Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Walking the road of life can lead to amazing chances

Started by SilmeriaElemred, November 14, 2015, 03:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

*My name is Jeä. Can't believe I was so rude not to even tell my name.* the unicorn said with a chuckle.

''Well you were in quite a tricky situation earlier.'' Orion replied and gently patted the birds before accepting the berries with gratitude. He pondered then. ''How about, before Jeä returns home, I make a nice, hot meal. If of course, I have permission to forage for root vegetables and berries.''

DragonSong

Lula chuckled and gave a playfully regal nod, gesturing to the forest around them.

"Of course, help yourself." Sobering slightly, she took a step closer and asked, "Anything I can do to help?"

SilmeriaElemred

Orion pondered. ''Not that I know. We could forage with the three of us maybe?'' Orion said but the unicorn shook her head.

*I should head home to regain my strength. As amazing as your healing worked, I did lose a lot of blood and I need to rest up with my own herd for the time being. Do not worry though, I shall not become a stranger. You will owe me that dinner though. When I am back at full strength.*

''Deal.'' Orion said with a chuckle and got on his feet so he could offer Jeä a bow.

DragonSong

"Farewell, sister," Lula said with a smile and a nod. Then she turned to Orion and said, "You may have to show me what you like to eat. I'm afraid I don't often, so my tastes my be...strange."

SilmeriaElemred

Jeä bowed to both Lula and Orion. *Thank you for your help sister, and you too son of Solos.*
It was then her form started to become transparant and it was not long until she completely vanished.

''It was a pleasure meeting you Jeä'' Orion said and waved until she was fully gone. He waited with speaking for a moment and turned to Lula. ''It is alright if you do not like it. Only way to find out is to try right?'' he said with a smile. ''I will need carrots, potatoes and onions. A variety of herbs as well. But we can look together. Will be fun. It has been a while since I did things together with someone else.''

DragonSong

Lula smiled softly. "Alright then." Her brow furrowed and she said, "I'm not sure I know what carrots, potatoes, and onions are, but I can help with the herbs!"

Being a creature of water and fire, the earth was not her specialty. She'd sometimes seen wild hogs or small rodents digging up the roots of certain plants to eat, but she'd never bothered to learn what they were called.

SilmeriaElemred

''Then I will teach you.'' Orion said calmly and offered his hand for Lula to take.

Orion had clearly done this foraging more often as he found a variety of carrots and potatoes and onions. Explaining that with the potato that the berries were poisonous and how to cultivate everything they found.

Same with the herbs and other things he foraged such as mushrooms, a large root vegetable and after several hours they had everything he needed. ''Fortunatly my kin eats no meat. Most creatures do though.''

DragonSong

Lula nodded. She'd been trailing after Orion like a loyal puppy, eagerly soaking up the new information. Now she said, "Yes, but not here. The predators know this is a sanctuary, they won't hunt within a mile of the pond."

She was holding a potato, turning it over in her hands. She sniffed at it, then darted her tongue out to lick the surface.

She recoiled slightly, scrunching her face up. "Are you sure this is good to eat?" she asked him. "It mostly tastes like dirt."

SilmeriaElemred

Orion laughed. ''But of course. I will need to wash the dirt and clay off first and peel them. A lot of things can be done with potatoes. And depending on how you prepare them they will taste different too. I will stick around for a few days so if you like I can let you taste a variety of various potato dishes. Small amounts though since you are not used to eating much. Food wise I only prepare of what I know I will actually eat. That way I never have to throw anything away. I find that such a waste.''

DragonSong

Lula blushed slightly, feeling foolish. But she smiled when he said he would stay for a few days. "I look forward to it," she told him brightly.

And she did. He was the first creature she'd met like herself- even if he wasn't exactly like her- and while the people of the forest were of course excellent company, she found herself fascinated by him.

SilmeriaElemred

With water and a sharp knife, Orion started to clean the carrots and potatoes. Cutting them in small pieces and put them in a cookingpot. With exception of a few smaller blocks which he put in a smaller pan. He cut the onions and a few other root vegetables.

''Right. Fire... any wood I can use without upsetting any forest spirits?'' Orion asked. ''It after all has to cook for a good while.''

DragonSong

Lula nodded to a large pine tree several lengths away from the pond. "Her lower branches are dead, they will fall anyway. She wouldn't mind if you took them."

SilmeriaElemred

Orion nodded and went to the tree after retrieving an axe from his supplies. He did not cut right away though. He placed his hand on the trunk gently. ''Although Lula said it was alright I figured it would be good to ask you permission to take the dead branches from you for a small fire. I can imagine the feeling of an axe is not exactly pleasant though... so understand if you'd refuse and rather wait for them to fall. Would I get permission though I shall spread the ashes from the wood over your soil.'' he spoke calmly. He could not forge mental links with trees so well as some others of his kin but he was wise enough to know that a forest was alive and should be respected.

DragonSong

Lula watched curiously, then smiled when she realized what he was doing. "She says they are like an itch," she told the elf. "Sometimes scratching the itch hurts, but it brings relief. She doesn't mind, truly."

SilmeriaElemred

''Alright.'' Orion spoke and spoke a silent thank you before he used his axe to cut off the dead branches for as well he could reach them. Not all would be fire wood but the wood he would not use would decay and turn into soil again or a source for mushrooms.

With stones he found at the pond he made a circle and filled the inside with sand before he put the wood on it so he could get a fire going. Once he had, and the fire was hot enough he put the large pan on it so the contends could heat up and boil. Cutting the herbs came after that,

DragonSong

Lula watched the process with curiosity, settling herself next to the fire as he began cutting. "What can I do?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.

SilmeriaElemred

''You can cut the herbs if you like?'' Orion said with a smile. ''I will heat up some extra water for a cup of mint tea if you want. Although mint tea is not exactly a tea but more of a herbal drink. It is still good regardless.''

DragonSong

She set about to this new task with interest. She'd never handled a blade before, and it was awkward in her hand. She managed to cut the herbs alright though, even if it was a bit sloppy.

"There." She sat back with a small smile when she was done. Her brow crinkled at him and she asked, "What is this mint tea then? Why does the water need to be hot?"

SilmeriaElemred

''If you combine herbs with hot water, the flavour and several effects will move from the plant into the water. Mint for example is refreshing where lavender is calming. With hot water it goes faster then with cold water. Also most of the time it tastes better when drinking it warm. Mint tea or Chamomille are very nice if you have a cold.'' Orion explained. He took the herbs and put a part of it in the gravy and the rest with the vegetables.

DragonSong

Fascinated, Lula nodded along as he explained. "Where do you learn all these things?" she asked wonderingly. What was common knowledge to most was obscure to her, and she didn't think that perhaps it was just a part of life outside of her forest.