Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hand We're Dealt [Lion] [M]

Started by DragonSong, January 13, 2016, 02:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Yvaine shook her head. "No I haven't. My father and brothers do, though, so I don't mind." She flashed him a quick smile, then glanced out the window and asked curiously, "Where are we going, exactly?"

Lion

"I thought we could go someplace quiet, perhaps down by the riverbanks. We can take a walk if you'd like.  The water is beautiful this time of night," he smiled.  He took a long drag on the cigar and reached for her hand, taking it gently in his, and letting his fingers caress the top of her hand.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Though she started slightly at the touch, she didn't try to withdraw her hand. Smiling softly, Yvaine glanced at him and said, "You know, for all that I've lived here all my life, I've never actually seen the river at night."

It sounded nice.

Lion

"Oh it is!  The docks are usually alive with activity in the morning.  Some boats like to fish in the evening, but at night there's a special breed of fish that light up the river.  They positively make the river glow."  He withdrew his hand.

"My apologies.  I probably shouldn't be so bold.  So tell me, Yvaine, what does a girl like you like to do for fun?  Other than crash pokerdens."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

She found she was slightly disappointed when he withdrew his hand, but she brushed it off. Smiling at him, she waved her hand airily and said, "Oh, this and that. Dancing, music, embroidery, that sort of thing...I don't really get out much."

Pausing a moment, Yvaine admitted in a rush, "My brother tried to teach me fencing when I was younger, but our parents put a stop to it. I quite enjoyed it for a while though."

Lion

"That's a shame.  You're very light on your feet, and you're an excellent dancer, darling.  Fencing is more than fighting.  It's an art form.  I know some excellent fencers where I'm from, and some I met all across the country.  What about horseback riding?  Have you ventured onto that?"

Maxxen brushed back the hair of his beard.  Although it only lined his face, some stray hairs felt out of place.  He didn't want to look any more disheveled than he had to.  "I suppose going unchaperoned, to a secluded location with a man such as myself, might cause oodles of gossip."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She smiled softly at his praise, and for a moment allowed herself to daydream about the skills she could have developed if her parents hadn't been so put out by Leo teaching her fencing. "Yes, I ride a bit, but it's nothing...exciting, really. A lady must always keep her poise, of course, and it's rather hard to do that on a galloping animal."

A note of bitterness in her tone that she couldn't quite hide. Clearing her throat, she looked at Maxxen with a small, slightly crooked smile and murmured, "I'm sure it will, but it's nothing I can't handle." She paused a moment, then ventured, "What do you mean by that, a man such as yourself?"

Lion

He noted that bitterness, storing the notion away in a pocket of his mind.

"A man, any  man, married or not, always risks the reputation of a girl such as yourself.  In this particular case, a man unmarried, who you found in backroom of a mansion, smoking, gambling, drinking heavily with other likewise fellows.  What does that tell you about me?  I'd like to hear your inferences," he said gently, puffing lightly on the cigar.   Frankly his curiosity really was getting the better of him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine flicked her eyes to him, a bit surprised that he wanted to know what she really thought. Most people she met at such events were perfectly content with the veil of nobility and flattery wrapped around them like a security blanket.

But then, he really wasn't like most people, she supposed.

Sitting up a little straighter, she folded her hands in her lap and looked him up and down, not bothering to hide her calculation or curiosity. "It tells me you enjoy your vices," she answered after a moment, tone rather businesslike, "but also that you can keep your head. You can hold your drink- or you know when to stop- and how to play the other gamblers even better than you know to play the game."

Her head tilted and she added a little more slowly, "Your apparent interest in me tells me you enjoy the unexpected, and most likely the challenging unexpected. Your admittance to being unmarried could be a lie to lull my sense of impropriety, but I rather doubt it." A very small smile worked its way across her face.

"Honestly, I'm having a bit of a hard time deciphering what your goal for this evening may be. The obvious answer is to get under my skirts, but I think you're too shrewd not to realize I'd be expecting that, and so I'd be on guard. Which leaves me rather puzzled."

Lion

He laughed.  He couldn't help himself.  Not because he thought anything she said was particularly funny, but  because of how accurate her detailed dissection really was.  She had an eye, she really did.  And that in itself was enough to garner admiration from him.

"I think I find your observations rather astute and it's nice to meet a girl who uses her mind more forwardly than what's expected of her.  Frankly, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find you devastatingly beautiful in the moonlight that streamed through that window beside you," he said, leaning back.  His eyes leered at her, hanging low, and the glow of the cigar was the only thing that ignited his features when he took a long drag from it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Quite despite herself, Yvaine blushed, though instead of ducking her head and murmuring some demure thanks at the compliment she held his eyes. A spark lit in her chest, a small thrill at the apparent permission she had to speak her mind with this man.

"Thank you," she said evenly, nodding with a small, slightly crooked smile. "I have to admit myself that you are probably one of the most attractive men I've met- certainly at that party. But you already knew that." He certainly carried himself like he knew he was handsome.

Clasping her hands in her lap, she leaned toward him a bit, eyes glinting. "I don't believe I've ever met anyone quite like you, Maxxen." Her tone implied that it was definitely a compliment.

Lion

Maxxen's smirk sobered at the corners and he shifted closer to her, and reached for her hand and threaded his fingers into hers.  "I thank you for your candor," he murmured.  "I hope you're enjoying my company as much as I'm enjoying yours.  It's a refreshing change to meet a woman of your caliber.  I admit I get tired of catering to simpering girls."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Though she started a bit at the touch, Yvaine didn't pull her hand away. "You're welcome," she said quietly, offering a small, soft smile. "Likewise, it is refreshing to meet a man I am not expected to simper to."

Her head tilted very slightly to one side and she admitted with a little glint in her eye, "I am enjoying your company very much, I assure you."

Lion

His grin turned wry.  Fingers curled around her hand, thumb running over her knuckles.  Maxxen leaned in closer to her, blowing the smoke elsewhere and grinned down at her hand.  "Do other men treat you just as well?" he asked.  "Someone as young as yourself shouldn't be trapped down in a marriage just yet.  You've got a life to live you know.  Every bit of it.  Life's too short to waste away catering to fools.  My thoughts anyway."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

There was a small hitch in her breath as he leaned closer that she tried to ignore. "They...treat me as well as they are able, and is proper," she murmured after a moment, a little pointedly but not accusatory. "I find many people- male or otherwise- fall into habits and ways of treating others that they deem to be of their social standing quite quickly."

Her lips curved up into a wry little grin of her own. "And how would you suggest I live my life then?" she murmured, a hint of a challenge in her tone and eyes.

Lion

Maxxen smirked, taking her hand closer to him, observing it with a closer look and seeing the delicate lines of it.  "You want my suggestions?  Oh, I'd say to have all the adventure you can possibly have in it," he said, smirking.  He dashed out the cigar on a carved in ashtray, pressing it until the light went out and the scent of it wafted in the air.  He spread her hand out along his palm, smiling.  "Travel the world, learn all you can about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine smiled wistfully, watching as he seemed to examine her hand. "That sounds wonderful," she murmured. "But...I think it's a rather unattainable dream." She laughed, but there was no humor in the sound.

Lion

"Nothing is unattainable if you let yourself want it enough," Maxxen said and with a hum, kissed the crook of her wrist, where he felt her pulse briefly.  By then they had reached the docks and the carriage rolled to a stop.

He gave a somber little smile that they reached their destination, but the night air was nice and he opened the door, stepping out.  He helped her out, and thanked the driver, telling him to return in approximately an hour.  "Shall we take a walk?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Her breath hitched slightly when his lips brushed her wrist, but she didn't say anything or make a move to pull away.

Stepping out onto the docks with his help, she glanced up at him and tucked her hand into the crook of his elbow. "Yes, I believe we shall," she murmured with a small smile.

Lion

"I'm not going to lie, this is the first night I've really gone out and enjoyed the evening.  There's so much around you that you can miss if you don't pay attention," he muttered, feeling his face flush and he led her down the docks.  "So what are those 'unattainable dreams' you seemed so bothered about Yvaine?  Tell me your deepest desires."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn