Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The shifter in the woods (open)

Started by Amorida, December 09, 2015, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorida

At first, Ephi shied away from his hand, confused by this stranger's kindness. After a few seconds, she recalled how he had somehow stopped her from... changing. She weakly lifted her hand and let it fall into his. His hand was cool and soft. Though she didn't speak, she nodded to him gratefully, as a sort of temporary thank you.

Kalak8538

He helped the poor lady up, and guided her over to own couch. Glaring at the fireplace, the Mr. Ikka slightly (and discretely) intensified the flame with his magic. Now with the room warmer and brighter, he sat his host down on the worn out couch, and draped one of the blankets over her shoulders.

"Are you alright, my dear? How do you feel?"

Amorida

Ephi blinked a few times, noticing the fire growing larger seemingly of its own accordance. Assuming her tired mind was imagining things, she made a thoughtful sound, not really a word, but a small noise. Her breathing had returned to normal, but she was still trembling. She turned to Mr. Ikka, sitting beside her, and looking at her in a way, no one had in a long time.

"How?" she asked in a small voice.

Kalak8538

There was a small peep from the frightened girl. Finally, she spoke. Had it not been for the questioning at the front door, Mr. Ikka would have assumed that his host was simply not able to speak. She asked how, but that question did not have enough substance for the man to answer. How what? He inquired in his normal calm and kind voice.

"Come again, miss?"

Amorida

Ephi's voice was small. "How did you stop.... It... So easily?" Ephi wrapped the blanket around her shoulders tighter, shivering despite the fire and blankets.

Kalak8538

"Ah... The answer to that is simple."

He looked into the fire, keeping it nice and hot. To answer his host's question, he turned his head and focused on her. He was happy to assist, but he could not take complete credit.

"I did not." he said with a friendly grin.

"You did. I merely showed you the way."

He stood up then. She probably had more questions for him, but now was not the time to answer them. There would be time tomorrow. She needed proper rest. He held out his hand once more, to help her up.

"The hour is late, miss. You need your rest."

Amorida

Ephi nodded, practically already falling asleep. As she accepted her guest's help, it was with more ease than before, but her body was visibly trembling with exhaustion. With her guest's assistance, she hobbled into her bedroom and fell into her bed, asleep within a few seconds. Her dreams were odd, replaying her thoughts as she herself stopped the change from happening for the first time in her life.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka rose with dawn's first light. As the rising sun illuminated the room, he rose from his place on the couch. From what he could tell, his host was still asleep. He crept over to the door, and opened it as quietly as he could, so as to not wake her.

Once outside, he closed the door with the same caution. His intention was not to leave. Not yet. The poor girl was suffering here alone. He would not abandon her. There was still more help to give.

He found a nice wooden chair, swept off the residual water droplets from the seat, and sat down. The forest was nice and serene. The sun left a nice glow on the trees. The birds were singing from the branches, and small animals were skittering around in the underbrush. There was even a pleasant scent in the air.

"She definately could not have picked a better spot to settle in." he said quietly, before taking in a deep breath. Even the beast kept quiet, perhaps enjoying this just as much as the man was.

Amorida

Ephi woke slowly to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. Morning sunlight filtered through her window, illuminating the dust floating past the window. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. For a second, she didn't recall what had happened the previous night, until memories hit her like a tidal wave. She remembered Mr. Ikka and went out into the living room. Blankets were on the couch, but there wasn't a person to go with them.

Ephi wandered from room to room in the cabin, searching for him, and eventually made her way outside. She was startled by the man, peacefully sitting outside.

Kalak8538

"Good morning, miss." the old man greeted, just as kindly as always.

The young woman certainly looked better. She must have slept well. This made Mr. Ikka glad, which he showed with his usual smile.

"How are you feeling?"

Amorida

Ephi shrugged and leaned against the house next to him. Why was he being so kind after what he saw? She kept glancing at her nails, waiting for them to change again, but they stayed the normal human peach color and she felt no stirring.

Kalak8538

He noticed his host's obsession with her nails. She was thinking about last night.

"Alright..."

Mr. Ikka rose from the chair with and audible grunt, and offered it to the woman. He wanted her to be comfortable for this next part.

"Perhaps the time has come, my dear... If you can, would you mind telling me more about what happened last night? I apologize if it is painful, but I believe I can help you."

She may have needed more time, and he was not about to force her to reveal painful memories. However, to help her with whatever problem this was, she needed to be willing to open up to him.

Amorida

Ephi shook her head, and stayed leaning against the building. She thought about whether she should tell this almost complete stranger the one thing she swore to herself that she'd never speak aloud of. But this man did help her to stop the change, something no one's ever even attempted to do, much less succeed.

Ephi recalled the stirring moving to her chest, her nails changing, and that was all that changed last night. Ephi made her decision and hugged herself, rubbing her upper arms while deciding how to start.

"Um.." she muttered, barely audible. She took a deep breath. "Have you heard of... people... ''shifting'' before?"

Ephi warily watched Mr. Ikka's reaction.

Kalak8538

The old man continued standing. He found it rude, and a bit awkward, to sit when his host stood. Mr. Ikka grinned at the question. His timid host was beginning to come out of her shell. A few words was a good start. Something like this could not have been easy to talk about, especially to a complete stranger.

"I believe I have seen it, just last night." he gave a slight chuckle. Comedy was not something he used often, but hopefully, it would lift the woman's spirits a bit.

"My dear, I have travelled around this continent more times than can be counted. I have seen many strange things. Believe me, transformation is a relatively common ability."

His smile faded, but his face was far from serious.

Amorida

"What?" Ephi breathed. It was common? She wasn't the only one? Without another word, ephi brought a dining chair from inside the house and sat on it next to the rocking chair. If she learned anything from her parents before life turned upside down, it was to respect elders, whether you were related to them or not. Ephi looked expectantly at her guest.

"Common?"

Kalak8538

It was a bit comedic that she would bring out another chair for herself, instead of sitting in the one that was offered. He sat back down, retaking the chair. He cleared his throat, and continued.

"Relatively..."

He put a special accent on that particular word.

"Relative to the Le'ranna's total population, it is rare. Yet, among magic users and magical beings, there is a fair portion with such abilities. Some are born with it, others learn it in the form of spells. Sometimes, it comes in the form of a curse."

He focused on the girl now.

"If I may, tell me more about your powers."

Amorida

Ephi shrugged, looking down at her hands as she replied. It was very strange to be encouraged to speak of her shifts, instead of being scolded for not being able to repress them completely.

"Um... I.... shift.." she flinched slightly at the word. "...into a leopard... It comes... randomly.."

Kalak8538

"Interesting... Never heard of a were-leopard before..." he said quietly.

It sounded oddly specific. It could have been a curse, but the opposite was still a likely possibility. He needed more information, which his host finally seemed comfortable to give. He had to tread carefully though. There was a lot of pain associated with her bestial form. Such painful memories could trigger another episode. He could handle a leopard, that much he knew. However, he did not want to subject the kind young woman to such pain.

"Is there any "shifting" in your family? Can any of your kin change into any other form?"

Amorida

Ephi shrugs.  "No... Not that... I know of...." Ephi trailed off. She took a deep breath and looked Mr. Ikka dead in the eye. "I lived in a village where magic and anything to do with it was scorned and frowned upon. Any mentions of magic in my family was erased from any records they kept."

Kalak8538

The old man let out a sigh, and looked back out into the wilderness.

"I see..."

This would make it more difficult to identify the root of her troubles.

"Such a shame... There are many humans that do not understand magic, and would rather live in fear of it."

The poor girl... he thought to himself. It must have been a difficult upbringing for her. One that he could only imagine. There was one more question that could use to get some answers. He did not want to ask it, for it might prove too painful for his host. However, she seemed to get more bold by the second. Maybe she could handle it.

"There is one more thing I want to ask you. It may be a bit hard to answer, but please do so to the best of your ability. Alright?"