Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Truths are not always what they seem

Started by Parkway, September 24, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

To dining with new friends.

It was a curious and compelling phrase.

"Perhaps we are.  It would be nice to have the company," he said, smiling at her and when the rabbit was ready, he took a small tender piece in hand, carefully peeling at it and eating it slowly.  "Did you snare this rabbit yourself?  Do you hunt in your spare time?  I am a decent apothecary, but I'm afraid I don't have much aptitude for hunting."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

"I am!  I was always good at tracking.  But I will not waste!  I use everything."  She took a piece of the rabbit and nibbled away. 

"Well with me at least you won't starve."  She giggled.

"I only have the one tent. Do you have one? I'll try to keep the fire lit too.  Maybe we can take turns?  Do a few watches and share the tent then that way?"

She took another piece.  "Here is my map." With her clean hand she pulled out her map and handed it to him.  "Which way are you going?"

Lion

There was a relief in that admission.  Reneth indeed was not a hunter.  He could make small traps to capture small game, with poison that would kill the creature without tainting the meat.  He tried to do little of this as possible, but he had to eat, and such was why he would rather find meals and beds to sleep in in taverns.

"You are a blessing indeed.  I'll take my fortune where I can get it!" Reneth said, laughing.  And forgetting for the moment that yes...this was the woman whose live he was supposed to take.  He ducked his head, taking his time in savoring the meal for as long as he could.

"Ah, no...I'm afraid I little more than what I carried on my back," he said, clearing his throat.  Eyes flicked to her.  He examined her map, leaning over her map.  And compared it to his own, laying it out beside hers.  His hands trailed down to the next settlement.

"I am following this southern trail, down to the next settlement.  A long walk indeed, for one so ill-prepared.  I...suppose it isn't too much to ask to share a tent, is it?  I don't mean to be presumptuous.  Oh gods, perhaps I shouldn't have asked."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

She had to laugh.  It was a sweet sound. 

"Reneth.  I offered my tent.  You silly nut!  Maybe it was I who should not be so forward.  Now what must you think of me!"  Fivan could not help but continue to laugh.

"Besides it is so cold here what kind of friend would I be if I slept in a tent and left you outside?  It is fit for two.  So it is settled and as my friend you must call me Fi!"  She pulled another piece off and chewed away once she swallowed she continued.  "Oh one thing though...  I snore."  She wrinkled her nose at him and laughed again.

It felt great talking with someone.  It felt nice to have a friend.  She was thanking the gods for sending him to her.

Lion

"Fi it is!" Reneth said, turning red in embarrassment.  He gave a nervous laugh regardless.  "Thank you, friend.  I was lucky to have found you."

His smile faded a little, and he just about finished his meal, piling what bones he had chewed on.  "So what kind of things do you make from these bones?  You said you use everything.  That is commendable.  Melting the fat on an animal and grinding bones down to meal are good for some tonics."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She kept her smile and didn't notice his embarrassment.  "Maybe luck is on our side this evening." 

Fi had her pile of bones next to her legs.  The journal she had been writing in was near the tent.  She was orderly.  Like the hide the rabbit had been wrapped in she was now holding over the flames to dry off the moisture from the snow she used to wipe it down.

"Yes, the fat is a great base for soaps and things as well.  But the bones I use for many different things."  She thought for a moment of the uses of what some may consider to tedious to bother with before continuing.  "Instead of just telling you I will show you."  She went to her satchel and dug a bit pulling out some polished utensils.

"Here see this." She handed him a small dagger.  "That is from bone.  And so it this."  She handed him another item used for stirring.  "This too, I make all sorts of arrowheads from bone."  She handed him the items.  "I also make nonsense things too, like necklaces and things."  She held her smile as she showed her things to him.  She was proud of her novice like talent.

Lion

Reneth smiled in fascination.  In the midst of conversation, he'd almost forgotten how cold he was, and he was content to just listen to her.  To actually see what she'd made from her hunts with her own bare hands was quite a feat.  All he'd ever done with his own was make poultices, potions, and poison.

These were constructive tools, useful.  With purpose.  Or would soon be given purpose.

"These are quite amazing," he said, coughing from the cold.  "And you make all these yourself?  Wow."  He turned the knife over in hand and handed them both over.  "I wouldn't consider a necklace nonsense.  Flibbery-bigbash-magash.  That's nonsense, not a necklace.  I'm sure they look lovely."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She beamed at him and laughed when he did the gibberish.  "Thank you."  She blushed and let her long hair cover her face.  "Here take this."  She handed him one of the daggers.  "I want you to have it."

His cough had her look up at she looked at him for the first time actually saw him.  His eyes were or appeared to be gray and they were surrounded by reddish colored brows which one was pierced.  She studied him for what seemed a long time but was only a few seconds really before looking down.  "Your cough?  Need more tea?  Or would you like to get warm in the tent?"  She looked a little concerned.  "Maybe a good night's rest will help restore your energy?"

Lion

Reneth grabbed his throat as if he was choking, but quickly shook his head.  "N-no,  I'm okay.  It's just the cold."  He laughed, white puffs of air billowing outward.  He smiled and held the knife gingerly in hand.  It was small and finely made.  His own hands would have proved crude and unsteady.

He felt strange taking something from her.  But it would have been even worse to refuse the gift.  "I think I'll lie down.  I can't thank you enough for sharing your hospitality with me."  He tucked the knife away, and he moved toward the tent, slipping within, and shedding his jacket.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Worrying her lip Fi nodded.  "Okay I'm staying up for a little bit.  May Ekaotc guide your dreams friend."  She picked up her journal and added a few sticks to the dying ambers.  Poking it some until she was satisfied with the flames she then plopped back and sat on a breaded cloth for some protection from the snow.

She added more snow to the little pot and some leaves.  Adding more snow as needed then allowing the water to boil before adding the leaves.  The scent of peppermint wafted out of the pot.  Fi pulled the brew and set it down next to her as she once again heated her piece of charcoal. 

She sipped and then picked up the journal and began to write in the book.  She recorded their meeting and she described the way he looked.  It was an innocent inscription of one whom thought they met a kindred soul for a little company on a long trip.

Lion

Reneth did not lie down immediately.  He removed some of the layers of clothes, shaking out the snow flakes and bundling the jacket underneath his head.  He examined his wares, checking the vials that resided in his belt...  And the stiletto strapped to his wrist on the inside.

He frowned, wondering if he would have to use it....  What if he....  No, they would know.  They always knew.  He took one of the vials from his coat, watching the flap before removing the stiletto.  He uncorked the vial and dipped the tip within,  then turned the blade, and let the liquid drip down toward the hilt, drying...

He put them away, and turned toward the wall of the tent. Closing his eyes, and hoping for sleep...hoping for all of this to be over.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She closed the journal and tucked it into her satchel.  Which she stored right near the tent entrance.  Next she added a few more remaining sticks letting the fire lick them.  She piled the snow high around it creating a barrier of sorts.  When it melted some she added more until the temperature was right and no more needed to be added.  Hopefully the ambers would still be active when they woke to break their fast. 

She removed her outer cloak, grabbed her satchel and hurried into the tent.  Reneth appeared to be sleeping.  She smiled and adjusted herself on the bedroll.  Using her cloak as a pillow of sorts and placing the satchel by her side in-between them.   Sleep found her quickly enough.

Lion

Where sleep found her, Reneth was wide awake.  He'd been able to keep his breathing even enough to imitate sleep, although his eyes focused on the shifting fabric of the tent.  Reneth turned a little, when she started to doze off.  He listened to her breathing.  And when it evened out, he pulled the stiletto quietly from his wrist sheath.

And twisted just enough to seem as if they were to spoon.

Reneth felt his heart stop.  He couldn't.  He couldn't keep doing this.  Still, he held his blade close to his own heart.  He couldn't think, a single distraction, a single instance of pause and he was done for.

Reneth waited a moment still, listening to the softness of her breath and saw her back.  Could he?  Right in her lungs.  She wouldn't even be able to scream.  It would be quick.  Not quite painless, but quick.  Perhaps her throat?  Reneth stilled and slowly sat up until he was leaning on one arm, looming over her, stiletto still clutched against his chest.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She was running again.  The shadow was closing in.  She ran and kept running.  Her sleeping form began to twitch.  At first it was slight but became increasingly distressed until she began to talk.  It was subtle.  He may not have heard it right away but soon her distress grew.

Still asleep..."No!  Nooooo!  NO!!!  Nana!  Where!  Ouch...you're hurting me.....Nana!!!!"  She began to toss.  Tears flowing freely.  Every so often she would whimper and cry out. 

Her dream was a mixture of her horrible night.  The one when her beloved grandmother was killed.  Along with many others that night.  She was sweating and her speech became gibberish.  She was fighting her inner demons of the night.  Fighting to free herself.  To see the light.  She was very distressed this evening as she cried out "You I see your eyes!  Nooooo!"  Then she went silent of speech just her breathing and softly falling tears were left.

Lion

Reneth stilled when he saw her dream.  Dreams that readily turned into nightmares.  He slowly put the stiletto away, dropping his sleeve and lying back beside her.  "Fivan," he murmured, gently shaking her.  "Fivan.  You're dreaming!  Wake up!"

He turned onto his knees and looked down at her, concerned. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Her arms flailed and she gave one last attempt to free herself from the shadows that chased rnd.  This flailing subsided.

The voice was unfamiliar but not unkind.  She began to paw at her face almost as if to remove something before she came awake with a jolt.  She sat straight up and for a few seconds had to gather herself.

It all came back...she looked at Reneth and tried to calm her breathing.  Swallowing her fears she shakily said, "Sorry I woke you.  I...I...guess just a bad dream."  She wasn't sure if she had just been restless or if she cried out again.  But she was embarrassed and was sure he would think something was wrong with her.

Lion

"You were having a terrible nightmare!" He sat down beside her, eyes concerned.  "You sounded like you were being chased."  Slowly he reached up and wiped at a tear that remained on her cheek. "You were crying..."

He was at a loss, unsure what to do.  "What did you dream about?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Her lip quivered.  She wanted to tell someone she did but he would surely just walk away from her if he knew what had happened and how she did nothing to prevent the murder of her grandmother.  She struggled to regain herself.

In a shaky voice, "Oh I guess...just running from a Kelper Cat.  You know the jungle beasts.  We call them Kelper Cats."  She looked away and for a second she tried to control herself. 

Looking up at him was a mistake.  She burst into a full on sob.  Crying from the gut.  The kind you have that cleanses the soul.  She couldn't speak for the first few minutes.  But after a few she said between hiccups.  "Oh Reneth, I lost my grandmother in a horrible way.  She was killed and I did nothing to stop it.  They burned her alive."  Some more sobs....  "I just ran away!  I ran!"  Her crying slowly stopped as no more moisture was left within her.

"I still can see the men, not faces just this mark they all wore.  They said my grandmother had a book that could teach them to cover the sun and cast us all into eternal darkness.  She said only one has the knowledge of this book and it wasn't she.  They found me hiding in the stable.  They did horrible things to me and then some people from our village were able to save me but not her.  They told me to run and I did and I just cannot stop thinking about it." 

It felt great to tell someone she had held it in too long.  It was a relief to share her despair with someone.  "My journal, you can read it.  I wrote everything down from that night."  She pointed to her satchel which contained all her worldly possession...and her journal.

Lion

Reneth listened to all of this with interest and he immediately felt his stomach drop further.  It was hard to listen to, but he forced himself to do so.  And as she sobbed, all he could think to do was grab his coat that he'd used as a pillow and drape it over her shoulders.  "I understand," he murmured.  He was silent as he sat beside her.

He wasn't sure he wanted to rummage through her things, after all they'd only just met, but to hear her recant her troubles was enough for him.  "You did what you had to do to survive," he murmured.  "You shouldn't blame yourself.  You would be dead if you hadn't run.  Would your grandmother want that?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She shook her head no.  And she knew he was right.  It was just hard to accept.  Hard to understand the why of it all.  "Thanks" she said weakly.  "I am sorry for burdening you like this.  How awful.  All you wanted was a little shelter."  She wiped her eyes dry with her sleeve. 

"I think it is still early we could rest a bit before heading out."  She hugged his jacket to her shoulders and pushed hers over so he had something to rest on.  "I hope you aren't having second thoughts.  Cause it has been nice to have you with me.  But, I completely understand if in the morning you want to go your own way."  She said it fast just to get it out.  She figured this way he could leave and not feel sorry for her.  She didn't mean to break down and cannot understand why she did.