Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Walking the road of life can lead to amazing chances

Started by SilmeriaElemred, November 14, 2015, 03:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

''Books. And hearing things from other people.'' Orion replied calmly. ''Or finding things out for yourself of course. I have been lucky though with the fact there is a school in my hometown where knowledge is transfered from one person to many others with or without the help of books. But cooking for example, is not something that can be told to someone who can then do it right away. It is something you need to practise.''

DragonSong

There were several words she didn't know in what he said, but only one that she couldn't infer a meaning for. "Books?" she repeated curiously, scooting closer. "What is books?"

SilmeriaElemred

''A book or books in plural, contain words and sometimes words with drawings. Those who can write, put all kinds of words in them. Sometimes they are stories. Made up stories or things they have been through. And there are fairy tales. But there are also books with knowledge which explain how certain things need to be done. Like how to make clothes or potions. There are also books containing information about flora and fauna.'' Orion explained.

DragonSong

Her eyes grew wider and wider as he spoke, and she blinked in awe and confusion. "Words..." she repeated. "You mean- people can make words...stay? The sounds don't just fade away? Is that what writing is?"

She began to talk faster the more excited she became, reaching out unconsciously to grab his arm, eyes shining.

SilmeriaElemred

Orion nodded. ''I do not have my quill, ink or parchment so I will use an illusion for now to show you.'' he said and made sure that the food would not burn.

With illusion magic he created a vial of ink, a sheet of parchment and a quill. He dipped the illusionairy quill in the vial of ink and 'wrote' down a couple of words.

''A quill is usually made of a feather, metal or glass. We dip it in the ink and write on the parchment. And it can be read over and over again. If you have a lot of sheets filled with words or illustrations and bind them together, you have a book.''

It felt really strange to write in this fashion though. Since after all he did not touch anything.

''It is also possible to write in sand or on the soil. Some even write by carving in the barks from trees. I am not fond of the latter. Despite permanent it hurts the tree I'm sure. But when you write in dirt or sand it of course will fade in time.''

DragonSong

Lula watched with unabashed fascination. Looking up at him, she said eagerly, "Can you teach me? Not with an illusion, I mean really teach me."

She glanced around. "I don't have...parchment, but we could make something work, right?" Her eyes were about the size of saucers at this point, the fire in them leaping and glinting excitedly.

SilmeriaElemred

''Of course I can teach you. I would love to teach you how to read and write.'' he pondered. ''I will need to go to a settlement though to get some materials. I am not sure though since it depends on wether you want to, are allowed to and are able to but I could show you how well. Mortals live. There will be some rules though if you are coming with me. The main one being not to touch anything or run off into random directions. At the least those are mistakes I had made the first time I saw a town other then the one I grew up in.''

The illusions vanished and Orion stirred the mash pot and gravy some more. Both getting thicker.

DragonSong

"Go?"

She considered it. She'd never left before, but she didn't think that meant she couldn't. And to be honest, the idea sent a thrill of excitement through her. A smile started to spread across her face. "Yes. Yes, if you'll take me along, I promise I'll do whatever you say."

She beamed, drawing her legs up to wrap them around and sit with them curled under her. Excitement was accompanied by worry though- she'd never left her forest before- and to distract herself she leaned toward the food, sniffing curiously.

Her eyes widened a bit. "That smells really good!"

SilmeriaElemred

''It is almost ready to eat.'' Orion assured.

He took two wooden spoons and bowls from his supplies. ''I will tell you this though. The first time I was also a little bit scared. Out of exitement I ran all over the place. So it is safe to say that with you it would be an idea to hold hands. Not all people are nice either but most of them are. Some may even actually look scary but they have a really good personality. And then there are also people who look really trustworthy but are really mean. But I will do everything I can to make sure you can enjoy it.''

He stirred the food a bit more before taking the pans of the fire and set them on stones. Puting some of the mash pot and gravy in each bowl. ''Careful it is still hot.'' he said as he passed one bowl and spoon to Lula.

DragonSong

She took the bowl and spoon and looked them over curiously, not quite sure what she was supposed to do with the utensil. She watched Orion to figure it out, and hesitantly followed his lead.

The food was hot, but that didn't bother her. Lula's eyes widened at the first bite- though she didn't need to eat, she did on occasion and found that she rather enjoyed the flavors on her tongue. But she'd never tasted anything other than nuts, berries, some herbs maybe.

She took another bite, making happy little sounds in the back of her throat. It was different, but good.

SilmeriaElemred

Orion chuckled. ''Glad that you like it. It would still be alright if you didn't though. There are plenty of things of which I do not like the taste off.''

During his meal he took a little break to pour hot water into two cups and put some mint leaves in them. ''This is really good with honey in it but I sort of ran out.'' He admitted. ''It is good without it too though.''

He had not realised until now it was already dusk. Then again, foraging had taken quite a while too.

DragonSong

Lula took the tea eagerly, sniffing it, tilting the cup to watch the liquid move, turning it in her hands, poking a finger at it, and finally bringing it to her lips.

"Good!" she exclaimed again, pleasantly surprised. She'd never bothered to try to eat mint before, and was surprised it had such a strong flavor.

SilmeriaElemred

''Mint is very refreshing also during a hot day.'' Orion noted. ''We can make multiple cups from the same leaves though. So not to fear, we will not run out any time soon. And if we are we can pluck new leaves.''

Despite enjoying his meal he did finish eating rather quickly cleaning his bowl as good as he could with his spoon. But he would have to clean it with water later. ''What of the world outside of your forest would you like to know more about? You can ask me anything. I do not have all the answers but I will do my best.''

DragonSong

That was a difficult question. She thought about it, then said slowly, "Well...I've never actually been anywhere that could be considered outside here." She hardly even left her little grove. "In that illusion you showed me, there weren't a lot of trees- is that common? How do people take shelter? what grows there if not trees?"

SilmeriaElemred

''People build houses from wood and stone. Some houses are small, others are large. Some live solitary. Alone or just their family and provide for themselves by keeping lifestock. But more often is a village or a city. A village is multiple houses near eachother and everyone has their own jobs. A baker for example makes bread. A farmer grows and harvests vegetables like we just ate but on a larger scale. A herder tends to animals for milk, wool, meats or hides. A blacksmith provides everyone with tools. There often is also a spokesperson. A leader so to say. A city is larger then a village and can have multiple people with the same profession to provide everyone with what they need. I for example come from a village. Only my race does keep animals but do not use them for hides or meat. Also some villages and cities have things others do not and so they trade.''

DragonSong

That was a lot of information to digest, and yet she still wanted to know more. But glancing around, she realized it was getting late and tilted her head at him.

"Should you sleep?" she asked, genuinely curious as she normally had no need to do so.

SilmeriaElemred

''Oh I slept quite well last night. Elves as far as I know are able to endure with less sleep and do not nessesarily have to sleep every night.'' Orion assured. ''Also it is still quite early in the night.''

He finished his tea and heated up some more water so he could make them another serving of tea later

DragonSong

"Then can I ask more questions?" she said eagerly, scooting toward him. She didn't want to be a bother, but if he was willing to talk there were so many more things she wanted to know.

SilmeriaElemred

''Of course ask ahead. Anything you'd like. And if I d not know something I'll be sure to let you know that too.'' he assured.

DragonSong

She thought about her next question carefully, then asked, "What's the place you've been that's the most different from here, from the forest?"