeyed.

Giving one last frustrated look to the bathroom door, Raff dropped to all fours as his body shifted into the wolf. He was out of the house in moments, the werewolf stopped only to give one mournful howl before sprinting full speed into the forest.

Talia moved to the door and knocked very gently. "Altira, child? Would you like to talk about it? You might feel better."

Zane

It was a solid minute, approaching two, before any response came from the other side of the door. Quietly, the bolt slid open. Altira sat against the wall, about two feet from the door. Wrapped in the blanket that she'd left in the bathroom. Though she kept here eyes down, she didn't stare at anything in particular.

"It smells like him. And oddly, I find that reassuring." She spoke softly, without inflection, "It also smells like sex, and clean sweat, and others.. werewolves. Similar to Raff yet unique. I take it this blanket has been around for a while." Her face was streaked, her nose partially clogged, "About seven years ago, because I was foolish, I fell off of a horse. Somehow, when I landed, I ended up hitting my head pretty hard, and dulling my sense of smell. Now that I can smell and differentiate scents is.. different and somewhat startling. But not bad."

Only then did she look up at the woman, "Why do I feel wrong for wanting to like Raff? Why do I want to like him if it feels so wrong?" There were tears again in the corners of her eyes.

Zero

Talia waited with the infallible patience of a mother, grandmother, and matriarch. It was quite expected for it to take time for her daughter-in-law to decide whether or not to allow her entrance to the bathroom. Even if it was her house, she didn't mind giving control of the room to Altira for the time being, the poor young woman needed it.

When the lock finally unlatched she slowly and cautiously entered the room, closing the door behind her just in case her son was foolish enough to return too quickly. The last thing needed was for Raff to set poor Altira off again.

The older woman joined the younger one on the floor, although she kept enough distance so as not to crowd her. Talia didn't speak at first, only listened. She understood being comforted by her mate's scent. Even years after his death, Reuben's scent had a calming effect on her. It would kill her if his scent finally faded from the blankets, sheets, and clothes she kept that had been most heavily saturated in his distinct musk.

"Yes, it has. You're going to feel and experience a lot of strange things in the next few weeks, Altira. The mate bond effects human mates almost as much as they do werewolf ones. I saw where you took a nice bite out of my son. Completing the bond like that makes it stronger." Talia paused and sighed softly, "I'm afraid I can't really tell you exactly why you feel wrong for it, but I can tell you why you want to like and love him - the mating bond. He is your mate. You are destined for each other. Nothing can keep you apart, your souls yearn for each other. If they didn't you wouldn't be mates."

Zane

Her hand went to the bandaging on her shoulder, only to realize that she hadn't put it on after the bath. The bite itself was already scabbing nicely. "I don't even really know why I did that. I just figured, maybe if I was going to make this work, It should be on even footing..." What followed was silence as Altira contemplated just how much she should tell this woman.

"After I bit him, he told me that I should take another bite after being changed..." More silence. "My two oldest brothers, one of which I am very close with, were previously members of the Order of the Moon. The Order seeks protect humans from that which might try to hurt them. Fae Cults, Vampires, Demons, Primal Witches... werewolves."

Altira's face began to crumple, "I'm not going to get to see my family again. Never get to my sisters' kids. Never get to hug my mom..." Her voice seemed to get smaller as she went on before she finally broke back into quiet sobbing, her face buried in the blanket.

Zero

Talia wasn't sure what to really say to the idea of Altira wanting to be 'on even footing' with Raff to make their mating work. It was good for mates to be balanced partners to an extent, but she had never known a human to bite their mate so quickly. She had waited months to return Reuben's bite and fully accept the mate bond.

Her lips pursed into a frown when she was told Raff had mentioned turning her. That was a very sensitive subject, far too delicate to bring up teasingly so soon. Well, Talia knew men were idiots and her son wasn't an exception.

It was the next bit that had her stiffening, though. Altira's brothers were wolf killers? That made things much more difficult for everyone. Nothing changed in regards to the fact that Luna didn't make mistakes and Altira was her son's mate, but it did complicate how to integrate her new daughter-in-law into the family.

"Oh sweet child." Talia murmured softly as she moved to gently put her arms around the poor sobbing woman. She felt very sorry for her in that moment, but not pity, empathy. Her family hadn't had any wolf killers, but she had lost her family by mating to Reuben as they refused to accept him. The choice had been both easy and incredibly difficult - Reuben won that battle every time.

"I know it isn't the same, and you will always want your family, but Raff will share our family with you. We already love you. I have three daughters, and they all have mates. Did Raff tell you? You've got little nieces and nephews to meet now with your new family. And...don't say never. I'm sure if your family was just made to understand how much you mean to Raff..."

Zane

Altira only cried harder as Talia wrapped her arms around her. The young nobless actually held the woman closer. Crying into her as opposed to the blanket. And there they stayed while Altira just released all the built up emotional pressure. It took a few minutes, but slowly, she calmed down. It was a few minutes more before the young lady pulled away, wiping her eyes with her palms. "No, he hadn't told me. He's spent the morning catering to me and my inconsistency."

"I feel like a wreck. Just following whatever emotion is strongest at the time." She sniffled slightly, rubbing at her nose, "My head tells me that this is all wrong, that I shouldn't be here. I don't even know where exactly here is... But at the same time my gut tells me that it doesn't matter. That I'm safe, that I can trust my surroundings." Her voice carried an wavering inflection, like she might cry again. "And I'm scared. I've always known what was going to happen. And now everything seems so uncertain. I just.." she made like she were trying to grab the right words out of the air but to no avail, "I can't even really put into words why I'm crying.. And that just makes it worse."

Zero

There really was nothing to be done but for Talia to hold her upset daughter-in-law and allow the poor thing to cry it out. It wasn't shameful, or all that uncommon. She could remember her first few weeks mated to Reuben. Talia had been a wreck and bawled her eyes out inconsolably on more than one occasion as everything overwhelmed her. It was an understandable reaction to having one's entire life turned upside down and changed irrevocably.

"He's going to spend the rest of his life attempting to cater to you, child. It's in his nature, and feeling like a wreck is natural. You've been doing better than I did back when I was going through all this." Talia offered soothingly, "I know it is hard right now, but you're a strong one, I can tell. Raff will help you through all of this, but you don't have to be afraid or uncertain about your future, Altira. What do you want to happen going forward? Whatever you want, whatever you decide, I will support you, and your mate will do anything to make you happy."

Talia wasn't worried that this beautiful young woman would leave her son. If the noises she'd heard coming from Raff's bedroom and the bite she'd seen on his neck were any indication things were going fairly smoothly insofar as their bond forming and strengthening.

Zane

Altira calmed further as she listened to Talia. She'd been through this too and, by all appearances, she turned out pretty well. "Thank you.."

She had to admit to herself, the worst part about her feelings at the moment was how she didn't feel like herself. She was a strong woman who was taught to be strong by the greatest men in Moonspear. She didn't cry so easily. Maybe she hadn't planned on being mated to a werewolf, how anyone could plan for that was something to wonder.. But she was still Altira Zamt'ris! And she would face whatever life could throw at her.

All things considered. There were worse fates. She was alive, she was fed, and she was safe. Everything she knew about was very likely wrong. After all, Raff and his mother weren't savages.

The young lady took a deep breath and stood up. Pulling the blanket over herself, "I think I'd like to get dressed now. I can't stay locked it the bathroom forever." She offered the motherly werewolf a shaky smile. Her eyes were still puffy, but she wasn't going to cry anymore.

Zero

Talia smiled and patted Altira's arm in a very motherly fashion when the young woman thanked her. Thanks weren't necessary at all, but she accepted it gracefully regardless. She rose to her feet as her daughter did, nodding her head slightly. It was a relief to see Altira getting a hold of herself. Not that there was any shame in crying, breaking down, or having a moment of weakness, but she much preferred her family to be happy, confident, and strong.

"Yes, you should get dressed. You'll feel better facing things with some clothes on, especially as the company arrives. I think you were too distracted to notice, but there was some howling going on. My daughter Nerissa is on her way with her pups. Her mate, Cortland, is out running with Raff. They're all going to want to meet you and welcome you to the family. Do you know much about werewolf hierarchy?" Talia didn't want to overwhelm her new daughter with information, but she wasn't expecting to introduce her to Cortland quite yet, either.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Raff was breathing heavily when he padded to a stop in the place where he had claimed Altira the night before. Cortland was already there, slowly circling the area, pausing to sniff interesting scents – he'd lingered a long time over Altira's shredded clothing, the entire area was saturated in the human woman's scent, but even more overpowering was Raff's scent and the distinct smell of sex and arousal, though they were beginning to fade. There were also hints of blood.

With Raff now present Cortland began following the trail that Altira had left in her flight. They paused to examine the remains of the bandits that Raff had killed, but quickly moved on once more as those were hardly interesting. Human scum that threatened the mate of any member of their family were deserving of worse fates than death.

It was the initial crime scene that the wolves examined now. Last night Raff had been too consumed with claiming his mate and seeing to her safety and comfort to worry about figuring out everything that had happened. Cortland had a more level head and the distance of not having his own mate threatened to look at the incident more objectively. So far no humans had disturbed the area and bodies were strewn across the road, both bandits and soldiers that had obviously been guardians for Raff's mate.

They had a lot of work to do, with Cortland directing the clean-up. First the wolves found a suitable place to build pyres, constructing a structure for each of the fallen men that had been part of Altira's party. In their hybrid forms they lifted and moved each corpse with great care and respect. While not knowing any of these men personally, each had died trying to protect Raff's mate and both wolves treated the fallen soldiers with reverence. Each man's belongings were found, sorted, and placed upon his pyre before they were finally lit.

Both wolves howled mournfully as the fires burned.

The few corpses of the bandits were handled with far less consideration. Dragged off the road and partially covered with dead branches to hide them from general passersby, no other amendment was made for them. As far as the wolves were concerned scavengers could feast on their remains for all they cared.

Altira's belongings were found and set aside, Raff would take them to his mate. Surely she would be pleased with having her things returned to her. The scents of two women marked the remaining items, but there had been no female corpses to burn – which worried both wolves greatly. If the bodies were not here then the women had been taken. Considering the sordid nature of the bandits, they would be in great danger.

The women's belongings were secured to Raff's back and Cortland led the charge through the forest as they followed the trail of those bandits that had survived their assault. Two very angry wolves circled the bandit encampment, locating the bound, bruised, and weeping women before coordinating their attack. No mercy was shown when they struck, and against two wolves the wicked, cowardly men stood no chance.

Altira's maids were quite in a daze by the time the men were dead. Probably in shock from the sheer amount of trauma they had been through in the last several hours. In their hybrid forms Raff and Cortland helped the stunned women dress with clothes from their belongings. The two young women eventually began sobbing again and clinging to their rescuers, regardless of their beastly appearance. Both women were lifted and gently carried away – away from the den, and away from Altira, back towards human civilization where they belonged.

With their limited possessions in hand, the poor girls were brought to the far edges of the nearest town and gently left on the road, with encouraging nudges towards the town center. With final wide-eyed looks at the werewolves, they turned and ran, slightly stumbling, together to freedom and safety.

Zane

More family was already coming? Once again she became aware at the stickiness between her legs. She have a short glance to the tub across the room. Unlikely that there would be time for that. Oh well. Altira turned back towards the matriarch. "Werewolf hierarchy?" She asked, stressing the first word, "Nothing. Never even heard the two words used together like that. But I know that wolf packs tend to follow one male leader. My education was more focused on reading, writing, riding, sewing, and the like. Though my brothers taught me to use a sword and shoot a crossbow."

Of course, now that she thought about it, it made sense. Just like humans had a hierarchy to help keep order, so much any species. This sounded like information she should have, but was the bathroom really the best place to have this conversation?

Zero

"There are...similarities." Talia said quite seriously, as there were some parallels between regular wolf hierarchy and werewolf hierarchy. She'd seen Altira's glance at the tub and was glad the young woman hadn't actually attempted to head for it. There wasn't time for that and it would be best if she left the mess where it was for now.

"Either way, run and dress child, before they get here. Nerissa won't care if you're naked, but I'm certain you would. When you're done come to the great room and I'll give you a rushed lesson on werewolf structure and etiquette - you're going to need it when Cortland gets here." Talia looked at the tub, then back to Altira. "And don't clean up."

Zane

Altira squirmed just a bit as she was told what she couldn't do. She wasn't overly fond of the way the dried fluid pulled at her skin, but she was sure Talia knew best and was looking out for her. She nodded politely, Bowing shortly out of habit before leaving the bathroom. It didn't take long her to get dressed. Oversized clothes didn't fight while they were being put on. She did however rummage through Raff's dresser to try and find a cloth belt. Fruitlessly.

Altira came out of the bedroom looking much more like herself, her eyes looked considerably less puffy, and she looked far more comfortable now that she was covered in something other than just a blanket. In the great room, she sat across from Talia. Folding her legs under her in the rather comfortable chair. "So, what do I need to know?"

Zero

Talia had given Altira one last sympathetic smile before the young woman disappeared. She knew it wouldn't be the most comfortable for her new daughter to go about with that dried on her skin, but for now it was just best to have that extra scent of Raff on her.

When Altira returned she was sitting comfortably in a chair by the fireplace, a low fire burning in the hearth. She waited until her daughter was seated comfortably and asked before beginning. "Werewolves often live in family groups, or packs, just like normal wolves. My children and their families all live within a certain range, covering the territory of our pack. You were correct that there is a male at the top of the hierarchy, and in this family that is Cortland, the mate of my daughter Nerissa.

"The alpha male is the leader and patriarch of a pack, and as such he is the primary protector and guardian of the entire family - each male is the protector of his own mate and pups, as Raff is now yours, but Cortland also holds a responsibility to protect each member of this family, and that now includes you. As the key provider, protector, and leader of this family it is expected that he is shown a certain level of respect. Now, a wolf shows respect and submission in various ways, At family meals Cortland must begin eating first, at family gatherings if Cortland speaks everyone else must fall silent and listen - his decisions are final. Do not argue with him when he gives an order, but more often you will find him making suggestions. He is a wise and noble wolf, so you should always take his words into consideration." Talia paused and chewed on her bottom lip, trying to consider what else would be important in the immediate future.

"When Cortland and Raff arrive, and I know this may feel difficult, you should greet Cortland first. A simple bow and introducing yourself are fine. You will be expected to submit to him as your alpha as you are joining this family. Acceptable shows of submission are exposing your neck or bowing your head. If you were in wolf form you could also roll onto your back and expose your belly, but that won't be pertinent for quite some time, I'm sure. Now this part might be difficult for you, but every wolf that enters this house, with you being so new, is going to want to sniff you. Smell is important to us and they only wish to learn your scent. And try not to get too nervous - no one expects you to be perfect, and if you make a mistake just gloss over it. Cortland is a reasonable wolf and will not get angry at you, especially if you are trying to learn.

"Once you've greeted Cortland and he's returned your greeting you should immediately go to your mate. Raff is anxious being away from you and will feel calmer once he has been able to touch and scent you again. Do not be surprised to see Nerissa also immediately going to Cortland and having the same treatment. Also do not be alarmed if Raff begins growling anytime Cortland looks at you too long. It is silly and ridiculous, but he will be jealous and leery of him even knowing that Cortland is mated and has no sexual interest in you. Which is why I asked you not to clean up. I know it isn't the most pleasant feeling, but for now it keeps Raff's scent very heavily on you. This will keep Raff's wolf calmer, knowing that, and pardon this explanation, his territory is marked. It also emphasizes your rank within this pack. As your mate, Raff now shares his rank with you, which is a beta - just below the alpha." Talia sighed and leaned back, feeling that she'd given a great deal of information for Altira to try to digest on such short notice. She'd just thought she would have more time before Cortland came to greet the newest member of the family.

Zane

Altira leaned forward slightly while listening intently, this was something she could do! She'd been raised by nobility, so social protocols were in her blood. She'd learn them, commit them to memory, then from there, into instinct. "So, Cortland is the Alpha, highest male, protector, eats first. Greet him first- bow and introduction -then go to Raff. Brace for sniffing." With each statement, she her thumb to another finger on her opposing hand, "Does Cortland have any Honorifics that need to be used? Specific wording for introductions? Which would be better; a slight bow of the head, or slight bow from the waist up?" The more info she had on protocols the more comfortable she felt.

Then she remembered something. "My brother once told me that you should never look a wolf in the eyes, does that apply here?" It seemed like there was no part of Altira that was the girl that had been crying in the bathroom not even a half hour ago. She seemed more focused, determined, and best of all, stable.

Zero

Talia smiled at Altira, pleased with how well she was taking the information given, and nodding her head in approval with each "tick" she made on her fingers to highlight key details. It also felt good to see how much calmer her new daughter was. A distressed member of the family could easily set the entire family on edge, wolves were quite empathetic like that.

"In a formal setting you would address Cortland as Alpha or Alpha Wayland, but that won't be necessary here. If you were a wolf it would be different, and there will be a formal induction once you've been turned...if you choose to turn. Neither Raff nor Cortland would demand that, I hope you understand that. Even if you stay human for the rest of your life we will accept and love you just the same." It was true, and Altira probably didn't really fully realize that it wasn't just Raff or her that would love and protect her, but the entire family.

"As it is, you will be submitting to the Alpha and he will accept your submission and then you will be officially considered a member of this pack - again sharing your mate's rank. As for the eye thing, your brother is not wrong. Eye contact is fine, but to maintain it for more than a few seconds is rude, and can be considered challenging or threatening. How much eye contact is acceptable has a lot to do with rank, but those intricacies we don't have much time for. This mostly applies to Cortland, if you meet his eyes you should always lower yours respectfully within a couple seconds unless he's demanding your gaze, and you will know if he is. Raff, on the other hand, you may stare at as long as you please." Talia winked at Altira playfully.

"Ah, and my daughter Nerissa, as Cortland's mate, is technically the Alpha Female, Madam Alpha, or Alpha Bitch...whichever term you want to consider, all are correct. You should show her great respect as Cortland's mate, but it is not quite as rigid. As with Cortland you should lower your eyes respectfully when your eyes meet and listen when she speaks, but I am sure that you will quickly realize that there is no reason to be ill at ease around either of them. They both care for the pack very deeply and they equally share responsibility for everyone's safety, comfort, and happiness. Which is probably why they were so eager to come so quickly to meet you." Raff was the family baby, being her youngest, and that meant Altira was the last mate to be enfolded into the pack, all new family members for some time would be pups.

Zane

Altira listened intently, likening all these rule to another court. Every court had its own rules and intricacies, this realization helped her to smother her doubts that she had been facing just a little while ago. Courts and their rules were something very familiar to her, "Okay, so I'm pretty sure I've got this. Cortland and Nerissa are mated, they are the Alphas. Eye contact is okay, but shouldn't be maintained. Should I submit to Nerissa too, or just Cortland? Also, how will Cortland 'accept' my submission? I feel like that could be useful information."

To be honest, she probably didn't grasp the full depth of submitting, but everyone bows to a King.

Zero

"Submitting to Nerissa isn't necessary, unless you've done something to warrant discipline, but I don't see that as a problem, child." No, Talia really doubted it would come to that, Altira seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and was learning very quickly. She didn't have a chance to finish the rest, as the door flew open and a young girl of six raced to jump into Talia's lap with a squeal.

Nerissa followed carrying a young toddler. Nerissa had Raff's coloring, dark red hair and piercing blue eyes, of a height with Altira and looking only a little older than her. "If you were a wolf it would be different when Cortland accepts your submission, but I imagine you're going to receive a hug and be welcomed quite warmly. Don't let all these social formalities or his size fool you, Cortland is quite the teddy bear."

Zane

As the door burst open, Altira straightened in her chair and pulled her legs out from under her. it was not proper for a lady to be lounging as she was. Old habits were coming to the surface. The young nobless glanced to Talia and back to Nerissa. Should she stand and greet Nerissa? She didn't know. Talia was focused on the young girl now in her lap.

She drew on instinct and stood, looking the new woman in the eye for just a second before politely dipping her head in a small bow, "Hello, I am Altira. Raff's mate. It is a pleasure to meet you." She'd been taught that it was better to be over-formal than rude.

Zero

Nerissa smiled at her new sister warmly, a slight amusement twinkling in her bright blue eyes. Without preamble she stepped forward and placed a hand on Altira's shoulder and a kiss on her cheek. "Yes, I know, just as you know I am Nerissa, Raff's sister and Cortland's mate. It is so nice to meet you. Our family feels that much more complete now with my baby brother finding his beloved."

She stepped back to give her new sister just a little space as Talia came up with the girl in her arms. Nerissa nodded to the two children. "These are my daughter, Ashley, and my son, Joseph. Children, say hello to your Aunt Altira."

"Hello!" Ashley said brightly, while her younger brother, much more shy, smiled and waved bashfully before turning his face to hide against his mother. Both children possessed very dark hair and brown eyes.