Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Funeral Pyre for the Seventh Widow [M]

Started by TreeFolk, March 23, 2016, 01:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

"Though I have not heard of you, I am honored to be in your presence. You... I never expected to meet a god, nor did I expect such kindness from one." She stared down into her lap. "I have always had respect and fear for the gods of my family and my husband."

Prynne swallowed and exhaled softly as his fingers cupped her chin, her olive eyes looking into his ruby ones in awe at his benevolence. "I..." She stumbled over her words, eyes glancing over his face before she averted them once more, "I have only ever been raised to serve the needs of my husband. I was chosen as a young girl, and I have known nothing more."

But she had dreamed quite a bit more, as immersed as she had been in her stories, animals, and books when nobody was watching. Though it felt prideful to think it, Prynne felt as if she was living her own adventure now. She had summoned the courage and will to escape and to save herself. She was speaking to a god, had encountered another powerful entity and survived. Though her trained modesty would not allow her to fully embrace those emotions, deep down she felt empowered. She felt strong and brave, and worthy of life. But years of suppressing those types of emotions made her ashamed of them. Prynne felt painfully conflicted on the matter.

When he explained his plan, she bowed her head. "I will defer to your judgment, then. I would like to travel by your side for the time... At least until I can survive on my own." He did not own her, she was not his. Prynne could not quite wrap her mind around the concept of her freedom, of not being beholden to anybody. She was just now testing the waters of her freedom. She knew she was fortunate to have met Ruvyk. Other men would have taken her offer and soon made her their own. But now she had the safety of his companionship to begin testing the limits of her freedom.

Prynne untucked her legs from beneath herself to stretch them out before him, cringing as the burnt skin stretched taut. She looked down at the damaged skin of her feet and calves, marring her otherwise flawless skin. Even if she had been still a virgin, no husband would want such a damaged wife. She obediently waited for him to tend to her wounds as he saw fit, just as she had done with her husband's healers for every small scratch and bruise and illness. He had often punished her for damaging herself, for marring her beauty that he felt he owned. She wondered how his reaction would have been to her burns...

Mephistel

This was close to been a slave as far as Ruvyk thought. Raised to be a beautiful ornament, a singing bird in a golden cage wit her wings cut off. But she had been bold enough to escape her fate and somewhat, it made him smile.

As she unfold her legs, he closed the gap between them and lean over her burnt feet. Despite been the rude person he was, his hands delicately held one of the young woman's foot in his hand and cover the rest with the other, soon, a soothing sensation came over her foot as water poured out of Ruvyk's hand, but not splashing or falling on the ground. It was revolving around her skin, caressing it with healing powers. The water started to glow slightly with a green light as the wounds were closing themselves, leaving place to a refreshing and rosy skin. Leaving no traces of the previous wounds.

He then proceeded to do the same with her other feet, he looked calm as his hands were healing her with such ease and softness. Ruvyk had not always been dejected by others or been bad, but sometimes, things don't always go the way we want. He had experienced that first hand. Memories came flying back at him but he ignored them.

Once he was done, he lift his gaze upon her and got back up, offering his hand to help her up.

-Do you think you can walk to the town with barefoot?-

He asked. He, himself, was barefoot, but it didn't matter to him, the harshness of the sands didn't affect him, but it might be different for the girl.

TreeFolk

Prynne watched in wide-eyed amazement at the power of his healing waters, entranced by the gentle and easy way in which the severe burns on her feet and legs disappeared to leave fresh, unmarred skin. Skin that was almost softer than it had been before. Tentatively she reached out her long fingers to run along the skin of her calves and feet, still in disbelief that any entity could so fully heal such damage.

When he was fully done and offering her his hand, Prynne daintily placed her hand in his and allowed him to help her up. As she stood, she tested her legs... The pain was completely gone as well. In the moment, she forgot herself and smiled brightly at him, "You are truly amazing, Lord Ruvyk!"

Prynne twirled on her feet, a giggle bubbling from her throat. "I could run to town barefoot!" A blush spread across her features as she took control over herself again, covering her smile with her hands.

But it was true- she had certainly run barefoot across the desert to reach this cave the night before. Though her feet were soft and would likely blister and bruise on their journey, she found she did not mind the thought of it at all. Even if he didn't heal her afterwards she would not regret her decision... Because it was her body now! She could scar it, do with it as she wished!

Again she felt a rush of exhilarating fear thrum up through her chest at the prospect of such freedom. In her eager happiness, she took hold of Ruvyk's hands, bowing over them and pressing her lips against the back of one, smiling up at him. "My Lord Ruvyk, I have been blessed to have met you."

Mephistel

Ruvyk wasn't use to been thanked so much, it felt strange but somewhat refreshing. As he looked at her face filled with excitement and so much awe, he couldn't help but grin a bit. He crossed his arms on his chest. This was the least he could do, and it wasn't much. He had been blessed in the healing, as he had mention, it was the source of life and his magic was that powerful.

-It was...nothing really...-

He said. Such a thing would be expected from a God after all right? He watched as she was jumping and twirling around, apparently lost in that momentum of freedom she was now facing. The god stayed patiently where he was, waiting for her to finish.

-Well...I don't think there is any need to run...-

He said, before he could finish his sentence, she had grabbed hold of his hands, kissing them. He couldn't help but feel somewhat proud and amused at the same time.

-Now now...if you are so full of energy, let us be on our way...I'll cast that illusion on you so they won't recognize you...-

He said. As he did so, he snapped his fingers and sparkles surrounded Prynne for a moment, changing her appearance. Tough it wasn't as if all her features had completely change, more like, the color of her hair and eyes changed, her skin tone was a bit paler and the clothes she was wearing also changed color.

-This should do...Now remember, you just need to pretend to be my wife when were in town, when we'll leave, that's up to you...-

He walk to the cave entrance and offered her his arm so they could go.

TreeFolk

Prynne looked down at her now paler arms and at her hair, which was brown instead of black. She found it a bit disconcerting, but was impressed none the less. She wondered if her face or her eyes looked different, something she couldn't know unless she found a mirror or a pool of water to look into.

Reeling herself back under obedient control, Prynne stepped forward and took his arm as they stepped out of the cave and into the desert. The chill of the night air caused goosebumps to raise along her arms, and she tried to suppress a shiver as they took off across the sands. At first the cool grains of sand felt good between her toes and across the bottoms of her feet, but the farther they went the rawer her feet became.

Still, she did not complain, following beside him as best she could- though she began to slow the more her feet hurt. To distract herself, Prynne took in the surroundings of the desert. The vast expanse of sand and sky, the stars and the moon glimmering above like a thousand jewels. In the distance, the lights of the city twinkled, but Prynne did not feel compelled to return. She felt nervous and worried about entering the city again so soon after her escape.

As they approached the gates, she noticed two of her husband's guards posted close to the city guards. And scrolls with a likeness of her posted on the wall, requesting her return with a promise of a reward. Even though she knew Ruvyk had disguised her appearance, Prynne could not help but feel that somebody would recognize her. Pulling the thin, gauzy material of her ceremonial shawl- now a dark green instead of purple- up over her head, she pressed herself closer to Ruvyk and averted her eyes. "Play the part of the wife, Prynne. These men cannot recognize you... You know how to be a dutiful wife..." She chided herself, suddenly aware of all of the jewelry still adorning her.

Would they think it suspicious that she was wearing so much fine jewelry? Although Ruvyk had said he was a merchant, she was unsure how prominent of a merchant he was. Would her jewelry make her look as if she was significantly above his status? He was also wearing quite a good deal of jewelry, but it still made her anxious and paranoid. Reminding herself to play the part of his wife, she consciously forced herself to separate herself from him enough so she was no longer clinging to him. Training her eyes on the ground in wifely modesty and obedience, Prynne kept her arm loosely draped around his, fingers splayed prettily across his forearm. The only other thing she could do was to keep one foot going in front of the other.

Mephistel

Ruvyk had a quick walk, he didn't mind the harshness of the sand of how hot it was. He was used to it and it didn't really affected him anyway. So there he was, walking the desert with this lovely companion. They made their way to the main gates of the city. Huge but also small in the immensity of this ocean of sands. The sun had turn quite harsh but not enough to stop them.

He quickly noticed the posters of Prynne on the walls, they more or less looked like her, but of course, it wasn't always easy to portrait someone who was gone. These had probably been made with some descriptions and all. As they were about to past the gates, the two guards approach them, stopping them from their course.

Ruvyk tilt his head in their general direction, while taking on a dignified air.

-Excuse me sir...we are looking for a young woman, she went into the desert...you wouldn't happen to have seen her, she looks like this...-

He pointed the portait on the poster. Ruvyk shook his head.

-I'm effraid I haven't seen anyone on our way here...-

He said. The guards look at their feet, they were both barefoot. Ruvyk raised an eyebrow.

-Why are you barefoot?-

The guard asked.

-How is that any of your concerns?-

Ruvyk answered dryly. He glared at the guards, looking a bit annoyed, he knew that Prynne was probably doing her best to keep herself from shaking or running away.

-If you'll excuse us...we had a long journey and we'd very much like to return home...-

He push the guard off and made his way into the city, where they could finally breath a bit. From there, he quickly made his way around town with Prynne, heading for his house as they entered a few backstreets until they reach the place. It was further away from the main streets so it was calm but not too much as to attract bandits or thugs. From outside, the house didn't look like much and seemed very simple, but when they entered, it was a whole different world. He led her in, then close the door behind him and sighed.

-Welcome to my house...and yours for now...-

He said, stretching a bit. Inside, she could see an unbelievable number of items of all kind and origins, everywhere, on counter, behind glass, on the walls, jewelry, weapons, cup, hat, clothes, name it. It looked like the cave of wonders. The house was made of two floors. A small staircase leaded to the second one.

TreeFolk

Prynne about died when the guards began to question them, doing all in her power not to give away any indication that she was nervous. For years she had trained herself to swallow her emotions, to act the perfect, obedient wife no matter what the situation was. Be it the bedroom, with her sister wives, or among guests, Prynne had swallowed any emotion and only ever shown patience, grace, obedience, kindness, and contentment.

She could recall her first lesson in masking her emotions as a child, when she had been unhappy with a playmate taking her toy from her. Her playmate happened to be the song of a very prominent merchant, and she recalled her nursemaid pulling her aside, telling her that she must defer to those of higher status than she. Telling her that good girls were obedient and pliable, and that good girls became good wives or good priestesses, which were her only two options in life. At first she had been willful and resented this advice, but eventually she came to accept her role in life and in society because she wished only to make her family proud.

The only emotion she could not deny fully was her inherent curiosity, but she had learned to hide it from others by stashing books and objects in places others would not look. Her stolen moments of discovery occurred through the pages of books behind the high walls of first her father's household, and then her husband's. It had been the only way she had survived.

And so it was easier for her to hide her fear from the guard, keeping her eyes trained to the ground in a show of modesty as he questioned Ruvyk. She did not speak or reply to the guards' inquiry, nor was it expected of her. If they were to believe Ruvyk her husband, then she should defer all matters to him unless directly addressed. "Do not speak unless spoken to." She mentally chimed the rule to herself, though she wished she could say something more to make the guards suspend their suspicions. Listening to Ruvyk's confidence calmed her fears, and the way he easily handled the situation made her feel once again that she had been very fortunate to have met him.

As he led her through the city, Prynne did her best to take in as much of it as she could without seeming suspiciously interested. Posters were hung up all over the city demanding her capture, but her curiosity was more about seeing the city for the first time in her life. All her life she had lived here, yet she had never been allowed to wander its streets. As a child she had been sheltered in her father's compound, and as a young woman she had been confined to her husband's. Even her delivery from her father's household to her husband's had not allowed her the opportunity to see the streets, for she had been carried on a heavily curtained litter through the city to protect her modesty.

Up until this point, the most she had seen of the city had been what little she could see from the trees in their courtyards. Even then, it was very rare that she could find times when those gardens were empty of people, and of course she could not be seen climbing trees! So now, she looked around in awe at the city, relying on Ruvyk's arm to guide her while she was distracted.

Prynne felt disappointed as he finally led her inside his home, wanting to explore more of the city. Her disappointment was short lived as she looked around his house in awe at the various objects, forgetting how raw her feet felt or how sore her legs were from their journey. It was like a dragon's hoard from the old tales! Her fingers itched to pick up and examine the various objects, though she kept her hands clasped in front of her in self-restraint.

She wondered what his business was here in the city, and why a god would become a merchant... Questions burned inside of her, about him, about his home, about the various object around them. Questions she did not dare to ask. Still, it did not keep her from looking at things.

Mephistel

Now safely hidden by the walls of the house, Ruvyk let out a sigh and ended the illusion cast on Prynne, with a simply snap of his fingers. Her natural color returned to her.

-There...you won't need an illusion inside the house...but if you feel like going out...tell me, I'll cast it back..-

He said. The house was filled with wonders and magic, items from all around the world and of unknown origins could be seen in every corners. It was both impressive and somewhat disturbing. Looking around for a moment, the god eventually turned back toward the young woman.

-Now then...there is one rule you have to follow while in this house...do NOT touch the merchandise, all these items and object you see around are eventually gonna be up for sale, so I'd rather not have them broken...mind you...-

He said, tilting his head on the side slightly while looking at her. He put his hands on his hips, looking over to one of the door, then upstairs.

-The kitchen is there...behind that door to the right...if you feel hungry, you can ask the servant, she'll make you something...you can use one of the room upstairs...I'll show you to it...-

He added as he started walking toward another corridor. Motioning for her to follow. They passed a few closed door and eventually reached the end of the corridor.

-If you feel like taking a bath or something...this is the bath room...-

He opened the door and show the inside to her. There stood a what look more like a pool then a bath, it was very large. The bath was already filled and many different bottle lay on the edge, with towels and other necessities.

-Well...the water is always hot so you can go whenever you want...-

He closed the door and motion for her to follow again as they went upstair this time. Still, there was more objects to be seen and they passed in front of two small room filled to the brim with books, then toward another room.

-This is my room...if you need something...and this...-

He closed the door of a room, insert a key in and turned it twice, before opening the door again. It led to a very nice looking bedroom, with larges windows opening toward a large garden. All the necessities were there for her to be happy. And the bed seemed to be able to hold more then 6 persons in it.

-This is yours...-

He said, letting her in to have a look.

TreeFolk

Good thing she had already been well-versed in restraining herself... The entire tour was interspersed with glimpses of tempting treasures, all of which she was dying to know more about. She could have sworn she saw the very same goblet of lore tipped over on top of a bookshelf! But her host continued on with the tour, giving her explanations of how the house operated and what was expected of her.

Although she was accustomed to being told what was considered acceptable behavior from her, she was not accustomed to being told she also had freedom to choose. Freedom to eat when she felt hungry, not when she was allowed or told. Freedom to take a bath in seclusion, without sister-wives, slaves, servants, or husband present. And most importantly, the freedom to potentially wander the city.

Prynne tried to keep herself from blurting out her excitement about the potential trip into the city, sucking on her bottom lip and leaving the question to sit for a few moments so it did not seem like she was too eager. She even held herself back until he brought her to the room and though it was nice and grand, perhaps nicer than her husband's quarters, it held no interest to her.

Clasping her hands obediently behind her back and lowering her gaze to the floor, Prynne allowed a small smile to grace her lips. "You are far too kind, Great One. This all is so magnificent, I am very blessed to even set eyes upon it all... Though I should like to learn more about your treasures, I am..." She worried at her lower lip with her teeth, fingers clenching more tightly together as she fought out the words. "I am very much interested in seeing the city beyond your fine home." She glanced up at him to make sure he was not angry with her. "It's just... I have never spent time outside the confines of my father or my husband's households."

Mephistel

Ruvyk looked at her for a moment, as she spoke. Of course, she would be confine in her past. To him, the city was simply buzzling with many things, thugs, people and other common things, unless you knew where to go.

-The city uh...well, I suppose there is not much point staying locked up in here anyway by such fine weather...-

He said, scratching the back of his head. Looking down at her feet, then thinking.

-Well, as much as you are excited to go...let's find you some shoes first...then eat...I don't know for you, but I am hungry...-

He said. With that, he started walking away, then stopped in front of a door and opened it, then closed it quickly with somewhat of a sweat drop on the side of his head.

-Wrong door...-

He said. He picked a key from his pocket and made it turn 3 times in the lock before opening it again. He nodded.

-There it is...-

He turned toward Prynne, motioning for her to come in as he stepped inside the room. It was filled from top to bottom with clothes, cloak, dress, shoes, hat, jewelry and trinkets of all kind and all color. There was even some clothes from foreign countries.

-Why don't you find yourself some new clothes as well, at least while we are in town...chose whatever you want...-

He said.

-Once that is done and we ate, we can go out in the city and you can wander all you want...-

He added as he left her in the room.

TreeFolk

Prynne stepped into the room hesitantly, certain that it had been a different room just moments before he had turned the key in it. But she did as she was instructed, entering the room to look for new clothes. She knew her own were ragged from her escape, and had been lucky when Ruvyk had disguised her as they made their way through town.

Though she yearned to wear her favorite color purple, she did not want to wear anything that might remind others of her. Even disguised as she would be, she didn't want to risk any extra attention for wearing her favorite color. Running her fingers along the fine cloth, she finally settled on a dark blue wrap skirt and a matching dark blue top with silver embroidered stars. She chose plain leather wrap sandals. Taking a small satchel she found, she placed the clothing inside along with a cloak in anticipation of colder evenings and a head scarf.

Leaving the room, she could hear somebody moving about in the kitchen preparing food. Slipping quietly down the hall, she found the bath... She could not put on fresh clothes when she was still covered in the dirt.

Gingerly she took off the ceremonial clothing from the funeral rights, before taking off her many pieces of jewelry. Quickly she slipped into the bath, exhaling at how good it felt against her skin. So much water! She had never before been allowed to submerge her body in so much water because of the lack of it in the desert. While she had washed herself, she rarely was given the luxury of even a small bath. The size of this one was incredible! Looking around as if expecting to be scolded for dirtying precious water, Prynne quickly unbraided her hair, her fingers tangling and catching on the knots it held from her wild run. Sucking in a breath of air, she ducked beneath the water and remained there for as long as she could hold her breath. She knew she was taking longer than was polite, but it felt so amazing!

After some time Prynne began to thoroughly wash the sand and dirt from her hair and body, using a floral scented oil to run through her hair to untangle it. When she had finally cleaned herself properly, Prynne emerged from the bath and toweled herself off. The top she had chosen exposed her soft, trim stomach and exposed her shoulders. She wrapped the skirt and tied the sandals before choosing a sparse few pieces of her own jewelry. She did not need to adorn herself in as much jewelry as before, and she didn't think it appropriate to take more than the clothes from Ruvyk.

She placed her old clothes and the rest of her jewelry in the satchel before making her way towards the kitchen, letting her long black hair hang loose as it dried. She felt guilty for spending so much time... Would he be angry with her? "Great One? Where have you gone? I apologize for taking so much time..."

Mephistel

As Prynne was enjoying her bath, Ruvyk had gone back to his room, he wanted to leave eventually, but of course, he had to make sure everything was in check, he couldn't just leave without putting things in order, and order wasn't something that seemed to be very present in this house with the so many treasures, items and others things laying around the place.

He walked trough the house after ordering his servant to make feast for the both of them, and started selecting items, which he put in the satchel at his belt, they disapeared in it even tough they clearly did not fit the pouch size. As if they were swallowed into it. Vials, lamps, clothes, tissues, carpets, various items, books and many others found themselves taken from their shelves and put into the pouch.

This little bag of holding was the reason Ruvyk could so easily travel around and sell his wares without ever having to carry things in a carriage or have to buy or rent horses to pull it. After making it's way around and finally settled down, he went back to his room and let himself fall in the pile of cushions he usually used as a bed and closed his eyes. This day had been quite something, not a total loss, but not exactly the winning strike he had hoped for, at any right, he wonder how the travel with the young women would go. He had no doubt her exotic beauty would attract some troubles, but it didn't matter, after all, she had the protection of a God.

When Prynne got out, looking for Ruvyk, she found the servant in the kitchen, making delicious food, a smell of roasted meat and vegetables soup filled the air as the old lady turned toward her.

-If you are looking for the master, he is in his room, the third room of the second floor, the dinner will be ready soon...-

She spoke softly, as if whispering but her voice could be heard clearly.

TreeFolk

Prynne looked around at all the beautiful food that was being prepared, and for the first time since her escape, she found herself feeling rather hungry. She bowed her head in thanks to the woman before heading in the direction she had been told, moving through the hallway and past all of the treasures while taking care not to disturb anything.

Making her way up the stairs and to the room, she softly knocked and called out softly. "Great One? I am sorry to have made you wait, and to disturb you now..." She didn't have much else to add. She still felt the weight of the debt she owed to him, but felt excited by the prospect of adventure and freedom being in his company promised her.