Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The shifter in the woods (open)

Started by Amorida, December 09, 2015, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorida

Ephi stood staring at Mr. Ikka from the doorway, with her mouth partially hanging open. It took a second for her to process this. At that moment, she didn't care about the source of her shifting, she was too thrilled about the possibility of controlling it. Her heart was light was opportunities. She wouldn't have to live alone anymore in fear of what others might figure out about her and shun her.

Without thinking, Ephi rushed forward suddenly, hugging Mr. Ikka tightly. After a few seconds, she realized it was slightly awkward and let go, taking a few steps back. Ephi couldn't meet his eyes, embarrassed. "Umm... thank you," She muttered, still grinning from ear to ear.

Kalak8538

It was ironic, really. The sudden display of affection took Mr. Ikka more off guard than anything else she was capable of doing. It was a heartwarming moment, even if it only lasted a moment or two. This is exactly what he wanted, to help this poor soul. He realized a while ago that this lifestyle was not of her choosing, and that she would probably change it if she could.

As it happened, the vision of the cat appeared behind the girl. The old man scowled as it opened its mouth and pointed to the back of its throat. The typical disgusted gesture. Once she released, it vanished.

"I must warn you, my dear. It will not be easy. This process will take time and practice, with no small amount of patience. Best prepare yourself now. I will be here when you are ready."

He knew such training would be hard on her, but he saw a hint of determination in her eyes. Whether she could or could not handle this was unknown. For her sake, the man would try.

Amorida

(sorry, i read the reply but didn't actually respond.. :/)

Ephi nodded and walked around her kitchen, gathering food for the breakfast neither of them had before. Ephi recalled feeling the man's jaw tighten while he was hugging her. What had caused it? She made a plate for both herself and her newly found friend and tutor. Ephi set the table for both and sat down across from Mr. Ikka, waiting for more details that she felt were sure to come.

Kalak8538

(OOC: meh. Don't worry about it!)

"Many thanks, Ephi."

Mr. Ikka did not actually expect her to prepare food for him. For this, he was thankful. He took his place at the end of the table, and began eating once his host had began. Even at the table, he showed great etiquette. The old man remembered how hungry he had become after several days without food, but was careful not to forget his manners. He did not need to eat to survive, although he still felt hunger from lack of food.

The lack of talking rendered the table quiet, save for the clanging and scraping of silverware. The host's attention never left him. These factors left an awkward feel in the air. The man felt uneasy, but could not think of a proper way to break the silence.

Amorida

Ephi nodded in reply and started eating, silently. She wasn't sure what to say. She'd been used to eating alone for years now, and the silence had never bothered her before now. Ephi struggled to remember how meals worked back in the village before the shifts started happening.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka was trying to think up a way to break the ice. Perhaps there was a question he could ask to get a story out of her. Something to begin a conversation. But what to ask? He needed something that would not make his host think of anything painful.

It was a difficult task. Anything he asked could dredge up some unknown and unpleasant memory. There was one thing he could ask, and it was a fifty-fifty chance. Making sure his mouth was clear before speaking, the old man began.

"So Ephi, tell me how you came across such a beautiful cottage as this."

Amorida

Ephi paused in eating and smiled a little.

"Well, about a week after I left my village.. I was wandering around in the woods, leisurely heading to town to get some supplies when I found this place.. much like you did, actually... I watched the place for about a week to make sure no one lived here... When no one came, I knocked and explored the place... All the furniture and everything was here from its previous owner.. No one's ever come here before you.."

Kalak8538

"Interesting..." the man said in response.

"It is a fine place to live. This is truly a good area in which to live."

He took a few more bites, glad that this question had not done any harms. In fact, his host was even smiling, a rare behavior for her as far as he had seen. He continued.

"It is so calm here, so... serene. There are many in this realm who would love to live in such a place. The conditions here should help nicely during training..."

Mr. Ikka was thinking that mentioning training over breakfast may not have been the best thing to do. However, he wanted to see exactly how the girl would react to such a statement. This was a ploy to reveal her true feelings, and see what exactly she thought about what would come in the future.

Amorida

Ephi swallowed her food before speaking again.
"How is this training going to work? I mean.. What's your plan?" She asked before taking another bite of food. The idea of being able to control the shift excited her, but she wasn't sure what it'd ask of her, and that uncertainty made her a little  nervous.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka had just finished his meal. He Wiped his mouth and rested the silverware neatly on the plate before he responded. Ephi seemed enthusiastic, yet a bit nervous. Perhaps it was from the old man's vagueness concerning the training. This was expected from such uncertainty, so Mr. Ikka would reveal his motives, so that the young woman knew what she was up against.

"It is a simple matter of focus." he replied.

"From what I have seen, it is your mind that causes your shifting. It will take a fair amount of mental training to keep this power under control."

He leaned in, speaking with a much more stern and serious tone.

"Know that this will not be easy... It may cause a bit of grief along the way. Yet, the reward will be worth it. Trust me."

This could have been enough to frighten Ephi, but she needed to know that such training would not be a cakewalk. Now the man leaned back, up against the back of the chair. His voice became more calm and friendly.

"It is your decision, I will not force you to accept this. However, if you begin the training, you must finish it. I will give you as much time as you need to decide."

Amorida

Ephi looked down at her half-eaten meal for a minute or two, thinking. Memories of her childhood were flying through her mind at a rapid pace. She took a deep breath, and set her mouth in a determined line. Glancing up at Mr. Ikka, she replied.

"It can't be anything worse than what I've gone through without it." Her voice was strong and steady, and there was a certain fire in her eyes when she said this.

Kalak8538

There was a certain admiration here, shown by a smirk on the old man's face. He approved of such determination. If there was trouble at all during the training, Mr. Ikka was sure she would overcome it. Of course, he would be there every step of the way.

"Good... We start in two hours."

He rose with his plate and silverware, then proceeded to the wash basin to wash them off.

Amorida

Ephi practically leapt out of her chair in excitement. For the next two hours, she kept busy doing various house chores. She kept glancing at the clock, excitedly waiting for the two hours to be passed.

Kalak8538

The old man waited outside, contemplating the lessons he would give. He knew by two hours time she would have finished her meal, and been rested enough to begin. Little did he know what his host was actually doing inside. After nearly two hours, he stood up and re-entered the house.

"Are we ready to begin?" he inquired.

Amorida

Kalak8538

"First..." the man started, ...you decide where the lessons will be held."

He needed to know which area would relieve the most stress. Of course, Ephi would have to train in different areas and situations, but for starters, it was better the more comfortable she was.
"Where are you most comfortable? In here or outside?"

Amorida

Ephi seriously considered the question. Inside would be her normal answer, because then there was something blocking her and the nearby village. In her time, she had transformed the small cottage to be a discreet prison cell that she could not get out of in her beast form. She had locks on all the windows and door of the strongest metal she could find in town. Whenever she felt the slightest stirring starting, she'd bolt all the windows and doors before moving to the cellar, bolting herself in the darkness until the stirring had passed and stayed gone for a few hours.

But that was before Mr. Ikka arrived. He obviously had magic to use. Outside, they'd have more room to work with, and she could move in her beast form more easily. It'd be easier to train outside. Ephi glanced at Mr. Ikka.

"If I shift...and I start to head for the village... can you stop me?" Ephi asked. "Will you?"

Kalak8538

To be completely honest, Mr. Ikka was not sure how to answer. He had never seen Ephi completely shift, and did not know what the beast was capable of.

For Ephi's sake he had to make that promise. Things would be easier for her if there was less to worry about. He smiled and gave a confident nod. "Outside it is, then."

He held the door open, and gestured for his host to exit.

Amorida

Ephi was so excited she practically ran outside, looking back at Mr. Ikka. Her eyes sparkled like that of a small child's on Christmas day. "So what's first?"

(Merry Christmas by the way)

Kalak8538

(OOC: Merry Christmas!)

Mr. Ikka joined the overjoyed girl outside, closing the door behind him. He knew she would not be so jubilant during the first stage. He nearly regretted it, but he knew it was for the greater good.

"First... Tell me... Tell me how conscious you are during your shifts. Do you know what is happening around you?"