Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wulfbauer Catching Fire

Started by pomelo, February 17, 2016, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomelo

"Maybe," Constance agreed grimly. In all likelihood, there was killing going on now, right that moment, somewhere in Connlaoth. "But in that case you should know who you're asking." She held his gaze for a moment, her expression hardening, something defiant in her eyes. Daring him to challenge the justness of her actions. Constance was on the right side of this war. She knew it in her bones. Even if she had not always made the right decisions. For a moment she felt the flare of zealotry and nearly spoke out about the righteousness of her cause. How she wanted nothing more than to be released from her internment in this Keep. The internment that was the only thing keeping her from taking up arms again. Keeping her from returning to the life that she wanted. To the life she was free. In a way. She wanted to tell him that that was where her loyalties lay. Not to Wulfbauer. Not to its Duke.

But she knew that wasn't true. Or, rather, she knew they were all true. Her loyalties lay with the mages fighting across the country. And to Wulfbauer. And, perhaps, to Erwin Therrien, its Duke.

Constance let out a short exhale, defiant gaze slipping away. "Because, in the end, we both know it's your choice," she said joylessly. Perhaps even a little defeated. "Let's not pretend that we don't."

Cambie

The Duke's brow furrowed a little deeper as he tried to make sense of her words, of her hot glare.  Given the revelation that she'd killed before (and likely could do so again if her hand was forced)... was that a subtle threat?  The words -- and her tone -- certainly had him pausing and re-assessing the situation.

Still, he shook his head with an amused smirk. "Yes, isn't it all a bit odd that a man could somehow tell a woman to marry him, and it must be done?  I'm still asking you though.  Perhaps it's naive of me to think this, but I still believe that a marriage works better when one party is not completely subservient to the other."

He sighed and continued, "Look, Constance, I did not lie when I said I would not force you into something to which you did not agree.  But I am asking you to consider it.  I think you would make a fine duchess, certainly a better one than any other possible suitor in this duchy.  And frankly, I'd rather have you by my side than any of them."

It was still a tough ask though, and quietly he braced himself for her definitive rejection.

pomelo

"Perhaps it's naive of me to think this, but I still believe that a marriage works better when one party is not completely subservient to the other."

Olive gave a soft, derisive snort at that. She couldn't help it. 'A marriage works better...' Sure. Because what he was proposing was that kind of marriage. Was something more than a convenient fix for him; a way, hopefully, out of an awfully awkward situation. As though his, what?, mistress? And his bastard weren't in the Keep now. But he wasn't asking her to do this for him, and she understood that.

Olive could feel the situation closing in on her. Weighing her down. Trapped. Drowning.

"Let's get some fresh air," she said abruptly, "this is too claustrophobic in here."

With a short, low whistle to Kipper, Olive led the way out of the room. She should have let Erwin do so, but she either didn't think of it or didn't listen to the etiquette. She walked mutely down the hallway, eyes cast demurely downwards, as she led Erwin down the empty, gloamy stone hallway. She looked calm and perhaps submissive, but her mind was racing. Would- could she go through with it? Or, a voice in her head whispered, should she acquiesce and make a run for it? Tonight, tomorrow.

When they walked out onto the castle's inner ramparts, Olive let out exhaled as though she could only finally breathe. She leaned carefully against the fortification's cool stones, eyes searching the darkening hills visible from this vantage point. Were they there, somewhere? Hiding in the wilds, free, pursued, fighting? Silas and the others. Could she serve them, serve their cause - her cause - and serve Wulfbauer at the same time? Serve, she reminded herself, Erwin Therrien.

"If I said no," she finally broke the silence, gaze still cast out over the duchy's shadowy landscape, "then what? Would I be free to just walk out these doors? Out of the Keep and, if I wanted, out of Wulfbauer?" She looked at him questioningly. Defiant, but vulnerable. "Or is this just a choice of who I am wedded to?"

Cambie

The chilly gusts of wind that danced across the ramparts also helped to clear Erwin's head, oddly enough.  Far below, a small regiment of castle guards went through their daily drills in the muddy bailey while the stablemaster Bairn led a pair of horses toward wooden stalls to be groomed.  Beyond the walls, wisps of smoke rose in the distance from the town of Wulfbauer, an indication that life -- or at least some semblance of it -- went on.

He was glad she'd brought the two of them out there.  After all, a man always operated better under a clear sky, with fresh air in his lungs.  Though the heavy grey clouds above cast a dull, gloomy light down upon the castle, it was better than nothing. 

When she asked that inevitable question, he took in a deep breath of that fresh air, of the scent of pine from the nearby wooded hills.  And then he shook his head. "No, you would not," he replied truthfully and with little hesitation.  There was no use in dancing around the subject anymore.  "There's too much at stake in this duchy for you to just 'disappear' all over again.  If the order to keep you here does not come from me, then perhaps from Lord Burrows or the others left on the council.  More likely, some minor lord will decide to take you for a wife so that he can tie his House to your ancestral name and secure a rise in the social ranks.  In either case, I... I doubt you'll be able to just 'walk out these doors'." 

Hopefully his words did not bite too deeply, but why shy away from the truth of it?  The look on her face almost suggested that she wanted him to respond as he did, just so that she could say that she'd been right all along, and that his proposal of marriage had been just as they'd both known: a political sham.  And a part of him felt almost guilty thinking that.  Was his offer that much worse than any of her realistic alternatives?  At that moment, Erwin could not answer that question.

At least someone out here is enjoying themselves though, he thought as he watched Kipper bounce around excitedly at everything new out here before burying his snout into a pile of dirty old snow.

pomelo

No smug 'Ha, gotcha!' or sudden 'See, I told you so!' followed Erwin's admission. Olive simply nodded and turned her gaze back outwards. Yes, she'd doubted as well that she'd be able to just walk out the doors of this Keep. But Erwin was right that he'd said what she wanted to hear. Not so she could take a swipe at him. She just wanted to get the truth of it out in the open. "No. I didn't think so."

All that had changed, really, since her arrival was the boundaries of her cell. From the grimy dungeon, to the lonely East Wing, to the confines of the Keep. In some way, she preferred the first. It seemed the most honest.

"Maybe it seems odd to you that any noble lady would prefer to walk out these doors and live as an outlaw in the wild, than to live as a duchess," she said after a prolonged silence. She didn't turn to look at Erwin, and sounded half as though she were talking to herself. "Living like a hunted animal; always in danger of a soldier's blade or of starvation or God knows. That isn't exactly freedom, living like that. But it seems freer to live in the wild, acting on your own will, than to live in safety and comfort, acting only on somebody else's. If you can act at all." She let out a short sigh. The hills were dark and shadowed and the night would be cold. "Out there I was freer to act on my own volition than I had ever been. There I was subservient to no man."

All that had mattered was that she was a mage. And free. And willing to fight. She could hold a handcannon or a bow as well as any. That had been a freedom Olive had never experienced before. And may never again.

"For all that, though... for all the danger of the wild and all the apparent safety here. I feel closer to being sent back to the camps here than I ever did there." She glanced sidelong at Erwin. "All it takes is for you to change your mind. Or the political winds to change. For 'what is good for Wulfbauer' and 'what is good for Constance Carwick' to come into conflict again. At least out there I could run, or hide, or fight. Here... if I agreed... I would be a sitting duck. All over again."

Cambie

"Nothing is odd to me these days," he replied quietly, stepping up to the spot next to her and leaning his arms against the ramparts.  His eyes slowly scanned the horizon, at the calmness of it all.  Somewhere out beyond the wooded hills, he knew that Roland Kenins and those loyal to him was preparing for a bloody coup. 

Not even a full year as the Duke, and already he'd made a mess of it.

"What would you do?" he asked offhanded, staring out at nothing in particular.  "Out there I mean, with this 'freedom' that you desire? Would you seek quiet peace somewhere?  Would you take up arms again?"

What would he do, if he had that freedom too?  For a moment, he wished that he could also share in her dream of escaping from Wulfbauer, of living as his own man.
The moment passed though, and all he was left with was an emptiness inside.  One that, he supposed, had no cure but to strengthen his resolve and do his duty.

pomelo

"There's no 'quiet peace' for a mage. Not in Connlaoth." Did he really think that was an option for her? She heard, too, the inflection on the way he said 'freedom.' As though it was something whimsical, childish, or imagined. She wanted to scowl at that. Throw it back in his face. Maybe it didn't sound like 'freedom' to him, but he was the one free to go where he pleased. Even here, Erwin might like to imagine himself as her 'guardian,' but she couldn't leave the Keep without being accompanied by guards. And she knew better than anyone that those guards weren't merely there to protect her. Constance Carwick was a prisoner here, in her home, however they dressed it up. Erwin Therrien was no prisoner, however much duty might bind him, and he was under no threat of being hauled north to the nightmare of the mage camps. As long as she was here, that threat was just around the corner for her. And not just the threat of being sent back the camps as soon as Erwin had a change of heart, or was overthrown, but a duchess who wore the Mark... she may as well wear a bull's eye. She wondered if he'd thought about how much risk he was asking her to take on to make his claim as Duke stronger, to cover up his mistakes. "I'd survive," she finally answered, "for as long as I could. Try to help others do the same."

pomelo

"But what's the point of dwelling on impossibilities.'

The words came out of her mouth without her realizing she was saying them. Constance pushed herself away from the cold rampart walls by her palms, so she was standing up straight now. But her eyes were still turned to the silent shadows of the countryside. The sleeping farms, the heavy blanket of thick pine forest draped over Wulfbauer's rolling hills. She could feel the calm of the forest at night from here, smell the pine needles, hear the crackle of a fire and the hushed voices of the runaway mages sheltering under those boughs. A place where she wasn't anyone special, a place where she'd found, well, a place for herself. But now, out here in the night air, looking out on the same forest, maybe, from the sturdy ramparts of a castle, it was clear. It was a place she was not going back to. Constance Carwick, like it or not, was not born to live in the wild. She was born with responsibilities, weighing on her like the very stones of the Keep.

And she couldn't run away from that. Her gaze shifted to the stone rampart in front of her, feeling its rough texture on her fingertips. Returning here, it changed everything. So, it was time to start thinking about what she would do. What her options were. The real options.

"If I were to say yes," she began slowly, her voice too measured, betraying uncertain nerves, "what is it you would be asking of me? What," she turned her eyes to him, feeling suddenly small and young and vulnerable next to this man, who whether he liked it or not, held so much power over her, "what kind of marriage do you want? I'd like to know what I am answering."

Olive might have been several years Erwin's junior, but she wasn't naïve. Even had she not already known Erwin's reputation – which he'd made for himself already as a young officer when Olive was still at home, before everything -  recent events in the Keep certainly would have made his character where women were concerned abundantly clear. And the way he'd proposed the idea, it seemed unlikely that it had been his own, or something that he himself wanted. If this was a pragmatic, and convenient, political fix now. What would it be in a year? In five years? Ten? Would she be, forever, a public face, a screen for whatever his actual personal affairs were? She wanted to know now, if she would. Or would she be more than that? A wife as her mother had been. And which answer did Olive even want to hear?

Cambie

As his eyes locked onto the horizon, Erwin tried to recall the first time he'd climbed the stone steps up onto these walls, seen this view.  He vaguely remembered feeling awestruck: the hearth light of distant homes had gleamed through the morning dew, and a low mist has given the woodlands an almost ethereal beauty.  The din of the castle courtyard was naught but a soft whisper, but the sound of distant crows had rung so clearly in his ears.  But that was the first time.  After so many long months in this castle, having stood on this spot on so many subsequent occasions, his wonder had been replaced by cold familiarity. 

What kind of marriage do you want?  Her words jolted him back to the present, and he also stood back from the ramparts' edge.  A fair question, and one that deserved an honest answer from him – if he could knew how to answer.

"Truth be told," he said, "the marriage I always wanted was one built on love and trust.  Someone to confide in and be confided in." 

He met her gaze for a brief quiet moment, then looked down and took a breath.  And why would those words not be completely unbelievable coming from Erwin Therrien, whose reputation was well-known among both the noble circles and the whispered gossips of Wulfbauer's towns and villages?  He was a handsome and charming man and knew it, and for years had leaned on that bravado even as the women came and went.  Indeed, in years past, he certainly would not have given the wiry, boyish Constance Carwick even a second glance, regardless of her station or the gravitas of her name.

He could almost hear the voices of his father, his mother, even old Lord Burrows, how at some point or another they all tried to convince him to settle down for the sake of duty.  Perhaps he might have held those classically romantic notions as a younger man, that eventually some lass would tie strings around his heart and drive the philandering out of him.  But now, standing before Constance having asked for her hand in marriage, Erwin wondered if he ever believed in those words at all.  He certainly didn't feel ready for marriage.

Love and trust.  They had none of the former.  And he had to wonder, after all of his missteps as Duke – both political and personal – whether there could ever be the latter.

He looked back up at Olive and exhaled.  If she was thinking of the chaos caused by his recent escapades in the Keep, he couldn't blame her.  Everyone was talking about it. 

"I know it takes more than a fairy tale sentiment.  My father used to say that marriages happen out of duty, but marriage is a duty in and of itself.  I'll never be the man he was, but I can try to live up to his ideals.  What I'm trying to say is... I would be dutiful, loyal, and faithful to my wife.  I would be hers as much as she was mine."

He felt dry in the mouth  even as he said it.  As much as he wished it to be true, could he uphold that promise?  Was it even what he wanted?  In the moment, it was hard for Erwin to tell.

pomelo

I would be dutiful, loyal, and faithful to my wife.  I would be hers as much as she was mine.

Olive felt her stomach drop at those words, and not in a particularly pleasant way. What had she wanted to hear? That it would all be for show? A political front to ease tensions in the duchy and bolster Erwin's standing? One that would leave their private lives much as they were currently, while they lived a public lie? Maybe. Maybe she had. It would be easier. Lonelier. But Olive would at least know what to do.

But that's not what he answered. And what private life did she mean? Hadn't she just berated Erwin for thinking himself entitled to a private life? Olive felt some of the color drain from her face, the gravity of the proposition settling on her.

"My parents' marriage was arranged for political benefit," she muttered, eyes falling back to the ground, and it was not clear if she was telling this to Erwin or to herself, "and they were very happy." Likely the latter.

Olive shifted to face back towards the countryside, unconsciously moving slightly further away from Erwin as she did so, arms folded over her chest. She wasn't sure he had answered quite what she was asking. She had wanted to know what her role would be more than she'd wanted to hear any assurance of his sexual fidelity. In his answer, though, she'd gotten hers. And fidelity... her eyes fell on the stables below, still glowing gently in the night. Bairn or Valerian finishing their nights' work. Valerian. She felt a tightness in her chest then. She wondered if Erwin knew anything about the young stablehand. They had been considerably more discrete than Erwin and his thief. And as lifelong friends who'd always been thick as thieves themselves as children, she didn't think that any of the servants saw them as anything more than friends reunited. Maybe they gave them more leeway, both scarred and broken by the war. But maybe now she was the one being naïve.

How would she tell him, if she said yes? His life was bound here now, she knew; where else could a stablehand with one leg find work? How would they ever be able to face each other?

And suddenly, as her brain ran through these scenarios, Olive realized why she was already imagining how things would go. If she said yes. Because how many options did she really have?

"'Love and trust,' you said," Olive repeated his words without turning back to him. "I've chosen already to trust you." And she meant it. Though circumstances had led her there, Olive was backing Erwin in the fight for Wulfbauer. And not just because he was the man who held the reins on her life. She genuinely thought he was the better man. So she had to trust him. "And, in the last months, I have come to think of you as a friend." In a way. She sighed. "I suppose there could be worse starts."

Cambie

Her words had been barely audible above the soft winds that blew over the ramparts, but their weight landed on Erwin just as hard.  And what about my happiness? For a fleeting moment, he was tempted to say those words out loud.  He'd been perfectly fine commanding troops in the field of battle, reveling with his men like soldiers were meant to do.  He had no need to settle for a wife, no matter her station, his mother's disapproval be damned. 

He didn't ask for any of this.  Not for the Dukeship, not for the Keep.

But he stayed his tongue.  Few in their circles had the luxury of marrying by choice.  The Carwicks certainly knew it.  And his father and mother – they both had known it as well.  Erwin ought to have known it too, as the eldest son of the Lord of Arbutus Vale.  Their house had not survived and thrived for so many generations without sacrifice in the name of duty.

I've chosen already to trust you.  And, in the last months, I have come to think of you as a friend.

At that moment, Erwin was thankful that her back was to him, so that she did not have to see the breath of relief escape his lips, or to see his shoulders straighten out even so slightly.  She'd acted so guarded around him all of these months, that he had begun to have his doubts about whether she could ever trust him.  He'd taken the mantle of Dukeship from her line after all, and no matter how he wanted to frame her presence in Wulfbauer Keep, she really was a prisoner here for better or worse.  If their roles had been reversed, he'd have acted the same. 

"That's why it has to be you, Constance,"
he said to the back of her head. "Of every single soul in the castle, you're the one I trust the most, maybe the only one I trust – and I say that sincerely.  All those Lords downstairs have every right to doubt me, but I do care about what happens to this dutchy.  And if I'm to have any chance to not muck it all up, I need you there.  I want you there."

And for a moment, he had to pause and reflect on what he was saying.  Lord Burrows had been right in a sense, that she was the most logical choice for his betrothal, both politically and practically.  But Lord Burrows could not have realized just how much Erwin Therrien needed a friend at that moment.

pomelo

It was just as well that his words remained unspoken. Constance would have given him an acerbic reminder that he had their roles reversed. She was not standing here asking anything of him.

But his last words struck her. Olive turned to face him again and she couldn’t hide the startled look in her eyes. She didn’t say anything, only watched him in an ashen silence. She might have been studying him for sincerity, but – though she looked for a moment as if she might say something – nothing came.

”Let me sleep on it, Erwin” she finally said, quiet and almost demure. She regarded him still, concern creeping onto her face. ”I – “ she started, but her mouth closed suddenly. She stood there, tense and uncertain for another moment or two, then turned without so much as a ‘good night’ and walked down the ramparts. Once she’d turned the corner, Erwin would hear her footsteps change from a quick controlled walk to nearly a run.

Poor Kipper, confused by the tension, just looked up at Erwin with a quizzical whimper.

It had taken Olive, buried under her covers, ages to fall asleep. And even once she had, she woke up in a start, wondering if she’d just had some surreal dream, or if it had all really happened. By the time the sun came up, she finally settled into an uneasy slumber when – WHOOOSH! the comforter was torn in one swift movement aside, leaving Olive exposed to the cold draft from the window. But before she could make sense of what was going on – thwack! – something clipped her on the back of the head.

Olive scrambled upright, ready to defend herself, onto to find Grace towering over her bed with a face like thunder. ”You didn’t give the duke an answer!?” Thwack! whatever Grace was wielding smacked down on the back of her head again. Only when Olive lurched backwards did she see what it was: the measuring stick her tutor used to threaten her with. But he’d never actually hit her!

”Ouch! What? Where did you get that?” Thwack! The measuring stick snapped against her ear. ”Did you go find that just to hit me with?!” Olive demanded in disbelief. Was she still dreaming? But the stink of the measuring stick was very real.

”Constance Olivia Carwick! You impudent child! What on earth were you thinking?! The best chance you have to fulfill your parents’ wishes and keep yourself safe and to serve your people and –“

“I just asked if I could sleep on it!”
Olive pleaded, feeling very much like an impudent child, being treated like this, and managing to defend another swat from the measuring stick with her forearm. ”Grace, calm down! It’s – it’s a big decision!”

But Grace would not calm down, and it was written all over her face, though she at least ceased her physical assault of Olive and put her hands angrily on her hips. ”When I think what your mother would say. ‘Oh, it’s a big decision,’” Grace mocked, in an impression of Olive that was good enough to sting. ”What decision?! What on earth else are you going to do! Do you think – do you think you can just run away with the stable hand – Don’t think I don’t know about that! she cut across when Olive opened her mouth in protest. ”You stupid, selfish girl. I suppose you haven’t even thought of what an unkindness it is to him, hm? Letting that poor boy hope when you’re a noble lady and it is PAST time that you acted like it! And when a DUKE has asked for your hand in marriage! Do you honestly think you can deny him? I know you have had a hard time, Constance, and don’t think it doesn’t keep me up at night, thinking of all those years you were gone. But you’re home now and you have a chance now to do right by all your parents’ hopes and to do right by your duchy. And you didn’t even say goodnight to him!”

How did Grace know that part?! Olive always marveled by how many eyes and ears servants had around a house. Olive’s mouth opened and closed, not unlike a fish, not able to get a word in edgewise as Grace’s reprimands continued for at least the next ten minutes. Recounting every heartache and worry she’d ever inflicted on her mother, reiterating how much every single member of this household wanted the best for her, reminding her over and over of her responsibility as Harlow Carwick’s only child.

When she finally started losing her wind, Olive stumbled out of bed, pulling at whatever clothes she’d been wearing the previous night. ”Okay, fine, fine, I’m going,” she retorted, sounding much more like the surly teenager who’d used to fight with her mother than she liked. ”I’ll go talk to him now, just…. Stop, please.”

Olive tried to walk past Grace, but felt a sharp snag at her collar. ”Oh, not like that you’re not! Sit down.”  And the old lady’s maid, with strength that frankly surprised her young ward, sat Olive down on a chair and started brushing out her slept-on hair, muttering darkly about what a bad job Olive did at keeping it tidy, but thanking the stars again that at least it’d grown back out and she had something to work with.

It was more than an hour later that there came a sharp knock at the door of the Duke’s study. As soon as he’d answered, the door opened and Olive nearly stumbled in. Almost as though she’d been pushed. The hissing sound of urgent whispered instructions – ’stand up straight’, ‘don’t get fresh’, ‘and act like a lady, for Angsar’s sake!’ – confirmed as much. Olive glared balefully at the door.

It wasn’t until it closed that she seemed to remember where she was and turned to face Erwin, the disgruntled expression wiped from her face and replaced with a wide-eyed, nervous awkwardness. It would not escape Erwin’s notice that Olive was considerably better groomed than she normally was, in a pretty light blue dress and her dark, honey blonde hair freshly plaited into a braided knot at the nape of her neck. She actually started a little when the door latch clunked as the door closed.

”Um. Good morning.

Cambie

Erwin stiffened ever so slightly when she turned about around to face him. He'd wanted an answer from her, but now that it appeared to be imminent, a part of him wondered in trepidation if he actually was ready to hear a response.  And worse yet, what if the answer was yes?

And then she brushed past him hurriedly, without so much as allowing him a single word.  He raised a hand after her fleeing figure, but then closed his hand and bit his lip without saying anything more.  He watched her silhouette disappear down the stone steps, leaving him alone on the cold stone walls of the great Keep with just a half-pup at his side and the long shadows of the setting sun.  Gods, you damned fool, he cursed himself in his mind.  What the hell just happened?

By the time a sharp rap sounded against the thick door of Lord Burrows' chambers, the sun had fully set.  The old Master of Coin, bent over the reams of ledgers spread across his desk, lifted his head just in time to see the door swing open and the Duke stride without so much of a greeting.   "I asked her for her hand.  She said she'd sleep on it." A pause.  And then, perhaps anticipating that the old master might interject and remind him that he was the Duke, Erwin held his hands up like he could do no more.  "She said she'd sleep on it." 

---

That night, Erwin's sleep proved equally as fitful as Olive's.  He'd lain in bed for what felt like hours, eyes wandering aimlessly between the dancing embers of the fireplace in his chambers, and the glimpses of moonlight floating in from the stone window to his left.  His thoughts unconsciously drifted back to the previous winter, when would-be assassins almost made him the fifth Duke of Wulfbauer to be slain in a year.  And that had been weeks into his reign – now the Duchy was on the brink of civil war, with Lord Kenins and Ansgar knew how many other Lords preparing to take up arms and storm the Keep by force.

His thwarted assassination, conveniently or not, had coincided with his first encounter with the thief woman who now was still causing much commotion within the castle.  All of his misfortunes really were the result of his own follies, he'd thought bitterly to himself in his sleeplessness.  His mind turned then to Constance, the way the blood had nearly drained from her face up on those ramparts before she'd slipped away.  Perhaps it had been foolish to ask to marry her.  Maybe even she realized that the task of keeping Wulfbauer intact, of undoing Erwin's mistakes, was too great.

When the black of night slowly faded, and the pre-dawn lights of blue and grey began filtering in from the window, the Duke irritably threw the covers aside and arose.  Eyes still blurry from the few moment's he'd slept, he hurriedly changed into the clothes laid out for him before emerging from his chambers.  The castle kitchens were already lively even at this uncommon hour, and it was not difficult for the Duke to find himself some bread and jam before retreating to his study.  At some point, a servant brought him a pot of tea and a clay mug.

Various correspondences and military reports were still laid out across his desk from the day before, along with maps bearing small wooden carvings that marked the locations of various castles, towns, and encampments.  At least this was something with which he was familiar, and he gladly preoccupied himself with their study.  By the time a knock sounded at the study door, he'd almost lost track of the morning hours.

"Come on in," he said, reading the last lines of a letter from one of the minor lords to the south, who had somehow managed to pledge loyalty to the Duke without actually committing anything to his cause. Clearly the man was trying to play the status quo, happy to wait and see which side might gain an advantage before making any weighty decisions.

When finished, he dropped the letter back to his desk and glanced up, fully expecting to see Lord Burrows or another of his council.  Instead, he found Constance Carwick standing across from him as the door shut behind her.  And it was not the same Constance from the day before, or from any other day since she'd returned to Wulfbauer.  No, this Constance, with her impeccably-combed and braided hair and that dress, looked noble and ladylike, moreso than even during the Spring Festival.  As if the castle could have belonged to her.

Realizing he was staring, he cleared his throat and stepped around from his desk.  "Good morning, Constance," he responded, gesturing for her to step away from the door.  "Have you broken fast yet? I have some bread and tea here if that's to your liking,"  he hastily added.

pomelo

Erwin wasn’t the only one who noticed he was staring and, much to her own frustration, Olive felt her cheeks flush. But she didn’t step away from the door or seem to hear his offer of breakfast at all. Olive stood stiffly where she was, like a doe caught in torchlight.

”Okay, I’ll do it,” the words came tumbling out with an urgency that suggested if she didn’t get them out now, she might never manage. ”If it’s what you want, I’ll do it.”

Having managed that, Olive breathed and a small fraction of the tension released from her posture. But she still didn’t move further into the room. Unconsciously, she touched the bump that had already come up from Grace’s physical reprimand. But before Erwin could reply, she went on, ”But if this is just a strategy to join my family’s money to the Duchy. Or to make sure I don’t run away, or change allegiance, or…” She still spoke quickly, frowning. Olive swallowed. ”I won’t. I know I’d have to leave, if you married someone else. But I can, I can make the serving Duke the trustee of the finances. And- and I’ll marry whoever you think is best. I won’t make a fuss.” Though she said this, a look in her eyes betrayed the fear of putting herself in the hands of some unknown lord, who might have any number of views on how to treat mages. Or women.

Olive took a breath, seeming to calm down slightly as she spoke. ”I’m not just desperately reaching for other options,” she said, her voice slowing and lowering a little. ”Honestly, some of them scare me. But I don’t – “ She paused, trying self-consciously to brush back a loose strand of hair, only to find that there were none; Grace had done too good of a job. Her hand fell to her opposite elbow instead. ”What I mean is, I know you feel forced into getting married. But I don’t want you to feel forced into marrying me. There must be dozens of nice, sweet, pretty 18-year-olds without any past or opinions who’d want nothing more than to make you happy.”

Olive exhaled, deflating a little, eyes finally falling on the modest breakfast. But her stomach, trying for a gold medal in summersaults, wouldn’t even consider food. And after a moment her gaze turned back up to Erwin, wide green eyes silently asking for… what? For him to release her? Or, of all things, for him to reassure her?

Cambie

Erwin started to approach her when she failed to budge from her spot near the door, but then abruptly froze as the words slipped from her mouth.  The two of them faced each other, both unmoving, caught in an awkward standoff. 

I'll do it.  If it's what you want, I'll do it.

He'd wanted to hear those words since the previous afternoon, but they brought doubt flooding into the back of his mind immediately as they were spoken.  It was almost fortuitous that she hurriedly articulated her thoughts before he could respond.  It gave him a chance to collect his racing thoughts, blink his tired eyes, and let the reality set in.  It was all going to happen.  At that moment, he couldn't decide if he was more unprepared to be the Duke, or to be married.

On several occasions, he almost interjected.  To tell her that he could not have cared less about her family's money, or that he had not proposed in order to keep her under lock and key.  To reassure her that he had no plans to pawn her off to some Lord just to curry favor, something that felt disgustingly like a move that Roland Kenins might happily make. 

Her last words jolted him out of his silence though, and it was his turn to cut her off.  "Constance," he said, looking down with a furrowed brow.  "You're right.  It feels ... forced, all of it.  As I stand here, I don't know if I'm ready for marriage, to be a husband." 

His features tightened into almost a grimace.  With his tired eyes and disheveled hair, he barely looked like he possessed even an ounce of the confidence of a younger, more careless (or uncaring) Erwin Therrien - one that would have gone out of his way to charm some of the eligible young ladies Olive alluded to.  But this was not the time for those frivolities.  It was an entirely different, more serious, situation. And when he looked back up at her, the firmness in his voice grew as he spoke, as if he was convincing himself with each word.

"But it doesn't matter how unsure I feel because I know it must happen.  And all I know is that if I'm to be wed one way or another, I would rather have you.  Maybe you're right, that there's scores of 'nice, sweet, pretty 18-year-olds' out there, just waiting in line for me.  But I'm not trying to take them to the Winter Ball to go dancing, am I?  They don't have your thoughts and opinions or your past, and that's the problem.  They aren't you."

Erwin paused for a moment to think on whether those words had come out of his mouth the way he'd meant it, before letting out a heavy exhale.  "Look, I'm not saying that you're the choice just because of your history or your name, even though they're important too.  But I meant every word I said yesterday, Constance.  You're a friend to me, and I am willing to put all my trust in you.

His eyes softened as he gestured at her clothes and her well-groomed hair.  Grace really had done an impeccable job making her presentable. "Besides, it's not as if you aren't just as pretty as any of them," he said matter-of-factly.

pomelo

"Oh for God's sake, don't say that too loud," came Olive's alarmed retort, casting a suspicious and disgruntled look back at the door. "If Grace hears you say that, she'll make me sit through this every godforsaken day." Despite trying to mask her embarrassment with a small bit of levity, the color in Olive's cheeks betrayed her again. "And don't inflate yourself too much. I just said 'dozens.'"

But no amount of joking could shift the weight of what had just passed between them. She'd said she would marry him if that's what he wanted. And he said it was. So that meant now... Olive again tried to push back a strand of hair, a clear nervous tick, and shook her arm in frustration when there still wasn't anything out of place. "Can I – can I sit down?"

She looked like she needed to, and she didn't wait for Erwin's answer before walking stiffly over to her the worn leather armchair that had been her father's favourite and collapsing into it. Forgotten were Grace's hissed commandments to sit up straight and be ladylike. Slouching in the chair, Olive looked suspiciously at Erwin. It was a marvel, really, how far he'd gone in convincing himself in one night. Because what she remembered from the night before was Erwin admitting that it was exactly because of her name that she was being considered.

"Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but for all this talk of how special I am, I can't help but note that you've shown remarkably little interest in me except when I can help you." In Erwin's defense, he'd needed help pretty much since she set foot in the door. Still, she couldn't help but feel the support had not been reciprocated. But it was clear from her expression that she regretted the words almost as soon as she'd spoken them. "I'm sorry. That was unfair, I..." She was acting like a surly teenager again, she realized with annoyance. Why did being back here keep doing that to her? She sat up a little straighter, but only half-hearted, and tucked her feet underneath her, drawing her body protectively around herself.

"I do want to help you, and I will," it was hard to actually get the words out, "I will marry you. But I have conditions." Awkward Olive was mixing now with the more defiant Olive Erwin had become familiar with in the last months. "I won't just run the Duchy for you. That's still your responsibility. But, I will keep helping you," she said, her tone softening, guiding herself back in the script she'd prepared for herself. "As much as I can. I'll do that gladly. But I think for now that should stay..." it felt like a loaded word to use with him now, "well, private. Or as private as it can be. I'm still a mage, even if I am a Carwick, and if it looks like I have too much influence on you.... Who knows what they'll say. It could be dangerous, for both of us."

"And second..." Olive paused, drawing her knees closer to hers. "Well, you said you want a marriage based on trust, so I feel I should tell you," for a moment she paused, as though unsure whether to disclose the next thing she would say. In truth, Olive was uncertain which thing she should disclose. One, certainly. But the other? Finally, she continued with more conviction, "Well, I don't think many people suspect, but I don't want you to hear a rumor from your manservant or to have any suspicion about my intentions going forward. Since I've had more freedom in the Keep, I've been with one of the stable hands. I'll stop, obviously. I do understand the particular importance of a wife's fidelity," she added hastily. Her tone wasn't embarrassed or apologetic, but she did not want to allow any space for Erwin to get the wrong impression about what her request was. But she didn't dwell any more on her last statement; its obvious implications – a wife's most important duty, producing undoubtably legitimate children – was not something Olive was remotely ready to face yet. "But I don't want him to lose his position. You have to promise me that. I don't want him to lose his livelihood because I was careless. He's worked his entire life here and finding new employment... it wouldn't be easy for him. So. Those... those are my conditions."

She fidgeted, watching for Erwin's reaction, before adding with a small and not at all convincing laugh, "I probably should have come up with more while I still have some leverage."

Cambie

Erwin didn't bother to stop her as she pushed past him and practically melted into an old armchair.  Instead, after a moment he maneuvered himself to a nearby stone wall, close to the small line of uncomfortable wooden chairs set out for lesser councilmen who visited his study.  He grabbed one and dragged it across from her, sitting leaned forward with hands clasped together. 

As she spoke, he remained silent and attentive, his face stony and pensive.  His expression changed only a few times – first, when his face hardened into a deep frown when she complained about how he had "shown remarkably little interest" in her.  Of course she was being unfair!  He'd been under so much stress these last months, and so much of his attention had been focused on trying to save a duchy from collapsing, it would have been absurd to expect him to find time to make small talk with her. And it's not as though she had ever come to him seeking the same.

Yet, at the same time, the frustration in his eyes betrayed a sullen realization that – once again – she was right.  She'd lived a hundred lifetimes, and experienced horrors that he could not even imagine, even before returning to Wulfbauer a prisoner in her ancestral home.  She had lost so much in this war.  Even then, he'd hardly taken the time to inquire about her well-being, tend to any of her needs, offer to listen to her problems.  He hadn't even mentioned her late parents, even though he knew intimately how big a hole their absence left in her heart. No, he only ever sought her out when he required her counsel.  Some "friend" he was.

And – she was right again – it was less than a day since Erwin tried to argue against old Lord Burrows why he should not ask Constance Carwick to wed him, and then tried to convince her how she could help him consolidate power and rein in the chaos that had befallen Wulfbauer.  Even if he'd somehow managed to convince himself that night of all the other, more personal reasons why it should be her.

These were strange times, and they had a long way to go if this was going to work.  And so he said nothing and just listened as Olive listed her conditions for agreeing to marry him.

Her second bit of information had Erwin sitting up a little straighter in his chair, a curious look crossing his features.  He stared at her, as though her admission of a tryst with one of the stablehands cast an odd, scandalous spotlight on her.  That curiosity quickly faded though, with the awareness that she was a grown woman with her own needs.  As a younger man he himself had snuck into the bedsheets of more than a few chambermaids, to satisfy his own carnal desires. Why would she not meet her own needs in whatever way she chose?

Idly, he wondered which stablehand she was referring to.  There was Tomas, Bairn and his son... and a half dozen whose names who couldn't remember this morning.  Quickly, he decided that it was better not to know the man's identity.  The tenderness in her voice suggested it probably was someone who she could trust to speak her heart to – exactly the person he had not come close to being.  Instead, she was offering to move forward, and he resolved to do the same.

When she finished, he paused for a long moment before given her pensive nod and letting out a soft exhale. "I understand, Constance.  I am the Duke of Wulfbauer, and her responsibility rests on my shoulders.  I'll not place that burden on you.  But I will value whatever counsel you can provide me.  In whatever way."

He glanced down for a second. "As for your stablehand, you'll have no judgement from me, Constance."  By Ansgar, he'd fucked a Saranthian in the middle of all this! At least nobody in the Duchy could blame her for finding solace in the arms of a good wholesome Wulfbauer citizen.  There also was the problem of the child born out of wedlock, with which he had not yet decided to do. "We do not have to speak any further of it, if you wish.  And you have my promise that nobody in this Keep will be replaced."

Her final comment, surprisingly, elicited a suppressed smile and a low laugh from Erwin.  "I'm sure you'll think of a few more once you've had breakfast," he said half-jokingly.  The faint curl in the corners of his mouth quickly faded away though, as he looked back down at his hands, counting the callouses in his palms as he gathered his thoughts.  When he gazed back up at her, his eyes were more solemn, but undeniably appreciative.  "Anything else you need, just say it.  I'll do whatever it takes to make this work for you.  For both of us."

He wrinkled his nose. "Within reason, of course.  I'm not a magician."

pomelo

Olive withdrew inward as she listened to Erwin, gaze downturned, absently running her fingers over the worn leather of the armchair. When she was a girl, she used to curl up and fall asleep in this chair when her father worked late into the night. Her mother hadn’t approved of it, but Harlow often indulged his daughter, taking her shooting and hunting and letting her sit in on meetings, even as a girl, if she promised to sit still and remain very quiet and out of the way. Olive remembered his justification for this once when her mother complained that Olive really ought to be doing something more appropriate for a girl of her age – lace making or arranging flowers or writing flowery correspondences to other young ladies – things appropriate for a girl in general! Harlow had laughed that those were not his daughter’s strengths and if they were going to prepare her to be a duchess one day, they couldn’t ignore what she was good – or not good – at. She’s bright and driven and eager to learn, her father had said. Let her learn this, then. And one day, when she’s married, that is how she’ll be able to support her husband. How she’ll support a duke. The memory sent a sharp, physical pang through her body; she missed him so much. And wished she could talk to him now more than ever. But it also made Grace’s words from the morning echo a guilty knell in her mind. This was what her parents wished for her. The role they’d prepared her for and then fought, against their own society’s prejudice and the grasping hand of the Church, to preserve for her.

Olive looked back up at Erwin. At how quickly the smile fell from his face, at the way he sat, hunched forward, his own gaze fallen to his hands. She took advantage of that for a moment to actually study him, the solemn lines in his face, the gray in his hair, the cant of his shoulders. He’d been more of a character to her until now, she realized, a role, someone whose political actions and decisions reverberated into her own life, yes, and the duchy. But she hadn’t really thought of him, oddly, as just a man before. As a flesh and blood physical human, like any other. And as she looked at him now, she thought that before her sat not just a duke who needed support. But a man who needed it.

Shifting, Olive moved her feet back to the ground, unfolding herself and sitting up across from him. Her tone and expression softened now, though concern still resided there. ”Erwin, that isn’t what I meant. The burden of the duchy, it is your responsibility,” she leaned forward and half extended her hand, paused for a moment as if uncertain, then reached out her hand to his, resting it lightly on his folded hands, ”but you don’t have to bear it alone.”

She left her hand there for a moment longer, drawing her thumb across his knuckles and was suddenly aware of how loudly her heart was beating in her chest. When she withdrew it, sitting back up, she folded her hands together in her lap and her gaze stayed meaningfully on him. ”What about what you need? For this to work for you?” Somehow she couldn’t manage, as he had, to use words like ‘us’. She paused a moment, unsure if she wanted to go on, before cautiously continuing, ”Because I won’t demand the same things from you. I know what you said last night, but I want to be honest about what… realistic expectations are.” Olive was not getting this out well and she frowned, looking down at her hands. She tried to speak carefully, matter-of-factly, without accusation or judgement, as she went on; for all that, though, her discomfort - or was it resignation? - was nonetheless visible. ”There’s no need to pretend it isn’t different for a man. Half the lords and dukes you and I know have known mistresses and bastard children.” That, of course, included Erwin Therrien already. Somewhere in the Keep this very moment were his own mistress and, they said, his child. Olive let out a small sigh. ”The only thing I would ask for from you is discretion.”

Cambie

You don't have to bear it alone.

Erwin looked down at her hand placed tenderly over his, feeling her thumb brush against his knuckles.  The soft touch of her fingers and her gentle words brought a strange tranquility to the room.  For a brief second, it almost felt like the world stopped still, as though the weight of the Duchy lifted from his tired shoulders.  At that moment, he would not have traded her assurance for all the gold in Connlaoth.  Finally, after several seconds he slowly nodded his head, mouth firmly pressed together. 

His posture also straightened when she pulled away and sat up.  At her pointed question, he took a deep breath and rubbed his stubbled cheek with a hand.  Uncomfortable as the subject was - and the discomfort rang clearly in Olive's voice - he had to address it now.  The plan had been for the Saranthian thief woman's wounds to be tended to, and when she was ready for the road again, to leave with her child.  But here she was, still holed up somewhere in the castle along with her babe, as if they were honored noble guests.  The sun had not even risen that first night of her return by the time he'd impulsively (or selfishly) bedded her again.  He searched the deepest recesses of his mind and heart for the reason why he'd done it - by god, they could barely stand each other! - but no matter how hard he dug, it always kept circling back to himself. 

What about what you need?  For this to work for you?

Whatever he needed, Erwin decided, that wasn't it.  Perhaps the answer might have been different for his younger, more rash and emotionally impulsive self, to accept both the responsibility of his station as well as the implicit power to do as he pleased.  But even if Olive was right, about all the lords and dukes with their mistresses and bastard children, the idea of a 'mistress' suddenly seemed so contrary to how (or what) a Duke should be. 

Thoughts drifted to his late father, the longtime Lord of Arbutus Vale, and most recently Duke of Wulfbauer.  As far as Erwin knew, Marsden Therrien, stoic and unswerving in his sense of duty to the Duchy, and out of responsibility to his wife Chantal, would never have even dreamed of taking a mistress, no matter the circumstances.  And as far as Erwin knew, his father was the noblest man he'd known.  Sickeningly, he wondered how the apple could have fallen so far from the tree.  He recalled the scant few times when Marsden had privately admonished his son for his loose, womanizing ways, and implored him to live up to the nobility into which he was born.  But the elder Therrien never did so in a denouncing way.  The father did not condone the behavior and would never have violated those ideals himself, but loved his son too much to force him to change either.  And so his son never did.  And that broke Erwin's heart.

Constance had already pledged him support and trust.  Surely neither of them wanted, at that moment, to contemplate the idea of an heir.  So that left the issue of fidelity.

Swallowing down the lump in his throat, Erwin shook his head resolutely.  If she wanted 'realistic expectations', then he'd have to say the words out loud just to reinforce the notion of what he expected of himself.  "If it's all the same to you, Constance, there will be no need for discretion. I meant what I said last night, about duty and faithfulness."  Or at least fervently hoped he could uphold those words, make the same pledge that she'd reluctantly made to him.  "If we are married, you won't find me in the arms of another woman."

He paused for another moment before continuing.  "She'll be gone from this Keep.  And about the child... Burrows said to send her to Arbutus Vale, and provide for it from afar.  I think... that is the right decision to make."

pomelo

Olive looked up at Erwin’s words, brow creased. She felt less certain than he tried to sound. There will be no need for discretion, he said. Part of her wanted to warn that there may yet be. To tell him that the assurance he was giving her was not what she was asking for. That she even worried that, perhaps, it could put undo strain on their future. To tell him that what she really feared was not infidelity, but the pity others would regard her with if it were known. But something in his expression made her feel that even if Erwin himself was uncertain if he believed his words, that he wanted to. Last night she told him that she’d chosen to trust him. In the war, Olive had found that trust was often a matter of choice; believing that your ally had the same aim as you even when you had little proof to go on. This felt different, but was it? Perhaps, she thought, she needed to shift her feelings from I’ve chosen to trust you as an ally to simply, I’ve chosen to trust you.

So instead of any of those things, she simply nodded and said, ”Okay.”

When he went on to tell her of the thief and her child, though, she tried and failed again to tuck her hair behind her ear. She wished, if he wanted her counsel on this, that he’d asked her before asking her the other thing. She felt she could have spoken more candidly then. Now, instead, she gave a little smile and said, ”Poor Lord Burrows. I think he feels quite taxed, looking after us wayward orphans.” But she knew she couldn’t dodge the point altogether. Earnest now, she asked, ”But is it the decision you want to make?”