Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The shifter in the woods (open)

Started by Amorida, December 09, 2015, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorida

"They know nothing about me. Nor have they seen me in either form. Like I said, I'm a legend to them. This is just a way to spend a few days of their summer; hunting what could be real, but no one's sure," Ephi growled.

Kalak8538

"Where do the legends come from, if they do not even know you exist?" he asked with the same serious tone.

Amorida

Ephi took a deep breath. "The first few times I shifted here, I was loose in the woods. I didn't lock myself inside. A hunter must have seen me during one of these times. There are no leopards here naturally, so he connected the dots; a shifter. I used to go into town once a week to buy things that I could not yet get on my own, like seeds, cloth, things like that. I heard people talking."

Ephi hung her head, suddenly nauseous and dizzy. She leaned against the tree, closing her eyes.

Kalak8538

The young woman was too worked up now, and there was nothing else that needed to be asked.

"Perhaps it would be best if this "shifter in the woods" were to fall this night..."

Amorida

Ephi stared at her mentor, wondering what he had in mind. "What do you mean?"

Kalak8538

"I will tell you again to go back to the cottage. However, if you do not, at least look away. I do not want you to see this..."

Although he was still speaking plainly, there was a certain conviction in the man's words. There should have been a sullen tone with the way he worded those sentences. Yet, there was not. Eyes fixed forward, he began moving towards the hunters. There was determination with each step.

Amorida

Ephi took a few deep breaths, calming down just enough to stand up, look Mr. Ikka in the eyes, and say, "I'm not going anywhere." Ephi balled her hands into fists at her sides, waiting for him to send her back anyways.

Kalak8538

The old man quickly spun around, staring daggers into Ephi's with glowing blue eyes.

"Then look away!" he snapped at her. Once again turning his back to her, he continued  moving again.

"You will not want to see this..."

Mr. Ikka continued to walk until he was out of earshot of the girl, and nearly within sight of the hunters.

Amorida

Ephi couldn't help but stumble backwards under the force of the man's gaze. As soon as he told her not to watch, she knew she had to. As he turned his back to her, stalking towards the group of hunters. She crouched behind the tree with her mentor's cloak hanging from the branches, and started to skirt around the campsite. She crawled around on all fours again, this time noticing she was doing it, and although it looked awkward, to her it felt almost... natural.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka did something then that he had not have to do in quite a while. In one fluid and discreet shift, he took the shape of a young girl. This form was similar to Ephi's, but not completely. He did not want these hunters to recognize her in the future.

Strolling into sight, they instantly took notice. Reactions were varied. Some hunters gave hollers and whistles, whilst others were more cautious. The shifted man was actually quite surprised when one of the hunters called out:

"Wait. Look at her eyes! It's the shifter!"

That was his cue. In the startled confusion, Mr. Ikka took the form of a leopard. This form was exactly the same as Ephi's, all except for the two tails. In this form, he ferociously leaped around them. The goal here was to look as frightening as possible without actually doing harm. Unfortunately, they had not reacted in the way he had hoped.

Most of the hunters simply fled, too cowardly to attack. They would have all ran had the leopard not knocked one of them to the ground. Mr. Ikka posed holding a clawed paw over the prone man. This would inspire at least one hunter, right? Right. Just then, an arrow pierced the leopard's flank. It hurt, but was not enough to take him down. The knocked over hunter "escaped" his grasp, and ran off. Now rallied, the hunters loosed more arrows into the beast. He wobbled, and was eventually brought down. The hunters rejoiced and gathered around the body. They had done it. The "shifter in the woods" was dead.

Amorida

Ephi watched in amazement as her mentor seemed to shift into a girl about her size. She blinked a few times and rubbed her eyes, but then as one of the hunters yelled, "It's the shifter!" he shifted again; into a leopard. Chaos ensued and Ephi scrambled around the camp trying to remain hidden despite the hunters fleeing in every direction. One of them almost fell on top of her, but she rolled away at the last second. Her heart was racing, and she glanced up again just in time to see the first hunter hit his mark with an arrow: her mentor.

She cried out, but no one seemed to hear her as more hunters loosed more arrows into his flesh. Ephi watched in horror as her only friend collapsed. Tears streamed down the girl's cheek, and she fell to her knees, feeling the darkness of a shift starting to come out.

This time was different though. Instead of trying to shove it back down to the depths, she released it. Her nails started turning to black claws, and she screamed, both in pain and in grief. The scream turned to a snarl mid scream though. The hunters, oohing over their prey, fell silent at the sound.

Kalak8538

Apparently, things had not gone according to plan... The girl had disobeyed his orders and looked on.

The leopard laying on the ground was still very much alive, even if it seemed the opposite. There was not much he could do now. The hunters had to believe he was dead. One eye opened to see the surrounding humans freeze, mouths gaping with fear. Ephi could not possibly know what Mr. Ikka really was, that such a futile effort could not bring him down in a thousand years. If she thought him dead, and she was feeling enough emotion to shift, she would undoubtedly rampage. Mr. Ikka regret his failure in seeing this coming.

Amorida

Ephi snarled again, leaping into view. Hunters cried out and stumbled backwards.

"T-two?!" one of them screamed. Ephi stamped her feet into the earth before charging into the group of hunters, swiping and clawing any that got too close to her. Ephi's mind was clear through all this, and she nudged the leopard that was her mentor was her head. She sat back on her haunches, staring at him. The remaining hunters were trying (and failing) to regroup after two surprise attacks.

Kalak8538

Enough was enough. If the hunters had the time to regroup, Ephi would be in great danger. Mr. Ikka could not allow that.

He slowly rose up from the ground, arrows still embedded into his hide. This was the final surprise for the humans. Once they realized that they were dealing with both shifters at once, they knew any attempts they would try were futile. With all the grace and coordination of a stampede, they scrambled into the underbrush. The fled to leave the two leopards alone.

Mr. Ikka changed, once again taking the familiar form of the old man. The arrows were stuck in him where they had struck the leopard. His icy stare fell on his student.

Amorida

Ephi jumped back, startled by her mentor's sudden movement. As the hunters scrambled away, and her mentor shifted back. Ephi stared at her mentor, fighting the urge to tackle him in joy that he, in fact, was not dead.

His icy stare froze her heart.

Kalak8538

The old man was clearly disappointed, his eyes showed that. However, he could not outright reprimand his student while she was in her shifted form.

"Ephi... Can you hear me?" he asked sternly.

Amorida

Kalak8538

This was an unexpected reaction. Somehow, Ephi had taken one of the most important steps in the training. She seemed to be completely - or at least mostly - aware of herself in her shifted form. Now to test how much control there was.

"Can you change back?"

Amorida

Ephi didn't respond at first. She recalled the power she had felt in her muscles, how good it had felt to finally not need to hide, to finally have a reason to shift. She could feel Mr. Ikka's eyes on her, waiting, and she realized she wasn't sure she wanted to shift back.

Kalak8538

The old man sighed.

"Fair enough... Come, we should retire."

Confident in his student's new control, he walked back over to the old oak. There, he collected his effects. He looked to the leopard, ready to head back to the cottage.