Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A prodigal student [M]

Started by Medievarad, October 29, 2015, 01:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

Artorias sighed as he walked down the road in Reajh, he was told to meet his new mentor at the barracks. And thus, he was on his way. He rubbed his chin, feeling a bit of stubble. Shaving would be a nescessity. Such was his conclusion. The streets were desolate, the sun was slowly rising and merchants were starting to open shop. Artisans starting to work their trade. The entire city of Reajh was slowly waking up.

The mordecai in training was clad in a commoner's clothing. A green tunic and white, cheap cloth pants, only donning a breastplate, augmented with a shoulderpad on his left arm, as armor. He arrived at the barracks, stopping in his tracks, his thumb hooking at the edge of his pants. The young shapeshifter looked around for whomever would be his mentor.

Rhindeer

Maxine was out in the training yard near the barracks going through her forms, sweat shimmering on her brow and slicking her hair against her face. She knew her student was to arrive sometime that morning, but as she was an early riser, that still gave her plenty of time to eat, go through her morning rituals, and squeeze in a little practice.

She knew little about her student, for she'd been told nothing but the barest need-to-know details. She knew his name, and that he was older than was usual for recruits--because he had allegedly been discovered late, something that wasn't entirely uncommon for Mordecai, whose abilities could manifest even late in life. Still, it would be interesting! She was so used to training young kids; would an older recruit be less or more frustrating? When they were young, they were easy to mold, but an older trainee might at least have more common sense.

Max didn't have much more time to ponder that when one of the other Mordecai called out across the yard, "Hey, Maxy! Fresh meat!" he said, jerking his head in Artorias's direction. "That your kid?"

Putting down her practice sword, Max glanced in that direction and wiped her brow with the back of a gloved hand. The guy there had the same semi-lost look all new recruits did and was clearly looking for someone, so it seemed likely to her!

"Probably!" she said, and put her sword away. "Thanks for the heads up."

Striding across the yard, she soon reached Artorias and tapped his shoulder. "Hey there. Looking for someone?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Medievarad

Kid? That hurt his pride. He wasn't a mere child that was recruited from when it was able to take it's first steps. No. He was already a lethal and capable fighter. His left arm shifted slightly, retaining it's original form. Yet a small wave pulling over, deforming the skin temporarily. But, then again. He was not here to prove himself lr cause troubles. He was here to meet his mentor. He felt a tap on the leather pauldron and turned around to the woman demanding his attention.

"Good morning," he nodded with a friendly smile, "indeed. I am looking for my mentor." He stated. "I didn't recieve any info about him. No name. No appearance. I just had to wait here."

Rhindeer

"Him?" Max repeated, a wide grin stretching her lips. Wow, so she wasn't the only one who'd been left in the dark! But at least she'd been given a little more information than that! She barked an incredulous laugh at that, but quickly waved a hand.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm just..." She snorted, still grinning. It wasn't a foolish assumption to make, considering women, while allowed among their ranks, were still uncommon--but it still tickled her. Hopefully he wouldn't be pigheaded about it; men could be awfully stubborn and ridiculous when a woman outranked them. "Well, I'm him, you see. Your mentor! Only I'm a her."

She extended her hand. "Name's Max. Max Foley. What was your name, again?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Medievarad

Artorias was taken aback at the sudden burst of laughter. A quizzical eyebrow raised. He didn't understand what was so damn funny. He wanted to, so he could laugh aswell. She explained that it wasn't him laughing at her. So it was something he said. But just what did he say to make this woman burst out in laughter?

"Ah. I see." Artorias chuckled at his own faux pas for a moment. "My apologies."

He grabbed her hand. Nodding as he shook it. "Artorias Frostmane. How do I have to adress you..?" He asked. Was it ser? Madam? My lady? Master, perhapd)s?

Rhindeer

"Just Max'll do," she said as she released his hand and gave a little shrug. "Nothing fancy. What about you? You go by just Artorias or can I call you Art or Arty?"

Medievarad

He nodded. "Max it is." Artorias shrugged in return. "I prefer Artorias, but I won't stop you from using those pet names."He said with a sllow chuckle.

Rhindeer

"Pet names?" Max repeated with another incredulous laugh. "Shall I find you a collar and bell? Artorias is just a mouthful, but then again, I'm a little biased toward short names. Besides, nothing rhymes with Artorias. Art...well..."

Her smile turned teasing. She assumed he could figure out where she was going with that. With a wink to show she was just joking, she clapped him on the shoulder again and then turned to lead him into the barracks.

"C'mon, I'll show you where you can toss your shit. Why don'tcha tell me about yourself while we walk."

Medievarad

He arched an eyebrow. Shrugging at her laughter. "Good point." Was what he said with a smirk. Artoriass. Not the most original one. Though, when it wasn't with 'malicious' intent, he couldn't be offended by jokes. As they were what they were. Jokes.

He followed the woman, nodding. "About me? Uhh.. I am a shapeshifter, so, I don't need weapons or armour. I can just create them. Unlocked my 'gift' when I was five years old. I was born in a mage's family but I had no arcane talents. Back then my shapeshifting abilities were not this potent.  And considered weak. Thus I was cast out when I was seven. The rest is just tales of wandering and training, finding my way to Connloath where I heard of the mordecai."

He nodded slowly. "You can probably fill in the gaps."

Rhindeer

A shapeshifter? And born to mages? Max's eyebrows rose in a brief moment's alarm, but she quickly flicked the concern away. He was a Mordecai. No wonder he'd be cast out so young, with his abilities affecting those mages. And if anything, wasn't that just further proof of God's righteousness, having created a Mordecai in a den of magic as though to say their way always prevailed in the end?

Seemed like it.

"Huh," she finally said, blinking. "Never worked with a shapeshifter before. Uh. Thaaaat probably simplifies my job significantly! Are there limits to that ability?"

Medievarad

"Some. We need nutrients. A lack of those will cause us to breaking down other organs slowly to use our abilities. With other words. I eat a fucking lot." He let out a bellowing laughter. "It is physically taxing aswell. Compare it to running. You can do it. It will tire you out. Pushing your limits will cause you being able to run longer. Though, push yourdelf to far and you get hurt and might pass out." He pulled a kind of awkard smile. "I guess that comparison works with any phsyical ability." He shrugged slowly.

Rhindeer

"That makes sense," Max said as she took him inside the barracks, which were mostly empty. They'd been given a day off, so most of their squad had hit up the local town, gone to visit family or the taverns (not the Lilies, certainly, but regular Mordecai had no such restrictions)--or just enjoying a fine sunny day outdoors.

"But what about other limitations? For example, limitations with regards to size? Can you change into an insect or a dragon? Ah, here we are!"

Max motioned toward a bunk up against the wall. "You get the bottom bunk. I'm on the top. You can toss your stuff here."

Medievarad

"Hm. I'm not a shapechanger. There is a difference. A shapechanger can change into other beings. I can only alter limbs. The most I can alter at the same time is my chitin armour." He put his hand on his right shoulder. "Behold." A red mist pulled over his arm, tentacles writhing over it and soon, an enourmous bladed weapon replaced his arm. The same writhing tentacles, he held up the assymetrical blade. "Like this."

Rhindeer

"Holy fuck!" Max gasped, jumping back when his arm did that, and soon went from being a normal looking arm to a freakin' blade! It was like nothing she'd ever seen before, and out of reflex and instinct her hand shot down to the hunting blade at her belt.

Yet she didn't draw it.

Instead, she sucked in a deep breath and let her hand fall away from it before drawing herself up taller. "Right. Yeah. That's, uh...that's pretty neat..." she finally said, her mind screaming, "Magic! Unnatural!" even as her brain reasoned that of course it wasn't magic, otherwise he wouldn't be able to do it. Another breath and she pushed her bangs back from her eyes.

"Duly noted. Ah. I can definitely see how that would be useful! You'll scare anyone you face senseless before you even have to use your blade!"

Medievarad

He arched an eyebrow at the reaction. Her hand immediatly shooti.g for her hunting knife. The tentacles at the core of tje blade started to writhe violently, being sucked in through the core again, shaping back to his original arm. "Sorry for the sudden.. You know." He chuckled slowly. "Believe me. The sword is the least creepy."

Rhindeer

"I won't ask for another demonstration, then!" Max said with a snort, watching in morbid fascination as his hand reformed. She grinned at him. "I'll let you leave the creepier stuff for the field. It'd be a good shock tactic, if anything."

She nudged him with her elbow. "I kid. Of course I wanna see what you can do--but later, when we spar. I figure today can be more of an orientation. Show you the ropes, get you fed, that sort of deal. You hungry?"

Medievarad

He nodded. "Well. Most people turn around and run when they witness a pissed off and fully armoured shapeshifter." He grinnes at the nudge. "I don't. And I am." He chuckled.

Artorias pulled the knapsack off and throwing it on the bottom bunk. "So you're on top, eh?" He chuckled slightly at his own stupid joke, before turning to Max and possibly following her.

Rhindeer

"Pfffffft," Max snorted, and waggled her eyebrows suggestively at him. "Oh yeah, totally, if you what I mean. And you best not forget it!"

With a roll of her eyes and shake of her head, she lead the way out through the barracks and back outside. Truth be told, she didn't really get the joke. She got that it was some sort of innuendo, and she'd overheard some of the men teasing each other about that before, but she'd never asked for an explanation. She had some guesses as to what it meant--whoever was on top during sex?--but wasn't really sure why men teased each other about it so much.

She just always found it best to roll with a joke, even when she didn't completely get it.

Medievarad

He huffed dryly in response, shrugging slowly. "So. I guess I'm gonna have to stick to you for the time being?"

Rhindeer

"Yuuuup!" Max answered cheerfully, before casting a look his way, one eyebrow arched. "Disappointed?"