Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wulfbauer Catching Fire

Started by pomelo, February 17, 2016, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambie

Despite his best efforts, their brief, terse interaction hung over Erwin like a dark cloud as he went about his tasks for the remainder of the day.  A meeting with Lord Burrows regarding the status of the trade markets and the ongoing health of the castle's finances was mercifully cut short when even the old Master of Coin could tell that he wouldn't get through the inattentiveness evident in the Duke's eyes.  "Ah... these accounts can wait, my Lord.  We'll reconvene tomorrow," he'd said, giving the younger man a pat on the shoulder.  The Duke was easily distracted (especially with mundane matters of governance), but this look was something else.

Even matters of the Duchy's security only briefly snapped him out of his absentminded state.  Letters had arrived from several minor houses professing continued loyalty to Wulfbauer Keep, and presaging the arrival of their respective Lords in a matter of days to reaffirm that loyalty in person.  And, in a moment of relieved comfort, Erwin opened a letter in his younger sister's distinct penmanship offering words of encouragement and well-wishes.  He kept that letter in his pocket the rest of the day as he meandered from duty to duty.  When all his meetings were concluded, he spent the rest of the afternoon aiding the builders and guards hauling stones up to the north wall to repair an eroding parapet there.  The physical labor was a welcome reprieve from bureaucratic work – and, most importantly, it allowed him to turn his brain off from the events of the previous evening and that morning.

The moon was high in the cloudless evening sky by the time Erwin found himself alone in his chambers and the troubling thoughts returned.  The fear and loathing in Constance's eyes flashed vividly in his mind, directed at him like he was some sort of monster.  Her face dissolved into the visage of the old woman, who'd borne the exact same expression in that dusty cave.  The memory shot a pang of regret down his spine, and he felt his heart race a beat faster.  With a heavy exhale, he meandered over to his desk and dropped down into the hard wooden chair. 

After a long silent moment of inaction, he finally pulled a fresh blank parchment from under a heavy paperweight and a charcoal stylus.  Forcing his heartbeat to return to a steady clip, and consciously regulating each breath exhaling his mouth, he sketched away.  The old mage woman and her grandson slowly took form in dark lines.  Erwin was only faintly aware of the crackling of the nearby hearth and the breeze rolling in from the wide-open shutters by the time he finished and threw down the pencil to inspect his work.  Neither of the refugees had looked at him with any hint of optimism, but here, on this page, both the woman and the lad's faces were filled with foreboding – but also, as idealized, hope.  Perhaps hope that this new, untested Duke would finally enact meaningful change.

He didn't know how long he sat slumped in that uncomfortable chair, eyes alternating between the rough sketch and the flickering light of the subsiding fire, but eventually a sound at the door snapped him out of his reverie.  A knock, and then a slight creak as the door swung open ever so slightly.  And that voice that drifted in.  Constance. Her presence was entirely unexpected at this uncommon hour, and it took a second for him to comprehend just who was calling.  Finally though, he shook the surprise away and hastily stood, chair legs scraping against the stone floor.  Striding over to the door, he gently took hold of the heavy ring latch and slowly opened it enough to allow what faint light was left in the chamber to spill into the hallway and illuminate Olive's frame.  He peered down at her silently with his tired eyes, before finally swinging the door open further. "Please, come in," he said in a soft, hoarse voice, gesturing with an inviting hand.

Inwardly he didn't want to admit it but, for the second time that day, a wave of relief washed over his form as though the fact that she had not fled the castle was a victory.  The relief was also mixed with apprehension, perhaps at the unknown conversation yet to come. 

pomelo

The appearance of Erwin's form in the doorframe made Olive swallow a hard lump in her throat. Finding him awake and willing to talk to her, she had to remind herself, was what she should have hoped for. But still she had to steel herself to follow his gesture of invitation into the room with a quiet, "Thanks."

Now that she was here, Olive at first wasn't sure what to do, where to put herself, what to say. After a moment of hesitation, she simply chose the nearest option and perched half-sitting, noncommittally and not quite settled, on the edge of Erwin's bed. That thought on its own sent a cold feeling in her stomach; it was the same bed she'd crawled into as a small girl, wedging herself between her parents. She felt small now, and vulnerable.

"I owe you an apology. I'm sorry for how I acted this morning. I – I don't know what happened," she said after letting out a shaky sigh, her gaze fixed on some indecipherable point in the middle distance. She sat with her hands in her lap, fingers interlaced in a tight grip. Though she spoke softly, there was an emotion clear in her voice that was akin to fear, but this time it was not directed at Erwin. "Sometimes I saw something similar, I think, in people who'd come from the camps. Even though it might have been months since they'd escaped, they had spells were they couldn't understand that they weren't there anymore, that those particular dangers and threats were in the past. It might be any number of things that triggered it and it could be very difficult sometimes to bring them back to the present..." She paused to swallow again, feeling a burning shame kindle in her again. She frowned, continuing in a lower tone, "I think something like that happened to me. I- It never happened to me before, out there. I don't know what's wrong with me now." She rested her face in her hands and let out another long exhale then drew her hands down to her chin, fingers curled and a fingernail pressed into her lower lip. She felt deflated, defeated, and ashamed. Ashamed to be anything less than strong, defiant, and fighting.

But she forged forward, glancing with a nervous uncertainty at Erwin. "I think seeing you there, out there, with those vulnerable people..." Olive wanted to stop, to leave it there and keep the rest to herself. But she knew she owed Erwin an explanation. She bit her lip, hands falling to her lap again. "When I was in the camps, I made a mistake, a terrible mistake. Trusting a man like you, a nobleman who said he wanted to help. I believed him and because – because of that – I – " She tried to go on, but Olive felt her throat tighten, choking out any more words. Instead she glared furtively at the ground, angry at the hot welling of tears that threatened to fall if she went on.

Cambie

Still a little raw from that morning's conversation and unsure of what was to come, Erwin silently positioned him near the hearth after she took the edge of his bed.  He readied himself, once again, to assuage her of any doubts she might still harbor about his intentions. 

What came next took him by complete surprise. 

He had not been prepared at all for her to launch into an apology, and then try and find the words to explain her own actions.  The way her eyes shifted uncomfortably around the room at anything except him, the clear tinges of emotion in her wavering voice... Olive was opening herself up to him in a way he'd never seen before, and it was difficult to reconcile this young woman before him with the weary, hardened persona that she'd worn like armor for all these months. 

He said nothing when she started describing the poor souls she'd encountered, the ones who'd managed to flee the horrors of the camps only to be trapped in those same horrors in their minds, men and women scarred physically and mentally from the pains they'd endured.  He didn't need to explain to Olive that he understood their plight, that he'd seen the same shock in the faces of dozens of soldiers who'd survived a bloody melee.  That she herself carried that same trauma with her now.

When her words finally failed her, and her eyes glistened dangerously in the dying light of the hearth, Erwin finally swallowed the lump in his own throat.  Letting out a soft breath and pushing himself off the wall, he snatched up the wooden chair and carried over to where she was perched at the edge of the bed.  Setting it down gingerly across from her, he sat and reached out to envelop her hands with his own, giving them a gentle squeeze. 

"There's nothing wrong with you, Constance," Erwin said in a soft voice, trying to reassure her with a steady gaze, "and there is nothing to apologize for."  He'd never encountered her in such a vulnerable state before, and just the sight of her near tears brought a small wince to his own face.  So, she'd misplaced her trust in a nobleman before and had paid some sort of terrible price for the decision.  He had to remind himself that it was her very father – the Duke of Wulfbauer – who had sent her away to the camps in the first place.  The thought brought about an almost reflexive desire to console her in the moment. 

He gave her hand another squeeze and leaned forward.  Another pang of regret ran up his spine and materialized on his features.  Regret for his actions the previous night.  Regret for having caused all of these simmering emotions to bubble to her surface and consume her.  Regret that he could have been – or perhaps he was – just like whatever nobleman betrayed her trust.  "I know it must be difficult to talk about it, and you don't have to explain anymore if it pains you too much.  But I'll listen to as much as you want to tell me, Constance."

And if she spoke any further, he silently resolved to never betray her trust like how this nobleman from the camps did.

pomelo

”He’s the Duke of Bellkrath now, I’ve heard.”

Constance couldn’t bring herself to say the name of Mercuxio Rastognlir, but even mentioning him her shaky voice steadied into something cold, full of a different emotion all together. And yet she wasn’t sure if she wanted to go on, if she wanted to share this with Erwin. Or with anyone, for that matter. Part of her never wanted to speak about it again. What would he think of her? But her reaction last night and this morning made her realise perhaps she needed to. And who else did she have? She had no siblings, her cousins were dead. She would never have dreamed of telling her parents, even if they lived; one of her most fervent hopes was that they died without ever really knowing what they had sent their daughter into. She hadn’t even told Valerian about her time in the camps more than a few words. He would listen now, she knew, if she turned to him. But Olive had to think about what was fair to him now that their lives were necessarily diverging. So she went on.

”But he was a priest at the time. A Confessor, though he kept that to himself. He – I trusted him, maybe because I knew him. I had been friends with his sister. Maybe it was easier to trust him, though I hate to admit it, because he was like me: a highborn noble who never expected to find themselves in such a place.” Her cheeks burned with shame at the thought, and the memory of that very accusation that had been thrown at her. At the time she hadn’t been able to acknowledge the possibility that it might be true, but now she wasn’t so sure. ”Or maybe I just needed somebody to trust. Someone who might actually have the power to do something. I tried to do everything I could there, leveraging my position to protect the people I could. But I was just a girl, and still a mage, whoever my parents were. But the adult son of a duke, of the duke whose lands held the camps, and a representative of the Church… When he said that he wanted to change things, that he wanted to help, I believed he could. I was such a fool. Those were the very things that should have told me I could never trust him. But he did change things…”

Olive’s voice dropped and she fell silent for a moment, grappling with the memory. With the very real hatred she felt just recalling the man. She would kill him, if she could. She would do it with her bare hands.

”And when the Mordecai in the camp suspected him, I protected him. I thought I was protecting everyone and it nearly cost me my life… I’ll bear the scars of that mistake until I die.” Figuratively as well as physically. ”Gods, if I hadn’t… If they had detained him before he was able to call the others from his Order…” She had to stop again, hanging her head in her hands. But when she lowered them, they found Erwin’s again, and she looked up at him for the first time since she’d began. Her eyes were wide, plaintive.  ”They murdered everyone, Erwin. Everyone. Everyone except me. And I – “ Her throat closed again and she dropped her gaze. She was, she realised, shaking. ”He made them spare me. I was too personal for him, I think, to let them kill me with the others. For a long time, I wished bitterly that he hadn’t.”

Cambie

"Duke Rastognlir?"

Erwin felt the hairs on the nape of his neck stand up on end, and his frame went tense and rigid at Olive's revelation that the nobleman who'd betrayed her in the camps was none other than Duke Mercuxio Rastognlir.  He'd never met the man and had no preconceived notion about just what the Duke of Belkrath was capable of.  The only details he possessed came from his councilmen who knew of these matters better than him.  Just having some knowledge of his background as a disciple of Ansgar could have given Erwin some clues though. 

But by his count, that made two Dukes who'd played a part in causing Constance Carwick such trauma.  Her own father at first, and now this man.  Erwin fervently hoped that he would not be the third.

The anguish in her eyes, the trembling of her slight frame, forced him to clench his jaw tightly.  With another squeeze of her hand, he listened quietly and intently to her story of how her misplaced faith in the Duke Rastognlir had resulted in so many deaths.  Small wonder that she'd been so hesitant to place any trust in Erwin to help those mages trapped in that cave.  If their positions had been reversed, he probably wouldn't have trusted Duke Erwin Therrien either. 

A long silence fell between them after she divulged the guilt she carried.  He too looked down, at the ground between them, as he let the weight of her words sink in, imagining the toll that such experiences could take on a person.  Thoughts drifted back to their strained conversation in the library, the way her gaze had burned with such fury. 

I will try to save every single one that I can.   With the right context, every word she'd spoken, every action, suddenly seemed justifiable.

When he finally looked back up, her trembling was palpable.  He didn't know the proper words to express how heartbroken he felt for her in the moment.  His own guilt at hearing about her experience in the camps wouldn't even compare to the heavy burden weighing on her soul.  Instead, with a low exhale, he gently maneuvered himself off the chair until he was sitting next to her on the edge of the bed.  He reached over and found the hands in her lap, interlacing his fingers with one of her own.  The silence lingered as they sat their, only broken by the sound of wood crackling in the hearth, and the sound of their shared breaths.

His eyes remained downcast for a moment, before lifting to search for her own gaze.  "I promise you, Constance, from the very depths of my heart, that I am not that man," he said softly but resolutely. "I will never do to you what he did.  By Ansgar, I hope I never know such cruelty." 

A simmering anger started to well up inside the recesses in his own belly, and for a second the thought crossed his mind of the entire Duchy of Belkrath, Wulfbauer's very own neighbor, consumed in flames or swallowed up by the earth.  Was that thought cruel in and of itself?

Shaking that feeling away, he continued, "I know that's the sort of promise that earned him your confidence in the first place, but... I swear on my father's grave, I will not betray your trust.  No matter what happened in the camps, you're here now and alive, and you can start righting those wrongs.  And I'll be there beside you each step of the way."

WE will save every single one that we can, he thought.

pomelo

When Erwin's gaze found Olive's, hers mirrored the grandmother and grandson as Erwin had idealized them: full of foreboding, but with a clear note of hope. Just as had been the case with Mercuxio all those years ago, Olive needed someone to trust. But since she first met Merric in the ramshackle chapel they'd erected in Valarinus, Olive had spent five years surviving the war. She'd learned a lot about people in that time, and how to trust her gut. And in the quiet of that moment, Olive trusted Erwin Therrien.

A shadow flickered across her features, though, at Erwin's next words. 'No matter what happened in the camps, you're here now and alive.' She physically recoiled at the thought, her hand clenching in Erwin's. She looked away from him to the dying fire, her expression awash with both guilt and sadness.

"But that's the thing. By no merit of my own, I'm spared again. Because of the accident of my birth. Living here like this, safe inside a defended castle with a warm fire and always enough food and – I know it sounds silly, bit it feels terrible. I feel terrible." She trailed off for a moment, then realizing how that must sound, looked up at Erwin. "Please don't misunderstand me. I'm very grateful, Erwin. You didn't have to take me in and you've given me back... Well, as much as my old life as is left. But..." Olive searched for the words to express the anguish she felt, being set apart from the nation's downcast mages. "You were in the military," she finally tried, searching for an analogy, "doesn't it weigh on you living like, well, this," she looked around the comfortable and secure room, "when you think of your men out there? It weighs so heavily on me..."

Now that Olive had opened a crack of vulnerability, all the doubt and misgivings she'd kept bottled up in the last months were trickling out.

Cambie

Erwin opened his mouth as if starting to respond but had to pause when words failed to emerge, brow furrowing slightly upon hearing her question and then repeating it in the back of his mind. In that moment, he realized he'd never really given the thought any serious consideration.  Or at least not since the moment he had been recalled from the field when his father had been elected as the new Duke.  Looking around the room now, though – the warmth of the hearth, the woven tapestry hanging on the wall near decorative racks of swords and guns, even the soft bedsheets on which they sat – it all did suddenly seem excessive.  Too grand. 

"I never really considered it that way, I guess," he ventured.  "I do often think of my men still out there in the field, wondering what battles they are fighting, how they are faring.  And I do often wish that I was back out there with them instead of here."    He glanced at her quickly with an embarrassed expression and pressed his mouth together, hastily adding, "not fighting Calent's war anymore, I mean.  Just... out there with them."

He felt something in that moment.  Was that the guilt that Olive had described?

Realizing that he was starting to grind his back teeth together, Erwin let out a low cough.  He turned towards Olive, an uncertain look on his face as he contemplated finally say what he was about to say out loud.  What he might have hinted to her before, but wouldn't dare acknowledge to any other person in this castle.  If they were to be truthful with each other though...

He took a deep breath.  "I wish I was back out there with my men because I understood them.  Your nobility, your house and titles, those only meant something out there if you forced it to mean something.  But if you didn't do that, then you could choose to share the same life as the soldiers next to you.  In the heat of battle, to not care if the next man was the son of a nobleman, or the son of a cobbler – as long as you looked out for each other.  I understood that life."

He frowned as his eyes wandered around the room, before licking at his dry lips and turning back to her.  "This I don't understand.  The Dukeship, the politics, the governing, these responsibilities they entrust in me.  I don't know what in the hells I'm doing, Constance, if we're being honest with each other.  Every day in this castle I feel entirely inadequate.  It's like I'm drowning but forgot how to swim to the surface.  At least out there with my men I know what I'm facing.  I could be stabbed out there but it would be from the front and not the back."

His face screwed up with guilt then, but a different kind of guilt than that of which she spoke.  Guilt at the recognition of his own self-interest, of his weakness.  At least her intentions came from a place of compassion and selflessness.  "I suppose to answer your question, it doesn't 'weigh on me' like the way I think you mean, because I don't find comfort in this life at all." What came out of his mouth next was a laugh of exasperation.  "Gods, that sounds so selfish.  Of course any of them out there would gladly trade places, to have a soft bed, hot food, the warmth of a fire.  What am I complaining about?" 

The mirthless grin quickly disappeared from his face as he found a spot along the far wall to concentrate on.  "I do wish I could be back out there with my men.  But I... I can't give up this life now though.  If I do, then people like Kenins wins, and everything goes back to how it was before.  The war continues, the country continues to burn, the mages out there die, my men die.  Nothing changes."

pomelo

Olive was about to ask if he meant that really, considering what battles his men might have been fighting before Erwin, as Duke, had recalled them to Wulfbauer. But he quickly corrected himself and Olive only nodded, listening. Somehow listening to him and his own worries drew her out of her own personal anguish a little and brought her to the present.

”I know what you mean, about being the same as any other man, out there. I stopped being Constance Carwick after Mercuxio sent me away from that first camp. In that place over our northern border, nobody cared what your title or lineage might be.” A chill entered Olive’s voice as she spoke of it, her eyes becoming distant. That was not a place she often recalled. And for good reason. ”I won’t pretend that it wasn’t terrifying, losing what protection my name had granted me in the first camp and, I suppose, my entire life up to that point. The fear that comes when you’re trapped and truly powerless, held by those who consider you little more than an animal or a plaything…” She didn’t elaborate, and for a long moment she was silent. ”But after I escaped, living on the run with others like me, then there was a real camaraderie in being the same as everyone else. Finally I was really worth what I could do, what I earned with my own actions. And I wasn’t alone. Olive let out a little puff of an exhale, looking down guiltily and adding, ”Silas says I’m in the same position still; but now I’m in a position to do so much more. But it comes at the cost of that camaraderie. And I know others believe I have betrayed them. Believe that if I’d been loyal to the cause, I never would have agreed to leave the dungeon once I’d arrived here.”

That thought had not ceased to trouble Olive. It was not, in fact, confirmed. But it was the logical extension of what many of her compatriots had said. And if the roles had been reversed, would she feel any differently? How could they not think that she had given up their ideals for the sake of her own personal benefit? She glanced at Erwin’s hoarse laugh at the thought of his soldiers who would be so quick to trade places with him. ”I can’t say that I don’t appreciate the physical comfort of being here. Out there, hunger and cold can be a more deadly enemy than a soldier. But out there we shared everything. But having these comforts when they don’t…” She sighed. ”Well, imagine if we both had our way and were back out there, instead of here. I imagine things wouldn’t be quite so cordial, were we to meet.” Then it was her turn to give a short laugh, glancing over at him.

”But Erwin,” she continued, more earnestly now, and she turned a little to face him, ”you must realise that when the lords chose a new line to take the Dukeship that they wouldn’t have only thought they were choosing your father. I know he passed before he ought to have, but he was not a young man. I know I wasn’t in the room, but I can’t imagine that those lords did not also think that they were choosing you. And listening to you talk about your relationship with your men, you remind me of my father. Not some pompous aristocrat, like you might find in Hellvion, but a Duke of Wulfbauer.”

Cambie

Erwin looked sidelong to Olive at her laugh.  Her comment elicited a small chuckle from him after a short pause and, for the briefest of moments, the levity seemed to lift the tension from the room.  "Perhaps it would be cordial.  I learned a lesson about hotheadedness last night, after all."

At her mention of his father, he turned his gaze back toward the soft glow of the hearth's last embers, refusing to die out.  It made him wonder about Marsden's last moments, whether the elder Therrien had also fought with every breath to cling to the last vestiges of life, refusing to let the cold of death overtake him before he could complete his duties as the Duke.  Marsden was not a young man when he died, but neither was he old and infirm.  He should have had more time, Erwin thought.  More time to see to the duchy's well-being, while his eldest son learned what it meant to govern.

"When they first told me of his death, I thought it was a joke," he said quietly, almost to himself.  "Even when they brought me his sword, the family blade of the Therriens, I didn't want to believe it.  That sword was always destined to come to me, but not so soon."  Erwin pointed to the ornate greatsword set upon a pedestal along the opposite wall.  The symbol of the House of Therrien,red and orange reflections from the hearth dancing along its gleaming blade.  Even now, it felt like it still belonged to his father.

He let out a soft sigh.  "If the other lords thought of me in that room at all, I'm sure they imagined that it would've be many years before I assumed this Dukeship.  It is what it is.  Now I'm just trying to live up to their expectations, to my father's ideals."

He glanced to Olive then, frowning slightly at the comparison to Duke Harlow.  The former Duke was, by all accounts, a capable leader and a stoic defender of Wulfbauer  A man with many qualities.  But it was those some of those same traits that had led him to send her only daughter to suffer and perhaps die in the mage camps, in a bid to ensure Wulfbauer's future.   That daughter who now sat next to Erwin.  He didn't even want to think about being put in that same situation.  If protecting the duchy required him to sacrifice his family, sacrifice Constance... well, he didn't think he could do such a thing.

Instead, he ventured, "I want to protect my men, protect the people of Wulfbauer, as best as I can.  And maybe this is the best position for me to accomplish that, as much as I dread it."  He looked to her again.  "Silas is right, you know.  You can do so much for the mages from in this castle."

pomelo

"Perhaps."

Privately, Olive thought Erwin was probably wrong, on both accounts. If anyone should have had more years as duke, she thought a little bitterly, it was Avery. Or Caspian, who was always so bright and full of life and mirth and whose loss she could still barely bring herself to think of. Both consumed by the unsatiable machine of war. Part of her wanted to remind him of this, of them, but she couldn't bring herself to. Still, given the quick succession of her own father's assassination, and the deaths of Avery and Caspian in battle, she doubted very much that anyone but Erwin assumed it was a given that the younger Therrien would have 'many years' to learn at his father's side. Instead, she just listened, watching his features as he spoke of his father and his resignation to his role.

Nor was she certain that Erwin or Silas was correct that she would be able to do more here. Have a greater influence? Perhaps. As a symbol, not as an active participant driven by her own agency. She could, she thought, live with that but it made her feel trapped, small. But perhaps Erwin was right, and Erwin.

Olive stayed where she was for several long moments, watching the glow of the fire's embers, unconsciously moving her thumb against Erwin's hand. Suddenly, it seemed, she remembered that it was the middle of the night and that she had, after all, intruded. "Sorry, I came and imposed myself on you well past reasonable hours. I'll let you sleep."

Olive lingered for a moment, then rose. "Thank you, Erwin, for... talking to me." She turned to see herself out, but something caught her eye and before she was at the door, she found herself drawn over to the sketch of the woman and her grandson. Olive stared at it wordlessly for a long time. The fact that Erwin had taken the time at all surprised her, and moved her. Nor did she miss the trace of hope in the subjects' eyes. Erwin's hope for them, perhaps. But more than anything, Olive was impressed that Erwin had seen them. Really seen them. "This is very good."

Cambie

Lost in their conversation, Erwin had almost forgotten just how long ago the sun had set.  But when she finally released his hand and hastily climbed to her feet, the tiredness hovering over his body finally crashed down.  It'd certainly been a long day.  A long two days.

"Of course," he answered with a half-nod.  He pulled himself to his feet almost instinctively as Olive made her way for the door, the polite gesture having been ingrained into his mind since youth – yet another product of their shared nobility.  "Please know that you can come talk with me whenever you want." 

When Olive stopped in her tracks and turned her gaze to his wooden desk, he suddenly remembered what he'd spent the earlier part of his evening doing.  The memory of the old woman flooded into him again.  It was fuzzy at first, but slowly color and life inundated the thought until Erwin, once again, could see the image of the woman's face as though she was there in the room with them.  He knew then and there that it would be another restless sleep.  How long could this woman haunt his thoughts?

Slowly, he slowly stepped over to where Olive was lingering.  Together, they gazed down at the parchment, old woman and young boy etched in a rough pencil outline.  With a soft breath, he reached down and picked up the sketch.  "I... couldn't stop thinking about them," he explained after a moment's silence.  "And drawing sometimes helps me process my thoughts."

He stared intently down at the artwork.  The old lady stared back up at him with charcoal eyes, and somehow the sketch seemed more willing to forgiving than the actual woman had the previous night.  It was an idealized representation, but one needed ideals to strive towards. 
"Maybe it's a reminder of who I'm supposed to be serving," he said, half to himself.  Saying those words out loud seemed to almost invigorate him, and for the first in two nights, he felt more at peace at the thought of the elderly woman.  Perhaps in time, he might be able to do right by her.  By Constance, by Silas, by all of those mages.

Folding the parchment in two, Erwin pressed it towards Olive.  "Here, you take it.  For safekeeping," he said, before placing a hand on her shoulder and producing a small smile.  "Rest well.  I'll see you in the morning."

pomelo

Olive looked down at the folded sketch that Erwin pressed towards her for a long moment. For a long moment she considered it. A reminder, he called it. Constance did not want a reminder. She did not need a reminder. The faces of the others visited her most nights and in much of her waking days. Gently, she moved Erwin's hand back, until it and the drawing were pressed against his chest.

"If it's a reminder, I think it is best for you to keep it." There was no barb in her voice, no judgement. It was matter of fact, and afterwards she gave Erwin a small brief smile. She paused then, looking at Erwin without yet moving away. She looked as though she were regarding him, or trying to decide something. Though she felt better, calmer, now after speaking with him, the reality of her situation and of her future settled on her with a gentle resignation. So. So she lifted herself up onto her toes to kiss Erwin on the cheek. "Good night, Erwin."

With that she released the hand pressed to his chest and silently left Erwin alone in his chambers.

Erwin Therrien and Constance Carwick were not the only ones burning the midnight oil in Wulfbauer. Far away in the deeply wooded land Lord Roland Kenins called his own, the candle that was melting wax onto a carefully folded letter was already only a stump. Kenins pressed his seal into the wax. When a servant appeared in the darkened doorway of his study, he didn't even look up as he said, "See that this is sent with great haste to town council of Knightsbridge."

The servant nodded curtly and came forward to take the proffered letter. "My lord, Brendan Burrows is here to see you. Shall I see him in?"

Kenins looked momentarily annoyed, but quickly composed himself. "Yes, of course." A few moments later, a well-dressed young man, perhaps in his late twenties, with a mop of red hair entered Kenins' study. The young man made a quick, curt bow and waited until Kenins' waved for him to sit before took the chair across from Chancellor of Wulfbauer. "Brendan. To what do I owe the pleasure at this late hour?"

Brenden Burrows flashed a confident yet disarming smile. "I have a proposition for you, my lord."

Cambie

Erwin watched Olive's form vanish out the door and into the dark hallway.  Warmth lingered on the spot on his cheek that her lips had touched, and after a few seconds he tilted his head down to look at the folded parchment clutched against his chest.  Slowly, he unfolded the sketch and gently smoothed it out on the surface of his desk.  A small charcoal smudge drifted off the edge of the old woman's face, and he spent a moment smoothing out the line with his thumb. 

Fear and hope.  A promise of things to come, for him and Constance both.

With a soft exhale, he went to throw another log into the fire before striding back over to the bed.  Whatever problems they had to fix with the Duchy, it could wait until the morning.

---

"Ah, a midnight proposition," Kenins answered, feigning his own casual smile and sitting up in his chair.  "I would have imagined that, after such a long journey, you'd have preferred a good night's rest before discussing business in the morning.  But that's besides the point.  I'll always have time for my good friend Thurgood's favorite nephew."

The mention of the elder Burrows caught the younger by surprise and, despite his best efforts, his smile faltered for the briefest of moments.  Brendan quickly wiped that uncertainty from his expression and leaned forward, meeting the Chancellor's gaze with an expression that, on its surface, displayed the confidence of a man who'd practiced the words in his head a hundred times during the ride here.  But the glimmer of intimidation was there in his eyes.

"Chancellor Kenins, my proposition does indeed involve my uncle," Brendan began, keeping his eye contact with his counterpart.  "He loves Wulfbauer, with every fabric of his being, I want to be clear about that.  He's been Master of Coin for thirty-four years.  Our house has served the interests of the duchy for much longer.  But I'm afraid that he has lost sight of what makes this duchy great, and what must be done to ensure its continued prosperity."

Kenins, for his part, said nothing but only listened attentively.  Even as Brendan spoke his first words, Roland could have already anticipated where this conversation was headed.  The younger Burrows had always been an idealist, more so than his pragmatic relative – even when both shared a common knack for numbers and finances.  Perhaps it was a product of age and experience that informed Thurgood's demeanor, but Brendan Burrows certainly acted with his gut more than a cunning man like Thurgood ever could do.  The young man's traits, ironically, almost mirrored their current Duke.

The Dukeship that should have been his. 

"I agreed with your words during that last council meeting," continued Brendan.  "Erwin Therrien is out of his element, and he has lost the confidence of the nobles.  I believe that this duchy cannot recover and grow until someone more capable and with more experience can take over and lead us in the right direction." He paused to clear his throat.  "And the new Duke will need a new council to help him realize his vision.  A new Master of Coin."

pomelo

Brendan's heart raced as he watched the cool expression of the man across from him. Kenins was taking his time to respond, turning over his quill in his hand thoughtfully. After what felt like an excruciating wait, Kenins looked across at Brendan. "Perhaps. But you hardly needed to come here in the middle of the night to put yourself forward for the position, as I believe you are." Kenins raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"No, you're right. And frankly, my lord," Brendan continued, just slightly too quickly, betraying the nerves underlying what he was actually here to propose, "I don't think I need you in control of Wulfbauer Keep to become Master of Coin." He could tell that caught Kenins attention, and went on with more confidence. "From my uncle's letters, I can tell that Erwin Therrien relies heavily on his Master of Coin, and trusts him greatly. If anything were to happen to him, I have no doubt that he would appoint his chosen heir without hesitation. You know, my uncle could have chosen my cousin Frederik as his heir, as well. But he trusts me. And so would Erwin Therrien. The Master of Coin knows intimately every decision a duke makes. Is responsible for allocating and distributing funds. Or withholding him. He would be a powerful ally to have in the heart of the government. So you see, Lord Kenins, I have not come to beg anything of you. But to make you an offer."

Kenins put down his quill and inwardly Brendan smirked. Now he had his attention in earnest. "There is just one little hitch, Brendan. The good Lord Burrows is not – in his current state of, well being alive – in a position to pass anything on to you."

"My lord, my uncle is an old man," Brendan entreated, his voice dripping with sympathy, "if the excitement of a wedding or a war were too much of a strain on his aged heart, I do not think anyone would be surprised. We are on the brink of both. I ride to Wulfbauer Keep the day after tomorrow to help my uncle with the former. And I have heard through the hops hedge* that you have plans for the second."

OOC: * I couldn't help it! Wulfbauer makes beer, not wine!

Cambie

"Lord Thurgood may be in his twilight years, but he looked hale the last time we were in each other's presence," the Chancellor replied with a soft smile, leaning forward and clasping his hands on the desk's surface.  "It would be a shame if his health has taken a turn for the worst."

He shrugged his shoulders lackadaisically. "But he has been under tremendous stress lately, I surmise.  That castle has become almost a mummer's comedy, and it must take all of Thurgood's energy to keep some semblance of order there." 

He pushed his chair back and stood now, taking several steps away from the seated youth, hands clasped behind his back.  "No matter, I wish him all the health in the world.  Regrettably, I will not be able to attend the wedding as I have other matters of state to attend to.  I trust that with your light touch, the wedding will be a grand affair." He gave Brendan a subtle, almost knowing look.  "And if anything unfortunate were ever to happen to my good friend, I would appreciate if you alerted me with great haste."

Brendan responded with his own smile and nod.  "Of course, my Lord."

Kenins turned now to regard nothing in particular.  He'd explicitly made clear that the current Duke had lost his faith and the faith of many in the council of nobles.  And he'd gathered all those dissatisfied noblemen under his banner.  But war was such a strong term.  "I just want to remind you, Brendan, that I am no warmonger.  No, that sort of activity is more of Duke Therrien's strong suit.  I am just a patriot and a loyal servant of the Duchy, and all I do is in service to Wulfbauer." 

pomelo

It was like an out-of-body experience. Constance Carwick was dimly aware of the fuss being made over her – and what a fuss it was! – but felt oddly removed from it; more of an observer than a subject. Was this really happening to her? Not that she was able to form a question like that into an actual, concrete thought with the cacophony of chatter in the room. When had Olive last been surrounded by so many women? So many noblewomen at that. A perpetual tomboy who, as a child, had chaffed easily under the attention of only her mother and Grace whenever she needed to be made presentable, Olive thought the answer was perhaps never.

Grace was here now, of course, doing something both time-consuming and uncomfortable with her hair. Two additional maids were there at Grace's disposal to hold this or tie that or pin here. Then there were Adette and Marietta, Erwin's two younger sisters, both teenagers still and filled with such unwavering and inexhaustible enthusiasm for the day that it nearly bowled Olive over. The pair flitted between Olive, the maids, and the other guests, cheerfully speaking with everyone and anyone who would listen. Lady Rosengard, an old friend of Lord Burrows, who the Master of Coin had recruited to spearhead the wedding planning was in the room with her two daughters, only a bit older than Erwin's sisters and, like their mother, brimming with opinions. Lord Burrows' three daughters, for that matter, were here as well. Olive had to search between all the shifting women in the mirror to find the figures of the only two members of her family – the only two left – sitting quietly apart from the rest. Olive didn't know Ainsley and Bryony as well as she'd known their brothers; they had come much less often to the Keep. There was less reason for them to. But she thought they felt the same ghosts here that she did. Ainsley, the elder of the two and only a year older than Olive, had been hastily married to a middle son of the family who inherited Birchollow, looked solemn but not out of place in the room. Bryony, on the other hand, both stood out and simultaneously nearly disappeared in her modest gray nun's habit. Olive tried to catch her eye in the mirror, but her cousin hastily looked away, casting her eyes down.

Almost as surreal as the scene around her was the cause of it. This was the day Constance Carwick would disappear, and she would become Constance Therrien. Duchess of Wulfbauer. Inwardly, Olive hated that; she liked the sharp alliteration of her name. Constance Carwick. It felt right. 'Constance Therrien' felt awkward and muddled on her tongue. She could barely even get it out. It was an annoyance that she focused on, perhaps, to distract herself from the real business of the day. Becoming a duchess. Becoming a wife. The thought nearly took her breath away. Not in a rush of romantic excitement, but like a cold, clawed hand reaching into her chest and crushing her lungs. It wasn't because of Erwin. Erwin was, she knew, a better option than many that might have been given to her. And since their reconciliation after the night she'd moved the earth to save the trapped refugee mages, Olive had made a concerted effort to spend more time with him, at least for a mug of tea, even when they didn't have anything to speak about. And though the idea of having a more intimate relationship with him than that still made her feel a little uneasy, she accepted that he was the partner life was giving her, and she would give it her best. It wasn't him, personally, but what the whole affair represented. For years her life had felt full of possibilities determined by her own agency. Today, she felt, that all ended. Constance Therrien would be bound to duty, whose agency would be determined by the needs of the duchy and her husband.

"There. You look beautiful, Olive." Grace's voice, spoken quietly and only for her, crystalised amidst the din of the room. Their eyes met in the mirror, and Olive could see that Grace's were shining with tears. Olive reached out and squeezed Grace's hand, yearning for her mothers. "Come on. It's time to go."

The scene was more subdued in the Duke's quarters, where Lord Burrows was finishing going over some final details with the Duke – who he was quite sure was not paying attention – while a manservant attempted to ready Erwin for the event. That was, until the raucous sound of laughter echoed down the hall and finally erupted into the room in the form of Kristian and Marcel Therrien. The slightly quieter but genial form of Brendan Burrows, whom Lord Burrows had introduced to the Duke some weeks earlier, and who was staying in the Keep to aid the old Master of Coin with all the necessary arrangements. They passed a bottle, half empty, that sloshed with a fine, peaty-smelling amber whisky between them.

"Watch yourself, Kristian," Marcel warned, pulling a serious face, "you don't want Captian Serious catching you with that!"

Kristian laughed and picked up the nearest discarded glass he could find. "Normally you'd be right enough, but today of all days," Kristian answered in a feigned grave seriousness, pouring a generous amount of the liquid into the found glass, "I imagine our dear teetotal brother could do with a bit of Serenian courage." Placing himself entirely in the way of the poor manservant, whose job was not done, Kristian clapped Erwin firmly on the shoulder and thrust the glass upon him. "Don't worry, we, your brave and caring and ever supportive brothers, selflessly tested it to make sure there was nothing nefarious, no hidden poison, to spoil your big day."

"Aye, though, mind you," Marcel agreed, drinking from his own cup, "I had a look at the old chapel earlier. That gargoyle's still missing an eye. With a wife who's a better shot than half your brigade, poisoned whisky might be the least of your worries."

Cambie

Erwin could hardly recognize the man staring back at him from within the mirror, a dashing, almost regal figure being attended to by a manservant diligently ensuring that every fold of his sleeves was in place.  The reflection was him, but it didn't feel like him.  Some doppelganger straight out of a children's book, here to take his place and accept the encumbrance of ruling this war-torn duchy.  A shade who would, in his place, intone the vows that would by Ansgar's guiding hand bind him to a life of faithful duty to his new bride. 

A slight frown crossed his features as he idly examined the face staring back at him.  They'd insisted and of course he'd acquiesced, but Erwin could not remember the last time a razorblade had glided so closely to his cleeks to produce such a close shave, leaving not even a shadow of stubble on his cheek.  His face looked smooth, refreshed... and unnatural.  Or at least it did to him.  Both his sisters had squealed in delight when they first laid eyes upon their eldest brother in all his trappings and finery.  Marietta had lifted herself up to wrap him in a long hug, proclaiming how royal he looked.  Adette, giddy with unrestrained excitement, had declared her conclusion that he and Constance made such a perfect couple, and that they would be so happy together.

He felt the knot in the pit of his stomach tighten.  For weeks, they'd been building up to this moment.  Ever since that night in the clearing, when she'd used her forbidden magic to save those refugee mages, Constance had visited him more often than at any other time since they'd first brought her to the castle from Valence.  They'd gotten to know each other more than he could have ever hoped, perhaps in an effort to blunt the inevitability of this moment.  Yet somehow all of it still didn't feel right.  He cared for Constance, he was certain of it.  But to marry her?

"Did you hear that last part, my Lord?" the voice of old Lord Burrows reverberated in his ear and pulled him back to the present.  Erwin turned to regard the Master of Coin and, spying the annoyed expression on his wrinkled features, hastily replied, "Yes, of course." His eyes drifted away unconsciously, and he missed the glance that Lord Burrows shot over to his young nephew as he shook his head in mild exasperation. 

Before the Master of Coin could muster another word though, the sound of laughter flooded into the room along with the two Therriens and their free-flowing bottle.  Their familiar voices had Erwin spinning to regard them, so fast that it caused the manservant to drop a pin and sign in exasperation.  His dear brothers, so impossibly lighthearted and carefree – even though one of them was the current Lord of their shared ancestral home, and the other a soon to be anointed knight. 

The mention of his dreaded military nickname elicited narrowed eyes from Erwin, but it was also accompanied by the first real smile he'd shown all morning.  "Judging from what's left in that bottle," he shot back at Marcel, "He won't need Captain Serious to catch him, his breath will attract all the attention he needs.  It'll be a grand sight: the esteemed Lord of Arbutus Vale falling over on his own brother's wedding day."  Yet, he still warmly embraced Kristian as the younger Therrien approached him.  Kristian was perhaps an inch shorter than Erwin, but looked remarkably similar to the Duke aside from the well-trimmed beard on his face, dotted with the same salt-and-pepper as his own hair.  This close to his sibling though, Erwin realized perhaps for the first time just how few lines blemished his brother's face.  They were five years removed from one another, but it might as well have been a decade.  For a moment, Erwin wondered how long it would be before the stresses of his brother's newfound position would replace that easygoing personality.

"Luckily for me," Kristian replied with an impossibly warm laugh, as though having read Erwin's mind, "Duke Therrien of Wulfbauer is a kind and just ruler, and he would never have me thrown into the cells for ruining his big moment."  The comment elicited a similar laugh from Marcel, and Erwin turned to regard him.  Somehow, Marcel had avoided whatever blood ran in their veins that caused the premature greying of hair.  Indeed, his hair, flowing down to his shoulders in neat waves, shone a light brown through and through. 

Looking down at the glass pressed into his hand, Erwin wrinkled his nose.  The prospect of actually going through with this wedding severely tempted him to have his first drink in ten years.  "You know I can't," he offered lamely, which elicited jeers from his brothers.

"Oh come on, my Lord Duke," Kristian said, lifting an arm so that the manservant could sneak between the two and continue his work.  "I have a wife and children, and all the trappings that come with ruling a House.  And here I am, as happy as can be.  You know why?  Because I drink.  Why do you think you've been so dour these last few years? Trust me, it'll help at the altar."

Erwin's brow narrowed, and he started to retort about the stresses of leading a duchy through a civil war, but Kristian cut him off with an absent wave of the hand.  "And if my wife-to-be was a better shot than a Therrien, then I'd most certainly drown myself in my cups," he said with a wicked grin.  He leaned forward and continued in a softer voice.  "Marcel told me the whole tale.  Is it true?  Did Lady Carwick actually shoot the eye out of that gargoyle, with a stolen gun?"

Erwin glanced back over to Marcel, who simply shrugged and took another swig of his whiskey.  "That was a long time ago," the Duke finally acknowledged.  He'd almost forgotten about the gargoyle.  So much had time had passed since then.  So much innocence lost.  She was no longer the rambunctious daughter of a Duke, and he was no longer a squire watching over the two youths with exasperation.

pomelo

Kristian shrugged, as if to say 'suit yourself', and took the bottle from Marcel's grasp and tucked it neatly in the place a book had been removed from the shelf on the wall. "Well, I'll leave this here; you may need it later. I know if I had to share my bed with a mage who was handy with a firearm, I'd want something to help me sleep," he snorted, some of the joviality leaving his tone.

Marcel frowned at his brother, as much for taking away the whisky as for what he said next. Of the Therriens, Marcel was the only one who'd really been friendly with Constance, even if he'd largely been tasked to be by their father. Sure, she was a mage, but she was a noble, so it wasn't really the same. "Careful what you say, that 'mage' is a lady, and she'll be your sister-in-law quite soon."

Lord Burrows opened his mouth to interject at this point, but Brendan Burrows got there before him, speaking for the first time. "She'll be your duchess," he corrected. And the elder Burrows nodded his head in agreement.

For a moment, an uncomfortable tension settled in the air. Marcel broke it, grinning at Erwin. "Well then, Captain Serious, I hope your nerves are steady without any liquid courage, then. Because we're not here to force a drink down your gullet. We're here," his grin widened considerably, thoroughly enjoying his grave elder brother's discomfort, "to escort you to your wedding. Time to go."

Cambie

Marcel might have looked uncomfortably to his Kristian then, but the piercing stare that Erwin shot him at his unscrupulous comment could have punctured the walls of the castle.  This man was supposed to be his beloved brother.  Yet, the comment immediately triggered a feeling of defensiveness in him, and he felt the heartbeat in his chest quicken slightly with pangs of anger.  Unconsciously, the fingers of his left hand balled up into a fist.

He didn't presume to know the true plight of the mages, and he certainly was still working to process everything he'd learned from Olive about her experiences.  But he'd learned enough over the last weeks and months to take offense to Kristian's naïve words – words that he might have uttered himself, once upon a time, before Constance Carwick has arrived at the keep. 

But she was his friend.  No, his soon-to-be wife.  And his smooth-brained brother didn't know what he was talking about.

Luckily the moment passed quickly enough, without Kristian having noticed the iciness that has glazed over Erwin's eyes.  And, thankfully, the youngest Therrien saved the day with a voice that oozed with cheeriness – exactly what this day was supposed to entail.  The hints of disdain faded away from Kristian's face, and he replaced them with the same wide smile that he'd had earlier.  "Yes, our dearest brother finally comes to his senses today," he said, giving Erwin a hard clap on the back.  "If at any point you decide that it is all too much, I will come fetch this bottle with great haste."

The small party left the Duke's quarters then, weaving their way through the corridors toward the Great Hall, where the formal ceremony was set to take place.  Even though it was midday and the sun shone clearly through every window, the sconces along the walls of the castle were still lit and blazing, as if illuminating the path of righteousness for Erwin.  He spent the entire walk in silent contemplation though, trying to mentally prepare himself to the inevitability that lay ahead.  He'd made this commitment, spent countless evenings convincing himself that this was the most appropriate course of action, both for his sake and for the sake of the Duchy.  His thoughts drifted to Olive, who always seemed more unsure of this decision than even Erwin himself, but who'd agreed to it anyway with quiet resignation.  The spectre of doubt materialized again, haunting every bootstep against the cold stone underneath. 

Perhaps he should have had that drink after all.  But it was too late for that, and too late to walk back on his decision to get married.  Swallowing down the dryness in his mouth, he took a deep breath and steeled himself for what lay ahead.  He was ready.  He was ready.

The Great Hall's heavy wooden were guarded by a small contingent of vigilant sentries, although they remained open.  Beyond, Erwin could just make out a few of the pillars lining either side of the hall, immaculately wrapped with boughs of evergreen.  He could also hear the murmuring of conversation within, as the esteemed wedding guests awaited the arrival of the groom and bride.  How many had actually responded to the invitations that were sent out?  How many nobles had made appearances?  Lord Burrows must have said something about it, but he probably wasn't paying attention.

From behind him, Erwin heard the sound of Marcel adjusting the sword at his side, and felt his younger brother lean forward to whisper in his ear.  He couldn't see Marcel, but he could imagine the roguish grin on his younger brother's face, as their eyes locked onto the same thing.  "Here they come," Marcel said, right as the bridal party emerged from around the corner at the far end of the hall.

pomelo

Constance felt like a marionette as she was shepherded through the Keep to the Great Hall. Not least of all because it was so awkward to move in the long, formal dress. In the name of saving expenses and her own profound lack of interest in dresses, Olive had insisted on simply altering her mother's wedding dress. It was a choice she thought prudent, but one which she quickly regretted when she remembered how much more of a taste for these things her mother had. The entire thing was embroidered with gold thread and freshwater pearls from her mother's native Castavar and fit with whalebone. The result was a dress that was painfully constrictive and weighed a ton. It was fine for Lady Rosengard and Grace to insist that it was beautiful, stately, and whatever else, she thought darkly to herself, they didn't have to schlepp the awful thing around, struggle to breathe despite the whalebone, or worry about tripping over its overly long tresses.

She managed to distract herself with these thoughts as they made their way to the Great Hall, filtering out the chatter of her escort; at least some of which was probably directed at her. Arriving in the portal to the Great Hall, however, dragged her rudely back to reality. She felt her body freeze and for a moment was unsure if she'd be able to actually, physically go further. She felt Lady Rosengard squeeze her shoulder. "Don't worry, Constance. It's perfectly normal to have nerves at this point." Then with a smile Olive thought was a little too maternal, Lady Rosengard lowered the lace veil over Olive's face and, when a gentle one didn't do the trick, gave her a rather forceful nudge to move forward when the music began.

Constance felt carried by some supernatural force from the portal to the altar where the priest waited in the center of the hall, excruciatingly aware of all the eyes on her and only dimly aware of the fact that, from the other end of the Hall, Erwin was making the same journey. When she found herself face to face with him, she managed to muster a small, fleeting smile. It wasn't the smile of a demure bride, but closer to that one soldier might give to another, a quick gesture of reassurance, before they rode into a hopeless battle. As the priest spoke through the rote liturgy of the ceremony, Olive's gaze remained steadily on Erwin, albeit obscured by the lace veil. She wasn't looking at him, however, so much as searching for something in him. Some sign of what her future would be. Because again she felt like she could hardly breathe, and not only because of the clench of the whalebone and certainly not out of the excitement of a blushing bride. But with each word the priest spoke, she felt her agency slipping out of her grasp. And maybe she was looking for a sign in Erwin, that it didn't have to. She also couldn't help but wonder, watching him, if his features would ever feel familiar to her. Something she could call her own. Her partner. Her husband.