Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Happenings [Glob] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 04, 2016, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Vel nodded, and he lifted the covers from himself, standing from the bed and stretching out his limbs. The wood and brass creaked as he arced his back, and he sighed pleasantly.

"Of course," he said, and he turned back to her.

"But how does some breakfast sound, first?"

DragonSong

She smiled. "That sounds wonderful," she murmured, sitting up as well with a small yawn and stretching her back.

She glanced around for her clothes, frowning a bit. The prickle of guilt that had started in her chest had grown to a stubborn ache, not matter how hard she tried to ignore it. She seemed sort of...vague as she located her clothes and pulled them on, mind obviously busy elsewhere.

DaGlobster

Vel knew it was too good to be true. That while they had shared a moment of bliss, it had opened up wounds, perhaps even in both of them.

Those wounds were starting to bleed.

"Twilight," Vel started, and he sat down at the edge of the bed.

"I think we need to speak."

DragonSong

A soft chil of worry ran down her spine at that. Slowly, she sat beside him, hands clasped in her lap and head bowed.

"Okay..." she said softly.

DaGlobster

"I-it's nothing bad," Vel said, and he was quick to put a hand over hers, and he nodded.

"It's just... I want you to know, before I say anything else, that I don't regret what we did. That I trust you, and like you, and... yeah."

He cleared his throat.

"But... I can feel it. Something's bothering me, bothering you, and... and I wanted to ask you if you wanted to talk about it, Twilight. I'm here to hear it, no matter what it is..."

He squeezed her hand a bit tighter.

DragonSong

Twilight's eyes snapped up to him and she took a breath, mouth open- and nothing came out.

She did want to talk to him. She wanted to talk to someone, she just...couldn't figure out what to say. She clutched at his hand, then slowly drew hers back.

"I think... Why don't you go first?" Her eyes were downcast. "If you- if you want to talk about something, I'll listen."

DaGlobster

Vel sighed, and leaned back. Almost as if the tower was reacting to his emotions, the place became just a tad dimmer. The cieling changed, and showed just a regular midday sky, complete with clouds.

Some magic started to swirl in front of him.

"Twilight, you're wonderful. I always viewed you as an individual from the beginning. Deep down inside me I know that you're the same girl, but... I can't help but remember."

He looked to her and offered a small smile.

"I'm working through it, though. It's tough, but... I know I love you, Twilight. I always have and always will."

He looked away for a moment.

"That's why I married you. Because I knew that'd be true no matter what."

DragonSong

Her breath caught and her eyes went wide. "Wh-" She swallowed thickly, snapping her eyes to the ring, then back to his face.

Too many emotions were clamoring for her attention, she couldn't focus on any of them. Her heartbeat was suddenly thundering in her ears as she stared at him.

She loved him. She knew that. But married? They were married?

"Vel, I..." Twilight shook her head, covering her face with her hands. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm so sorry I didn't remember."

DaGlobster

"Don't be sorry," Vel said, shaking his head weakly as he moved closer, hand searching for hers.

"It's not your fault, you're still recovering," he continued. His voice was low and even.

"We were only married for a day before you were made whole again."

DragonSong

"O-oh." She swallowed thickly, taking shuddering breaths as she tried to compose herself. "I...I'm still sorry," she whispered.

She didn't know how to handle this. Honestly, she wasn't sure if she could handle it. When she glanced up at him, her heart ached in the best possible way and she had to take another shaky breath.

She let her fingers twine with his and squeezed tight. "I... Vel, I love you," she whispered, staring at their joined hands. "I know I love you, but I-"

Slowly, she pulled back, wrapping her arms around herself. "I think I just...need some time. I'm so sorry." Less than gracefully, she staggered to her feet and backed away from the bed, the threat of tears shining in her eyes.

DaGlobster

"Hey, no no, don't cry," Vel said. He wanted to say other things, but now, she was crying, and almost like it was an instinct he moved in to comfort her. He approached, hesitantly putting a single hand on her shoulder.

"It's alright, I... I understand why you'd need time. I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't rip a hole in my heart but..."

He nodded slowly.

"...I understand."

DragonSong

"I'm sorry." The words caught around a sob in her throat and she backed away from him, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry."

Crying in earnest now, she practically ran to the levitation disk and managed to choke out, "First floor," and felt it glide into movement beneath her feet.

She forced herself to keep her back to Vel, shoulders hunched and head bowed.

DaGlobster

Vel stood there, paralyzed with emotion, as he watched her go. He could've stopped her, but instead the construct found himself unable to do nothing. She had already descended when a thought struck him, and he glanced up, checking to see where they were through the dome of his tower. When he could see fish and the sun shining down through the water's surface, he startled.

"Wait, Twilight!" Vel called out to the lower floors.

He stepped out into the empty hole where the platform would be, and the soles of his feet started to glow. He descended fast enough to catch up to her before she could go out the door.

"If you're going to leave for a little, um... don't do it while we're in the ocean. Let me move us somewhere safer."

DragonSong

Startled by Vel's sudden appearance, Twilight jumped a bit before she shuffled over to give him room. "A-alright. Thank y-you," she snuggled quietly, keeping her head bowed and swiping constantly at her eyes.

She hated this. Hated feeling like this, knowing that she was making him feel- she hated it.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I love you, Vel, I do. I love you. I love you. The words were on the tip of her tongue, but she couldn't force them out. I love you...

But I'm afraid. I'm so afraid, afraid I can't be what you want, what you remember

"I'm sorry," she whispered again, her arms wrapped tight around her middle as her body shook with repressed sobs.

DaGlobster

As she talked and stood there, Vel placed a hand on the tower's wall, and the views started to cycle. It was with solemn hesitance that he took his hand off. Outside the tower, the rooftops of Arca could be seen.

"I don't want you to go," Vel said, his tone pleading, and he looked at her.

"I know the past day or so's been confusing and sometimes painful, but it'd be nothing compared to not having you here. Please."

"I love you, Twilight. You're wonderful and kind and beautiful and I don't want to spend a day here without you."

DragonSong

"Oh, Vel..." She swallowed thickly and took a hesitant step forward, reaching out. Then all at once she'd thrown herself into his arms, gripping him tight and kissing him like it was the last chance she'd get.

Then she forced herself away, darting around him toward the door. "I-I'll be back, I promise. I just...n-need some time."

Half afraid if she looked at him again she'd lose her nerve and stay, she fled out into the streets of the city.

DaGlobster

She'd find that the door to Vel's tower led out into an alleyway, the door disappearing behind her to better conceal the entrance. The entrance to the tower was there, but not the tower itself. One of the perks of being extradimensional.

Vel almost went after her, but then the door was closing.

"I'll be waiting," he said, weak with emotion. He couldn't process anything else but the hole in his heart, and he stood at the door, frozen with equal parts despair and sorrow.

Eventually, he regained enough of his faculties to go and sit down and to try and hold onto the lingering memory of her lips.

DragonSong

Twilight stumbled out into the street and started running. She had no idea where she was trying to go, she just needed to move.

She spent hours just roaming the city, searching aimlessly, though she had no idea for what. Lingering memories from both Midnight and Starbright tugged at the corners of her mind, and she tried furiously to shut them out.

One memory was useful though. The sisters had spent more than their fair share of nights on the street, so when she finally realized the sun had set and the temperature was dropping, she knew how to find an out-of-the-way doorstep to curl up.

And realize that she had absolutely no idea where she was.

The door she'd left through had disappeared. Even if she remembered how to get back to it...

She groaned and dropped her head onto her knees. "I'm an idiot," she whispered to herself, sniffling. Maybe Vel would come to find her- but did she even want him to, in that moment? Well, yes. And no. Maybe.

Way to cover all your options there, girl. She almost laughed, but it came out as a broken sob.

"Hello?"

Twilight gasped and snapped her head up, eyes wide. A stranger was standing some three steps away, eyeing her with concern. How had he gotten so close without her noticing? She pressed her back further into the curve of the doorway and glanced around like a cornered animal searching for an escape route.

The stranger smiled, crimson eyes crinkling up a bit at the corners in a friendly way. "Easy, child. I'm not going to hurt you." He knelt, not seeming to give a whit for his fine clothes as the debris of the street stained his kneels and the trailing edges of his clothes. "Are you alright? Lost, perhaps?"

Slowly, Twilight nodded. She swiped at her eyes. "I-I...um..."

"Oh, you poor girl." The man smiled softly and held out a hand. "My name is Lorian. What do you say I help you get home?"

She hesitated. An instinctive wariness of strangers warred with her desire just to be home, to be safe and warm and with- well. But there was something else. Something about this Lorian that put her on edge at the same time it lured her in. She swallowed thickly, glancing from his hand to his face.

She wanted to see Vel. She didn't want him to see her.

With a sharp exhale, she took the offered hand.

Lorian smirked as the girl's eyes sort of glazed over, then she went limp. He caught her easily and lifted her up, cradling her against his chest as though she were a child. Which in many ways she still was, he noted as he looked down at her tear stained face. Naive, trusting, young. Very childlike.

But not what he was concerned with.

"Technically you've come of age today," he murmured, smirk widening. Eighteen years he'd been looking for this particular prize. "Happy birthday, Aurora."

With a simple wave of his hand, they vanished into the shadows.

DaGlobster

There were several moments where he contemplated going after her, but he was afraid. Afraid that if he did, he'd ruin it all for good. He found himself rooted to the spot with fear and indecision.

Vel retreated to bed shortly after he'd collected himself. He was too tired, to emotionally drained to do anything but rest after all of that. He couldn't think about her anymore, and to do that, he needed to sleep.

The night was long without her, but he managed to sleep.

Morning came, and Vel made his way downstairs. He went to his closet and called forth a crystal ball, and a golden stand to put it in. He went to his work desk and cleared out a bit of space. It was with a sudden stab of heartache that he noticed one of the books he'd pushed aside was Starbright and Midnight's diary, which he'd never opened since the night it was discovered.

He set the stand down and the crystal ball in front of it. With a wave of his hand, the tower dimmed. He placed two of his hands on his crystal and two on the ball itself, and the runes on his arm started to glow.

"Where are you, Twilight?"

At first, the ball showed a view of Arca, but then, it started to zoom away. Vel's eyes widened, and he could only watch as the scrying ball showed its visions.

[OOC: I guess you should describe what the scrying ball sees? If it sees anything at all, that is >:D]

DragonSong

[On it!  ;)]

Soaring over Arca, tilting west, then north, then zip zip zip over the mountains, over the Sirantil Valley, further north still, almost to the cradling embrace of the Kilanthro range.

A grand if somewhat decrepit manor stood nearly at the base of the mountains, all dark stone and imposing walls, each gate capped with wrought iron spikes and guarded by stone gargoyles- or were they stone? The seemed to move in the corner of one's eye, but never if the gaze lingered directly.

The vision pulsed, narrowed, then soared in through one of the many vaulted windows in a northeastern tower.

Twilight groaned softly and sat up, pressing a hand to her temple. Her head ached and her whole body felt heavy, as though her veins had been filled with lead. She shivered and looked around, trying to make her brain work quickly enough to figure out just what the hell was going on.

The room was dimly lit by wall sconces, with a thick, burgundy rug that matched the hangings on the four poster bed where she lay. She frowned at that, plucking the blanket between her fingers. She didn't recognize it. "Where...?"

"Are you?"

She jumped and whipped her head toward the voice, which evidently belonged to the tall, thin man who not occupied the arched doorway. Immediately her hackles went up, eyes darting from the door to the window to the dresser, searching for an escape route.

The stranger- and he was a stranger, hair too dark and face too long to be the man she remembered from the previous night- smirked and shook his head at her. "I wouldn't, precious. We're some two hundred feet up in this room, and I don't think you're sure enough of your magic to risk that jump."

Twilight swallowed thickly, but before she could respond- if she could have thought of anything- a slightly more familiar voice drawled, "Enough, Tyrrel. Go to your sister, she needs assitance."

The man- Tyrrel- rolled his eyes and stepped aside to allow Lorian into the room, casting a fang-tipped smirk at Twilight over his shoulder as he did.

Wait.

Twilight's eyes widened and she sprang from the bed, darting toward the window. "Where am I?" she demanded of Lorian, panting. "What- what did you do to me?" She could barely move- just that quick lunge had drained her of her strength, she was swaying on her feet.

"Easy now, easy." Lorian moved toward her and held out a hand. She flinched away from him, but then her knees gave out and with a little cry she collapsed, only to be caught around the waist by that slender, wiry arm. She pushed feebly at his chest, breath sharp with fear and a labored heartbeat. "Shh, sweet thing," Lorian murmured as he reached up to smooth a lock of hair from her forehead.

"You...lied to me," Twilight gasped. "Where am I? What- what's going on?"

"All good questions," Lorian purred. "Though for another time, I think." His hand cupped her cheek, forcing her to meet his crimson gaze, and suddenly she felt even heavier, slower than before. She couldn't move, couldn't resist...

Vel...

"Vel." It was a whisper, barely. Lorian's brow wrinkled in a slight frown. She took a shuddering breath. "Vel- Vel!"

"Ah, ah, ah." Her captor smoothed a hand over her brow and her eyes fluttered. She slumped in his arms and he scooped her up, carrying her to the bed. "You're stronger than I'd have thought," he murmured as he laid her down carefully and drew a blanket up to her chin. Fangs flashed as he grinned. "That's good. That's very good."

Everything was swimming in darkness. Sounds and images felt very far away. She barely stirred when he leaned in to press a kiss to her forehead, murmured something in a language she didn't understand in her ear-

Darkness.

Lorian chuckled as the girl slipped again into unconsciousness and looked up toward the window where he could feel the tickle of the scrying spell. "You've no idea what sort of prize you've been hoarding to yourself, do you?" he commented blithely to the unseen watcher. His eyes flashed as he spread his arms wide in invitation and grinned. "If you'd like to learn, please. Come. Come enjoy our hospitality. I'm sure Aurora would be thrilled to see you. If only for a moment."

He chuckled, waved his hand, and the spell was broken.

The scrying ball went dark.

[Sorry for the long post! Wanted to set the scene :3]

Tags: