Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Serious Moonlight (M)

Started by Lion, January 13, 2016, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Veles understood the full meaning of what the hunter said, however he remained unsure if leaving was the right move now.  But what else was there to do?  The thought of being captured frankly terrified him and he feared for Ghost's safety as well.

He turned to Rook and grabbed him by the shoulder.  "Why did you say such things?"

Rook shook his head, peeling his arm away.  "I didn't know they would come looking as well.  But all is not lost.  Not yet.  I will help you if I can.  I'll return to the village and see what has transpired.  Maybe none will come. If they plan a hunt, I'll get to you first."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"So what should we do?" Ghost looked between the two men. If they stayed, then Rook could find them to warn them if they were being hunted- but they also increased their risk of being caught.

She tried to stand and managed it, albeit with shaky legs. She grabbed at Veles shoulder to steady herself and took a few breaths.

Lion

"I don't know if I can wait for you," Veles replied softly.  "I won't let them hurt my friend.  I say we run. Get as far away from here as we can."

"She won't get far on that leg," Rook added.

Veles put an arm around Ghost's waist and helped her stay up.  "So you'd rather have us stay and be caught."

"No!  Just stay hidden.  All right.  I'll come back with some supplies as well.  I'll go now."  Rook didn't wait for them to say goodbye before turning into the woods again, carefully making sure he left not trail behind him.

Veles took a deep breath and examined Ghost.  "If we leave, could we make it with your leg?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

She gave him a confident smile. "Sure we could."

Unfortunately, that claim was rather mitigated when she took a step forward and her knees gave out from under her.

Lion

Veles took hold of Ghost then and transformed into a bird, or what appeared to be a small flock of birds and fluttered up into the tree above them, taking Ghost along.  He changed back in time to perch upon a branch and settled Ghost down at the center of all the boughs.  "Then we have little choice.  You get some rest.  I'll watch over you.  No one else will hurt you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She gasped softly as he changed, but relaxed easily into the tree. "Thank you," Ghost murmured, reaching up to stroke his cheek. "I'm sorry..."

Lion

Veles blinked at her when she touched his cheek, it being the first time she voluntarily touched him.  He felt oddly warm and his own hand reached up to cup the back of hers.  "Why ate you sorry?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"If you get caught..." Her lashes fluttered tiredly against her cheeks. "It'll be my fault." She smiles at him softly. "You should go. Fly away, pretty bird...be safe."

Lion

He shook his head fervently.  "No.  I will stay.  You helped me so I will stay and help you.  We are friends.  I've never had one before.  It feels...precious."

He smiled and put both hands on her cheeks.  "Besides if I leave who will be around to watch for stupid humans?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Ghost found herself smiling in return and slid her hand up to stroke his hair lightly. "I guess you're right," she murmured, her eyes starting to drift closed. "Thank you, Veles..."

Exhaustion started to win out and she felt herself drifting toward sleep.

Lion

Rook did return to the village, and found all was unusually quiet.  For once the absence of sound was unsettling.  Deep inside, his heart resonated with dread as he returned to his room at the inn.  The village was not scarcely populated, but it was nestled deep in the forest.  Accessible only by well-troddened footpaths, and there he made his way back.

"Catch anything good this time, Rook?" Tom asked him, settling down his pitchfork as the hunter passed.  "You look like it took the chase outta ya."

"You could say that," Rook said, panting a little.  "Deer are sometimes faster than my arrow unfortunately.  Tomorrow will be better."

"I'll say a blessing fer ya."  Tom signed something across his chest and went about his business before Rook stepped back toward him.

"Say, Tom, ain't it a bit unusual it's so quiet around here?  Where is everyone?"

"Oh, Jon took some of the men out for some practice archery down by the creek.  He was talking all crazy.  Saying he was gonna get him some special game.  They set out just this morning."

"How many?"

"Say about 10 or 11."

Rook immediately felt his stomach drop and he thanked Tom before running back to the inn.  No, he wasn't going to be too late, not if he could help it.  He packed his thinks, taking all of his supplies before ducking back between the trees once again.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Ghost wasn't sure how long she slept, but eventually she woke with a quiet groan, her body sore and aching in places she wasn't used to. She pushed herself up, away from the boughs she was nestled in, and glanced around.

"Veles?" she called a little dazedly, blinking as she tried to focus. She couldn't quite remember exactly everything that had happened before she fell asleep, but she had thought the fae creature was with her.

Lion

He was, nestled up a little higher on a branch and cleaning off his feathers.  The form of the crow he'd become was a little larger than the garden variety with noticeable blue streaks in his feathers, and he hopped down to her, changing back when he reached her level.

"How does your leg feel?" he asked, kneeling beside the once gaping wound.  He strongly resisted the temptation to poke it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

The shifter sighed in relief and smiled at him. "Better," she murmured, sitting up to sort of perch on a branch. "May take another day or two to heal properly, but I think I can at least move on it now.

She tilted her head at him and furrowed her brow suddenly in concern. "Did you get any rest?"

Lion

Veles shook his head.  "I didn't get much of a chance to.  I was looking out for anything passing through.  Just a few deer, and perhaps a bear.  I took some berries and laid them out for you to eat if you are hungry," he said.

He moved around her to examine her leg and he smiled at the rate in which it seemed to heal.  She was not so fragile as he expected.  Only now did he poke it.  Very lightly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Ghost smiled at him gratefully and took a handful of the berries to pop into her mouth. She winced slightly as he poked at her leg, but it was really just a little sore- she could take his curiosity.

"The hunter hasn't been back yet then?" she murmured, glancing down at the forest floor below them. With a shrug, she reached out to pet the fae creature's hair absently. "Why don't you try to get some sleep," she offered with a soft smile. "I can keep watch for a bit."

Lion

The current state of the wound satisfied him for that time.  Veles felt he could ease his concern, and he stilled beneath her hand, stroking through his hair.  Indeed her touch left little shivers in their wake.  He smiled at her, eyes searching her face for a time.

"I didn't see him, but he could still come," Veles said.  He curled down at her feet at the base of the tree.  "I'll sleep.  If anything happens, come get me, all right?"

There was little disturbance in the trees in the next few hours that followed, save for a rustle in the brush.  And there emerged Rook, looking more disheveled than ever.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Her eyes immediately snapped to Rook when he appeared and Ghost slipped down to Veles' side. She bent to touch his shoulder and murmured, "He's here, wake up."

Straightening up- as much as she could, she had to lean against the tree lightly for support- the shifter eyed him warily. "What happened?"

Lion

Veles stirred quickly and flew to the ledge of the tree.  He stared down at Rook a moment before slipping down to the forest floor below. 

"They've gone on an expedition," Rook said, panting hard and wiping the grime from his face.  "I had to skirt around their path but they are in the area.  And it's only a matter of stumbling upon this place before they'll find you.  If you're going to flee, now is the time."

Veles' frowned, looking grim before the moved back up into the tree.  "We leave now, yes?  I'll carry you if I have to."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Ghost bit her lip and glanced at Veles. "Yes. We should go." She cast a glance at the place she'd made into something of a home and sighed quietly.

Her eyes flicked to the hunter. "Thank you... What will you do now?"