Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Truths are not always what they seem

Started by Parkway, September 24, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

(@Lion)

Fivan pushed the thin cover off and walked toward the window.  The nightmare still fresh in her mind prohibited any further rest.  The sun was not quite up as she gazed out the dirty plane of glass, her delicate hand cleaning enough of a spot to look out onto the ally. Sighing she walks over to the small table and rummages through her satchel for her journal.  She looked for the matches and worried the wick and once satisfied she checked her charcoal.  holding it under the flame to soften the tip for writing.  The soft glow of the oil lamp giving her just enough light to record what she could remember of the nightmare. 

As she writes her mind drifts wondering what these nightmares mean, she knows they must be related to her parents and Nana, she just cannot make the connections, her frustration over them grow!  Restless she closes the book and stores her materials.  It is just so cold here!  Damn why did she take this errand.  Ahhhh well the coin was good.  She pats the silver and gold pieces in her pouch.  It was easy really almost too easy.  All she had to do was deliver a small package to the very innkeeper where she was staying.  Whom paid her and let her stay the night free!  Free!!!  But now she had a long way back to warmer climate.  Which she preferred.

Stretching and putting the coin pouch away she decides to get an early start.  After washing up she heads out before the other residence stir, wanting to cover as much ground as she can.  Fivan nods at the lone bar maid on her way out the door.

She quickly walks through the small village streets trying to weave her way toward her destination.  Watching the sun rise over the sparse buildings fills her heart with hope that the new day often brings, she smiles and unbeknownst to her triggers a merchant to smile in reaction.

Fivan stops at a market center for a tea and biscuit from a the cart vendor.  She doesn't even realize how he admires her beauty.  She takes no notice her mind is focused on one thing making it to Warm ground.  She pulls her coin purse out and pays for her meager meal.  As puts her coin purse away she hears a mans voice.

Excuse me Miss?  Miss?  You droped something!  She stops and looks in the direction of the voice, "Thank you" she says as she reaches towrad the strangers extended hand.

The man hands over a woolen scarf, "It is very pretty, er, Miss..." but her doesn't quite release it.

She lowers her head, not wanting the eye contact, "Yes, thank you, Sir." As she realizes he is not letting go.  She struggles to balance her cup of tea.

"Don't you want to tell me your name?" He holds his grasp on the garment.

She hesitates a moment, "Fivan, my name is Fivan, please may I have my scarf back?"

He releases the garment. "Beautiful name for a beautiful woman.  It means rain forest, no?"

Blushing, "Y-yes, yes it does, thank you again" she stammers.  "But, I need to hurry sir, I am sorry.". She tucks the scarf back in her satchel and hurries away.

The man sighs and heads off.

Once she feels she is a safe distance away she cuts across the street and rounds a building, angry with herself when will she get over this damn shyness around strangers!

Shaking her head she pulls her map tonight she will need to camp and she wanted to get to the general good store for a few provisions before leaving the small hamlet.

JackieCat

Healin walked down the streets of the town, a thick woolen cloak fasted tightly around their shoulders with the hood drawn up.  A scarf was wrapped around their head, leaving only the storm-grey eyes visible.  Healin was in this town on important business, and they needed what they came here for within the next few days, or the consequences could be great.

Their boots crunched in the snow and they saw an elven woman rushing through the streets.  She seemed nervous, and in a great hurry.  Healin walked up to her.

"Excuse me," they said, their voice indistinguishable as male or female. "You seem to be in a hurry, so pardon me for asking, but have you any candle wax with you that I may have, or buy?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Healin doesn't have a character bio yet.  I'll get one up when I have the chance, but I think all your character needs to know for the moment is what's in this post. :))
  IGNORE THIS (I'll ask Rhi-Rhi to remove it!  @Rhi-Rhi could you remove this please?
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Lion

Could the tundra be any more fucking freezing?  And could it be any further from real civilization?  But that was probably why Reneth liked it.  The cold could be dealt with.  He wasn't completely unacclimated to the cold.  Connlaothian winters were never completely tranquil and pleasant, and the snow here provided more peace than that place ever did.

He smiled at that thought.  Perhaps here he might find that solitude at last.  And that smile faded slowly at the thought of his task.

He'd remembered what Tasker had said.  No matter what he did, where he went, who he killed, he wouldn't get away.  Not until the debt was paid.  If it was money, that would be another matter.  But it was not, a blood debt could only be repaid in blood.

The target this time was a young woman.  A young elven woman.  He'd been given only a brief description, and no further details as to what she was doing in a location so remote.  Perhaps she was like him, and had her own reasons for being here.

But that didn't matter, he told himself.  It didn't matter one iota.

Reneth had pulled on his parka, and hood, bundling himself in the furs he'd collected.  He wandered out into the snow, betweent he small smoke shacks and the few larger buildings that managed to be built.  A figure emerged from one of them, one fitting the description of the woman he was supposed to make contact with.

He tailed her, stalking casually along, and keeping his face hidden beneath his hood.  It was too cold after all to leave any excess skin revealed.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Her cloak was thick and provided a good barrier from the cold but she still pulled it closer and shivered.  The store wasn't too much further ahead.  She tried to keep her eyes averted from the few people she passed.  Her gloved hand reached for the shop door and she had to tug on it due to the ice forming.   Giving it a few good tugs the door released for her.

Stepping inside the warmth surrounded her and she gave a sigh.  "Excuse me?"  She called out looking for the shopkeeper. 

"Yes, may I help you?"  Came a voice from the back.

"Oh hi, I was hoping to get a few supplies.  Maybe you could tell me if you have some soap, dried fruit, and what type of healing potions you may have?"

The shop keeper tended to her the best he could and they exchanged the gold for the product.  She bundled back up and left from the same door in which she had entered from.  She stood for a moment at the door and then headed towards the direction out of town.

She noticed no one following her at this time.  The main street was picking up more residents waking and starting their day.  She nodded to a few as she passed as they nodded.  Soon she was leaving the town and headed into the tundra. 

Alone.  Always alone.  She closed her eyes trying to shake the feelings that would crowd in her mind.  The problem she thought with always being alone is that it leaves you too much time to think.  She ambled further and further from the town.  The cobble path covered in patches of ice and snow.

Lion

Where was she going?  Off into the wilderness to get eaten or something?  Reneth was curious and he tailed her from a distance.  She wouldn't get far, he was determined.

Soon, though, she would know she wasn't as alone as she seemed.  Reneth would give her distance, following her between trees and remaining out of sight.  The sky would not remain light for long.  Day never lasted long this far north.  Reneth would wait until she made camp, or was asleep.

It always made the task easier.  He wouldn't have to look into their eyes.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Fivan continued to walk the trial as best she could.  Letting go of the past for her was hard.  But she willed herself to not let herself linger on the bitter memories.  It helped when she would sing.  So she did.

It wasn't a common song but it was one she loved.  Her voice echoed along the empty road.  It made her quicken her step.  As she sang a smile came to her lips and it reflected in her voice.  If nothing else she had her music.

Thee daylight would not last this much she knew.  But where to camp?  She quieted to a hum now as she pondered how much more light she had and where she would want to camp? 

---- Time shift.........Later that day just before sunset.

Fivan found the best spot she could.  Fire!  Didn't look to promising until she passed a fallen carnifus tree and as such had some wood source.  "I'll think this spot will do."  She said aloud to no one really.  She did not have fire magic.  In fact she only knew Ice magic.  So she set herself to rubbing two sticks together.  It was an arduous task.  But the gods smiled upon her and offered them a pray of thanks.

She set up a small tent once the fire was going.  Next a small cast iron pot was produced and she scooped some snow and let it melt adding more snow until the pot was full.  She added some tea leaves to the water and let it simmer.  She pulled the pot off the flame and set it next to her.  The fire felt nice.  She pulled out a book and leaned over to soften her charcoal.  She began to write in the journal.  She did this as much as she could. 

Lion

He couldn't very well follow her forever.  Reneth could feel himself starting to succumb to the cold, and when she stopped to make camp, his hiding in the shadows had turned to huddling...  He couldn't very well just spring on her.

That...never really worked.  If he did, he could just as likely be skewered as she.  No, he didn't want to die like that.  If anything, he'd rather the cold kill him.

Oh, stop that! he scolded himself. You're being silly. Just approach her...

It was a foolish notion, but it could possibly work.  Reneth walked in, slowly...  And stood as a dimly lit stranger beside her fire.  "May I?" he asked, holding his coat together with his arms.  "May I join you?  I saw your fire and I've been walking in this cold for a long while now.  It's freezing out and it's too late now to go to town."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

To say Fivan was startled would be an understatement!  She jumped almost knocking her tea over.  Her journal showing a darkened line running down the page. 

She stared at him wide eyed but all this happened in mere seconds.  Trying to find her voice she began to nod yes as she righted herself.  "Y-y-yes.  Please warm yourself."  She got to her knees and dusted the snow from her journal.  Carefully wrapping her charcoal piece up and tucking it into the folds of the book.

"Sorry, I never thought someone else would be brave enough to camp out here.  I will share what I have, please come closer and get warmed.  Care for a warm drink?"  She only had the one pot but she would gladly share its contents. 

Lion

Reneth found himself smiling, a natural reaction, because honestly he'd been expecting her to reject him.  Which he thought would be fairly normal, in these untamed parts.  An odd term considering he was sure the natives thought this place plenty tamed.  He slowly approached and took a seat next to her right.

He pulled off his gloves to warm them by the fire and pulled his hood a little.  His head was cold considering, but it was nice to feel the warmth of a real fire side.

"Oh, please, thank you," he said, "Something hot to drink would be nice."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Although her smile was warm and inviting the natural shyness which affects her made all her actions a bit jerky and her face was a bright red.  Not from the fire.

"Uh here please share, it is tea."  She pushed the little pot over to him. 

Clearing her throat she tried to speak but kept turning away from his gaze.  The journal laying next to her forgotten.  She took a deep breath.  Pushing through her shyness she took the plunge,  "My names Fivan.  I am headed to La'marri Island and you?"

Lion

Reneth took the tea gladly, thankful for the moment if the gift ks hospitality.  The tea was hot, but he welcomed the scorch of its trace and everything else that came with it because it was a welcome contrast to the cold.

"Thank you.  It's lovely," he said and huddled in as close to the fire as he could.  Reneth blinked when she gave her name.  Introductions, right.  "Reneth," he said, extending a hand.

"You're...trying to get to La'marri?  From here?  You're quite far from it, my friend," he said with a soft chuckle.  "You know La'marri isn't an island.  I've been there.  It's a village.  A very nice one at that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She blushed.  No she didn't know that.  In fact all the stories she heard in fact had it as an island.  "No, I didn't know that."  She mumbled.

"I've never been yet.  Oh you have."  Her eyes lite up.  "A village.  This is news to me!  I know I am far from it right now but I had a small package to deliver for a noble whom paid...."  She stopped and realized what she said.  he could be a thief or worse.  "Uh, but yeah La'marri.  far from here."

Lion

[Did you mean the Yoreiqi Isles? Or does Fivan just not know La'marri is a village?]

Reneth chuckled.  "It's a lot warmer than here, that's for sure."  He drank more tea, sipping it slowly to savor the flavor.

"I like it.  Where did you get this tea, if I may ask?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

(No she is just misinformed right now.  She means La'marri village she just doesn't realize it isn't an island onto itself....yet)

"Thank you, the tea is infused with clove and honey it is a homemade concoction.  My Nana taught me."

She looked up at the man but quickly looked away.  "Water is nice.  I cannot wait for that but there is something to be said for this snow and ice.  That is if you had a home to shield you.  Do you have a tent?  What about a bedroll?  So what brought you this way?"

She rattled off questions a thing she did when nervous.

Lion

She wasn't the only one with nerves.  He just gave a small smile though and sipped quietly for a time.

"I haven't got anything, I'm afraid.  I'm just happy you welomed me to your fireside.  This place feels lonelier than it is.  There are people.  They just aren't always to be found," he said.

He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out a cloth map.  It was sparsely detailed.  "I came here looking for a special flow I've heard only grows in the tundra.  Its called Asha's Tears, said to be a cure for just about any ailment.  Of course that's what they say.  But I would like to discover more about it.  I'm an apothecary.  I like herbs and learning more about them."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fivan's eyes lit up.  She know herbs!  Certain minerals for mix potions and brew.  "Reneth"  She pronounced his name and smiled.  "I've never heard of this substance."  She looked quickly at his map but looked back up.  "I am no master but know some mixes and dabble a bit."

She added some more sticks of various sizes to the flames and then looked at him.  "Hungry?  I have some rabbit, are you up for eating meat?"

Lion

"Oh, yes, please!"  He hadn't realized how hungry he was.  And didn't want to presume that she would share all her food with him.  He moved closer and smiled.

"Rabbit sounds lovely.  Thank you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

"Wonderful!  We dine then!"  She beamed as she took a rolled hide off of the side of her satchel.  She unrolled the hide inside were carefully cleaned carcass of a rabbit.  The snow she had stuffed around it was a little frozen to it but nothing the fire wouldn't melt quickly enough. 

She looked in her stick pile and pulled out a thicker looking one and poked it through the body next she skewered the legs.  She set it to roast.  Sitting cross-legged by the fire to tend the meal.

"I hope to make my way to that island... err... village. Sorry" She shrugged.   "I know some magic but my Nana use to tell me I had a gift.  What gift this she never said?  But she did tell me that one day she was going to take me to the island of magic so I can only think she meant La'marri right?"  She questioned him.  It was as if she was feeling a bit more open towards her company.  It was after all nice to have someone to talk to.

Lion

Reneth felt his stomach growling with hunger, not realizing how little he'd eaten earlier in the day.  Out here you needed to have your fill and then some, the cold had no mercy for the careless. 

He smelled the rabbit roasting, and looked at her as she spoke.  "Your Nana meant a lot to you, didn't she?  I can see in your eye she did," he said, smiling a little.  He had no real family of his own, and the only woman he'd know that came close enough was somewhere far away.  "I never knew my Nana, or my mother."

He was surprised something so intimate came out in front of a total stranger, but it was all he could think to say.  "I didn't have anyone except the woman that taught me all I know of herbs and plants.  She wasn't very motherly."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

"Oh"  Fivan exclaimed.  "I am sorry to hear that."  She looked down at the rabbit and fiddled with it some.  "My Nana was all I had left in to world.  My parents unfortunately were taken from me before I was old enough to remember them." 

She shifted a little.  "I loved my Nana very much.  She too was taken from me so I find myself alone now."  Then she smiled looked at Reneth and back down again.  "But, not this moment.  Tonight I dine with a new friends." 

She tested the meat it was almost ready.  "Um,  you know...um...I don't know if you want...but idf you did...I am guessing we could travel together a ways until we aren't going the same direction?  You know if ya wanted to?"