Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Truths are not always what they seem

Started by Parkway, September 24, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

A smile just touched his lips. 

"I'm not going anywhere.  But you have a right to let it out, if you've been carrying it all this time.  I...I confess I have felt similar things.  I never stay in one place for long.  Sometimes I feel like running is the only option I have..."  He ducked his head, blushing, embarrassed.

Reneth looked up at her.  "What do you remember about those men? The ones that hurt you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Fivan appreciated his kindness.  "Yeah, I know what you mean."  She sat up and sat crossed legged.  Snuggling into his coat it had a pleasant aroma.  She also grew crimson. 

When he asked about the men and that night she closed her eyes and could see them.  "They were human.  And all of them had a marking of sort on their hands.  I drew it in my journal.  Hold on let me show you."  She got up and pulled her satchel closer and removed her journal.  She tabbed through the pages and then settled on the pages.  Fit handed the book over.  "Here."  She pointed to a symbol that showed a serpent's head with fangs that appeared to be dripping.  Turning to the next page was a spider with an arrow head in its body.  "Those were all I could see.  But they all had the serpent on their armor they wore.  One of the men they kept referring to was Gallator.  I wrote it down right away.  They kept asking where was his payment?  Or his book?  I had no idea what they were talking about." 

Lion

He'd seen that symbol before, and he'd let his finger trace over the edge of her drawing.  "It's familiar to me...  though I can't say I know who Gallator is."  He felt his stomach clench.

"Fivan...did your Grandma mention the book to you at any time?  I...I'm not saying I know what it means.  Do you think they hunt you still?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

She chewed her bottom lip for a moment as she thought of what he said.  "Well she did have many and she shared all of them with me but her journal."  She furrowed her eyes trying to remember the last time she saw it.  "She kept it under the floor boards in the crafting room.  But they burnt the place down so I am sure any book they had wanted is now gone.  But really all we had were tomes on ingredients and such.  Nothing special."

She shifted a little uncomfortable at the thought of them still looking for her.  She had nothing.  "I can't see why they would?"  Her eyes filled with uncertainty and fear.   

Lion

"Me neither," Reneth said with honesty.  Despite the cold feeling in his gut, he managed a smile.  No, no, he wouldn't tell her he had been looking for her, this whole time.  That he was here to take her life.  Reneth shook his head of those thoughts and relaxed a bit beside her.

"They were just dreams, Fivan," he said with a smile.  "I get bad dreams too from time to time.  You're not alone."  He patted her shoulders.  "Do you think you can fall back asleep?  We could..talk some more if you'd like."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fi nodded.  "Yes, dreams.  I'd rather they be pleasant but maybe now they will be."  She looked a bit embarrassed as she realized he still had his coat.  "I guess you will need this back.  Sorry Reneth."  She pulled his coat and shivered.

"I am ready for sleep though."  She yawned and ducked under her bedroll.  "Thank you for everything.  And don't let me sleep too late.  Promise."

Lion

He laughed.  "But what if I over sleep?" he asked, taking the coat back and bundling it up again to lay beside her.  "If I wake up first, I'll wake you.  But if you wake up, you better rouse me.  Is that a deal?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She laughed!  "Yes it's a deal."

Fi laid beside him and his breathing along with the wind whistling she soon found herself drifting.  She slept uneventfully the rest of the night.  The comfort of another put her in a rested state.

When she woke a smile spread across her face.  She could feel the warmth of the blanket she was cocooned in surrounding her.    The she thought of Reneth.  He was so sweet last night.  To help calm her and let her get rest after all.  She wondered what time it was but another part didn't care.  She was so comfortable.  But really she should get up maybe make a little tea. 

She softly whispered "Reneth?"

Lion

But when she awoke, Reneth wasn't to be found.  Not within the tent at any rate.  There was some shuffling outside and soon Reneth popped his head back into the tent.  "I'm sorry.  I was going to wake you, but you looked so comfortable," he said with a thoughtful expression.  "But I made breakfast.  Eggs, that I had found scavenging.  And..some bread...that is yours.  I promise to repay you for them."

He came further in a little more and opened the flap, reveal the smells of food from outside.  The morning had warmed a little and the sounds of early morning critters could be heard nearby.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fi smiled and stretched.  "That's okay.  I feel wonderful!"  She sniffed the air and her smile widened.  "Eggs!  Yummy!  Such a treat."  She colored a little.

"You do not need to repay me." She voiced this low.  "If I have it I will share, it is who I am.,  She held up her hand.  "No, do not say another word on it."  She began to pull on her coat and rolled her sleeping blankets. 

Coming out of the tent and pulling her hair back, "Need me to do anything?" She looked about and pulled on a leather strap holding the tent taut.  "I am just going to roll this up, do I have time?"

Lion

"We have plenty of time I think," Reneth said.  His food was just about ready.  The fire was crackling.  And offered a great amount of warmth.

"I would rather not eat without you," he said with a nod.  He put them both onto plates, well the wooden boards that served as plates and sat down. 

Once she was finished putting away the tent, he bowed his head before the food, and ate.  "Did you have any more dreams?" he asked, curious.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fi sat crossed legged next to him and took the plate.  It smell wonderful.  "Oh this smells great!"  She dug in and with gusto.  Eggs were a treat!

Shaking her head "No, no I didn't have anymore.  May sleep was restful.  Thank you."  She finished her plate.  "That was wonderful.  Thank you so much Reneth."

She flopped back with a goofy smile.  "This has to be one of the best mornings I've had I. A long time!"  She jumped back up and began to clean up. "Let me finish cleaning up our area and we can be off." 

For the first time in a very long time she smiled and looked forward to the journey.  She had an ally now.

Lion

Reneth, in truth, did not know what to make of this.  He still had his task to fulfill, but he wasn't so sure anymore.  That mark, he'd seen it before.  And it unnerved him.  He couldn't do it.  He couldn't kill this woman in cold blood.  Something about her settled doubt unlike any other.

When they were ready to leave, Reneth helped her with her gear, holding some things to even the load between them.  The going wasn't too hard, not now when the snow had yet to flutter, but with their bellies filled they would not need to stop for a while.

But one thing did strike Reneth as curious.  Perhaps she had mentioned it before and he'd forgotten it.  "How did you end up all the way here, Fivan?" he asked, glancing at her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She quick wrote in her journal of the nightmare.  Stashed it back into her satchel and helped clean up the campsite.  He helped share the carry load and she appreciated this.   They set off together at a nice pace.
Fi was thankful for the breakfast it would keep them going and possibly well into the afternoon.  They could cover a lot of ground.  This cold was not for her.  Not at all.

"I came on an errand.  Had a package to deliver to the innkeeper here.  Some of the herbs grown off Yoreiq Isle.  She get them from time to time and I have taken them here before.  She give me a free room for the night, so it is a bit of a treat too."

The snow was so bright she needed to shield her eyes.  "What brought you this way?  Work?  Like me.  Say what is it you do?  You a mercenary?  I'm not I usual just do errands and such, nothing real exciting."  She smiled over at him.

Lion

"Do you deliver things for a living?" Reneth went on, trying to bide as much time as possible between having to answer her question and her extrapolating on her own answer.  Truth be told however, he was indeed curious.  And wanted to know a little more about her.

To find a reason solidified enough to still his blade.

"I told you I'm an apothecary.  I know it might be silly, me coming this far north in search of a rare herb.  I must admit, thought, I've never been to the Yoreiqi Isles.  What are they like over there?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She flushed.  Her smile flattered; he did tell her that.  But she simply forgot.  "Sorry, you did tell me.  It must have slipped my mind."  She chided herself for her forgetfulness.  He had been nothing but nice to her and she goes and puts her foot in her mouth.

"Yoreiqi is lovely.  You should go if you get the opportunity.  As an apothecarist you must know the value of their vegetation and mineral rocks.  I deliver a lot for a harvester their, his name is Talli.  he is an older gentlemen and whenever I cross over I go to him and see what deliveries he needs tended."  She began to chatter about the people and elves she did odd jobs for.  her voice losing the bit of embarrassment she felt.

"I also travel to Adela, their is a Knight there that must dabble in apothecary for I am forever being him all manner of herbs and plants. His name is Kaluis, maybe you know him?"  She shrugged. "He says the land of Adela is no good for growing."

They walked at a nice pace as Fivan continued to tell him of her travels.  "He has me looking into getting him two tomes for the theory of Sassafras Oils." 

Lion

Reneth found himself smiling at the insistence.  He'd heard of the place of course, but having never been there, he could only imagine what it was like.  But at her expression, her tone, and her words, he beamed and chuckled. 

"Well, perhaps someday I can be far from this cold and lonesome place.  Although much less lonesome now that I've met you," he said, looking down at his feet.

His smile slowly faded however, wondering just where they were going.  "Is there a next village over?" he asked, gesturing on the path ahead of them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fi smiled.  He was right for now it was much less lonesome. 

"There is."  She reached into her cloak and pulled the little map she had crudely produced over the years of errands and scouting.     "See right here.  Why did you want to go there?"  She looked up at him.  She didn't mind if he needed to stop there.  In fact she loved exploring the shops.  And if memory served she hadn't been to this one in a very long time.

"Cause if you want to, we can.  Maybe check out the market area."

Lion

In truth, Reneth didn't want to, but he felt it would be foolish to pass up civilization while they had the opportunity to take advantage of it.  There was no telling just how long they would be out here, or if they would get lost, or what not.  Map or not, that couldn't fix broken bones from falling into a gorge.

"Yes, let's," he said with a satisfied nod.  "I can pick up some extra supplies, and proper seasonings.  Those eggs could've used some pepper."  He tried to jest and perhaps his grin came off as awkward, but there it was.

Off to the next village they would go.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

"Okay!  Sounds wonderful."  She looked away but quickly back smiling, "Never!  those eggs were perfect!  I am of the school that if someone gathers and then cooks for you, just enjoy the moment." 

They walked the snow crusted ground.  The day wasn't as windy as yesterday but it was still bitter.  She tried to steady her pace a little so as not to sweat, which could truly be deadly in this weather.  "I think we continue just a little longer right?"  It was more of a statement then a question.

As they walked she wrinkled her nose.  "Reneth, did you ever hear stories about snow monsters that live in the forest here?  Hugh creatures of ice!  That wield shards of the stuff?"  Her voice playful as she remembered the spooky tales told to her when she was young.

Tags: