Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Don't Let Sleeping Dragons Lie (Marjorie, Draco)

Started by Gligar, June 15, 2019, 07:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gligar

If one were to pass through the Draconi Forest's beaten path at this time of day, one would notice a very unusual sight. Lying at the side of the road was a sleeping boy, snoring loudly despite the danger all around him. Generally, a boy sleeping at the side of the road would have an instant target slapped on his back, except for one thing.

Nothing was coming near him.

Sarnath lay against a tree's trunk, snoring heavily. Occasionally, he'd let out a small burst of flame on reflex. Surrounding him was a semicircle of charred earth, an additional warning to any who dared come near this seemingly harmless boy.

Evidently, though, said warning wasn't enough for some people. As he sensed one such person standing above him, Sarnath opened his eyes and looked up. "Good morning to you too," he said, a carefree smirk on his face.

Marjorie

Ulrick was was, perhaps opposite the boy. Appearing a man in his 30s, tall, and powerfully built. He was dressed in heavy leathers and thick furs as the forested and often frosted mountains of Adela were his home. He was unarmed, and also seemingly unworried when he approached the sleeping youth, disputes the occasional luck of flame leaning from his lips and the charred earth about him.

"Good morning," he said in kind, "I'm Ulrick, enjoying your nap, young-one."

Gligar

"I was until you interrupted." Sarnath stretched his arms and stood up. Normally, a young child would be frightened by such a big, burly man approaching him at a crossroads, but if Sarnath felt any fear he didn't show it. He pretended not to hear the young-one comment the man made; it wasn't an insult to him, after all. "Not that I'm offended, of course."

"Hi, Ulrick. I'm Sarnath, nice to meet you." Sarnath stuck out his hand. "It's a nice day for a walk, isn't it?"

Marjorie

Ulrick smoked in an easy, unconcerned way. He didn't mean to offend, either. The yong-one comment was simply an observation, and after all, he was better than 400 years old. Most were young compared to him.

"It is," Ulrick agreed, "I'm headed just done the road," he gestured to the north, "to the town a few miles down that way. I wouldn't mind sharing the road with you if you're headed in a similar direction."

Gligar

Sarnath shrugged. "Sure, why not? I've got nothing else to do, anyway," he said. He was going to head there, anyway. Having company was just a nice bonus along the way. Goodness knew that he had a lot of that left for him.

As they started walking, Sarnath stretched his arms again, yawning. "So what brings you to this neck of the woods?" Most people he met these days were wanderers, seeking out small things like fortune or fleeting glory. Sarnath supposed that he was one of the only truly free beings in the world, in that respect.

Marjorie

"I'm a bit of a historian," Ulryic said, "among many other hobbies of mine. I've heard a rumor that there's some ruins in the hills east of the town a bit. I was planning to rest an resupply in the town today and then head east from there."

He looked back ahead, the direction they were walking and took in a deep breath threw his nose. He could already smell the town ahead, and that deep breath allowed him to learn a bit more about his traveling companion. Not surprisingly, he spelled like he slept outdoors. He was also a different sort of Dragon than Ulryic but that was even less surprising sense his kind was nearly extinct.

Gligar

"Ruins, huh? Not much of a spelunker myself, but it'll give me something to do." Sarnath wrung his hand. "I'll help you out. Probably won't take too long with me around, but sounds fun nonetheless." He pointed a thumb at himself confidently - clearly he had reason to be cocky.

At the speed they were walking, the town was rapidly coming into view. Sarnath supposed he could fly there, but it'd be a waste of time and energy to do so. There was one question he had, though.

"Say, people don't usually go up and greet random strangers they find lying down in the field. Why weren't you surprised?"

Marjorie

"Oh?" Ulryic asked with interest, "why's that?" Then he chuckled, and shook his head in the negative. "Surprised? Not with the smell of you." He gave the boy a pointed look. "I can always sniff out my kin, and if that were not obvious enough, you breath fire in your sleep." He huffed, and a very controlled, small puff of smoke escaped his lips, with no flame to be seen.

Gligar

Oh. Well, that was new. Sarnath didn't really meet many of his kin out in the wilderness, but this one didn't appear to be interested in harming him. "You're a dragon too, huh," Sarnath said, looking at Ulrick. "What's one of us doing looking in ruins for? More treasure for your hoard?"

Marjorie

Ulryic nodded. Yes, he was a dragon too. "I like to study history," he said, "I have a lot of books... yes, you could say I am collecting things  for my hoard." It was extensive, though he tended away from gold and sparkles  (not that he didn't have any) and toward artifacts, books, and knowledge.