Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wanderers Above the Sea of Fog

Started by pomelo, March 24, 2016, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomelo

@Draconian

A heavy fog lay over the damp countryside that John Jameson trudged through. The hour was somewhere between the last throes of the night and the first light of the morning. The sun hung somewhere low below the horizon, giving just enough cold gray light that John could see the fog, but little else. John knew little of the country in these parts, but a farmer had told him that down this road he should find a little in. The man had warned him that it would be a journey of some hours on foot, but John had merely smiled and thanked the man for his directions.

Alone with the distant braying of farm dogs and the gloomy hooting of owls, John made his way through the night, through still countryside and murky forest. It was a long and cold night, but John had walked without tiring. But John Jameson didn't tire like most men. He enjoyed the solitude of the journey; alone with his thoughts; alone with the fragments of his memory. He had nowhere in particular to go. He was simply going this way. It was an aimlessness that was not an uncommon sight in the war-torn land of Connlaoth. Young men who had been soldiers, who had been taught to fight with a purpose, either left by the wayside when they were injured too seriously to fight, but not seriously enough to die. Or else who had lost that sense of purpose, and abandoned their posts. But there was no place in Connlaoth for men who could not fight, or could not work. At least, not for men who weren't born into the upper classes that could live comfortably doing nothing, or else be sent to the university to become a scholar. They had become soldiers, many of them, before marrying and had no families to return to. No children to rear. If they were brave enough to return to their homes injured, they would have to face their family in shame. No longer a soldier, no longer a man. And so a lost generation began to grow across the country, the injured and disillusioned, left with no real future and no respectable present.

And John Jameson? Was he injured, or disillusioned? He truthfully wasn't sure. Had he been injured in the war effort? Yes, grievously. His shoulder was still quick to ache, especially in weather like this, but it was the large, ugly scar stretched across his chest that worried John. When he compared himself to others in his position, John couldn't help but think that - physically - he had come off in decent shape. And the looks he sometimes got as a man of fighting age, who appeared physically fit, was wandering the countryside and not fulfilling his duty as a soldier. And now there was even a draft... But John Jameson's injuries ran much deeper. It was a cold feeling that reached from the strange scar down to his heart. It was the memory of the sound of the first stone that had struck Einid with a sick thud. It was the image of the bloody child he had held for only moments in his hand; the boy who had let out a single wail, and then die. And it was the change he had felt when Enid, the woman he had called his wife, had died.

Who had she been? And, the more unsettling question he'd been left with...

Who was he?

This was the question echoing in John's mind when he finally caught sight of a single lantern light ahead. He breathed a sigh of relief. Even John Jameson was weary after the long night's walk, and cold from the smothering fog. He followed the light, until it led to a small, solitary tavern. Clearly a waypoint for travellers, though there must be a town not too far away. The tavern was quiet at this hour, but outside the door a solitary lantern hung, its candle melted nearly to its base. John pushed open the squat, damp wooden door, and stepped inside.

Draconian

The noise from the door should have been alarming. The familiar sound didn't rouse the sleeping woman, in fact it wasn't until a gust of chilly wind blew in that Sera even made a noise. A husky breath and she stretched her arms over the table and stretched her arms up. It had been a quiet night, after some awkward flirting Rufus - the man she hired to do things she could not - had gone to sleep. He would watch over the morning people like she watched over the night ones.

Sort of .

Sera sat up, blurry eyed and flushed. Confused. Her black hair a wispy mess around her head, a smear of drool on the side of her mouth. No doubt there was a wet spot on her sleeve. Again she stared at the man in the doorway before she remembered.

"Oh!" She sat up quickly and took to lighting a few more candles so it didn't look so gloomy inside.

"Hi. I'm sorry, i must have... Dozed off." A small attempt at a smile and she tossed her messy braid over her shoulder. Licking her lips before dragging her sleeve over them and her cheek she looked him up and down.

"Do you just need a room or something to eat too? I think there's a few left overs in the kitchen i can heat up if you require it." Sera brought a book up and smiled. Clearly he'd have to sign in to stay.

pomelo

John was not surprised by the empty quiet of the tavern, though he'd have to admit he was a little surprised to find, upon stepping in out of the cold mist, only a sleeping young woman. Surprised and, of course, a little embarrassed. He cleared his throat, shifting awkwardly while he waited for the woman to wake.

When she did, John smiled apologetically. "There's nothing to apologize for," he answered. "I should count myself lucky that you are still open at all. And that I managed to find you in all this fog."

He stepped forward when she pulled out the book. Many Connlaothian travelers might blanch at the prospect of having to write something, the literacy rate amongst common people being fairly low in the country, but this traveler said nothing. He lifted the quill naturally, and in a neat hand with a bit of a flourish wrote, John Jameson.

Only after he had done this did he look up, his stomach suddenly clenching at the thought of food. How long since he'd eaten? "If it isn't too much of an imposition," he answered, "something to eat would be greatly appreciated."

Draconian

The fact he wrote his name at all was telling.

Moreso that it was fancy and beautifully written.

Most of the names in the book were the same elegant loopy writing - clearly hers. A formality she picked up when she began to use the house she'd acquired to house people overnight. A name was a great tool to use on people.

"John," She stated, reading the name before tucking the book away after making a few marks on the page. John Jameson. It was a plain name. An easily forgettable name. Not that hers was any better. "You can call me Sera," She smiled at him before his insides decided he needed food.

"Not an imposition at all," A gentle smile, "I offered. Take a seat, though," She pointed to the table she'd fallen asleep at where a lone candle burned, lighting that small part of the room, "I'll be a few minutes." So, leaving John to his own devices - not worried he'd steal, there were a few candle sticks but besides that nothing of worth or easily sold. Returning to the room she held two plates, a bowl of stew on each and a hunk of day old bread.

"There was enough for two left, so I figured I'd join you," She smiled, "I believe I slept through dinner." A brief moment before she placed the plate of food on the table and took a seat after placing her own down. "What brings you this way if you don't mind me asking?"