Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Blood [JackieCat!]

Started by Ethereal-Star, September 18, 2015, 10:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

OOC Tags to @JackieCat !

Standing up after finishing his latest blood ward to protect some new possessions of his, Drake washed his hands of the blood in a small wash basin before drying them on a clean cloth. With the remainder of his own blood that was still pooling from a cut on his hand, he muttered a few arcane words whilst drawing a healing rune in the air over his palm, the cut sealing up then, the skin now unmarred. After that bit of work was finished he proceeded to organize some books on his bookcase. His imp familiar Aoban, was currently sleeping on a dark red pillow that looked like blood solidified, making the most disturbing snoring sounds while doing so. It sounded like a combination of grunting and hellish cackling, among other things.

After repositioning a few books on his shelf, one of his associates Gareth knocked on the door to his study and Drake went to open it then. "Yes?" he questioned, with a firm even look.

Gareth, aptly named "The Dead Raiser", didn't look too far off from death itself, what with his sunken features and skeletal left arm. For indeed the man was a half-lich, his practices going down the path of the ultimate necromancy, that most of his ilk strove to become.  "A young woman has requested to see you, to talk to you about joining the guild. A certain Miss Elliot Seerkin." Gareth intoned in a gravelly voice, his expression reflecting that of a bone-chilling wraith with the way he smiled deviously at this bit of news he relayed to his superior. "She claims to be of use with potion making and certain dark magics."

"Send her into the main room. Tell her I'll be there in a minute or two." Drake responded.

"Aye, Drake, will do." And he left to go fetch this Elliot Seerkin who was currently waiting outside the establishment, as the place was hidden by strong magics from unwanted eyes.

Drake stood there a moment, his finger tapping his chin in thought. "Fresh blood, eh?" he intoned, a smile working its way onto his thin face. "Let's see if this woman has what it takes to be a member. It should be a most interesting prospect."

JackieCat

Elliot was barely a woman.  At only fifteen and living by herself since she was eleven, she wasn't a very confident girl, but this opportunity was to good to miss.

She had been selling a potion to a man when she heard him mention to his friend an order of people who practiced dark magic.  Immediately Elliot had been curious, but she hadn't had the courage to ask the men.  They both had been wearing cloaks and hoods that covered them completely, and she had been, frankly, terrified of them.  But then they had returned again and again, asking for her potions.  Then one had asked her about joining the group, she had, in her fear, denied.  But as soon as the men had left she had started to regret her decision to turn them down.  So she waited for a month until she returned, and asked to join.

The man nodded silently at Elliot's question about if she could join the guild. "Come with us," he said softly, and Elliot's eyes widened, already wishing she hadn't asked.  These men were going to take her away?  To who knows where?  She couldn't-! She stopped herself.  This was her only chance, her only chance to be accepted, to be appreciated.  So she quickly packed a small bag and followed the men from her small house and into the dark of the night.

They had led her through dark streets and alleyways, through a labyrinth of building that made Elliot sure she wouldn't be able to find her way back to her house on her own.  They came to a building, and the men had used a secret code that Elliot hadn't been able to hear to get inside.  The door had opened silently, and by magic, and then they had walked down a stone corridor, lit only by a few torches on the walls, until they had come to a large wooden door.  One of the men  knocked, the door was opened by another man.  He was quite a sight, he looked half-dead, but Elliot was not surprised, this was Dark Magic.  The men had spoken to each other in quiet voices, then the gaunt man had turned to Elliot, leering at her in the most unpleasant of ways.  "What's your name?" he asked.

"E-Elliot, Elliot Seerkin," the girl said, her face pale.

"And what are you good at?" he asked, still looking at her, unblinkingly.

"P-potion-making," she answered, the words sticking in her throat. "And some other Dark Magics."

The man had stared at her a long moment before turning around and walking off, closing the door behind him, after telling them to wait.

A few minutes later the gaunt man returned.  He dismissed the two men who had led Elliot here and told the girl to follow him.  Elliot was quite afraid now, as he led her through more and more long torchlit corridors.  Then they came to another door, which the gaunt man opened and let her into another room.  He motioned to a chair, where Elliot sat down stiffly.

"Wait here," the gaunt man said. "Drake will see you in a moment."

Then he left, closing the door behind him, leaving Elliot alone in the room.  She could hear her heart beating against her chest, trying to force it's way out.  She swore that she was going to fain, but she did not.  Why, oh why had she agreed to come here?  She should have stayed in her house, where she was safe from all of the dangerous and scary people in the world.  And who was this Drake?  The leader of this group?

Her heart skipped a beat as she heard a footstep outside of the door.  She saw the handle turn, and the door silently opened, revealing a man standing in the doorway.  He had black hair and yellow eyes.  Elliot knew she should stant, but she felt er knees would collapse under her if she tried.  She tried to speak, but no words would come.

She was terrified.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Drake stood there in the doorway for a long moment, just looking her over with a pensive expression on his features, yellow eyes gazing at her with an unnerving intensity. His red robe covered his slim figure and he carried with him a crimson-colored staff with black runes etched all along the surface of it, a red crystal on the very top of it which glittered in an eerie light. The newcomer's dark blue robe-like dress had a hood which covered her hair, the hints of raven locks could be seen poking out from within the folds of it. Drake noted the tip of a dagger concealed in the sleeve of her robe, but only looked at it for a split second, barely noticeable. Dark brown eyes stared out at him from a heart-shaped face full of terror and she seemed to be shaking slightly.

Drake seemed to come to some sort of conclusion in his head and he nodded then, before addressing the woman, or rather young girl. "So you wish to join our ranks, yes?"

The light cast from a nearby torch made shadows dance across his face then, making his eyes stand out even more in their feral-looking yellow hue. Drake simply gripped his staff firmly in hand, still staring at her as he awaited a response.

JackieCat

Elliot's heart was beating like a drum, and she could have sworn that the man could hear it battering at her ribcage as he stepped into the room and studied her.  When he asked his question she bit her lip, thinking.  She should leave, she should run away now, but this was the only chance she might get.  The only chance.

"I-I do," she said.  "I would like to join, sir," she added the sir because this man radiated power and control, and it seemed that she should.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

The guild leader could in fact, hear her heartbeat thudding a loud rhythm but he said nothing on it, only smiled to himself in a creepy way. "Very well." he said, looking her straight in the eye. "You understand the requirements for joining, I presume? It will not be easy."

Of course, this was only a little white lie just to test her reaction. The first task would very much be simple enough, but it didn't hurt to manipulate her just a tad into believing otherwise. If she couldn't handle this job, she was not fit to join. And that was that.

Folding his arms over his chest, while leaning his staff near the wall he stood in front of, Drake merely waited for an answer, eyes unblinking, staring right through her as though he could see inside her very soul.

JackieCat

"I do not know the requirements," Elliot said, forcing herself to look up and hold his gaze. "I know very little about your organization, sir, but I would like to learn more."

She hoped he would not kick her out for simply not knowing, she hoped he would tell her, and end up not being as creepy as he seemed to be now.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"As I'm sure you are already aware, this is an organization for dark magics as well as for any magic-user who practices their art in a non-orthodox fashion. Necromancy, demon summoning, soul-binding, curses and the like." Drake continued to stare at her unnervingly, before breaking his gaze for just a moment to listen to a sound only he seemed to hear.

''Your first task is simply a fetch and retrieve quest, nothing more, nothing less. Are you ready to hear what I will be asking you to do?"

And Drake hoped she would be, and was not simply wasting his time. Or he might have to resort to....rather drastic measures instead.

JackieCat

Elliot wanted to agree right-out, wanted to be apart of this, and at the same time she wanted to leave.  Leave very badly, so she took it slow.

"W-well, can I know what you want me to do before I a-agree to do it?" she asked, looking down at her hands, no longer able to hold his stare.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"I want you to retrieve a book for me from a merchant who goes by the name of Scarecrow. It should not be difficult to recognize him being as he only has one eye and a large scar running down his entire face. He also tends to wear only gray clothing."

Drake paused here, scratching his chin. "The book is part 3 of 'The Chronicles of the Fire King.' I have the first two and require the last in the series."

He then looked at her with his intense yellow eyes, asking, "Are you aware of the tales of this Fire King?" It should be amusing to hear her answer, he thought to himself.

JackieCat

Elliot listened as he told her what he would have her do, and when he asked if she knew of the Fire King, she looked up at him, only to quickly look down again at his piercing gaze.

"I-I do recall the name," she said. "And I believe I one knew more about the subject, but I have forgotten."  It was true, when her mentor had been alive, she had known somewhat about the Fire King, but when he had died and she had had to start making a living of her own, she had forgotten about the books.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Drake rose an eyebrow at her answer, but continued nonetheless.

"The Fire King was a man who wielded great power over the fire element, so much so he was considered a god, having razed many a nation and city to the ground centuries ago. He was eventually brought down by a mighty red dragon, a great wyrm named Crimson Rage, Terror of the South when he inadvertently took refuge inside the dragon's cave to retreat from a band of Mordecai who had been after him. Crimson Rage and the Fire King fought a fierce battle, but the wyrm ultimately won after many trying hours of combat. Instead of being eaten by the red dragon, the Fire King's body crumbled into ash and rose up high into the sky where it eventually became a star that shines even to this day. His real name has all but been forgotten."

Drake eyed her again, thoughtful. "It is a tale many would know, and that many more would rather forget. But a fascinating one, regardless. That is the job I assign to you to become a member of my guild. Bring me this book back and we'll talk further. I will even be so generous as to provide the coin required to buy it and no more than that."

JackieCat

"'And though he was not a god, he was as greedy as some, and though fire he held in his hand was the fuel for his greed, it was his heart and soul that had produced the spark'," Elliot said softly, quoting the first book as she remembered the tale in full.  Then she looked back up at the man. "I will get the book," she said, standing up. "Just tell me where I must go."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"Excellent." Drake was most pleased by this. "The merchant I told you of is located northeast of the guild, near the statue of the titan Chronos. I believe that that is sufficient information for now."

What Drake didn't tell her was that a gang of bandits had recently set up a blockade there, demanding payment for all who would cross their territory. The payment requested by these cut-throats tended to vary by the whims of their leader, Black Eye, so it could be anywhere from a single gold coin all the way to ten gold. Drake however could bypass them with no trouble at all by his sheer presence and power alone he wielded. Black Eye wasn't so foolish as to mess with Drake or the guild he led. The man did have some smarts about him, Drake mused silently. It would be interesting to see how this Elliot Seerkin deals with their group. And if she couldn't handle eleven thugs then she was not fit to join the Dark Wielders. He didn't care what happened to her if she couldn't.

"Here is the five gold that is required to buy this book. Bring it back with no problem and I will consider this a good start for your membership into the guild." He said, handing her a small beige sack with the aforementioned gold in it.

The door opened then and Brogue the half-demon poked his head in. He grinned a toothy grin when he saw Elliot sitting there. "Doing errands are we? Don't get lost." Brogue quipped up by way of a joke.

"Yes, what is it Brogue?" Drake asked calmly, looking in the horned man's direction.

"Just coming to check on our little hatchling to see how she fares." Brogue answered, still giving her a leery grin. "Oh, and I meant to give you this." Walking in further, he handed Drake a small pouch full of something and Drake nodded then. "That will be all then, Brogue."

"It is a pleasure." The half-demon swooped down in an exaggerated bow while still looking at Elliot unnervingly. "Have fun doing whatever task Drake set for you. Don't let the street thugs bite." And with that, he left closing the door behind him, just as Drake shot him a warning look his direction.

"Go, and do what I ask now. There is nothing more to say at this time." Then Drake too left, leaving Elliot alone in the dim, torch-lit room.

JackieCat

Elliot nodded at his instructions and she took the gold, standing.  She jumped when the demon-creature came into the room, and did not take her eyes away from it until it left.

Then the other man left and she was alone in the room.  For a moment, she was terrified, she didn't know her way out of here!  But then she shook herself, she could get out.  She knew she could.  She closed her eyes and whispered a word.  All of the footprints that had been made in the last half-hour appeared on the floor.

She stepped out of the room and spotted the footprints of the man who had initially brought her to the room.  It took her a while, but eventually she got to the door, and went out onto the street.

She walked towards the statue, tucking the money pouch into her belt as she went.  After walking for ten minutes the statue was in sight.

She was nearly there when she saw shapes in the shadows.  She stopped, and soon they had her surrounded.  There were more than twenty of them.

"Well, hello there," a voice said, and a man stepped into view. "Aren't you a pretty little thing."

"What do you want?" Elliot said, the fear apparent in her voice. "Please, don't hurt me!"

"Oh, we won't hurt you, unless you don't do what we ask."

"W-what is that?"

"Ten gold," the man said, his eyes glinting. "Ten gold for your life, love."

Elliot shivered despite herself.  She had ten gold with her, but five was to buy the book with, she couldn't just hand it over.  Every pore was screaming at her to give the man the money as she reached into a pouch.

The men assumed she was reaching for money, but then her hand shot up into the air and a fine dust flew up into the air and fell all over the men.

"None of your tricks!" the man yelled, and they all leaped forward, but the dust had hit the ground, and suddenly, all of the men were stuck to the ground.  The spell was weak, and they started to break away, but Elliot ran.

They gave chase, and they cornered her with her back up to the base of the statue. "You witch!" the bandit leader growled. "You'll regret that!"

He started to stalk forward, and Elliot started whispering under her breath.  The man drew closer.  And closer.  Then Elliot pulled a small stone from a pouch and dropped it on the ground in front of her.  The man was nearly to her.  She yelled the last word.

"Eccentus!" she cried, and a magical blast shot out, pushing all of the men back.  Most fell, and some hit their heads on the hard stone, immediately unconscious, but there were still five still conscious, and with murder in their eyes.

"Incendio de Ardor!" she yelled and fire rained down onto the bandits.  Three fled immediately, and the last two, seeing their companions had left them, followed suit.

Elliot collapsed backwards, leaning against the statue and sinking to the street, breathing heavily.  The blasting spell had been powerful, and it had greatly sapped her strength.

When she had enough energy, she got to her feet. "Hello?" she called softly into the night. "Is anyone by the name of Scarecrow here?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Unknown to her, a figure in a white robe with long white hair and green eyes was standing in the shadows, a ways back from where the spectacle had taken place. Watching the scene with cruel and unforgiving eyes, he soon disappeared making his way back to the guild HQ.

Luke Cold-Death had been sent by Drake to follow Elliot to see how she did, not out of any sense of care or concern, but simply to test her merit. He had to admit she had done well, but he was not one to give any kind of praise especially not to whelps like her. She may have defeated the bandits temporarily, but she was still a weak little girl. If it were up to Luke, he would not have someone like her join the guild, as he still wasn't convinced of her usefulness or where exactly her moral compass pointed. But it was not up to him, so he merely did what Drake had asked him to without much comment. Whether she would survive the trials ahead or have the stomach for it remained to be seen.

Up ahead, a thin and heavily scarred man with an eye patch over one eye wearing gray tunic and pants came out around a corner then, clapping. His teeth were brownish and he looked very much like another street thug. However, he called out to her in a croaking, sneering kind of voice, "I be Scarecrow, black market merchant...dealer and repository of fine.....goods."

He chuckled and ran his tongue over his teeth then. "I must say I am impressed by your...skills. Ye don't see too many dark mages your age around here. Ye certainly gave them a...push....in the right direction." He laughed at his own joke. It sounded almost like cackling, but not quite.

"I would say ye'd best watch yer back around these parts from now on, eh? Black Eye doesn't take kindly to embarrassments like the one you just displayed."

JackieCat

Elliot did not flinch at the sight of the man, but he did disgust her.  She nodded to him at his warning. 

"I will be careful," she said in a firm voice. "But now, I need something from you, a book.  The third part of 'The Chronicles of the Fire King'.  Do you have this tome?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"I might." Scarecrow answered, looking her up and down. "It be five gold though, dearie." Clucking his tongue between his teeth, he held out his hand for the money. Then he would give her the book she desired.

Drake listened to the account that Luke gave to him.

"Good." he nodded towards the necromancer/frost mage. "That is all for now."

Dismissing him, he turned back to his desk and finished his work on inscribing a magic scroll. Once done, he laid it out flat to let dry thoroughly. Perhaps the girl does have what it takes. We shall see as time goes on. he thought to himself.

JackieCat

Elliot dug into her pouch and pulled out the desired five gold pieces, but she only handed him three.  She knew she was possibly getting herself into a bad situation, this Scarecrow fellow was indeed terrifying, but she retained the two pieces.

"Give me the book and I'll give you the rest," she said, keeping the waver out of her voice as best she could and forcing herself to look the man straight in his uninjured eye.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Narrowing his one good eye and frowning, the man took the money given. For just a moment in time it looked as though he might strike her in retaliation, but a split-second later he lowered his hand and began chuckling, which quickly turned into an all-out laugh.

Scarecrow laughed some more, before he finally calmed down and looked her straight in the eyes. "Trying to be tough, eh?" he chuckled some more. "I like that. Who knows, ye may just survive here."

Going over to the stand where he kept his stock, he pulled out a large tome with a dark red spine and equally dark red covers, the title on the front engraved in gold script which clearly read "The Chronicles of the Fire King, Part 3", and handed it to her but not before pulling it back from her a couple times as though playing a game with her all the same. Then he held his hand out again, his one eye staring unblinkingly at her, awaiting the rest of his coin.

JackieCat

Elliot winced as the man raised a hand, but stared at him, gritting her teeth, as he lowered it and spoke.

"Not trying to be tough," she said, pushing down the fear that was clawing it's way up her throat. "Being tough.  It does not matter what I feel inside, but what my actions are."

As soon as she finished speaking she felt as though her insides melted with fear, but she took the offered book, despite the man's game, and handed him the rest of the money.  She wanted to run away from here as fast as she could, but she stayed where she was, waiting for the man to turn away first.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor