Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wulfbauer Catching Fire

Started by pomelo, February 17, 2016, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambie

Mention of the Master of Coin elicited a low laugh from Erwin.  "At least now he'll be relieved that I'm finally listening to him," came his reply.  Her brief answer of acknowledgement, even if not fully confident, finally relaxed his stiff shoulders somewhat.  At least they'd gotten it out of the way, and that was good enough for now. 

He thought on her question briefly, but quickly concluded that he wasn't going to be any surer than at this moment, and it was better to voice his finality before he began doubting himself later.  "Yes it is," he answered, with as much conviction in his voice as he'd had all morning – never mind the fact that it had been Lord Burrows' idea to begin with.  "It's time I cleaned up my own mess.  I'll make sure that the child has a good home and wants for nothing, but enough is enough."

Placing his hands on the edges of his chair, he began pushing himself up to a standing position.  "I suppose he'll want to hear sooner rather than later that I've finally 'come to my senses' about that whole debacle, as he likes to put it."  Pausing, he glanced back down at Olive.  "And about us," he added softly, probing to see if she was as ready (or more aptly, as unready) as him to relay the news of their betrothal.  It all still seemed a bit surreal.

He also gestured with a sidelong glance towards the door.  The next part would have to be her burden.  "Grace probably will want to know too." 

pomelo

The shift in Erwin’s tone felt like a sudden return to reality. For a moment there, she had felt out of time and place talking to Erwin about marriage and fidelity and the weight of the duchy; their marriage and fidelity, and a weight they might bear together. It had ben surreal, but the frank discussion of the fate of the child and Lord Burrows’ steering in it all made it feel not surreal, but all very frighteningly real.

He’ll be relieved I’m finally listening to him. Cleaning up his own mess. Coming to his senses about the whole debacle. That brought Olive back, too, to why this was happening. Whatever else had been said, Erwin was marrying as part of that clean up. Olive had just been swept up in it.

”It sounds like what you should do then,” she replied, a little stiffly. ”Let’s just hope that there’s a future for her or any child in Connlaoth.”

The thought of the future felt like the greatest weight yet. Something in Erwin’s words made her feel like she was already shrinking into a role that didn’t fit her. Dismissed, she thought in that moment, to go report back to her own maid while Erwin talked to the men of state.

She frowned, her expression darkening as she glanced to the door. ”Oh no, if Grace thinks she’s hearing about this from me, she has another thing coming. She made it painfully clear to me this morning that she can learn whatever she wants on her own.” Olive gingerly rubbed the sore lump on her head, glaring at the door. But that left…. what? What was Olive supposed to do now? And not just in this moment. For a moment she thought to cut in to say that she would tell Burrows, that she had to talk to him about a new bridge she wanted to fund from the Carwick money anyway, but she restrained herself. She would have to, she realised, learn how to behave.

”Okay, well,” she started awkwardly, pulling herself out of the chair and back to her feet, ”I guess I will leave you to it.” She stood up facing Erwin, an arm’s length away, feeling suddenly very self-conscious. She stayed there for a moment too long, then finally gave a small nervous laugh. ”Well, right, then. Pleasure doing business with you, Duke Therrien,” she feebly joked in a faux-businesslike manner, holding out her hand. ”Should we shake on it?”

Cambie

Her ominous words about the future of Connlaoth's children sent a cold chill running down Erwin's body as he stood fully from his chair.  It was a sobering reminder that there was still a war raging out there beyond the walls of Wulfbauer Keep, and more blood would be shed before all of it was over.  Two wars, he had to bitterly remind himself – the Grand Duke's vicious crusade, and the strife brewing here in Wulfbauer itself.  And no child was safe.

His chair looked out of place in the middle of the study, and so Erwin dragged it back to the side of the room, half so he didn't have to look at Olive just then.  A hundred thoughts of the war and politics simultaneously flooding his mind, he failed to notice the rigidity of her voice, steeped in almost resentment.

Having replaced the chair back in its proper place against the far wall (and having spent an unnecessary second making sure that it lined up with all the others), he turned and took four long strides back to where Olive stood.  Prepared to usher her towards the door, he was instead greeted with her outstretched hand.  A look of incredulity crossed his features.  "You'll leave me to it?" he repeated back to her.  "You think I..."

The words died on his lips.  Did she really think that he was sending her away while he conversed with the Master of Coin?! A hot sensation flooded his cheeks as he realized their gross miscommunication.  By Ansgar, they weren't even married yet, and already he was speaking past her. 

His green eyes drifted down for a long moment to Olive's offered hand, then back up to awkward smile plastered across her face.  It was clear she was making light of it, though, so with an almost exasperated exhale, he reached out and grasped her hand.  He indulged her with a single shake, before gently directing her hand back to her side, his fingers lingering for a second wrapped around hers.

"How about we make a better business deal.  We'll go speak with Burrows together – because there is no way in the hells that I am doing that alone.  And I'll do the talking with Grace."  And get yet another glare of suspicion from her, no doubt.  Those had become almost commonplace these days.

pomelo

Erwin’s exasperation elicited a sudden laugh from Olive. It was her first genuine, spontaneous laughter, and she regarded him with a bemused smile. ”Oh Erwin, you’re going to have to learn to lighten up if you’re going to get through this.” At first it might not have been clear what ‘this’ was, but after a moment her gaze turned outwards, towards the window over Erwin’s shoulder. The sun had fully risen now and it was a glowing autumn morning. Her smile faltered. ”It’s only going to get darker out there.” It didn’t occur for a moment for Olive to question the appropriateness of instructing a military commander nearly ten years her senior on surviving the bleakness of war, so confident was she that, between them, she was the expert. ”Trust me.”

Olive’s gaze remained cast out the framed view from the window then, thoughts momentarily elsewhere, inaccessible to her present surroundings. She snapped herself out of it with a short exhale and nodded. A small feeling of reassurance and slight embarrassment sparked in her, realizing she’d misunderstood Erwin’s meaning.  ”Okay, we can speak with Lord Burrows together. But no, I don’t want you reporting to Grace either. That’s probably even worse,” she said with a sudden firmness. ”I know she means well, but if I’m to go ahead with this, she has to learn that I’m not a child and she can’t treat me like one. Nobody in this Keep will take me seriously if it looks like I’m still answerable to my mother’s maid like some delinquent little girl.”

Partially dreading running into Grace – who Olive was sure she would be ‘just passing by’ whenever she left this study – Olive went decisively to ring for a footman and asked that he summon Lord Burrows. It might seem childish to avoid the old maid like that, but Olive knew she needed to have a more serious conversation with her about the fact that, whatever Grace may want, she was not a surrogate for Olive’s mother. Nobody could fill that particular lack. Instead she turned to Erwin once the footman was gone with a bracing look. ”Are you sure you’re ready for this?” She gave him a small, lopsided smile, as if to come full circle on the point of levity. ”You probably have ten minutes or so to change your mind before Lord Burrows arrives.”

When the old Master of Coin did arrive, he entered the room with his nose in the sheaths of paper he carried with him. ”I’m glad you called me, my lord,” he started, striding in without looking up. ”I’ve done some work through the evening looking through the duchy’s registry of families…. You’re probably right, at any rate, so we may as well begin discussing your opti– “

The elderly lord sputtered to a stop, having finally looked up. ”Oh. Lady Constance. Ah, good morning. I, uh, didn’t see you there…”

For her part, Olive looked thoroughly amused at the poor man’s comfort. A welcome distraction if ever there was one.

Cambie

Erwin pursed his lips together and resisted the urge to glower at her (of course he knew he needed to lighten up!).  Instead, he ran his hand through the disheveled bird's nest of hair on his head and let his expression fall back into its usual cool, stony facade as a footman came to answer the call.  Only after the young soldier had smartly saluted the two and left the study did he glance at Olive and allow himself a long exhale. 

No, he certainly wasn't ready for this.  She probably wasn't either.  But despite his reservations, the small smile on Olive's face – even if it was teasing – brought about an odd sense of comfort in him.  Despite his best efforts, Erwin could not help but crack a slight grin back at her.  Here they stood, about to make a decision that would change the course of both their lives, and possibly the Duchy too.  Having her there made the choice infinitely easier.

"Maybe I could look a bit more presentable," he said, fixing a wrinkled sleeve.  "But I'm ready."

---

It had been an odd evening for Lord Burrows.  He'd not heard from the Duke again once they parted ways in his office, and the old Master of Coin suspected that he had gone riding, or back to the study to pore over his maps and military reports – or any other thing that Erwin might have done to avoid thinking about the sensitive topic of marriage.  And based on the Duke's reaction to his suggestion earlier that day, he had a nagging suspicion that Erwin might also avoid broaching that topic with Constance Carwick.

Speaking of Constance Carwick, she was nowhere to be found.  That was odd these days, because he frequently found her in his candlelit chambers eagerly pestering him with questions about local taxes, or the status of trade agreements and tariffs, or the disposition of her family's wealth.  It was the latter that he'd hope to speak to her about that evening too.  He'd discovered several discrepancies in the accounts after poring through pages of ledgers, nothing so egregious as to have piqued the curiosity of a less astute man, but discrepancies that a sharp accountant like himself would never have missed.  And yet, when he wanted to find her and ask her about them, she might as well have been a ghost.

At an impasse regarding the financial future of Wulfbauer, Burrows instead diverted his energy into reviewing the Duchy's family registries.  If Lady Carwick would not work, then perhaps another nobleman's daughter would have to do.  Carefully, he curated a list of potential suitors, all from families with stable resources that could help bolster the Duke's position – and provide manpower, if it came to that.  His research was neatly laid on his desk in a well-organized pile when the guardsman came to collect him the next morning.

That's why, for all his preparations, the sight of Constance Carwick in that study brought pause to even the normally-unflappable Lord Burrows.  Having lost his words, the old man stood just inside the doorway of the study, his grey brows raised as he slowly turned back to the Duke.

At the sight of Lord Burrows, Erwin cleared his throat, consciously became aware of his heart thumping rapidly in his chest.  Might as well just say it.  "Lord Burrows, we wanted you to be the first to know." The announcement came out in as measured a cadence as he could have hoped for.  He stepped next to Olive.  "I asked Lady Constance for her hand in marriage, to be Duchess of Wulfbauer, and she graciously agreed."   

Erwin glanced sidelong at Olive, as if silently asking for her to confirm.  At the same time, Lord Burrows' eyes also turned slowly to her, his mind processing this unexpected – but not unwelcome – news.  After taking a second to compose himself, he nodded over the pile of now-obsolete papers.  "Ah – a hearty congratulations to you, my Duke, and–"  He bowed his head in Olive's direction.  "and congratulations to you, my Lady.  I am thrilled for you both."  And, inwardly, relieved about the future of Wulfbauer - or at least the near future.

The three of them stood in silence for a brief moment before Lord Burrows spoke up again. "I'll have to consult the Duchy's finances first of course, but we can see to the arrangements for the wedding as soon as possible."

pomelo

By the time that Lord Burrows arrived, Olive was standing awkward and arms crossed off to Erwin's side. Normally so quick to give her opinion, she was, for once, happy to let someone else do the talking. When both men's eyes turned expectantly to her, at first all she did was give a little shrug and nod.

Grace's hissed instructions from the morning replayed in her ears, prompted by Burrows' mild look of disapproval at her reaction, and she uncrossed her arms, opening her posture back up and, yes, standing up straight. "Thank you, Lord Burrows," she replied, mustering all of her politeness and trying to plaster over the face she nearly pulled at 'wedding as soon as possible.' Gosh, how was a duchess supposed to speak? Thinking on her feet, she offered, "We should consider who we should invite to oversee the event. Since normally it would be the work of the bride and groom's mothers," Olive only faltered a moment, and did not fill in the second half of her sentence. "We can use it to cement relationships. Ask someone with lands near to Kenins', or else someone whose loyalty is faltering."

Lord Burrows nodded and agreed that was a prudent idea and he would look into possibilities. But listening to Constance now, Burrows was distracted by a sudden realization. Once they were married, the stubborn, opinionated young lady would no longer be his problem – she would be Erwin's! Burrows could go back to dealing with the duke who, though he wouldn't say it out loud, he found much easier to manage. And Erwin, in turn, could manage Lady Constance. Unwittingly, Lord Burrows found himself smiling at the thought and was glad he could pass it off as being happy about the marriage.

Lord Burrows resolved to wait a few days, in order to not scare Erwin away from finally deciding to settle down, then bring the issue of the financial discrepancies to Erwin directly. And so he found himself nearly a week later back in the Duke's study. They had spent the better part of the last hour going over the threat a military confrontation between Erwin and Kenins would pose to the duchy's primary exports and which items, in a worst case scenario, they could raise the tariffs on to compensate.

As they were wrapping up, Burrows cleared his throat before saying, "If you have a moment, m'lord, there is one other thing I wanted to go over with you..." He shuffled his papers until he produced a cramped, hand-written ledger. "I was reviewing the Carwick family finances in anticipation of the transfer to your own resources upon your marriage, and I noticed something... odd. You see," Burrows flipped to a page in the ledger where several small transactions were recorded. "I may just be misunderstanding things here. But it appears Lady Constance has been selling little by little her personal possessions – jewelry, mostly, small things of worth her father gave her and the like – to the family trust and withdrawing their liquid worth. The prices she records them for are, well, I have to say fair. And she is within her rights, I suppose," he harrumped a little, clearly disapproving, "but there is no record of what happens to the gold she withdraws against what she sells.

"Now, this had been happening as only small and sporadic transactions and a sharp, diligent eye was required to catch them. But since your betrothal, you'll see here,"
Burrows pointed to several lines of neat by crowded handwriting, presumably in Olive's hand, "she's 'sold' quite a bit more. I imagine nearly the rest of what she could call her personal possessions of worth. It looks," he cleared his throat uncomfortably, not liking to insinuate anything untoward against a future duchess, "as though she's trying to sell what she has to her name before your assets are merged. Again, all sales to her family trust. Very strange. I'm sure, ah, I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding on my part. I'm an old man and not always as sharp as I once was. But I was hoping that you," he cleared his throat again, "might ask her about the matter."

Cambie

Erwin was trying his best.  Since his first day as Duke, he'd put forth his best efforts to learn the minutiae of running Wulfbauer, particularly with respect to topics such as duchy finances and trade.  But by Ansgar, these things were difficult to grasp!  Standing over the maps laid out across the table in his study this early afternoon, listening as Burrows prattled on about exports and tariffs, about market supply and price drivers, he had to expend all of his willpower just to avoid pulling his graying hair out.  Inwardly, he was almost thankful that part of the discussion involved the mustering and movement of troops still loyal to the Duke – at least he understood those parts.

Mercifully, the discussion started wrapping up (he wondered for a moment if Burrows had just given up on trying to drill economic concepts into head at that point).  As he sat down and rubbed at his tired face with his hands, he only half-listened to the old Master of Coin.  Something about Constance selling her personal possessions.  The words coming out of his mouth might as well have been in Essyrni. "What of it?" he asked through his fingers, his tone anything but condescending.  "Is she not supposed to sell her possessions?  I mean, if they're just going back into the family trust, why is that of any consequence?"  At the mention of the uptick in transactions, Erwin lowered his hands and glanced back up at Burrows with a frown.  "I don't understand.  She's writing it all down, isn't she? Sounds like Constance is doing a fine job of tracking all of this."  Before the Master of Coin could speak any further though, Erwin let out a long sigh and shook his head.  "You know what, it will be easier if you didn't provide an explanation right now.  I'll just go talk to her."

Once Lord Burrows had retired from the study, Erwin rubbed his face again before standing with a grunt.  It was only a short distance, down the hall and around a corner, from his study to Constance's chambers.  Of course, it only made sense for them to continue residing in different rooms since they were not yet wed.  As his boots pattered against the stones, though, Erwin reminded himself that they eventually would have to broach that subject – a conversation he was not looking forward to having.  Instead, in his mind he ran through Lord Burrows' questions about her finances so as not to forget, while secretly hoping that they could have a conversation about just about anything else but money.

A knock on his betrothed's closed door yielded no answer, but that was not uncommon at this hour of the day, with the sun only just starting to set in the horizon.  Most of the Keep's staff gave him conflicting reports about Constance's whereabouts, but eventually he found his way to the stables where the old stablehand, Bairn, gave him the response he sought.  "She had her horse saddled and went for a ride westward, my Duke.  Not quite five or ten minutes ago, actually.  You might be able to catch up to her if you are quick."

Erwin glanced up at the orange-blue sky.  Even though the sun was starting to set, its rays were still bright enough to bask the Keep in a brilliant evening glow, with few obstructing clouds.  Not a bad evening for a ride, he thought to himself.  In fact, he decided a second later, going for a ride was precisely the thing that he needed, after a stressful day of talking nothing but politics and economics with his advisors.  "Have my horse saddled too, then," he responded with a nod to Bairn, who bowed low at his Lord's directive.  Erwin turned to another, younger stablehand and added, "fetch a coat and my sword as well, if you will."  It would feel good to ride with a blade again, just like he did in the army. 

When the preparations were complete, Erwin climbed into the saddle and grabbed up the reins.  The breeze was cool on his skin, and he relished in every long inhale of fresh air in his nostrils as he rode his horse out the Keep's gate and down the westward path, following the fresh set of hoofprints along the dirt.

pomelo

With the crisp autumn wind at her back, the sky painted brilliantly blue and orange, and the smell of damp leaves under her horse’s hooves, Constance Carwick felt for the first time in months – like herself. Erwin could have won her hand much quicker, she thought, if he’d just led with telling her she could come and go as she pleased. Still, if he knew where the soon-to-be duchess was headed now, as her sleek black horse slipped past the gates of the Keep, he might not have been so keen to give that particular allowance. The thought of it had Olive anxious and distracted herself. Even though her place in Wulfbauer was more secure now, or exactly because of that, what she was setting out now to do was extremely risky. Perhaps that was why she took less care than she ought to have to not leave a trail Erwin would be able to follow.

Constance led her horse first in the direction of Caerith’s Seat, an airy overlook amongst the sandstone pinnacles that cropped up west of the Keep that was accessible by horse and was one of her favourite spots since childhood. Somewhere she’d be expected to go. But as the horse track wound up towards the heights of the Seat, Olive turned her horse off the track and instead of going up, they turned into the narrow, moss-covered crevice that led into Maze. At least, that is what she and her cousins had always called the narrow paths that wound around the bases of the pinnacles. The air was thick and cool and moist here and at times Olive had to squeeze her knees in for her and Searchlight to be able to pass between the cold stone walls. The darkness was much more present in here than out there and only few golden rays of sun penetrated onto the cool mossy paths. Olive’s saw her breath light up as she passed through one. Finally she turned down a path that seemed almost entirely engulphed by stone; only the smallest crack of light shown from above where the stone slabs nearly met. It was difficult to see, but then the path suddenly opened up onto a small, enclosed clearing, almost like a cave. And in it stood a familiar figure. Tall and thin, the man looked, frankly, haggard. Older than his years, though he was in his early 40s, he looked easily in his fifties, his sandy blonde hair nearly all grey and the gaunt look of someone who never had quite enough to eat. His clothing was drab and worn, beneath a tattered grey wool cloak. A puff of smoke came from his long wooden pipe.

Once she had Searchlight into the clearing, Olive practically flew off the horse and flung her arms around Silas Greene in a completely unreserved embrace. They remained like that for a long moment; not the embrace of lovers, but of long-separated family. Or comrades in arms. It broke when Silas held Olive at arms’ length, hands on her shoulders as he regarded her.

”It’s good to see you, Olive. And looking well, finally with some color in your cheeks.” That did make Olive’s cheeks flush, but not with embarrassment, but guilt. She hadn’t seen Silas – or anyone – since before the ball in Helvion and he looked worse than she remembered. She opened her mouth to say something to this effect, but Silas cut her off. ”Now don’t you dare apologize for that,” he admonished gently. ”It lightens my heart knowing that you’re warm and fed and safe.”

”I’m so happy to see you,” Olive answered, more earnest than she’d been in a long time. ”I’ve missed you all so much and, whatever you say, I feel rotten being warm and fed and safe while you’re out here. But Silas,” she cut across him before he could argue with her on the point. A sudden worry, even fear, flooded her eyes as she thought about what he had called her out here to do. Though she hadn’t had direct contact with Silas since she’d entered the Keep, Olive had various indirect lines of communication to him and their comrades. When she’d learned of the current situation, she felt her insides gripped in an icy clench. ”Silas, I don’t know if I can help. I don’t know if... I don't know what I can do. I can’t cont-“

But now it was his turn to cut her off. ”Yes you can, Olive. You know that you can, or you wouldn’t have come,” he told her, tone firm but reassuring. You can control it. You have to help them.”[/b] While he was speaking, hands still on Olive’s shoulders, a large, furry gray moth floated down and landed on Silas’ stubbled cheek. He paused, as if listening to something, then stood up, stiffening. ”Somebody followed you.”

Both mages turned reflexively to look down the stone passageway Olive had come down, where the dark silhouette of a rider was already visible in the fading light.

Cambie

As Erwin rode in a steady gallop westward, he kept his eyes focused on the disturbed trail of leaves canvassing the dirt road even while the rhythmic sound hooves underfoot brought about a strange calmness in him.  It felt as though the further Erwin strayed from the Keep, the more the burden of the Dukeship almost melted away from his shoulders.  All around him, stone pinnacles rose out of surrounding landscape like beautiful spines out the back of a great slumbering beast.  The formations felt familiar yet foreign to him at the same time.  Somewhere in his mind, he recalled having ridden this way before, perhaps in his youth, with his siblings.  But that was long ago.  By Ansgar, his younger brother must almost be twenty-three by now, and almost a knight.  More than a year had passed since he last saw any of them – at his father's funeral.  You can't escape the duchy, a voice in his head reminded him.  It sounded like his own voice.

Lost in thought, it took Erwin a minute to realize that the upward-sloping road, while undeniably leading toward Caerith's Seat, no longer bore the telltale signs of recent travel, fallen leaves laying undisturbed before him.  With a frown, he eased his horse to a stop.  Constance had not come this far, unless she suddenly learned how to float.  He glanced back over his shoulder with a sigh and tugged at leather reins to turn his horse around and retrace his own steps.

About fifty paces back down the winding path, it became clear to the Duke that the subject of his search had veered off the main path and down towards a cragged crevice in the rocks.  A puzzled look crossed his features, and he pressed his lips together in mild consternation, but nonetheless urged his steed down that trail.  The light of the setting sun was starting to fade fast, and much of the paths at the base of the stone pillars were cloaked in evening shadow.  Yet, the clues of recent activity were all there: a hoofprint in the dirt here, a cracked tree branch there.

"Constance?" Erwin ventured once he'd traversed some ways down the path. "It's Erwin."  His voice ricocheted off the rocks on one side of him and immediately was swallowed up by the moss and foliage on the other.  From up ahead, the faint sound of a neighing horse cut through the rustling wind.  Cautiously, he rode forward under two great slabs that almost formed a long stone tunnel.  He had to cautiously duck his head several times to avoid slamming it against low-hanging rocks. 

"Constance," he called again.  It seemed almost odd that he had to disturb her solace out here to have a talk.  But that was his fault.  Ever since their betrothal, he'd found every opportunity to 'keep busy' just to avoid the awkwardness of it all.  No, you're just giving her space, he thought, and decided that sounded infinitely better.

Although the sky was beginning to settle into evening, the transition from the dark passageway into the clearing still forced Erwin to blink his eyes several times to adjust.  The first thing he saw was the form of a tall, gaunt man staring at him, dressed in tattered, well-traveled garb.  A vagabond, from the looks of it.

And there, behind the man, stood the future Duchess of Wulfbauer.

"Fuck!" The loud curse escaped Erwin's lips as he instinctively dug his heels into the sides of his horse, and reached his left hand down to his scabbard.

pomelo

No sooner had they spotted the rider than, in the same instant, Olive recognized the Duke of Wulfbauer and he began his charge through the narrow sandstone passageway. Seeing Erwin’s hand reach down for his sword, Olive instinctively jumped in front of Silas. It was a gamble that the duke would be less willing to swing a blade with his betrothed in the way, assuming his inertia didn’t already force him to follow through. ”Erwin, stop!”

Silas, however, moved in measured steps back in front of Olive. His voice was soft and calm when he repeated her command, though his eyes were not on the armed, charging man. ”Stop.”

As soon as the words left his lips, Erwin’s horse jolted to a stop. The movement was so sudden that it unseated its rider, flinging Erwin out of the saddle and sending him tumbling to the moist, mossy earth. With a clatter, his sword landed a few feet away from him and Olive scrambled to retrieve it before Erwin got the chance. She held it pointing downward, non-threateningly, but in a white-knuckled grip as she spun on Erwin. Her first instinct was to stomp her boot onto his chest, keeping him pinned down. But she thought the better of it and stared at him, wide eyes blazing.

”What on earth are you doing!?” she demanded, trying to keep her voice down but not entirely succeeding. While there was anger in her tone, it was second to sheer incredulity. ”You can’t just try to behead every stranger you see!”

Silas meanwhile, had gone over to comfort the confused horse, stroking its nose and neck and whispering something in its ear. The horse gave a little snuffled neigh to Olive’s horse, then turned and walked calmly back down the passageway. Searchlight looked once to Olive, then followed Erwin’s horse. Silas patted his neck as he passed. It was better, Silas thought, not to give the man an immediate means to flee this place and call the guard. The horses would wait not far away until their riders fetched them. Silas had told them where they could find the next clearing, which was carpeted with thick, dewy grass.

”Please forgive the fright, Duke Therrien,” Silas said, his voice as calm and soft as it had been speaking to the horses. He came back to them now, putting a hand on Olive’s shoulder. ”I assure you that I mean Constance no harm.”

Cambie

With his blade freed from its scabbard, all of Erwin's martial instincts burst into the forefront of his mind as his horse galloped forward from the passageway.  His eyes darted quickly, left then right, scanning the scenario emerging before him.  Constance and the stranger were standing mere paces from each other, but the man appeared to be unarmed as of now.  Judging from his distance from them, it was possible for him to get between the pair, before the man could produce a blade or make any other move.

When Olive rushed forward and shouted for him to stop, Erwin hesitated, perplexed.  What in Ansgar's blood name was she doing?  He didn't have a chance to further that process that thought, however.  Inexplicably and without warning, his horse suddenly skidded to a halt.  Earth and sky tumbled over each other in his vision as he somersaulted out of the saddle, and his body crashed into the mossy ground with a heavy thud.

Erwin laid there stunned, all the wind knocked from his lungs, his vision swimming in blurriness.  The moment quickly passed though, as his senses flooded back into him, and he realized how vulnerable he was down here on the ground, sword dislodged from his grip in the fall.  With a grunt, he rolled over onto his back – only to find himself staring up at Constance Carwick holding his sword.

Her angered words elicited no reaction from him as he just laid there, staring up at her, mouth slightly agape, an expression on his face that matched her incredulity.  He was trying to protect her!  "Beheading?" he repeated, almost defensively, after a moment of silence, "what are you talking about?  I wasn't..."  The words trailed off.  He'd been so focused on Olive that he had barely noticed Silas shuffling over to comfort his horse.  But a glimpse from the corner of his eye was more than enough.  The way the man whispered gently to his steed, and then it walked itself back down the dark sandstone passageway...

When Silas finally stepped over to the pair, the Duke's eyes slowly turned to where he'd gently placed his hand on Olive's shoulder.  Incredibly, the stranger seemed the most rational of the three.  Erwin's face wrinkled again.  He'd mentioned her by name, and the serenity in his voice was a complete juxtaposition to the situation at hand.  "You two know each other?"

His look of confusion slowly faded away, replaced by a deep scowl and a piercing glare directed right at her.  This time, it was his turn to raise his voice.  How was he at fault here?  "What on earth am I doing? There's a bloody war brewing, and I find you in a hidden clearing, cornered by god-knows-who.  What am I supposed to think?  What in the hells are you doing?!" 

pomelo

”’Cornered?!’ Who says I’m cornered?’” Erwin’s accusations – and clear assumption that she needed him to protect her – immediately pushed Olive from incredulous to, genuinely now, angry and she met his glare with a new light blazing in her eyes. ”As for ’what you’re supposed to think’ – did you stop to think for one second before resorting to your blade? And do you think I haven’t made it this far alive without you or any other ‘noble knight’–“

”Olive…” She felt Silas’ hand squeeze her shoulder, snapping her out of the well of anger that was swelling up inside of her. It was a righteous anger, and it was familiar. Almost comforting. The idea that Olive should feel protected and not threatened by a military man on horseback drawing a blade and rushing towards her. What end of that blade did Erwin think she’d been on for the last five years? And that he felt the need to remind her that there was a war going on. As though she didn’t know! And as though she didn’t know better than he did. And why had assumed Silas was a threat? Would he have thought so as quickly if the man had been dressed in finer clothes or wore the armour of a knight? Her mind kept racing with similar thoughts and at first she glared at Silas, but confronted with his steady gaze, she deflated a little. And her defiant expression transformed into one not yet seen in the Keep: deference.

Olive frowned and glanced back at Erwin, something still smouldering in her eyes, before walking a few paces away. Silas was right; she was letting her temper flare. It was easier to control when she was only in the Keep, surrounded by her surreal new life. But the sudden juxtaposition of these two men, of these two lives, felt like someone lit a fuse in Olive’s mind, threatening to explode in a confused tumult of emotions. What was she really: a young noble lady about to become a duchess, or a hunted mage surviving only at the margins of society?

Silas watched Olive for a long moment then, with that situation at least temporarily defused, he turned back to Erwin. ”I asked Constance to come here. I do realise that the war in the country and the situation here in Wulfbauer mean that request comes with risk. But there has been an accident and innocent lives are at stake, including children. You must understand that there are few people we can safely turn to for aid. I believe Constance can help. I implore you, Duke Therrien, not to prevent her from doing so.”

Cambie

Laying there on his back, Erwin positively bristled at her comments. "Well, you're not out there on the run anymore!" he shot back at her, feeling the heat of anger flood his cheeks.  "You're the future Duchess of Wulfbauer!  That's who I'm protecting!"

He had to ball his fists up tightly at that point to refrain from letting his words spiral out of control into something utterly catastrophic.  Oh, the words that were just aching to burst from his mouth... about how he couldn't have cared less if she was actually a damsel in distress, or some great warrior queen from a child's bedtime story, because he would have acted just the same.  He was trying to protect the future of Wulfbauer, one in which they could both exist.  Why could she not see what he was trying to accomplish here?  Why did she - all of this - have to be so difficult?  She was supposed to be helping him, not undercutting him.

No...they were supposed to be helping each other. 

As she turned away, Erwin felt his body almost trembling at the anger and frustration welling inside him.  In the moment, he couldn't tell if he was angrier at her selfishness, or himself for having lost his composure so quickly.  He'd always been a calm and collected man, even in the midst of battle when facing a hail of gunfire or a bloodied blade swinging at his head.  He'd worn that stoicism like armor in his time as Duke, as though control of his demeanor also meant that he could control the chaos around him.  Yet slowly, that armor had been chipped away over many long months, crumbling under the weight of the Dukeship.  In this moment, he was left completely exposed, and his emotions had suddenly poured out.  A part of him was glad that only Constance (and her acquaintance) were there to witness the outburst, instead of an entire court of his peers.

Still seething but fighting to suppress the frustration into his gut with long breaths, Erwin slowly rolled over and climbed back to his feet.  He couldn't stand to look at her at that moment, as if doing so would affirm just how uncharacteristically agitated he'd become.  Instead, he turned his eyes to Silas. 

"Accident?" Erwin finally asked with a furrowed brow. "What accident?  If aid is needed, of course I would not deny it.  You should have just come to the castle seeking help, instead of out here." 

As soon as he spoke those words though, his eyes widened slightly and he pressed his mouth shut.  The stranger had seemed a common bandit from a distance, but up close Erwin could finally notice the gaunt face and hollow eyes of a man who'd lived too hard of a life.  He'd seen that look before, in the eyes of young soldiers traumatized by the horrors of battle.  Constance Carwick almost had it in her eyes as well, that first day they'd brought her to the Keep as a captured rebel... and a mage.  In an instant he knew the bond between the two of them, forged through their shared suffering, was something that he could never understand.

What he did understand in that moment was the implication of Silas' words.

"You're a mage too."

pomelo

Constance physically recoiled from the heat of Erwin’s anger, taking another step backwards away from him and Silas. She watched him wide-eyed and clench-jawed, feeling like a cat they were cats pried out of a fight, waiting muscles tensed for the other to pounce and strike. He was the only one that had threatened any violence so far. And removed from the trappings of the Keep, here in the gloam of the forest with Silas and knowing others’ lives hung in the balance, Constance was having a hard time not seeing Erwin as a threat. As the enemy. Men like him usually were and in that moment she felt disgusted with herself that she had agreed to tie her future to his.

No, a small voice in her head protested. Erwin had not turned her over when he could have, when she’d arrived as a waif, a runaway, and in the eyes of the law a criminal at his doorstep. He had recalled Wulfbauer’s army. Ceased the official deportation of mages to the camps. Still, the way he looked at her. She found herself trembling, feeling more like a trapped, frightened animal than a lady. Well and truly cornered. But she he held her tongue, watching Erwin closely as Silas spoke.

”Yes, I am,” came the older man’s measured answer. He remained calm, but there was now the smallest hint of tension in his voice. ”As are the majority of the poor souls trapped nearby, caught when the passageway to the cave they were sheltering in collapsed. So you see why it would not be so simple to walk up to the castle, even assuming your guards did not take me for a wayward vagabond. But it has been several hours now, and some are injured. We need to go quickly. You may come with us; of course I understand your concern for Constance’s safety.”

At those words, Olive gaped at Silas. Was he serious? Erwin couldn’t come with them and see what – She closed her mouth again. Of course he would have to come. She couldn’t imagine he’d allow anything else. But real fear shone in her eyes at the thought. Tolerating mages was one thing. Seeing their powers actually manifest, she feared, might mean something entirely different for Erwin Therrien. But she didn’t have time to speak her concern before Silas came and, putting an arm around her, led her down the opposite end of the clearing, inclining his head for Erwin to follow if he wished.

Olive kept glancing down at her hands as they walked over damp sand and mossy rock, vaguely aware of Silas’s quiet murmurs of encouragement. They tread through a narrow passage that passed through another clearing, a little smaller than where they’d come from, and finally – after narrowing to barely allow them to squeeze through one at a time – opening up into a small patch of forest, surrounded on most sides by lichen-blue low rock cliffs. It was immediately clear this was their destination: across from where they came out, a bulk of earth and rock slumped off the cliffside. Olive balked. The largest rocks were considerably bigger than she was, and the tumult of rock, earth, and broken trees looked impenetrable.

When they arrived at the foot of the landslide, it was clear that manual attempts had already been made in vain. Even what looked like paw marks digging at the earth. Silas hurried forward, and a tiny black mouse appeared from between the crags of the rocks and scurried up Silas’ shoulder. His cam visage looked troubled as he listened, but he nodded and looked gravely back at Constance. ”Olive, there isn’t much time.”

Cambie

Even before Silas spoke, Erwin could already anticipate what news the man might deliver.  But hearing those words spoken out loud, confirming his nagging suspicions, still caused the color to drain from the Duke's face.  The man had not been traveling alone after all, but rather with a whole host of mages.  Refugees, if he had to guess, possibly not even from Wulfbauer, but nonetheless fleeing through the wilderness from whatever horrors lay behind them.  Innocent lives, children.

So this was why Constance had ridden out of the castle this evening, why she'd veered off the winding mountain path and deep into this maze of crags and brush – to use her magic to help these trapped souls. 

"...where are they trapped?" was all Erwin could muster in the moment, bereft of the appropriate words for this entirely unfamiliar situation.  He only stole furtive glances toward Olive, unable to bring himself to look at her directly.  He was almost grateful as, silently, Silas ushered Olive away and gestured for him to follow.  For a moment he hesitated, watching their backs vanish into a narrow passageway at the end of the clearing and leaving him alone in the clearing. 

Instead, he stepped over to where his sword lay discarded in the soft mossy earth some paces from him.  He stared down pensively at the gleaming steel.  You were doing the right thing, he stubbornly thought to himself.  The image of Olive turning on him with incredulous anger would not leave his mind though.  It was a microcosm of his entire life these last few bleak months.  How, no matter what good he tried to do, it never worked.  He didn't know her at all, just like he didn't know what it took to be a Duke. 

Slowly, he bent over and picked the sword off the ground, brushing flecks of grass off the hilt and re-sheathing it at his side.  His blue eyes turned back to the passageway at the end of the clearing.  Should he follow them?  Was he prepared for what he might see at the end of that tunnel?  Swallowing the lump of doubt in his throat, Erwin hardened his face once more and willed the apprehension out of him as he quickly squeezed through the passageway after them.  The view from the other side – the massive tumble of jagged rocks piled haphazardly on top of one another – elicited a low exhale from him.  It would have taken a dozen men to move that pile. 

Or one mage.

For the first time in what seemed like forever, he finally turned his full gaze upon Constance - or rather the complete stranger that only looked like Constance.  That she was a mage was no secret, but until now it'd always just seemed to Erwin an abstract label tied to her name.  She had never displayed those uncommon talents in front of him, nor would she ever have had a reason to do so.  And some naïve part of him thought that, having accepted the offer to be Duchess of Wulfbauer, she might have never used those powers again. 

All of that just underscored the gravity of what she going to do.  If he'd previously dismissed her magic as abstract, she was about to reinforce to him just how real it was.

pomelo

Numbly, Olive nodded at Silas' words. There wasn't much time. She needed to act. But she hadn't acted, not using magic and barely at all – really, sine the fiasco with Krah's army. And what had happened then? She'd lost control, and how many people's livelihoods had been destroyed? This was different, she tried to tell herself. People's lives were at stake and there was no army bearing down on her. There was no threat here. She could focus. She wouldn't lose control. But she felt another presence pressing on her mind, eyes boring into the back of her head, and she felt her stomach drop. Unwittingly, Olive cast an uneasy glance over her shoulder at Erwin. The earlier blaze of anger was replaced by something that looked more like fear, or perhaps distrust.

She tried to push him out of her mind and stepped cautiously forward to the slump of earth and rock. Gingerly, she touched her fingertips against the coarse surface of a large slab of rock caught precariously in the mud, looming nearly vertical over her. She breathed in, closed her eyes, and when she breathed out a gust of wind strong enough to bend even the older trees snapped through the clearing, but did not seem to touch the slight young mage. In another second in stopped. But the rock and surrounding earth remained unmoved. "No," she muttered to herself. 'I didn't think so."

Olive took another deep breath, closing her eyes. After a moment, she flattened the palm of her hand against the stone. With that movement, an icy frost spread across the stone and surrounding area and up Olive's arm. When she removed her palm, it instantly melted. She would have to do better than that. Olive could tell she was holding herself back, too afraid of the magic getting out of control. But she wouldn't move anything with frost. Olive took another long breath, trying to clear her mind of doubts and worries. When her palm touched the stone again, a thick layer of ice spread with a crack from the stone through the landslide, freezing whatever water was available in the sediment and between the rocks. It even crept a little farther, curling up the spine of a nearby fern. She breathed out, withdrew her hand, and it melted, a trickle of water seeping from the toe of the slide to her boots. She repeated the process, driving the cold further each time, causes thick wedges of ice to penetrate between the slabs of rock and earth. Each time it melted, the lattice holding the whole thing together weakened.

As Olive worked, Silas stepped back and stood near to Erwin. He pulled out his long wooden pipe, lighting it with a spark of flint. It may have looked casual at first glance, but he watched Olive with a quiet seriousness. He had more confidence in her ability, he knew, than she did herself. But the arrival of the duke had upset things, and the lines in his eyes betrayed the same concern gripping Olive's stomach: that she would lose control of the magic. He looked sidelong at Erwin, studying the man for a long moment as he breathed in a puff of smoke. "Your duchess is quite powerful, when she puts her mind to it," he remarked quietly, perhaps just to gauge Erwin's reaction or perhaps to mask his own concern. He looked down as he said it, a blanket of frost extending now to the soles of his boots. "You should consider yourself lucky."

The clearing melted again, water now poured in tiny rivers around Olive's feet. She paused for a moment, feeling a change, when there was a groan of the rock overturning and tottering forward. Olive had just enough time before in one fluid movement, the whole mass flowed suddenly forward in a river of mud and stone. It was a flash of movement tumbling slabs of rock and flowing earth before it slowed to a stop. Though she'd avoided the fallen slab of rock, Olive found herself caught knee-deep in mud which swept her down the flow a moment before knocking her onto her butt. Olive was chalk white, a cold sweat on her brow. Spent. Everything was still.

Then there was the sound of something scrambling. Where once had been immoveable earth was an opening not much large enough for a man to pass through at the top of what remained of the landslide slump. A pair of eyes, gazing out, flashed in the moonlight.

Cambie

Erwin could do no more but stand as motionless as a carved sculpture, his eyes wide and locked tightly on Olive's form.  The frost seemed to almost radiate from her figure in pulsing tendrils, each arm reaching out farther and farther before melting away in globules of water.  The surreal scene unfolding before Erwin might has well have come out of a child's fairytale or an abstract painting.  In the back of his mind he tried to recall magic being used this way, but no conjured memory could even remotely compare to what he was witnessing.

Even though Silas was stood right next to him, the man's terse voice was but a distant call compared to the sounds of crackling ice and grinding rock.  You should consider yourself lucky.  Erwin turned his head to regard the man, his enthrallment fleetingly disturbed.  The duke's mouth opened slightly at first, produced no words.  After a moment, though, Erwin blinked twice and pressed his lips back together hard.  With an almost ruminative nod, part agreement and part simple acknowledgement, his gaze turned back to the remarkable display of power unfolding before them. 

And then suddenly, the entire heap of accumulated stone and clay gave one final, tortured groan before giving way.  Erwin's heart leapt up his chest at the sound, his reverie dissolving away in an instant.  Without conscious thought, he lurched forward toward Olive even as the jagged slab of rock crashed down, narrowly missing her thin frame.  "CONSTANCE!"

The deluge of mud flooded outward from where the haphazard pile previously had stood, and it took all his balance to remain upright as it flowed around his legs and filled the clearing.  It was another six bounding steps through the squishing, sucking mud before he finally reached her fallen form, dropping down onto his knees in the mud next to Olive.  His hand found a tight grip on her shoulder, and he peered down at her earnestly.  Where moments earlier his face had been consumed in fury, now it was replaced with an expression flickering with trepidation, but also filled with concern.  All of the color had drained from Olive's face, and he could see her chest rising and falling in short, shallow breaths.  But Erwin could see that she was unharmed.  He remained there for a long moment, gaze locked onto hers, only faintly perceiving his own rapid heartbeat and quickened breath from all the excitement.  Frightened.  Awed.  Relieved.

Then, almost instinctively, his face hardened once more with steely resolve, and he climbed back up to his feet.  Slowly, and with several glances back over his shoulder at Olive, Erwin trudged through the lake of stone and rock toward the narrow opening into the cavern that had materialized.  The heap of remaining stones were slick with mud, and climbing up the pile proved to be more difficult than anticipated, as on more than one occasion Erwin almost lost his footing to a loose rock.  Eventually, though, he managed to scramble up to the opening. 

The sky was mercifully cloudless this night, allowing the moon's gleam to shine a shaft of light into the dust-filled hole.  Erwin could make out several huddled forms, but in the light he could not tell just how many were trapped down here.  The one closest by, whose eyes had flashed briefly in the light, looked to be a woman in her fifties, but her ragged clothing was caked in mud and dirt, and her gaunt, malnourished face made it impossible to discern more.  No matter though.  With one hand gripping tightly onto a loaf-shaped rock to keep himself steady, he reached down toward her.  "Take my hand," he uttered.

The woman let out almost a cry of anguished relief, but then immediately froze.  As her blinking eyes slowly adjusted to the light, the blurred silhouette of the man on the other side of the hole came into focus – a man too well-groomed to be anyone associated with their party, and whose finery was a far cry from their own tattered threads.

And he had a sword at his side.

Trembling, the woman recoiled repulsively from Erwin's hand and nearly tumbled backwards back into the cave, sending pebbles bouncing into the darkness.  With another cry, she scrambled back toward the huddled mass of bodies and let out a loud wail.  "Soldier! Soldier!"  As if on cue, a cacophony of moans and shrieks began to fill the cave.

Erwin froze as well, stunned at the unexpected reaction, hand still outstretched.  He could feel the rock and mud underneath his weight starting to shift and wobble, though, and with a clenched jaw, he repeated more forcefully, "Take my hand, quick." When none of the shadowed people came forward, he gave his hand a shake and added, "I'm not here to harm you, I'm here to help."

And after a few seconds of inaction, a different figure crept forward out of the darkness.  The quivering boy couldn't have seen more than twelve summers, and his dirty blonde hair was matted down with blood.  The child's eyes betrayed his deep fear and mistrust, but also desperation.  The boy reached up with a dangerously thin arm, just far enough for the duke to grasp his wrist.  Erwin was almost surprised by how little he weighed, as he practically yanked the youth off his feet and hauled him out of the cave.

Seeing that one of them had escaped their stone coffin, the rest of the trapped bodies began surging forward, some limping, others coughing.  Erwin reached back down the hole again even as he turned over his shoulder and gave Silas a silent, almost demanding look, gesturing with his head for the mage to come help him.

pomelo

Silas was already right behind Erwin when the duke turned to him. At the sight of this familiar face, there was a palpable ripple of relief between the trapped mages. But they still cast wary, sidelong looks at Erwin once they were out of his grip and Silas helped them navigate their way back to solid ground.

The shaken mages were not the only ones casting strange looks at Erwin. Olive, finally managing to pull herself out of the mud, was watching him uncertainly. What was that look he gave her, when he’d rushed to her side? Fear, she thought, and something else she couldn’t quite decipher. But she hadn’t had much time before he’d rushed off. And Olive didn’t dwell on it in that moment either, springing forward – a little wobbly at first – to help the refugees arriving into the clearing.

Wrapping her cloak around the older woman who’d first called Erwin a soldier and her skinny grandson, Olive silently did a headcount. There were only seven. She was sure Silas had said nine. She glanced up to Erwin and Silas; frowning.

”One didn’t make it,” the older woman said quietly, reading Olive’s thoughts. ”She was trapped under the fallen rocks. We tried to dig her out before it was too... well. She’s free from this world, now. Her husband kept trying to get to her. He managed to move some of the rocks, but they came tumbling back down and got his leg. He’s still in there.”

At this news, Olive nodded and scrambled up the slope to the haphazard entrance to the cave. She stopped next to Silas, peering into the yawning blackness. ”Somebody’s still in there.” But from here, Olive couldn’t make anyone out. So, still moving a bit shakily on her legs, she climbed in through the opening and slid down into what was left of the cramped little cave. Even before her eyes adjusted to the dim light, she found the man by his soft sobs. When she could make him out, she saw his crumpled form next to the toe of the slump, one leg at jarring angle. She hurried over to him, putting what she hoped was a reassuring hand on his shaking shoulder. The rock that had trapped his leg had been dislodged by her earlier magic, but what was left of his leg, mangled, bloody and broken was in a bad state.

”It’s all my fault,” he said through a hollow sob as he looked up with haunted gray eyes at Olive. ”She wasn’t even a mage. She came for me. I told her to stay. To remarry. To live a happy life and now…” Genuine sobs now drowned his words and Olive squeezed his shoulder, crouching down next to him.

After a moment she got back to her feet and called up to the cave opening, emotion thick in her own voice, ”I need a hand. I can’t get him up on my own.”

Cambie

Between Silas himself, Erwin managed to pull each of the mages out from the cramped confines of the stone hollow.  The way each of them flinched at his touch was not lost on him, but he numbly brushed their wariness aside and focused on the task at hand.  By the time he lifted the seventh one out of the cave, a bony shell of a man with barely a hair left on his head, Erwin had to brace himself against the rock pile and catch his breath.

He watched Olive scramble up the slope next to him, and his eyes followed her down the hole and into the shadows.  When her cracking voice echoed up to him, he spared the ragged group of survivors one more look before steadying his breath and climbing in after her.  Sliding down the slope, his scabbard ricocheting against the rocks all the way down, Erwin soon found himself hovering over the sobbing man. 

What little moonlight that filtered into the cave from the opening above illuminated the man's badly mangled and bleeding leg, and Erwin had to grit his teeth to prevent his expression from belying his sinking heart.  He'd seen this type of wound before, in men who had been trapped under fallen horses, but not to this extent.  The rocks had smashed the limb completely.  Even with a cursory glance, he could tell that the man's chances of survival were slim.

There was no time to dwell on that though.  With an almost practiced precision, he reached down to his waist and unbuckled his leather belt, removing his scabbard and laying it on the ground.  Kneeling next to the man, Erwin gave his hand a hard squeeze.  "Courage," he said firmly with false assurance, "We'll have you out and back on your feet soon."  And then he slipped the belt underneath the man's upper thigh, just above where a splintered bone protruded from his torn pants, and fastened it tightly with a strong pull.  The man's cries turned into a loud scream.

Glancing over to Olive with a foreboding look, he said simply, "Help me get him up."  He roughly pulled the man up into a sitting position, and the two of them managed to lift him over Erwin's shoulders. The jostling caused the man to scream even louder, but Erwin's face hardened and he drowned out the noise.  The precarious climb back up the slope was much more difficult with the added weight, and he had to steady his swaying body against Olive's on more than one occasion.  Step by step, though the pair climbed out of the pile of rocks and back up to the opening where Silas was already waiting to help. 

Dimly, Erwin realized that, somewhere during their ascent, the man's screams had stopped. 
Together, the three of them brought the unconscious man back down into the clearing and laid his limp down on the only mossy patch of grass not covered in thick mud, as the the rest of the survivors swarmed around them.  With the man's weight off his shoulders, Erwin doubled over and steadied his hands on his knees for a moment, licking his lips and inhaling heavily to catch his breath.  He watched the man for a brief moment, almost feeling each ragged breath that escaped from blue lips, before turning to Olive.  Even in the darkness, her emotions were clear on her face.

Swallowing, Erwin lifted a hand to her back and drew her some paces away from the injured man and his cohorts.  "His leg is crushed in multiple places," he muttered with a grainy voice, almost whispering, a grim look on his face.  "The tourniquet gives us some time, but not much.  I've seen this injury before, and it's bad, very bad.  He'll need a surgeon if he's to have a chance.  And if he lives – if he lives - I don't know if his leg will survive with him."  He pressed his mouth together and gave her a hard look, not mentioning what she probably already knew, that finding a willing surgeon would be a near-impossible task. 

And he did not mention the other option, involving his sword... and mercy. 

pomelo

Concern was etched on Olive's face, and a deep sadness at the man's sorrow and regret over his wife. But there was a firmness in her expression, too, and she did not seem nearly as shaken by the bloody, gory mess of the injury as one might expect from a young lady. The violent reality of war had touched her on many occasions and, in other circumstances, she had chosen Erwin's unspoken option. But now they would not need to make such a crude choice. With a determined look, Olive shook her head.

"No, not a surgeon," she responded, her green eyes leading Erwin's to where Silas was already crouched next to the injured man. As Erwin had spoken to Olive, Silas had already set to work cutting away the man's trousers from the crushed and bloody leg with a long, bone-handled knife. He tapped a green-gray ash out of his pipe into his hands and, spitting on them, rubbed it into a thin paste, which he spread over the worst of the bleeding.

"Olive," he called her back, his eyes not leaving his work and his voice still eerily calm, but now with a steady focus and underlying urgency, "I need two young rowan beams. I saw a tree on the far side of the clearing."

Silas passed her the long knife and Olive sprang off in the direction he'd indicated with a newfound energy. Before Olive came back, the little black mouse appeared by Silas' side with two companions. Each mouse carried a ball of a different kind of moss. Taking the moss from each, Silas thanked them and whispered something else, and the mice scurried hurriedly away. Counterintuitively, Silas removed now Erwin's ersatz tourniquet. Where the blood might have been expected to surge out after this, it only seeped slowly into the green-gray paste the mage had applied there, making a dark ooze. Silas tore up the mosses into small pieces and, taking a handful of nearby mud, made a thick paste which he slathered over the man's open wounds. At first nothing happened, but when Silas breathed a fine, shining powder he'd produced from a small pouch, the thick muddy paste began to glow softly silver green. When the glow subsided, what was left was not untouched skin exactly. It looked more like the bark of a beech tree. It was stiffer than normal skin and the color was a pallid green-gray, but there would be no more blood lost.

The other seven mages watched on in nervous anticipation, their eyes wide. Whatever the common rumors in Connlaoth might be, most of them did not know how to effectively use their magic. When could they have learned? From whom? The older ones had been taught, like everyone else in Connlaoth, that using magic was the greatest sin and most had been taken from their families and raised by the Church. The children had only been raised in war. Many of them feared, as Olive did, that if they used their magic, they would quickly lose control of it. So seeing Silas work in this calm, practiced, steady way was a wonder.

Olive returned with two mottled silver beams of rowan. They were longer than the man's leg and did not look sturdy enough to make a reliable brace out of. Silas took the young tree beams and the knife and deftly cut off the clusters of small red berries, handing them back to Olive, and stripped the bark off one side of each beam. When that was done, he took the half the berries back from Olive and crushed them against the stripped side of the beams, staining them red. He then crushed the rest in his hands and spread the red juice over the man's leg, staining it the same color. When he held the beams to either side of the man's leg, at first nothing happened. Silas closed his eyes, breathing in and out, whispering something that Olive couldn't understand. Not, she thought, a human language. And the rowan responded. Slowly at first, new shoots emerged from the rowan wood, stretching over the man's leg, then once it had begun, it started to spread rapidly, like a living, ravenous tree devouring the man. At a change in Silas' whispered mutterings, though, the sudden growth ceased and when Silas placed his hands on the leg, the wood began to subside, shrink inwards until what was left, to anyone's eyes, was only a leg. A leg of wood.

Silas let out a slow, shaky exhale, nearly spent himself. Just then the first little black mouse appeared again on his shoulder with a mouth full of teaberry, its smooth, dark green leaves and bright red berries shining dully in the moonlight. "Thank you," Silas said as he took the little bundle. The mouse stayed there to watch, whiskers twitching curiously, as Silas tore a few of the fragrant leaves and placed them gently between the man's lips.

The man stirred slowly, then woke with a start. The scream that had been on his lips when he'd lose consciousness cried out now, but Silas put a hand on his shoulder and the man stopped, looking at Silas with wide, frightened eyes. "Flex your leg," Silas instructed gently. At first the man looked like he didn't understand, then he looked in shock down at his leg.... At what had been his leg, and now looked like something between a leg and a tree. But, cautiously, he did as he was told. And the man's foot flexed, then his knee jerked. With a few more tries, it appeared as though the man were controlling it almost as normal. "Good," Silas nodded. "It will always be a bit stiff, but it will carry you. Let's get you to your feet. We need to keep moving."