Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Feather of Fate [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Penny tensed at his explanation, slowly lifting her head to stare at him and gobsmacked that he hadn't thought to tell her about that little detail any earlier. He didn't seem physically burned at least, but that probably did nothing to actually help the magical sensation of pain their bond seemed to create.

Kura hummed thoughtfully, glancing between them curiously for a moment and taking in her student's look of surprise. "It still doesn't harm you, Penny?"

The younger mage's eyes widened for a moment before softening with guilt as she shook her head. "No, I... It just feels like he's in danger, like I need to stop him before something bad happens," she murmured, slipping her hand under Mal's arm to loosely link them while gently grasping at his forearm.

Kura offered an understanding smile as she looked between them again. "I'm glad it wasn't exactly her doing, then... I suppose you'd prefer cold tea, hm?" she chuckled.

DragonSong

He smiled a little weakly at her. "Yeah, that'd be great actually. Thanks."

It was rather difficult to look at Penny. He knew he should have been more straightforward, but he hadn't wanted to worry her.

Juno

Kura nodded in understanding, extending her hands to offer the steaming cup to Penny instead. She took it distractedly and managed a few sips as she silently watched her teacher, the older mage effortlessly swirling a faint cloud of shimmering blue around another cup of tea on the tray with a flick of her wrist.

Once the liquid was cooled she turned to offer it to the phoenix while her eyes trained thoughtfully on Penny. As much as she wanted to allow her a learn on her own she knew her student had a direct effect on his life. They'd been bonded together quite a while already with little progress, and uncertainty warred in her eyes for a moment as her resolve wavered.

"Penelope... You have great potential, my dear. Your bond is not something to just rip apart, you must treat it with care or things like this will keep happening," she warned gently, picking up the last still-steaming cup to sip as she lost herself in thought for a moment.

"Focus on strengthening what you already carry inside," Kura cautioned. "The power to break your bond will come naturally when your magic isn't so...volatile, I think."

Penny nodded automatically as she listened, a chill causing her to shiver a bit for the sudden seriousness of her tone. Gods, she wouldn't forgive herself if she caused him any permanent harm. She eyed him out of the corner of her eye, half-expecting Mal to be angry at her question, "You don't mind...waiting, do you? That could be a while..."

DragonSong

He smiled a little wryly. "Do I really have a choice?"

The moment the words were out of his mouth he wished he could take them back, wincing and dropping his eyes. Oh, well done, Mal, very well done.

Juno

Kura raised a brow at that but Penny's eyes darkened slightly with sadness as she stared at him for a moment, offering him an acknowledging huff as she looked away to sip at her tea instead. "I'm sorry... I know it's been a while already," she murmured.

Her teacher looked between them for a moment, feeling a bit bad for needing to remind her student but not wanting to see any harm come to them for her efforts. She offered an encouraging smile, though, briefly reaching out to squeeze Penny's shoulder affectionately. "It would help if you didn't focus on your books and spells so much. Raw power... Strengthening yourself would serve you much better," she reminded gently.

The younger mage just shook her head stubbornly at that, her lower lip drawn into a bit of a pout. "But I don't-"

"I wouldn't encourage you if I didn't see it in you, Penny. Just because you can't yet sense it doesn't mean it isn't there. You need to find it for his sake, though."

That got the apprentice to pause and think, brow furrowing as she cast a thoughtful look at Mal that gradually turned apologetic. "...I'm sorry it burned you," she mumbled after a few moments of silence.

DragonSong

"Don't apologize." Mal reached out to touch her arm gently. "I agreed to try, this isn't all on you. We'll just...have to be more careful from now on, I guess."

Juno

Penny nodded in agreement, leaning into him slightly and feeling a little better for having it out between them. "And could you tell me from now on? If something hurts you don't need to hide it from me." She wasn't quite able to keep a whisper of disappointment from her tone.

DragonSong

"Yeah." He sighed and let his cheek come to rest against the top of her head. "I will. I just...didn't want you worrying about it too much."

Juno

Kura eyed the comfortable way they sat together, saying nothing but silently coming to her own conclusions again behind her tea. Her eyes softened though, smiling to herself and moving to take the tray and step back out into the hall without a word to leave them to their discussion.

Penny eyed her, momentarily confused but grateful she at least wasn't going to be scolded anymore over what had happened. She breathed a heavy sigh and tucked against Mal a little more. "Do you think she's right about me?" she asked quietly, idly rubbing a hand against his back.

DragonSong

"About your magic?" He shrugged. "I'm not an expert, Pen, but I think you're too hard on yourself, certainly.

Juno

Penny breathed a heavy sigh for that, nodding and remaining quiet for a long moment in thought. As much as it went against her desire to learn a solution and then apply it she thought it best to listen to her teacher. Not listening sooner had already caused Mal pain.

"I need to try," she murmured, looking rather somber for a moment before quickly swapping to a smile as she turned her head to look up at him. "Maybe once you're feeling better, I don't want to push you too much in one day. Don't wanna break you."

DragonSong

"Yeah." He smiled a little wryly. "For once I'm not gonna argue that one with you," he chuckled, rubbing at the back of his neck.