Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Black of a Rainbow (DragonSong)

Started by zozee9, February 13, 2016, 07:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

Nitya turned around, realizing he had stopped, and laughed. "Your size is big?" She laughed again. "I suppose it was a stupid question, there's no way you could have known your size. But look around you. You are not 'big'. You are rather average here."

She smiled at him, finally feeling like she had accomplished something. "I am doing this because you ruined my splurging spree, in which I planned to buy at least five dresses but instead ended up buying a slave. If nothing else, I better have a stylish slave, no? I had a little cash left over and expect good sales tomorrow." This explanation barely scratched the truth of the situation. Nitya mostly wanted to break him out of his lifeless act and help out a fellow slave. As someone who grew up with practically nothing, she knew how good shopping felt. And to actually own something of your own brought a sense of pride.

"But assuming you have no clue where anything around here is, you'll have to give me a little more than that. Do you have a favorite color, at least? Otherwise, we can just go into the Fiddler's Fancy. They have some decent clothes there, it would give us somewhere to start."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

DragonSong

"I...like green," he said automatically, still trying to work through everything she'd just said. Wait a second.

Indignation and a rather disproportionate rage suddenly bubbled up in his chest. "I ruined your shopping spree?" he said, voice soft but somehow very, very dangerous. "Forgive me, Miss Nitya, I had no idea. I am merely your lowly slave, I know my life could not possibly be worth five dresses."

Perhaps he was being unfair- she really hadn't done anything to him to warrant such anger, at least not yet- but he was alone, he was scared, he was hurting, and for the first time in his life he didn't have his sister beside him making cutting remarks and forcing him to play protective and stoic big brother.

He snapped. "You want a stylish slave? You want a mule to carry your shopping? You want a toy to whore around with? Fine. I don't care. But stop- stop acting like you give a damn! Just leave me alone!"

He didn't realize he was shouting until his voice suddenly cracked, throat sore.

zozee9

Nitya had to admit that she was surprised at Kai's outbreak. She welcomed it, for anger was a good step toward healing. He had every right to be angry, and so far had seemed to be keeping it under wraps. But given how obediently he had been acting thus far, she thought it would be much longer before he'd speak up for himself.

Her words echoed his own in quietness and fierceness as she replied, "I want a slave that will not be looked down upon, scorned, or made fun of by everyone. I want that for myself, yes, because I am selfish and wish to keep my reputation high." Nitya's voice cracked as she continued, "But I also want that for you, because no one deserves to live that kind of life. Whether you want to be or not, you're stuck with me right now. If I leave you alone, you'll just be snatched up again—either by some bastards looking to make a profit out of slavery or by your own self." She took a deep breath and started walking again. She knew he would follow, he had to.

"You don't have to believe that I care, but you're getting clothes either way. And, just for the record, you're carrying your own shopping. I have nothing more I want to buy today." Nitya entered the Fiddler's Fancy, took a deep breath, and put on a big smile. "Hello Yirvick!"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

DragonSong

That one outburst seemed to have really taken all he had left. Simply nodding tiredly, Kai followed her into the store.

He refrained from a "Forgive me, Miss Nitya," however, which was unlike him.

He supposed what she said made sense, if he gave it some thought. Warily, he decided to accept her given motives, at least until she proved otherwise. Silent, Kai moved to stand obediently at her elbow and waited to be given further instruction.

zozee9

After a brief conversation with the store owner, Nitya turned to Kai and said, "Look around. See if there is anything you like. Yirvick here has agreed to alter any clothes you buy to fit for your wings. I'd do it myself, but he is much more qualified." She had helped Yirvick out a number of times by promoting his store to her clients, so he offered her discounts and favors in return. It was a relationship they both used to their advantage. Nitya considered him to be one of the best underrated sewers in the town, though his reputation was quickly growing thanks to her.

She looked through the dresses as Kai shopped. Nitya had a feeling he wouldn't appreciate him looking over his shoulder.

DragonSong

Kai hadn't been lying when he said he had no preference about clothing. He wandered aimlessly and picked out a few pieces that looked like they would fit, but he wasn't really paying attention honestly, he was more concerned about shoes- he couldn't deny it would be nice to not walk barefoot all over the city.

"Here, Miss Nitya," he murmured, returning to her with a small armful.

zozee9

Nitya eyed the pile of clothes he had. It looked as if he had picked things up fairly randomly, but nothing stood out as being hideous. "Yirvick!" she called. "How much will this cost?" She gave him the money and he took the clothes to sew. "We'll be back shortly. I have a little more shopping to do—do you think you can get the sewing done within a half an hour? Thank you!"

She turned to Kai and asked, "What else do you want? There are two places I need to stop by before we leave, but you take priority right now."

DragonSong

He wanted his sister back. "Nothing, Miss Nitya," he said, looking down. "I will follow where you lead." He didn't relish the idea of treking all over the markets, but it wasn't really like he had much of a chioce in the matter.

zozee9

Nitya was about to move on, to get her shopping done, but then she paused. "Look at me in my eyes and say that," she demanded. "Where were we? Rule number eight? I think so—rule number eight: no lying to me. What do you want?" That was what her power was for finding out, so she may as well use it.

DragonSong

Kai started. Forcing himself to meet her eyes, he said again, "Nothing-"

He stopped. A quiet breath, then he said in a softer tone, "Nothing you can give me, Miss Nitya. That is the truth." He dropped his eyes again and shifted uncomfortably, unused to meeting the gaze of a person who owned him.

zozee9

She could hear it. He wanted his sister. Of course. Nitya sighed, she couldn't promise him that. But she would do what she could at the present moment. "Let's go," she said after a pause, lowering her head.

They went around the market for a short while before stopping at another store. An apothecary stood inside, surrounded by various plant based medicines. "Nitya?" the old lady asked in surprise. "I didn't know you were back in town!" She looked disapprovingly at the slave.

"Hello Jamie," Nitya replied with a smile, closing her mental door and looking at Jamie in the eyes. "I returned a few weeks ago. Haven't had a need to come in... until today. I had a terrible headache this morning, worse than my normal ones. Do you have anything extra potent? Ah, and this is Kai." She hesitated, then added, "Don't give me that look. I know you don't approve of the slave industry, and you know I don't either. There was a... situation of sorts, I somehow ended up with him. Do you have anything to help him?"

Jamie looked the boy over. "What do you need help with, young boy?"

DragonSong

Kai followed after her easily, keeping his head down as they walked. He glanced up just in time to catch the apothecary's disapproving look when they entered her shop before lowering his eyes again quickly, not sure what he'd done to offend her.

Then the two women started talking. Oh. She didn't like slavery. He supposed that normally would have made him relax a bit, but he was still feeling vague and distant.

It took him a moment to realize that she'd asked him a question. "Need help with...?" He looked from Nitya to this Jamie woman, puzzled. "Nothing, Mistress," he said quietly, nodding respectfully and dropping his eyes again."Though I thank you for your generosity-" He almost added an automatic to a slave then stopped himself. She probably wouldn't appreciate that. Neither of them would.

zozee9

Nitya shook her head in frustration at Kai, "Now that is a lie, though by your face I doubt you realized it." She looked at Jamie. "He had his wings clipped. Anything to help with that? I would also like some sore cream, just to be safe." She had the feeling that he had likely been whipped and beat as well.

Jamie nodded and drifted off to grab some remedies. She went from shelf to shelf, picking up things here and there. Then she returned and gave Nitya a powder. "For your headaches, use it the same way you use your normal stuff. But be careful, this has the same risks. It numbs your pain, but it will numb your thinking too." Nitya raised an eyebrow. Jamie knew that was exactly what she wanted. "I am serious, Nitya. Too much of this is bad for you. And if you use too much and once, it will knock you out. This is not to be taken lightly... I wouldn't normally give it for something like a headache, but..." She trailed off.

Jamie sighed and handed Kai two different creams. "The pink one should help with your wings. I get cases like yours every once in a while, so I try and keep a low stock of this at all times. You're lucky though, this is my last one. It will be a while before I can make it again, so use it in small quantities. Once a day, when you wake up. The white one I have all the time, and I would recommend applying it generously to any sores." Her eyes glanced down. "I do not know if it will help your feet though, since sores will just keep forming."

Nitya looked at Kai's feet. Shoes. He didn't have shoes. How could she have not noticed such a thing? "I'll buy him shoes, Jamie," she said with a sigh. "And... can I have a meeting with you sometime?"

"A meeting? You have not asked for one of those in a while... Is it the headache?"

"No, something different. Probably not related, though I can't say for sure. How much is this?"

Jamie smiled. "Just take it all, my dear Nitya. A reward for your friendship." Nitya bowed to the old woman and left the store with Kai. Next they were headed to a small stall for shoes, and then another, larger stall for jewelry.

DragonSong

His wings? She could help with that?

Kai watched the two women interact, feeling dazed and more than a little lost. He took the creams she offered with a nod a murmured, "Thank you, Mistress."

He glanced up at Nitya when she said she'd buy him shoes. She'd already got him new clothes, he honestly hadn't expected anything else.

Well, he hadn't really expected anything from her but more orders and maybe pain. This woman was confusing. He trailed after her with a confused sort of frown as they made their way back through the market.

zozee9

This time, Nitya picked out the shoes for Kai. She grabbed a nice leather pair that should last long, even when traveling. They head to the jewelry stall and she turned to him, keeping her eyes lowered, and asked, "Do you want to buy something for your sister?" She paused, unsure whether she was being insensitive or kind. "I cannot promise you will see her again. But if you do, you will have something to give her. If you don't, well, hopefully something physical to hold will help you cope."

DragonSong

He froze, heart clenching painfully. "I- something for..." His eyes flicked over the offered wares. Plenty of pretty baubles and other pieces of sparkle and shine.

A small, sad smile turned up the corners of his lips. "Ka'lei...she isn't much for jewelry." He looked up at her and said with real gratitude, "Thank you for offering, though. Miss Nitya."

zozee9

"Not for jewelry?" Nitya repeated in astonishment. "What does she like then? I am sure we can find something. Buying clothes would be impractical, but maybe a little sculpture? There is a stall owned by a woodworker nearby, he carves all sorts of little animals."

DragonSong

Kai started to shake his head. "No, she doesn't really keep trinkets- we can't..." But- well, actually, now that she brought up animal carvings...

"Maybe." He shifted a bit, then bit the inside of his cheek as he looked at her face for a moment. "Perhaps...it wouldn't hurt to look, Miss Nitya?"

zozee9

Nitya sported a huge smile. "No, Kai, I daresay it wouldn't hurt at all!" And thus she took off to the next destination, which wasn't too far away. The stall was covered in tiny animals, none more than a few inches big in any direction. There were crocodiles and peacocks and dragons and all sorts of animals. The owner was a crooked looking man with a slanted nose and thin lips.

He leaned over to Nitya and said, "These sculptures here are all handcrafted by me! I work my old hands to make every single one of these, no assistants or anything. And—now here what is truly special, beautiful lady—I enchant every single when I make them so that they cannot be broken! Not burned, not cut, nothing! So as long as you don't lose it, you shall have it forever!" He laughed, and Nitya rolled her eyes.

"I know all of this, Bagni. You tell me every time I walk by."

"The young lady knows me? What an honor! Oh, I knew I hadn't lost my charm in age."

Nitya glanced toward Kai and stated, "He may be a fool, but his skill cannot be denied. He isn't lying about the enchantment either. Do you see anything you like?"

DragonSong

He did. Nodding slowly, Kai moved forward and let two fingers brush over the back of a small horse figurine, carved sot he animal looked as though it was racing into a headwind, mane and tail blown back like a banner.

His sister loved horses. They didn't get the chance to be around the animals much, but she always seemed to light up when they did. Horses and dogs. He smiled a bit, eyes going soft.

Then he snapped away, putting his back to the stall and shaking his head. "It's lovely, Master," he murmured to the vendor. "But I can't." It would almost be worse, to have such a thing, a physical representation of the desperate hope to see Ka'lei again, and then have it never be fulfilled.