Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The shifter in the woods (open)

Started by Amorida, December 09, 2015, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorida

"You are safe here." the voice said again, more calmly this time. Ephi looked around, frantically looking for the voice. She cried out, both in her dream and aloud. Her shifted form continued to blink at her curiously.

"he is not what you think he is." the leopard said. The young girl froze at the voice. It sounded like it was an older version of herself.

"who?" she said, the first word she had spoken in this strange dream like world.

"this mentor of yours," the leopard replied patiently. Ephi thought she sounded almost sad when she said this. "do not trust him."

Ephi could only stare confused at the cat.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka watched, as helpless as ever, over the girl's unconscious plight.

"Poor dear..." he cooed.

He took up one of her delicate hands in his, in one last attempt to comfort her. There was not a single thing else he could do for her. Whatever she was going through, she had to get through it on her own.

Amorida

"What are you talking about?!" Ephi burst out,  walking towards her shifted form. The leopard only blinked and shook her head.

"Trust me when I say that traitor is not to be believed. I must go now, but he is not who he says he is." With that the leopard turned and stalked into the darkness. Ephi fell to her hands and knees, staring at the ground. What in the world was that? If Mr. Ikka wasn't who he said... who was he?

Back in her bed, Ephi was unnaturally still, her breathing shallow. Her hand, which was tense before, now fell limp in her mentor's comforting grip. Slowly, the vision faded and Ephi fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

Kalak8538

"Ephi? Ephi!"

The old man's heart raced in his chest. He did not know what could possibly be happening in the girl's head, but it now affected her physical form once again. He felt for a pulse in her wrist, and breathed a sigh of relief when he found it.

"Oh, my poor Ephi..." he said aloud.

He spoke with a sadness born of both pity and helplessness. What could he possibly do for such a condition? Perhaps, he thought, there was one thing. Although, it was unknown if it would actually do anything...

A quiet and soothing melody escaped Mr. Ikka's lips. A lullaby, remembered from the distant past. He sat there and stroked the hand of his student, singing a tune that was probably meant more to calm himself down than to help Ephi.

Amorida

The young girl continued to breath evenly, and there were no physical signs that Ephi heard the melody. Her face softened as she slept, and her conscience mind was blissfully silent for the first time in years. After a few minutes of her mentor's humming, Ephi was lost in a deep sleep once more.

Kalak8538

All the old man could do was wait. She was only sleeping, and would wake eventually.

He was an immortal being. Waiting was no issue for someone unaffected by time. She would wake eventually, and he would be there when she did.

Mr. Ikka left her side only to fetch a chair, which he set beside the bed. There he sat, awaiting the moment his student would wake.

Amorida

A few hours later, just before dawn, Ephi stirred and opened her eyes. She looked around the room, and noticed her hand still resting in her mentor's, who was sitting beside her in a wooden chair. The young girl remembered her vision and stared at the man with a haunted look in her eyes.

He is not who you think he is. Do not trust him. What did that mean?

Kalak8538

"Oh! Thank goodness! You are awake..."

Mr. Ikka was relieved. There was no telling what had plagued the young Ephi, or what suffering she had to endure. He was not even sure that she would wake again. It warmed his heart to see her open her eyes.

However... There was a certain look in them. One that could only be described as... fearful.

"How... How do you feel?"

Amorida

"I... uh..." she whispered. She glanced down at her lap, and gently pulled her hand from his grip. "Can you tell me about yourself?"

She kept her eyes trained on her lap as she waited for an answer.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka was taken aback by the question. She had seen a part of the seemingly elderly man that he would rather have not exposed. What did she know? What did she want to know?

"What do you wish to find out..." he asked solemnly.

Amorida

Ephi thought about the question, knowing she was treading on areas that could be places he did not want her to go. She also didn't want him to know about her dream and the warning her shifted form had given her.

"Where are you from?" she asked. It seemed to be the safest of the questions rolling around in her head.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka chuckled a bit. His serious demeanor waning somewhat.

"Is that all you wanted to know?"

He could tell she was holding back, for reasons he could only guess. His past was not something he wished to remember, let alone discuss... Still, such hesitation was probably not healthy.

"Tell me what is is you want to know... For this to work, there must be trust. You should speak the the truth to me. I will do the same..."

Hopefully, this was more innocent than he was perceiving. Although after the events of that night, the man had to be sure...

Amorida

"I just want to know you... I guess where you came from and what your life was before I met you?"

She glanced at him. Ephi hated that he had laughed at her, but she understood why. Noticing the normal light start to creep back into her mentor's eyes was a relief.

Kalak8538

"I would say you already know who I am... Do you not? It has been some days since I happened upon your cabin, after all..."

The man sat straight up in the chair, and stared towards the floor. He was not sure how much he was going to be able to get away with. He would not lie, but he wished not to give the whole truth.

"Before then, I would merely wander..."