Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Masquerade - Phantom faces on parade... [M] [ @Silvertongue ]

Started by Wild, November 16, 2015, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild

It had been two years since Lady Flavia Bathory-Syron had married her husband Lord Rasul Syron. Even if she had problems in her own marriage, she still could not refuse when she was invited to the wedding of one of her best childhood friends. After the wedding ceremony there should be a masquerade ball, and this was the glittering event Lady Flavia had accepted to be a part of.

Today was a double reason for celebration. Not only was her best friend getting married, but today was also Lady Flavia's 18th birthday. With the permission of her kind mother-in-law, Flavia attended to the wedding masquerade ball.  The ball was glorious, the ballroom filled with guests in glittering outfits and with smiling faces.

Flavia needed some time to laugh and have fun after being forced into a marriage of her own with a man she did not love. She and her female friends laughed and danced with each other. They were all dressed up in elegant ball gowns, each and every one of them complimented with paper masks in all shapes and colors.

Flavia herself had chosen a bit different path than her other friends who had chosen more traditional carnival costumes. While they dressed up as noble ladies of the court with white paper masks, Flavia dressed up as a bellydancer, in an outfit that revealed very little to the imagination, and with a light veil in front of her lower face.

The group of young, beautiful girls were soon discovered by other men, who started flirting with them. Flavia giggled and flirted back, but it was all in very modest forms, just stolen glances and secret smiles.

The young girl suddenly felt as if something... or someone was watching her. She turned her head and looked around, but she couldn't see anyone. So why did she feel so... watched?

josephalexandre

He was fashionably late, yet even so Rahim lingered just one more moment in the hallway outside, desiring at least some hollow illusion of control before he'd toss himself into the ballroom, along with the mass of people he knew he would inevitably be drawn to like a moth were always drawn towards the light. But unlike the moth, temptation was provided him not by the gentle illumination of lamps or candlesticks - it was the presence of the people themselves, and the blood running inside their veins. Oh, he could sense the natural flow of this delicious liquid sheltered by their fragile bodies like it had its own distinctive smell - and it was enough to drive him mad with lust, even if he had been so careful as to grab himself a snack before he arrived.

The sensual creature took a sharp breath, knowing that his absence would surely be noticed, and in time questioned by the host if he did not show himself as one of the guests very soon. He knew well the bride's father, as well as the groom and his father - all of them being valuable patrons and acquaintances to which he wanted to keep a good connection.

At last he entered the room, making sure his appearance was flawless and impressive as could be. His costume carried much inspiration from the tales of old rulers and warriors of the land; and the long sabre he carried by the belt was indeed real - alas, unfit for its once intended use these days, it existed mainly as a decoration.

Quite as Rahim had expected upon entering the crowded area, he felt something akin to what a lion would have to feel threading among the grazing pack of zebras; if one imagined the lion attempting to pass off as one of his prey, all the while his primeval instincts whispered sweet secrets into his ear, and reminded him of all the ways in which he could never truly become a zebra.
There was in a way a feline quality to the noble Essyrni vampire, aside from the metaphor; from the look deep within his brown eyes to the way he carried himself with the raw, suppressed energy of such an elegant creature. Rahim allowed that air of dignity to remain a part of his presentation even as he treated his fellow guests generously; with a profound sense of good manners and grace.

A delighted smile grabbed a hold of his face while he diverted himself watching the young ladies group together, innocently smiling and dancing whilst tossing subtle gazes at the men. They of course received similar glances in return; the men with little doubt being interested in the game. It also appealed to Rahim, who stepped forth almost as on a whim. The women's faces were undeniably pleasant to look at, and their bodies well-shaped and seductive. Whomever made it off with any of these bejeweled maidens in the end would be a lucky fellow, by all means. Their male relatives would do very wisely to keep an eye on their ladies, lest it could well happen out of wedlock. Oh no, we wouldn't want that, would we?

"Pardon Miladies, I am looking to congratulate the lucky young bride, that would not happen to be one of you, would it?" Rahim inquired as he stepped out of the crowd, allowing himself to be admired as an individual rather than adding to the general blur of anonymous bodies all around them. He offered a courteous bow in the women's direction, his eyes already reflecting an innermost flame of desire when he greeted them; marvelling at their beauty as he spoke.

Wild

Flavia was standing among her group of friends, laughing and chatting when she noticed a man dressed up as a Sultan entering the room. The man had a powerful aura around him, and his looks alone were rather attractive. Her friends noticed him too, letting out an impressed "oooooh" as they swooned over his handsome face and body. Flavia kept herself calm, deciding that when her friends seemed so willing and easy to pick, she would be the one playing hard-to-get. After all, she was a married woman now, and should stay loyal to her husband.

The other girls squealed with delight when this handsome specimen of a man made his way towards them, each and every one of them trying to catch his interest by dancing and swirling around in a pathetic attempt to look beautiful. It ended with one of them tripping in her own skirts and dragging the others with her in her fall, so the row of girls toppled over like a set of domino bricks.

Flavia, being the only one who had not joined this line to dance stood and watched while her friends made fools of themselves, her face expressing a mixture of amusement and pity as they laid there basking on the floor and struggling to get back up on their feet again.

Being the last of the group still standing, she was the one turning calmly towards the man when he came over to talk to them, expressing his wish to congratulate the bride.

"I am afraid you are a bit too late, Mylord," she replied gently as she bowed politely towards him, the manner a trained bellydancer would greet her Sultan. "The bride and groom left the room about one hour ago - they could not take their eyes away from each other. But the bride is one of my best childhood friends, so I speak with her often. Is there anything I can do for you?"

josephalexandre

If only these girls weren't such idiots, Rahim caught himself thinking as the young ladies tripped over one another in the attempt to make themselves seem more attractive to his eyes. Ironically his fascination for their beauty was dwindling from the second they decided to put their bodies up for sale; though he might argue that if he had been practically starving for the next source of blood to ensure his survival, he might still have felt a certain satisfaction in feeding until there was no more left but an empty husk - their veins dry as old rope and their eyes lifeless and dull for all eternity. Wait, what would be the difference, again?

However, these adorable young maidens were useless in any other regard, and none of them would even begin to interest him more than a shapely marble sculpture with the likeness of a woman's beauty, or perhaps a painting made by some amateur imitating one of the grand masters. Which meant that while their female attributes might be a soft cushion to rest ones gaze on for a moment, any social interaction made with them would serve only to -- No, his point would rather be never to engage in something so futile.
Rahim was more than his lust for flesh; at a certain point he craved as well intelligent conversation and a company who actually knew how to respond, and generally act as if she had a brain inside her pretty little head. Also he rather enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. And indeed such females could be hard to come by here in Essyrn, given how most were raised traditionally to be somebody's future wife; and it seemed that many men feared the idea of their intellect being rivalled or even surpassed by a woman.

What a pity.

The vampire on the other hand enjoyed seeing signs that a woman was more than what her father and husband made her out to be. It made his pleasure all the more intense...
The smile returned to his face the next minute, when he noticed the stunning seductress watching her forlorn friends with a sparkle in her eyes, as if she pitied their sad fate while struggling hard not to burst out laughing. And he had to agree it was hard not to laugh, watching them sprawled across the floor, gasping like fishes out of water.

"Oh, that is regrettable then," he lamented once the woman dressed as a belly dancer informed him that the young bride and her husband had already left the party. "I was hoping to arrive in time to do so myself, but I appear to be out of luck tonight. If you would, please do further my sincere apologies for being so late; and let your friend and her husband both know that I wish them a joyous future. I am very happy to hear they've been starting their marriage so eagerly, I hope they will remain as happy as they must have been today."

Rahim remained very much in character while he spoke, looking deeply into the eyes of the fair dancer. His own gaze radianced the color of scorched sand against hers, and the smile resting on his lips were that of a sultan nodding in approval of his favorite courtesan. Even if the cackling hens had regained the use of their feet by this time, any further attempts made to collect his favor would be met only with a cold unresponsiveness cemented onto his face.

"It is regrettable indeed that I could not make it to the ball sooner than this - but then, no one told me I would have quite so pleasant company..."

Wild

Flavia watched the scene her young friends caused by toppling over like domino bricks and flashing their underwear in the process. She heard them screaming as they landed on top of each other, and she turned away, glad that she had hidden the lower part of her face behind a veil so nobody at this party could recognize her later.

The reunion with this group of childhood friends had made her realize how little she and they had in common, and for the first time of her life she started asking herself how they have became her friends in the first place...

Clearly I have become more selective in my choice of friends since my childhood....

The first difference was quite obvious: She had a brain while they happily agreed to being the loving, aimable featherbrains their parents wanted them to be - easily married off to any man who was willing to pay the price for a bride of good family.

Then why was she, the only in this flock of young girls who never wanted a husband, the only one among them who was married? She, who wanted nothing more than to become a doctor and help her people, was sent away from her beloved school to be married off to a man she had never asked for. Life could be so unfair....

Her thoughts returned to the presence when the man in front of her lamented over the bride and groom having retreated to the bridal suite for some privacy. She smiled sweetly when he asked her to bring his greetings to the two newlyweds, bowing her head in acceptance.

"I would be more than glad to bring forwards your greetings to my friend and her husband, Sir," she replied calmly. "But tell me first: whom do I have the honor of addressing? I fear my friend would only be confused if I brought forwards your greetings, saying it was from the man at the party. As you may see for yourself there are many people here tonight..."

She noticed how the man looked deeply into her eyes when he spoke, and she could not help being drawn into his own gaze, which carried the color of scorched sand in the desert. In the background her group of friends had finally managed to stumble back up on their feet, and they did their best to attract this man's attention by their charming smiles and flirtatious glances. Flavia, however, smiled secretly under her veil when the man apologized for not being able to make it to the ball sooner, speaking of having such pleasant company.

"Ah, and a company who has forgotten her manners, I'm afraid," she laughed and made a deep curtsy. "My name is Lady Flavia Bathory-Syron, the youngest daughter of Lord and Lady Bathory, Count and Countess of Essyrn, and wife of Lord Rasul Syron..."

josephalexandre

A pleasant laugh escaped his lips once the young woman made an inquiry for his name - a perfectly reasonable one at that! The question only infuriated him because of his personal pride holding the subject of etiquette at such high regards; and wanting little more at an occasion like this than to appear impeccable, well polished and above reproach. Tonight however, he had failed horribly, and the knowledge disturbed him quite a bit.

"Forgive me, Milady," he uttered apologetically, and far humbler than his royal garments would indicate; feeling that he had already brought shame upon his costume. Now the most sensible approach was to abandon arrogance confidence, and play the flawed king addressing a being of greater beauty and power than his own.

"It was not my intention to whithold my name from you. I am Rahim Dareios Farzaad, head of the Farzaad trading company, and humbly at your service." The vampire extended a bow as to illustrate his words, and upon proceeding the conversation a moment later by complimenting her presence; the troubled smile on his face grew into an expression far more genuine. He still couldn't tell whether or not she appeared to be forgetting her manners on purpose, as if to make his own social incompetency less burdensome, but it was nonetheless charming.

"We seem to be suffering the same ailment, tonight, Milady" he softly noted; a hint of amusement very much present in his voice, and in those dark, brown eyes which studied her so carefully. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and to learn about the union of the noble families Bathory and Syron. I am afraid the news did not quite catch up with my excessive travelling, but I am happy to hear about it. I trust you are well off with the young Lord?"

He hoped too that the question would be well within her comfort zone - Surely the  couple had at least a hopeful attitude towards their situation, and some attraction to start; given how they both found themselves standing at the very peak of youth and beauty, yet. Well, she was extraordinarily beautiful to his eyes. Her husband probably inherited the look of his family - which at best made him a perfectly ordinary representative of the Essyrnian male population. But then, Rahim realized he never was the audience intended to gush about the physical attributes of another man.