Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Truths are not always what they seem

Started by Parkway, September 24, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

She said his name and he jerked a bit, as if she were about to strike him.  The only people that said his name never hadany good intentions.  But he smiled and relaxed.  "Sorry," he murmured, blushing, cheeks hot against the feel of the cold breeze.  He shoved his hands in his pockets, unsure what to do with them.

"I have never heard such a thing, admittedly," he confessed.  "You don't suppose that there are any around here are there?  I sincerely hope not!  I don't think I could outrun such a creature...  You..haven't seen one have you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Fi looked over at him as their feet made crunching sounds.  "Well no."  She paused in her thought.  She had just assumed it was false.  Just scary stories for fun.  She looked at him not sure if he was teasing her or not.

"You aren't serious are you?  I just thought they were..."  She shrugged.  "Stories, you know for fun."  Now she looked about but there was nothing but curling smoke rising from the chimney's in the town off in the distance. 

She added more for her own comfort than anything else.  "Um, I traveled through here for years and never once encountered anything unusual."  But she was now walking straight up and looking around for oddities.

Lion

"Well, if I've learned anything about stories, it's that all stories are steeped in some sort of truth.  Or the image of it," Reneth said.  He gave her a laugh, short and awkward, maybe even nervous.  "I'm just saying, maybe there were such frost giant creatures in these woods some time ago, and someone told a story about them. Or maybe it wasn't even a giant, and just a really really cold mountain man running off in his skivvies."

At that Reneth laughed, a more genuine tone now, and his smile too was considerably more relaxed.  "But if we do come across one of those things, I guess we'll just have to run really really fast."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

She listened to him and nodded.  Not really liking what he said but know it was right.  But at his last sentence she busted out laughing!  Now that was funny! 

As the calmed a bit their footsteps making soft crunching noises along the path.  It was nice walking with him.  She stole a few glances but quickly turned way.  Her innocence showing all over her face as she tried not to be so noticeable. 

As they got closer to the town she realized she had been tense.  She chuckled a bit.  "Ha, you know what!  I've been on edge since we spoke of the cold mountain man!"  She chuckled again.  "But now we are at town I am feeling a bit better.  Let's go check it out." 

Lion

"I do as well, my companion.  Let's be out of this bitter weather," he said with a smile.  Reneth took her gently by the arm and began to walk a little faster through the tough, layered snow.  He helped her over a rise of snow and when the village came closer, he relaxed and was just happy to be out of the woods.

The soft smoke of chimneys billowed up and out into the sky.  Morning was still ripe, and thankfully there were no frost giants in site.  He smiled and felt his arm itch, and that smile quickly faded.  The stiletto was still there, still coated with poison.  His stomach soured and felt as if he could retch those eggs he just eaten not too long ago.

He stirred himself from his negativity.  "Look, let's get something to eat first, yeah?" he said, nudging her shoulder.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fivan gladly accepted his help. "Thank you."  She matched his pace and the village quickly came closer.  She tried not to think of the ice creatures but they were now in the back of her mind.

She was completely unaware of Reneth's inner turmoil.  Fi just happily followed along.  But she did notice his smile fade which made her quickly look about for danger.  But none was to be seen.  She tugged at his arm and gently. "Hey...no ice men."  She teased softly.

"Oh!  Food, sure doesn't hurt that's for sure.  I could use the warming up too."  She liked that idea.  She loved going to taverns because some had bards which meant she could sing.  Most times she was too shy but if it wasn't crowded maybe she would.

Lion

It was the only tavern up ahead.  And thankfully didn't seem too filled with people.  Reneth was happy to take a seat at the table along the wall, beside the window so that he might see who came and went, and gestured to Fivan to sit before them.

As a barmaid came by, she smiled at the pair.  "Be right with ya, darlings.  We've been getting a decent number of visitors here and there," she said.  "I'll get ya something to warm yer bellies."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

The room was warm and welcoming.  The smells of good food cooking circled around them.  Fi began to remove her thick cloak and hang it on the hook.  She then followed Reneth.  Settling into her chair as the barmaid cheerfully smiled.  "Okay, thank you."

"Ohhhh I would love a hot cider!  I hope they have that."  She shied away from explaining she has never had wine, mead, or ale...anything.  She just figured it best to keep that to herself.  She shyly looked down.  Reneth seemed worlds away.  But she didn't know what to say she really didn't know him and didn't want to push him away with her nervousness.

"Reneth, did the ice men follow us?"  She chuckled at her attempt at humor.

Lion

Reneth too had removed his coat and slung it on the back of his chair.  He ruffled hands through his hair.  He gave her a laugh, smiling and leaning forward on the table.  "I hope not, then we'd have to throw our hot food at them, and then that'd be a great big mess.  I'd be hungry, and there'd be water all over the floor," he said with a smile, chuckling.

When the woman came back, it seemed she had overheard Fivan's exclamation and brought two hot spiced ciders.  It smelled wonderful.  Reneth raised his glass to her.  "To uh, new friends, and uh...ice men!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

He made her laugh.  It felt good to be doing it too.  Fi thought of last night and how he helped her feel better.  When was the last time she felt safe with another?  She couldn't remember and right now it felt good so she wasn't going to question it.

When the barmaid left the two hot spiced ciders she inhaled it gratefully.  "Oh wait, okay!"  She raised her glass with his.  She chuckled again!  "Yes, to new friends and icemen!"  And then she laughed again.

Once sobered she took a deep gulp.  She looked at him and smiled softly before turning away.  She wanted to say more to him but didn't know what. 

Lion

Reneth visibly relaxed after intaking the cider.  He set it down on the table and leaned back in his seat.  "You okay, Fivan?  You seem like you're a bit nervous about something?  I hope you didn't really believe in those icemen."  He gave a soft laugh and crossed his arms before him on the table.

The barmaid came back with a smile.  "So what can I get fer ya dears?"

Reneth glanced up at her.  "A hot beef stew if you've got any," he said with a smile.  "And what'll you have Fivan?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She looked up at the barmaid and smiled while rubbing her hands together.  She hadn't been hungry when they first walked in but now she was.  "Do you have roasted venison?"

"We do young lady."  The women smiled kindly.

"Okay I'll take that and whatever roasted vegetables you have today."  Fi smiled back.

"Alright let me get this started for you both.  Oh and it is parsnip and rutabaga.  I'll have them seasoned up nicely."  The barmaid walked away and tended to their order.

She shook her head now with a smile at the mention of the icemen.  "Remember last night?  Well when you said do you think they follow me.  It has me thinking a bit.  I never did before.  Now I am not so sure.  I think....nah forget it.  I am just imagining things."

The barmaid came back and checked their drinks"Any wine, ale, or more ciders?"

"Uh...um...no wine or ale for me, but another cider thanks."

Lion

"The ciders are perfect.  Thank you.  Just what the cold night needed," Reneth said with a smile.  He raised his glass to the barmaid before she bowed, and walked away.  He chuckled a bit, unused to such hospitality.  Was he so very undeserving?  He wasn't sure, but he was so accustomed to taking care of himself that he never considered anything else.

It didn't take long for the food to come out and was presented before them.  "Enjoy darlins," she said with a smile and parted again.  Reneth's stomach grumbled loudly and he laughed, conscious of it. 

"Sorry, I guess I'm just really hungry."  He blushed and bowed his head before his food.  "Um, do you pray before you eat?  I don't want to just be rude and dig in."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Fi shook her head no.  "I pray to Orion, the God of the woods.  The God of nature and rebirth so no I do not pray over every meal."  She smiled and nodded as she dug into her meal.  She moaned and rolled her eyes back in delight.  Once she was done chewing Fi looked at Reneth and blushed.  "Sorry but I haven't had something this good in a very long time."

The ate their meals in the warmth of the establishment.  Some customers entered.  The barmaid tended to them as quickly as she did them. 

One of the new customers happened to be alone.  He was of broad shoulders, Snow White hair and piercing light colored eyes.  His skin was as white as the snow outside.  He choose a table closest to the door and in perfect view of Fi and Reneth.  He had a mug and a plate of cheese but seemed neither to eat or drink.  He didn't actually stare at them...he seemed to be reading something.  But his eyes watched the two with interest.

Lion

Reneth tried hard not to pay attention to anything coming into the tavern.  He was hungry and thirsty and freezing still from the cold outside.  He ate quietly, the beef stew hitting all the right spots and the spiced cider making him warm all over.  He smiled up at her, trying not to focus on the sensation of eyes on him.

But it was one he couldn't resist for long.  He did not have to turn his head.  Within his peripheral vision he saw who it was and felt himself freeze.  Hia stomach turned, threatening to upchuck his meal.  It was Tasker.  And he was eying Fivan over his reading material.

Reneth forced himself to relax, but he just kept his hands on his mug.  His hands were shaking.  "Looks like I need another cider," he said, laughing nervously.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn