Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

(Un)happily ever after [M] [ @Coma ]

Started by Wild, November 08, 2015, 12:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild

(This is part 2 of the plot with Flavia and Rasul. This is the link to part 1: What's Love Got to Do With It?)

The sounds of the party had faded. The wedding guests were gone. For the first time of her life Flavia was going to live in a household of her own. The sound of her light footsteps echoed against the walls when she entered the Mansion the young couple had received as their wedding present.

Peeking inside, she could see that it was a stately Mansion, equipped with all the luxury suitable for a high society couple like them. Perhaps she could have learned to love this Mansion one day - if she had lived here with someone else. But her parents had forced her into marrying a man she did not love. And from the gazes he had sent her during the wedding ritual only a  couple hours ago, he did not love her either.

Flavia went inside the livingroom and looked around. She was still dressed in her wedding gown. Only a few hours ago she had not even met her husband. But now she was bound to him for life, and this Mansion would be her future prison.

Her face was still pale after the shock of being sold like a juicy piece of meat to her husband. How could her father do this to her? And yet she knew it would be futile to resist. In Essyrn women had no rights. She was trapped now - forever - here alone with him....

Coma

**Thank God he was out of that fiasco... albeit stuck with the pale, trembling wretch who had become his wife.  Although pretty enough, he had no patience or kindness for her; let alone anything close to 'love'.  They had made their way to this new, empty mansion as soon as they could after the ceremony - Flavia would soon learn that her new spouse had little interest in parties or anything even remotely entertaining.  All his social functions were undertaken with a strategic purpose - nothing was done on a whim or on a flight of fancy.**

**He watched her with that intense dark brown gaze, the expression on his face as unreadable as it had been during the ceremony.  She remained as she had been as well - white as a sheet, with that startled look in her eyes - as if she couldn't believe what had happened to her...**

**Well... she wasn't the only one bemoaning her bad luck.  Did she honestly think that he wanted to be in this situation either?  They were bound together by marriage until the day they died.  Divorce was no option - it was doubtful that either one could keep the lifestyle they had grown accustomed to without the assistance of her father.  Knowing his parents, there was likely going to be a sizeable income from them as well - just to match Lord Bathory's kindness...**

**No... he would keep this lifestyle... and she was going to help him.  She just needed to know of her new place in life.  His voice was a growl when he spoke to her - a hand reaching out in an attempt to painfully grip her wrist and pull her to him when she ventured too close.**

"Take that look off your face... you think I want you either?"

**Before he could even comprehend his actions, he aimed a vicious slap to her face - the gesture more one of his own anger and annoyance; than anything she had truly done.  Perhaps, if he had been honest with himself, she would likely wish to do the same to him - but that just wasn't how things worked.  She was his property... besides, her father seemed to like him - even should she go crying to him about this cruelty, Lord Bathory would likely see it as an attempt to leave the marriage...**

Wild

On her way to their new, empty mansion she said nothing to the man beside her, had nothing to tell him. Luckily he didn't seem eager to chat either. The wedding ceremony had been a complete fiasco for both the bride and the groom. She was glad it was over, though she knew the party still went on in the home of her parents....

She felt him watching at her with that intense dark brown gaze, bracing herself for anything that might happen. She remembered well how her father had treated her mother when he thought they were alone.

Again she had the feeling of being trapped like a rat in a cage. Bound to a man she did not love and had never asked for until the day she died. Her husband seemed just as fuming as herself over the wedding forced upon them. She was relieved of that at least. It would have been much worse if one of them had been in love and not the other. Now she wouldn't have to pretend, and she didn't expect any kind of love from him. Heck, she would even allow him to have mistresses, if it kept him out of her bedroom.

But she knew it was a far shot. Their families would expect an heir from this marriage. She wondered how they could expect that when she and Rasul so obviously hated each other. But marriages had been annulled before when they were not... completed, were they not? Flavia hoped for a quick divorce so she could return to school and continue her medicine studies. She had been the best of her class - an A student, and if she had been a boy she would have joined a university and gotten her degree and a doctor title by now.

A sharp yelp of pain escaped her lips when her husband grabbed her painfully by the wrist and pulled her to him. She struggled, trying to break free, but she was not physically strong, and thus an easy match to him. For all it was worth, at least she could say her husband was a strong man.

Perhaps a little too strong....

She let out a cry of pain when he slapped her face viciously. A red hand-shaped mark formed on her cheek where his slap had hit her, and her eyes filled with tears as she placed her hand on the burning mark.

"What are you angry with me for?" she retorted, her voice angered from his behavior. "Do you think I had something to do with this? I was only a few weeks away from my medicine exam when my father pulled me off from school to marry me off. I could have been a doctor by now if it wasn't for you..."

And if girls had been allowed to enter the university....

Her eyes sparkled with anger, and she looked fiercely up at him. "I'll be honored to grant you a divorce as soon as the Judge's office opens tomorrow, then we can both do what we want..."

Coma

**It was just as well that Flavia said nothing to him – he had no wish to speak to the woman who had brought this upon them both.  The fact that both his parents and hers were merrily celebrating with their entire network of friends and associates only made him angrier.  Even the weather on their arrival seemed to sympathise with him – seconds after they had stepped into their new home, it began to pour.  Doubtless it develop into a storm later on – and thus they may not receive their servants until the next day if this were the case.  No one was foolish enough to brave a violent storm... and so they would likely be left to fend for themselves tonight...**

**Great.**

**Such an eventuality would likely be a wonderful opportunity for a normal newlywed couple – but for Rasul, it meant nothing but being entirely alone with a woman who hated him and who, in turn, he despised.  They knew nothing about one another – and both were far too stubborn to want to get to know one another.  However, Rasul was far too spiteful at this stage to let his new bride just be alone with her thoughts when his own would only make him angrier and more depressed.  As far as he was concerned, an argument with her was better than nothing at all.**

**He was considering his own family... his father who had decided on this marriage, along with Flavia's father... his mother who likely would travel to be with them in the morning to help Flavia learn the finer points of wifehood.  Of course, his brothers were remembered as well – with an unshakeable degree of jealous loathing.  They would not need to worry about being married off for some time – and, unlike him, they were looking forward to the days where their father introduced them to their intended brides.  No doubt, before long, his younger brother Kamuel would want to visit to meet Rasul's new bride for himself.  A sigh was given... why couldn't Kamuel have been the one to wed this girl?  They likely would have been far better a match...**

**That fury at his peaceful younger brother had been part of the reason that he had grabbed Flavia so forcefully and pulled her closer.  She did battle against him – it was beneficial that she was not a strong woman.  It was easy to hold her in place, even when he delivered that angry slap.  Although physically weak, her spirit appeared quite strong enough – she was soon offering her own argument back to him.  He hadn't quite expected the young woman to be so sure of herself and confident – other girls he had encountered had been weak-willed and timid when in his presence.  For that reason, there was a mildly surprised look in his eyes; but this was quickly subdued and vanished almost immediately.  His voice, in return, was spiteful and harsh...**

"Don't be stupid... girls have no place as a doctor or in a university."

**As she dared suggest granting him a divorce, he snarled in annoyance, attempting to shove her to the ground and letting his dark gaze follow her as she was released.  Just how stupid could this woman be?  Could she not see that such a thing would be disastrous for her as well as him?  A divorce would bring dishonor on both of them in the eyes of their families and they would likely be cut off from any fortunes from either side – as well as find it difficult to make their way in the world without the support of their influential parents.**

"You fool.  Don't you understand?  If we divorce, we lose everything.  Neither one of us will be accepted back into our families and we will be left without the backing of our parents.  We are forced to make the best of this."

**There was a note of spite on his voice as he thought over this situation, that aggressive sheen returning to his angry gaze once again.**

"You are in an even worse situation than I am... no one will take a divorced woman.  Therefore, you will remain my property by the eyes of the law... and you can thank your father for that much."

Wild

Flavia fumed when she heard the sound of raindrops starting to fall outside. First single drops, then more, and before she knew it the sky opened and released a heavy pour of rain outside. The girl cursed inwardly, hoping that the rainfall wouldn't harm the herbs she had planted at home before she was sent off to marry the gloomy man beside her. A look of concern crossed her face when she saw the rainfall outside. It would soon brew to become a storm, and she already knew that it would be impossible for the servants to arrive tonight as planned. She didn't like the thought.

She was still only 16 years of age, and a bit afraid of thunder and lightening. At home with her parents she could seek refuge with her older sisters, but who could she hide behind here? She sighed again, feeling completely lost and alone in the world, without a friend in sight. Why did Father have to marry her off like this? What had she ever done to him?

Feeling sorry for herself she stood and frowned, pondering what she was supposed to do tonight. She had already realized that she could never expect any kind of love from the man next to her - he had made that perfectly clear from the first time they met. Her parents may have been fooled by his smile, but she had heard the hint of ice in his voice and seen the threatening glances he sent her. Not for a moment did it occur to her that she could have taken time to get to know the man. She wondered what kind of life they would have together, none of them saying a word...

I know that I wanted a quiet life, but not THIS quiet....

She sighed again as she stood and heard with anxiety how the amounts of raindrops increased outside. She hoped the weather wouldn't get worse. She already longed back to her boarding school... or to her nice bedroom in the home of her parents. Why couldn't her older sister Marina have been married off to this man instead? She was the real grumpy of the sisters, and thus would be a better match to Rasul. But no, her father didn't think Marina was beautiful enough for marriage, so he had instead married off his 16 year old mild-tempered (well, at least in his presence mild-tempered) daughter Flavia.

That temper ceased to be mild the moment Rasul hit her across the face. Her eyes sparkled in anger, and if she had been stronger she would surely have fought him back. But Flavia knew that whatever she tried to do to hurt him probably wouldn't hurt very much. She simply did not have the strength. It gave her a certain pleasure to see the mildly surprised expression in his eyes for a brief moment when she answered him back. Clearly he had not expected that. Her brown orbs looked up at him with devilish irony when he spoke of girls having no place as a doctor or in a university.

"Just because men are afraid of competition," she challenged. "If girls were allowed as doctors or as university students it wouldn't take long before we could take over the world. We can do anything a man can do - and more. Our brains are just as capable of learning as yours."

Her threat to divorce him resulted in his attempt to shove her to the ground. She grunted as she fell to the ground, trying to get back up on her feet again. She did not see any reason for his anger. If he hated her so much, wasn't he glad to see her leave?

Her eyes looked angrily up at him when he called her a fool, telling her about their finances going back to the family and being left without the backing of their parents. She wanted to point out that as a doctor she would be able to earn her own considerably income, but something told her it was better to shut up about this at the moment.

"You start our life as a newly wedded couple by slapping me around, and then you say we should make the best of it?" she snapped back. "How the hell do you find anything good in a situation like this? I was only two weeks away from getting my final exam papers! TWO weeks! I would have passed - I was the star student of my class - I even got better grades than my brother who studies medicine in the university!"

She glared at him when he spoke of nobody wanting to take a divorced woman. It was true, but divorced men were not very popular either, and she knew it. "I am not just a price you can claim," she growled, silently swearing to mix laxatives in her father's food the next time she saw him.

Coma

**With luck, if the storm worsened, their parents would have had the forethought to stoke the place with food, blankets and clothing – that was something that would at least make their first few days here manageable if nothing else.  They had been brought here in a grand horse-drawn carriage, befitting their new union in the eyes of their parents – but the driver had left sharply in order to get home and see to his horses before the oncoming bad weather hit.  As spiteful as it was, Rasul was glad that the man had been caught in this downpour – it would serve him right for bringing him to this cold, empty place with only this woman as company.  Rasul had initially planned to have absolutely nothing to do with his new bride... at least until he got his head around the events that had led them to this awful marriage, but his temper had rapidly frayed and he was now gearing up to fight with her.**

**He watched with bitter, hateful eyes as she pulled herself back up to her feet – the shove had been entirely her fault.  Her mother should have had the foresight to teach her to respect her future husband.  If such a lesson hadn't been provided, then Rasul would just have to make sure she learnt it now.  Unlike his father, Rasul held fast onto the belief that women were to be polite and obedient – arguing back and glaring was not part of the deal.**

**There was no way that Rasul would willingly accept a life of frosty silences and spiteful glares from her – although she could well expect such treatment from him.  Misery needed company – and, if he had to be stuck in this marriage with the pathetic girl, then she was going to have to put up with his steadfast ways and arrogance.**

**Already the storm outside was picking up in intensity.  He allowed a moment to step toward the window, peering out into the gathering darkness.  Dark grey clouds were looming overhead and sending sheets of torrential rain down all around their new home.  The wind howled the instant he looked out and there was a shake of his head.  His voice a soft mutter, meant only for himself; but she would likely catch his words as well.**

"It will storm."

**He snorted as she ranted at him about her precious school and how clever she had been.  It mattered little – even if she did pass her courses; what man would be prepared to accept a woman into his employ?  Her only chance of success would be to try and strike out under her own power... but even then, it would be difficult without the support of a man.  Husbands tended to carefully pick and choose the doctor that saw to their wives and children... and they would certainly not go to a woman physician themselves.**

"The reasoning does not matter... girls aren't allowed.  A world run by your gender would be doomed to failure."

**His gaze turned from the window, piercing into her instead as she continued the argument.  His face was a wall of emotionless; but those eyes... they seethed with barely-contained aggression, his voice hissed low at her; the words intending to wound her more than any physical attack could.**

"You will learn to behave.  Do you understand?  I don't care about your studies... why your father ever let you go into education is beyond me.  I don't need to claim you... you are already mine."

**Outside, the first rumble of thunder began to roll towards them – the storm was travelling and would likely settle ominously over their new home.  It would be quite an accompaniment given how the new occupants both felt.   Rasul chose the moment to storm off down the corridor, spitting a few words back over his shoulder as he did.**

"Either cease your prattling about your worthless school or sleep in the stable.  It's your choice."

**His words were weary – he'd had quite enough of this day and his patience was rapidly depleting.  There was a lack of venom to these final words, but they did spell the end to their conversation.  Rasul fully intended to find the room which would be his and settle himself down for the night.  Whatever his new bride did with her night was entirely up to her.  Before long, the storm would linger forebodingly above them; likely cursing them both to a sleepless night of raging thunder and lightning – and the relentless impact of their own thoughts.**

Wild

At this point Flavia did not expect any social interactions from her husband. From the silence he had showed her so far, she expected he wanted to keep to himself. Thus she made her way into the kitchen, to inspect what supplies they had so far and for how long she could expect them to last. Opening the cupboards she was pleased to see the well stocked kitchen. This was enough to keep them with food for several months! Of course she would still need to bake the bread, but Flavia had been well taught in the kitchen and knew how to cook.

She also found a basement connected to the kitchen, where they could store food that needed to be kept cool to last. Also this basement was well stocked with food and barrels of drinks for the next few months.  Relieved that they had food supplies for a long time, Flavia started searching for kitchen utensils and was pleased to find she had everything she needed to cook the refined dishes she was brought up with, and also some utensils for food of the simpler sort.

"At least we won't starve here," she said softly to herself, unaware that the sound of her voice also could reach Rasul. "Plenty of food and drinks in the kitchen and the basement - and even some logs for firewood."

She kept ignoring her husband's spiteful glares. There was no way she would willingly accept a lifetime of frosty silences and spiteful glares from him. Misery needed company, and if she had to be stuck in this marriage with the pathetic man, then he was going to put up with her steadfast ways and arrogance.

She had already written him off as a hopeless companion and had taken a step towards the stairwells leading upstairs when she heard his voice as a soft mutter.

"It will storm."

"It already does," she replied, then glanced towards the window, her face looking worried when she saw the trees bending for the wind howling through the corners. "Oh, you meant on the outside. Shoot...."

The last word was the only swear word she knew - and it came because she realized that storms brought with them thunder and lightening - and Flavia was scared of both. She was also afraid of the darkness, but this had not been a problem before, when she stayed in the home of her parents sharing room with her older sister. It was a huge problem now, as she was stranded here in a large manor - alone with the grumpiest man she had ever seen - a man she was bound to for the rest of her life.

She heard him snort during her rant about her precious school, as if he believed that girls could not have careers of their own. She got even more bent on completing her studies just to show him - but how could she without any support of a man? It would be impossible, even she realized that. She hoped that she - if she showed him some of her written medicine works and her theories, could perk his interest. She had to prove to him that she was more than just a pretty face. Then perhaps he would be willing to publish her work... It would bring money to the household, so she saw no reason why it shouldn't work. And she knew that her theories were right, as she had tested them several times under the strictest precautions and all three times with the same result.

She arched an eyebrow when he pointed out that a world run by her gender would be doomed to fail, and now it was her turn to let out a snort of contempt. "As if the world run by men has not failed already.... " she taunted. "You do a lousy job ruling our world..."

It gave her a certain sense of satisfaction to see the barely-contained aggression in the eyes of her husband. It showed that her words reached in to him. She glared at him in return, to show him that she was not afraid of him and that she would not let him command her as if she was his personal slave.

"Mind your own behavior," she retorted. "You're the one hitting people smaller than you are. I guess the elders are right: The violence begins where the intellect ends..." A devilish smirk washed over his face when he spoke of why her father ever let her go into education. "Oh, you like stupid women, do you?" she taunted him. "Well, perhaps it's for the best. They are the only ones capable of matching your own intellect..."

She cringed by the words that she was his. It was a truth she hated. "I was never asked to give my conscent in this case," she frowned, then smirked devilish as she knew how to get back at her husband. "My father was the one signing the stupid contract, my father was the one answering on my behalf during the wedding ceremony. So in fact... it seems like you married my father...."

Outside she could hear the first rumble of thunder just as Rasul stormed off from the room. In another moment she would perhaps have felt as if she had won the fight - but being alone in the thunderstorm she felt anything but victorious.

"The horses are much nicer than you are!" she shouted after him, grabbing a flower vase from a nearby table and tossing it in his general direction.

Still seething with anger after the quarrel she stomped off to explore the second floor of the mansion and find herself a bedroom to claim as hers. She had no plans to sleep in the stable like a beggar when she was the lady of the house. She gathered her personal belongings from the hallway and carried them to a nice bedroom on the second floor.

She had started unpacking her things, placing them in the cupboards and shelves of her new room when the rumbles from the storm outside picked up. A lightening lit up the entire room, and Flavia squeaked in fear as she heard the biggest roar of thunder she had heard so far. 

Before she knew what she was doing, she had grabbed the bedsheets she had found in the linen closet outside her bedroom and rushed off towards the door she had seen Rasul go through when she explored the house earlier. With trembling hands she knocked on the door, hoping he at least would bother to answer.

Coma

**At least there was a few moments of relative calm between them when she wisely chose to explore the kitchen and basement areas.  It mattered little to him, if he were honest, whether they had enough food.  He knew enough of hunting to take a weapon and stalk a beast that had taken refuge from the cold – besides, if nothing else, they had both eaten at least a little at the wedding.  True, it was mainly on the insistence of both their parents – but it was enough to see them through until tomorrow.  Her knowledge of cooking would surprise him – part of his mother's presence tomorrow was to teach her how to oversee a houseful of servants and slaves.  Flavia was to ensure that the mansion ran like a well-oiled machine – disciplining and dealing with the staff as necessary.  She wasn't expected to know the finer points of preparing food and stocking a cellar.  Then again, perhaps Rasul's skill with weapons would surprise her as well...**

**n the fleeting, darkening light before the storm truly set in; Rasul was at least able to survey the view from his place at the living room window – here were tool sheds out there, left ajar for whatever servant their parents had employed to tend to ornate gardens and grounds.  On their journey, he knew that part of the land and forest around them was theirs to hunt and set animals to graze on.  This place would eventually be quite self-sufficient.  If they were a normal couple, they could well be quite happy here... but it was doubtful that day would ever come...**

**He only half-listened as she spoke to herself about the kitchen and the supplies within.  Personally, his thoughts had managed to serenely focus on the oncoming storm – by the look of it, it would remain above them for some considerable time.  Such a fact didn't bother him... he was keen on such dreadful weather.  It provided an excuse to remain indoors and not have to concern himself with the social obligations his overly extroverted parents often pressured their whole family into.  This quick-fire marriage seemed just another way to further their social circle and secure the future of their prosperity...**

**She was back in the room with him now, reacting to the words he had left her with – the insults regarding her school, her studies, even her family... she was barrelling retorts back at him with a ferocity he had never seen in a noble young lady before.  She had some fire to her, that was definite – and, to her credit, he didn't necessarily consider that a bad thing.  His gaze, though, remained quite fixed to the downpour outside.**

**His expression remained unreadable, unchanging – she was allowed the opportunity to rant at him.  Usually, he would have struck out should any other woman dare speak to him like this... but his sharp mind was quite aware that both his parents might well visit – and he couldn't have his new bride injured when they did.  He would only be met with difficult questions and accusatory glares from the girl herself.  However, each insult was stored away – she would pay for every single remark.  Every single one.**

**Once she finally delivered her final verbal blow – the insult that he had married her father rather than her, a vague smile was allowed – an indication that he had listened to her and had been paying attention.  He finally turned away from the window, allowing his arms to fold at his chest as he studied her closer; leaning a little closer as he did, as if relishing the hatred in her eyes...**

"Perhaps I should ask your father how he controls your mother.  I have a feeling he'd be interested in knowing the sort of unladylike habits his daughter has picked up..."

**He turned then, leaving her in his wake to dwell on his words.  There had been a definite threat to his parting remark – something quite unsavoury and sinister.  Even as the vase was hurled after him, smashing on the floor and sending sharp little shards skidding off in all directions on the well-polished floor, he offered no reaction.  Once she was fully in his grip, she would soon learn and forget that rebellious little streak.  His father had been wrong on one count – it seemed that the Bathory girl was not a well-refined, sweet, innocent little creature... she had a will all of her own.  A will that was to be crushed.**

**Was it natural to be so delighted to be away from your new wife after less than a day in her company?  It couldn't be.  His own parents had delighted in telling him and his brothers all about their own wedding; how they had been scared at first... but had then relaxed into each other's company and found that they belonged together.  True, there was no way he thought the same would happen on his wedding day – Rasul had an independent streak that was difficult to deny.  He had expected his future wife to be a demure, shy little woman who dared not even raise her voice at him – let alone hurl ornaments.**

**She would learn...**

**He had found his own room and closed the door firmly behind him.  The room was huge and grand... clearly the master bedroom of the place – the room that they were supposed to share somewhere down the line.  No... that was not going to happen – not permanently anyway.  This room was his and she could claim another.  Perhaps tomorrow, he would claim a handful of rooms for his own purposes.   He would need an office and a room to entertain prospective businessmen in...**

**His mind wandered around plans for this place as he explored the storm-darkened room.  It was furnished – the bed huge and grand, likely a wedding gift from some rich acquaintance.  A writing desk occupied one corner of the room, together with a beautiful oaken chair.  A wardrobe, considerably taller than his own 6ft form, dominated the corner and an empty basin stood next to it.  When the servants were in place, this would be filled each morning with clean water for him to wash in.  Yet... aside these beautiful, grand pieces... the details were missing.  The bed had no sheets or blankets – these were folded neatly at the end of the bed; left there for a servant to prepare tonight.  Although he didn't bother to look, he knew that his clothes would not inhabit the wardrobe – his mother had assured him that she would bring his possessions with her when she came to stay.**

**The storm had, in that respect, caused a hindrance.  There was a vague irritation that he was stuck here with a deluded, girl – and with nothing to occupy his time.  Typical of his luck – and an irritating end to a dreadful day.  A hand swept up to tousle through his usually well-kept hair, aggravating it into boyish, ebony spikes...**

**There were footsteps coming from down the corridor and, before the knock at his door even came; he had expected it to be her.  Outside, the thunder was picking up; an occasional bolt of lightning splitting the sky in half aggressively.  He opened the door, just as another blast of sheet lightning painted his room in ethereal-blue.  Bathed in the powerful, fleeting light; she looked no less frantic.  There was a look of mild amusement, as he tilted his head to one side and lent up against the doorframe...**

"Did you lose your way to the stable?"

Wild

Flavia started counting quietly for how long their food would last. This storm could last for days - maybe even weeks. Last  winter she had heard that the storm had lasted for a month - the longest storm anyone could remember. Her nanny had been from this area, so she had told Flavia lots of stories about this place. Perhaps these stories could come in handy one day, with so much knowledge about where to find the best herbs and plants, where to go to find the best game, which place on the lake that held the biggest fish...

But Flavia never thought she would be able to use these things. She couldn't hunt if her life depended on it. She would be pleasantly surprised if she had known that her husband knew how to bring food on the table. On the other hand she was an excellent cook - even her father had been proud when she served  the former Sultan a dish she had prepared herself. Flavia's dishes were delicious and would melt on the tongue. The girl loved to cook, and would be happy as a lark when she was allowed into the kitchen, singing happily while cooking the dishes she wanted to create.

The former Sultan had been most pleased with her dish and rewarded her with a beautiful necklace. Flavia kept it among her jewels as a treasure. If she one day should find herself out of money and out of ways to get new money, she could always sell the jewels to survive.

She was surprised that Rasul didn't retort back at her after all the things she threw in his face. She had a feeling she would regret her words later, but at the moment she was too angered to care. His vision of women being inferior to men was hopelessly old-fashioned and had to change.
As he turned away from the window, she was surprised to see a vague smile on his face by the thought that he had married her father. His arms were folded at his chest as he studied her closer, and she glared at him in case he was thinking of trying anything.  But he didn't. Instead he calmly said he should ask her father how he controlled her mother. His words of unladylike habits and where Flavia had gotten them at least could be retorted back with ease.

"Oh, that's a no-brainer," she fired back at him. "I get them from you..."

She waited until he was out of the room before she found a broom and swept up the broken shards from the vase. Even if her husband could rile her temper with his remarks she still didn't want to see him cut himself on broken pottery. And she didn't want to cut herself either. Gathering the broken pottery shards she carried them off to a place which seemed to be the place to gather trash and dumped them there.

After brushing off her hands, she went to pick a room for herself and unpack the things she had brought with her. Her room was not as huge as Rasul's, but it was big enough for her needs and even had an adjacent room she could use as a toilet so she didn't have to leave her room for such needs in the middle of the night. Being scared of the darkness this was an excellent choice for the young girl.  A large bed with curtains was placed on one wall, and there was also a nice fireplace which would keep the room warm on cold nights. In the corner there was a large closet where Flavia could keep her clothes, and she noticed with satisfaction that she also had a writing desk here for writing of letters.

A brief inspection of her surrounding rooms told her that the room next door could be used as a salon for her to receive guests and also read when she wished to be alone. There were lots of bookshelves there, with plenty of material for her to read. She smiled pleased when she also noticed that the bookshelf had room for her own books, and she carried them inside and started placing them right away. In the salon there was also a large sofa and a large table, a couple smaller chairs and a couple corner tables. She was quite certain she could use this as a combined salon and library. 

She also needed a place to set up her weaving chair. She liked spending time weaving beautiful fabrics of excellent quality, clothes that were fitting for people of her own noble class. Not many people knew that Flavia knew how to sew, knit and weave. It was a secret passion she had, just like the cooking. These things happened when her mother left her to the servants rather than bringing her up herself. She would have asked Rasul for help, but at the moment she couldn't stand the thought of seeing his face again....

At least that was what she was thinking until she heard the rumbling of thunder right above her head and she saw the blue-white lightening flaring across the sky outside. Her face turned white, and she gave a loud squeak of fear as she rushed towards Rasul's bedroom as fast as her legs could carry her.

She whimpered in fear as she saw the second blast of lightening, and for the first time in her life she was relieved to see the door open and the sight of her husband lent up against the doorframe. She could see a look of mild amusement in his eyes, and her jaws dropped when she realized that her husband had a sense of humour. Her own eyes started twinkling with suppressed laughter, and her lips curled up in a smile - the first she had ever given him. Then she started laughing, tears of mirth filling her eyes, and she had to lean against the doorway until she was able to speak again.

"I am sorry for what I said to you earlier, Rasul" she apologized gently. "And I apologize for disturbing you so late..." She shuddered and moved closer to him when yet another lightening flashed across the sky. "The storm... it scares me... Could I please..."

She looked up at him, a pleading expression in her eyes. "Could I please stay with you tonight? I am afraid of thunder and lightening and darkness, and now we have all three at once..."

Coma

**Ironically, of the two of them, Flavia was likely much more self-sufficient than Rasul.  He had absolutely no knowledge of cooking and would likely be quite stuck should the need arise for him to ever cook for himself.  Still, with luck, there was enough ready-made food in the pantry to keep them both for a while at least.  Growing up, their servants had done all the cooking and food was brought to him regularly with him having done nothing to contribute.  It was true that he had learnt to hunt, as most noble gentlemen did, but the preparing of the catch for eating was far beyond his knowledge.  After all – cooking and housework was meant for womenfolk.  Why should a man be troubled with it, especially when other things drew his attention away?**

**It was just as well that his new wife had patience for such things; although it would have confused him immeasurably that she did – surely she had servants growing up as well? Why would she ever need to cook?  Regardless, it would prove fortuitous enough that she could, so he would likely opt not to question it.  He was beginning to understand that Flavia was a strange girl in many ways – gently patient and compassionate despite her ill-placed wit and fire.  He could well imagine her observing the servants and slaves and learning their trade from them.  Hmm... perhaps when her parents had died, he could sell her into slavery... that, at least, would rid him of her...**

**At the very least, he would need to find a way to silence her tongue – it was amazing that she had gotten through life speaking to men the way she did.  Since they were to be forced to have children together, he was already quite certain that he would not tolerate any daughters – not when they were likely to be as thorny and difficult as their mother.  It was only a shame that he needed to have any children at all with this woman... but he knew well enough that his own father had insisted on that clause in order to continue the family line.  As if one of his brothers couldn't do it.  Why couldn't they have made Kamuel marry this annoying girl?  Why did he have to be burdened with her?  It wasn't fair...**

**At least he had managed to rise above her insults and remarks.  It remained unbelievable to him that she was so wrapped up in her studies and qualifications.  Why the hell would her father allow her to follow her brother into medical school?  She had no place in the medical world – she was a woman!  Without a male sponsorship, she had no chance of even an interview in that profession... perhaps her father had been willing to vouch for her in exchange for her good behavior.  Rasul had no intention of pandering to her in this way.  She would behave – that was all there was to it.**

**At least she was trained enough to clean up after her little tantrum – that would save him from forcing her to tidy up after herself later.  He was an observant man and it would have been very likely that he would have spotted the sharp shards of pottery... but he didn't doubt that she would likely fall over her own feet and hurt herself...**

**Perhaps he had been a little too quick to leave her... he likely should have insisted on picking a room out for her himself – that way he could keep an eye on her and ensure she behaved as she should.  Perhaps he should have even insisted that they share a connected room... but no, maybe in time.  If the storm did linger, they would likely be stuck here for some time anyway – things could always be rearranged and reorganized.  There was still time to force her to take a room closer to his own.**

**It would have amused him that she had chosen other rooms as well as her sleeping chambers – as if having a salon and a library were immeasurably important to her.  Had he known that she was planning for a library as well, he might well have denied her this.  Women had no place reading too much – it only led to ideas being planted in their heads and false beliefs that they were equal to their male counterparts.  As far as Rasul was concerned, she had far too much freedom to do such things in her parents' home.  It would take some doing to force her into the obedient complacency that was expected of her.**

**He continued to explore his own room, investigating the huge wardrobe and the desk; brushing a hand across the fine ivory basin and the huge four-poster bed.  He reached out for the linen, dumping it unceremoniously on the plush crimson carpet.  He'd make do with a couple of blankets tonight – he had little patience for actually making the bed.  So long as he was warm, what did it matter?**

**Outside, the storm began to settle right above them – the rain pelted hard against the roof and the wind howled around the windows.  He ought to go out and make sure that everything was secure; but he was quite sure that her parents would have ensured that much... so he would check in the morning.  An angry roar of thunder startled him from thoughts of this abandoned responsibility, a beautiful flash of cobalt blue washing over the room for a moment as the lightning cracked through the darkened sky.  Unlike his wife, he loved storms – this one could rumble on for hours for all he cared.**

**It likely shouldn't have surprised him that she had come dashing to his room – yet given the angry words that she had fired at him earlier; it was surprising that her pride hadn't stopped her.  He had opened the door, his comment regarding the stable had been half-serious; but she found it absolutely hilarious.  As she giggled away, he remained quite deadpan; patiently waited for her to regain her composure.  It was surprising that her first words were an apology to him... and he allowed a nod of his head in acceptance.  He would allow her his forgiveness this time – but should she make the mistake of insulting him again, she would not receive such patience from him.**

**She stepped closer to her as another bolt of lightning blasted, accompanied by a roll of thunder.  She admitted her fear and he squirreled that knowledge away in his cruel mind.  She certainly feared a lot of things... and her fear of the dark could well be used against her, even if there was no storm to intensify it further...**

"Is there anything you don't fear?"

**He stepped away from the door, allowing her entrance into the room with a quick nod of his head.**

"Only if you don't start another fight."

Wild

While Rasul had not worried for them not having enough food, Flavia did not worry about the fact that there was no ready-made food in the pantry. She had found all the ingredients she needed to bake bread, and to prepare all the other meals they would need for a long time. She had been with the servants of her household for long enough to know how the preparation for the catch after the hunt was done. Strangely this work was the thing that had released her wish to become a doctor when she grew up. She knew how to work with meat, with fish and with birds, and she was quite good at it, having found her own way to work fast and accurate.

Flavia would probably have frowned if she knew about her husbands plans to sell her into slavery to get rid of her after the death of her parents. If she had known she would have reminded him that he would lose the annual pension from her family fund since she would no longer be by his side. The pension would only be paid as long as they were both alive and together. Flavia knew that her father had a lawyer to keep track of such documents for him, and that the law firm would keep paying the pension for as long as the marriage lasted.

But in this moment she was sorting through her belongings, happily unaware of any gloomy plans her husband might have for the future. She started working out some plans on her own. Now that she was married and out of her father's way, she could keep up with her studies from home. Being only 16 years old and a sheltered girl, she did not know that it was expected that she and Rasul would have children - much less did she know how they would have these children. So far no man had never been close enough to touch her, much less kiss her. She would probably have been in great shock if she found out that Rasul would have to sleep with her.

Flavia smiled when she caressed her school books and placed them with pride in her book shelves. The reason why she had been allowed to study was that she had caught her father with a lady of rather poor reputation. Now she used that piece of information to blackmail her father into paying for her education. As long as he paid her school money and allowed her the schools she wanted, she would keep her mouth shut in the presence of Lady Bathory. Perhaps her marriage to Rasul was a kind of punishment for that blackmailing....

Little did she know that her husband already planned to force her to take a room closer to his own, and she would probably have hated the reason for why she had to stay this close to him. She could have understood if he loved her and wanted to be close to her, but she knew that he hated her just as much as she hated him. And she would absolutely hate to feel controlled.

She forgot all her frowns about the wedding though, when the rain pelted hard against the roof and the wind howled around the windows. She suddenly found herself grateful to have a strong man in the house - even if it was Rasul. Her face was pale with fear when she heard the thunder, and she would have given anything to have a day of nice weather instead. But nooo, her father HAD to marry her off the day before the worst thunderstorm ever....

Luckily Rasul seemed to accept her apology when she came running to his door, and she moved closer to him when the next roaring of thunder sounded right above them. It was easy to see on her pale face and in her big, frightened eyes that she was not just playing. The trembling in her body with each rumbling sound of thunder was very real, the same was her squeak of fear every time a new lightening lit up the sky outside the window.

"I am sure I will remember what I don't fear when I feel less afraid," she whimpered and scurried past him when he allowed her entrance into his room. "Thank you, Rasul, I won't start another fight - I promise..."

She entered his room and looked around, trying to calm down in spite of her fears. "Nice room," she said in an attempt to break the ice between them. "Very fitting for the Lord of the Mansion."

Coma

**Oddly enough, Rasul would in some ways be actually quite irritated by his wife's talents in the kitchen – after all, why would they have servants if she could just do all the work like some common peasant wife?  Of course, while it benefitted him, he was rather grateful for her ability... yet, in the future, he would certainly prevent her from associating too closely with the inferior classes.  With that in mind, he would have to put in place very clear boundaries between the servants and his wife – he already had the feeling that she was overly too friendly for her own good and it would be unacceptable and embarrassing for her to associate too closely with them.**

**He would also need to look at the contract that their fathers had drawn up a little more closely.  He prided himself on being a clever man and felt sure that there would be some loophole that he could exploit.  Undoubtedly, given the society they lived in, the contract would somewhat be swayed in his favour – given that it was written by men.  Compared to him, she would likely have very few rights and that suited him quite nicely.  True, he might be stuck with her... but that didn't mean he had to look after her...**

**As much as the idea wouldn't impress her; he didn't exactly find himself enthralled by the prospect of sleeping with Flavia either.  Yet, there was no denying that both their families would demand children – preferably boys, no doubt.  However, there didn't have to be a great rush for that... although, it might well be best to just get the obligation over and done with.  He allowed a sigh to lift his naturally-powerful shoulders and forced himself out of gloomy consideration for a moment.**

**He may not have been quite so negative had his own belongings been here to put away – he never should have left everything with his mother.  He should have insisted on bringing everything with him... but what was the point of lamenting it now?  It would only have taken an eternity to bring everything inside, after all... and by the way it was storming now, things would be rain-damaged and useless once they were brought in.  At least his possessions were safe where they were... hopefully.  It was only a shame that Flavia's own things hadn't been caught outside and ruined...**

**Her appearance at his door had obviously been quite a surprise... her apology presumably accepted; but her sharp tongue and stubbornness would be remembered for an incredibly lengthy period of time.  As another rumble of thunder roared above them, she stepped a little closer; trembling with terror.  Quite what she thought the storm was going to do to her was anyone's guess – phobias were very odd things...**

**As she entered the room, he pushed the door shut; letting it softly click behind them.  A tetchy smile intruded momentarily on his face when she promised not to start another argument; his comment kept that unusual sarcasm and a little shake of his head was given before he responded.**

"I'll believe that when I see it."

**As she complimented the room, he gave a very slight nod of thanks.  He made no comment on her observation of it suiting him as the new Lord of this place.  At least she knew that much.  His tone took on an edge of boredom, almost as if his own response was made out of hard-trained politeness and social obligation rather than actual interest...**

"Did you pick your room out?"

**Of course... she might well not keep that room for very long – if he did decide to move her closer to him.  Perhaps he would let that decision rest on how well she behaved... after all, blackmail was useful when dealing with the weaker sex sometimes...**