Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where the Winds of Limbo Roar [M]

Started by Lion, March 31, 2016, 02:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[Open by Request]

Maybe it was a foolish decision that would cost him sooner rather than later.  But for a moment of respite, he would take that risk.  Coming into Essyrn wasn't as difficult as one might expect.  He was a hunted man certainly, however, he was quite capable of getting into places where he wasn't wanted.  Still, he kept the lip of his hooded poncho over his head and his face down as he entered into the tavern closest to him.

Atalier Talshar was no stranger to the evening life in this oasis city, nestled deep in the scent of jasmine and fresh water.  Sand crunched beneath his shoes.  They were soft soles that relented easily beneath the weight of him.  He tried to focus on the sound instead of the glances of passersby.  They did not know him nor he them, but he could never know exactly just when or where someone might be looking for him.  But then again maybe he was just being overly paranoid.

He was a traveler like anything coming into a place where foreign traffic was rather high even on a slow day.  People came and went from all over, what difference did it make if he was among them?  He was just another face in a crowd.

He stopped before a dimly lit building.  The red light dangling from it told him what it was.  It was alluring to be sure, and only then did Atalier feel the exhaustion settling into his bones.  It was better than staying and sleeping in the streets.  Vagrancy wasn't high on his list of aspirations.  Feelingly, he pulled out what coins jangled in the purse beneath his poncho.  He bounced the weight of a few coins and put them back.  He could afford a drink and maybe a store room bedroll, but probably not company for the night.  That sounded just fine for now.

Inside was the pungent fragrance of incense and perfume and it filled his nostrils, the sound of laughter and singing filled his ears.  Atalier was greeted by a young girl, one that casually took his arm and stroked his hand.  She smiled shyly at him, but Atalier politely waved her away.  She complied with some disappointment but little protest.

"If you're not here to pay and play, you've walked into the wrong place, my friend," a woman beside him said casually, puffing on a hookah pipe and affording him a sidelong glance.  She surveyed Atalier, grinning in appreciation and extending her hand.  "Saffir."

He looked her over, taking and kissing the back of the offered hand.  "Tal," he replied.  "I have money, but I just need a place to stay for the night.  Taverns are too...crowded."

"Unfortunately, the only rooms for let, darling, are already occupied."  She chuckled, letting her hand graze his on its way back to the hookah pipe.  She puffed on it, nodding to the man tending the bar.  "Give him one on the house."

Atalier smiled a moment before stopping himself.  "Nothing's free.   What's the price?"

Saffir laughed again.  "You're smarter than at first glance.  I like that.  Come to my room later tonight and we'll talk business, yes?  Top floor.  You'll know it when you see it."  She gave his hand another squeeze before departing the bar.

A sinking feeling entered Atalier's gut.  As intriguing as it was, he wasn't sure he was going to like whatever it was she had to say.  He sniffed his drink.  Rakshi...a crisp sharp burning of a whiskey distilled from wild rice in the Kishan Jungle.  A free rakshi drink didn't lend much to idea that the favor was going to be anything small. 

Another sip soothed his nerves for the moment.  He could always just enjoy the drink and walk out.  He tipped the man behind the counter a coin just for good measure.  Eyes flicked around to view behind him, surveying the crowd that came into this place.  A lot of these folk didn't look nearly as disheveled as he did.  They wore pristine clean robes, jewels adorning their hands, and it was plain to see this was a rather well-to do crowd.  One in fact locked eyes on him for a moment.

Atalier cursed and turned back to his drink.  He knew he should have kept moving.  Downing the rakshi, Atalier casually slid from the chair and thanked the server, moving slowly through the building out toward the back.  From the corner of his eye he saw the man stand, excusing himself until he followed after him.

Atalier kept walking, stride now brisk as he found the rear exit.  He pushed passed a slave, passing through into the alleyway.

"Hey!  You!  Stop," the man called behind him.  "Atalier!"

His hackles rose, adrenaline rushing.  Atalier turned back, sliding into the dip in an alleyway and heard the footsteps approaching.  They were homing in quick.  In a grunt of aggravation, Atalier rushed his pursuer, pressing him hard against the wall behind him and holding him firmly there.  "Why are you following me!?"

He stared back, stunned at the look in Atalier's eyes.  "Atalier, I thought you were dead... "

"Who are you?  How do you know my name?"

"I am Farahd Sha-ishra.  I'm not surprised you don't remember me...  I was a friend of your mother's.  I am sorry to hear what happened to your family.  I recognized you only after you looked back at me, I apologize if I startled you.  Please, calm down."

"You knew my mother?"  He relaxed, letting him go.

"Yes.  I saw her not long ago, somewhere in the market.  But I did not have a chance to speak with her, she quickly rushed away."  Farahd frowned, Atalier relaxing his hands enough to pull away.   But the look at the younger man's face was as if he'd seen a ghost.

"You...you saw my mother?  She's alive?"  There were more questions rushing through his mind that Atalier could not speak them out loud.  His heart hammered against his ribs in a desperate rhythm.  "Where did you see her?  When!?"

"In the market, not but five days ago.  But I told you I didn't get –"

"It's all right, Farahd.   It's enough to know she's alive.  Thank you."  Atalier nodded to the man before running off down the alley and moving away from the brothel.  The market wasn't far from where he was, but at this time of night, it would likely be closed.  There would be guards and others roaming about. 

Atalier drew his hood on, keeping it low enough but still visible enough for him to see.  He prowled the streets casually, trying his damnedest to keep his heart beat in check, nerve keeping his gaze averted to the ground.  He didn't see the body that collided into him, just that he heard the other stumble backwards and objects fall to the ground.  "Oh, I'm sorry," he said, reaching down to pick up the items.  "I didn't see you there."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

ZeroOrgan

Even if it was a desert, it was extremely cold at night. Meliadoul looked to the barren bazar , although even without people, it looked alive. Every little action seemed to spark an endless poem in her mind of possibility. She smiled, before moving on, going down small street, funny enough one of the longest streets in Essyrn. She looked around to the lit buildings, there were some people prancing about, and a group of rowdy hooded men...most likely theives, drunk , or both.

She glanced about the streets, making her way to what she presumed was a tavern. She pushed open the door , only to be met with a blast of smoke from hookah pipes. She quickly retreated. Not being a fan of that certain 'taint' that others called after smoke. She backed out of the hookah den, not really looking where she was going, only to be met with a sudden. 'THUD', being knocked back towards the ground, looking up towards the man she tilted her head, Little had dropped from her basket of bought goods, mainly apples and little trinkets. She looked at him, merely staring in a melancholic fashion. She shook her head, sighing lightly standing up.  Little did she know her money pouch from her satchel had fallen out, All it took was that to start a bad day.

one of the local people , The ones up the street., happened to see the event, and rushed foward to grab her pouch, Luckily, Meliadoul spotted the quick figure, and as he reached down, she sent a steel boat towards his jaw,sending her whole body into the kick, a loud 'CRACK' heard as the man fell onto his back, with a little air between him in the ground as he was sent off of it. She spit at the man, who was not moving and picked up her money pouch...

Unluckily, This thief had friends, and they quickly took action of her actions  , They bolted towards the scene. Drawing daggers and arming swords ,pointing them at Meliadoul, Shouting insults, one of them dragging his friend back, in a panicked fashion asking if he was awake. Meliadoul rolled her eyes, taking a moment to light her pipe...

Lion

It happened too quickly for Atalier to properly register.  One minute he was helping prop apples back into the young woman's basket and next someone had picked up the purse she dropped, and she nailed that bastard to the ground.  Figuratively speaking.

He watched in silent shock as the events played out, seeing the weapons being drawn so quickly.  This escalated much faster than he liked, than he would have anticipated.  Did he really want to get involved?  No, not really.  It wasn't his fault the man decided to try and rob someone that was casual enough to light a smoke in the middle of was clearly going to be an all out fight.

He dropped the apples, the basket and stepped in front of the woman, holding his hands out warily, but hoping to abate any further violence.  "That's enough," he said levelly.  "There's no need for a fight.  Just put your weapons away and move on.  I think the woman made it clear no one is taking her money.  And she looks like she means it too."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

ZeroOrgan

Meliadoul's expression didn't change a single bit, she placed her hands firmly on her hips,shifting the pipe in her mouth in the meantime, and watched the thieves expressions, they went from shock, to anger, to being completely embarrassed. Meliadoul hold two fingers to her mouth, the thieves knew exactly what this meant. They quickly grabbed their friend and hauled him out of there as a fast as they could , thankfully it was relatively fast...

Meliadoul shook her head. And looked to the other man, her stare unchanging, she quickly reached into her satchel, digging deep for a letter, and pulled it out. Showing it to him.

Your mission is simple Meliadoul, find the man and inquire about the slave girl hes been after. I dont have much information , but if you find this is the true man. I want you to kill him, find the girl, and bring her to me. There is a reward of 10,000 gold coins if you are successful in your mission. I wish you the best of luck, and leave no witnesses.

Meliadoul pointed to her name, and then pointed to herself, after he was sure he got a good reading of the paper, she ripped it into millions of pieces, halves by halves by halves.

"My name is Meliadoul Yaelson, Im here to help. This letter was given to me by a bounty collecter, and I have no intent of collecting your bounty.  "

She shifted the pipe in her mouth, eyeing him up and down.

"You have your mothers eyes. Anyhow, Im here to help, you can refuse it, but what your getting yourself into, might require an extra blade.

Lion

He took a step back watching the pieces of the bounty letter flutter to the four winds.  Atalier frowned.  He knew he shouldn't have come to this city.  And now he was about to pay for that mistake dearly.  Even if she wasn't going to kill him - and he sorely believed she would - the fact that managed to track him somehow could only mean anyone else could find him too. People that fully intended to collect that bounty.

Instead he drew his hood further down on his face.  "I don't know what you're talking about.  I'm not looking for anyone.  I'm just passing through," he said and shrugged off.  "I'll be on my way."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

ZeroOrgan

Meliadoul sighed, her expression dropping. She looked towards the market, turning away from Atalier. A small plompf, heard as two large angel white wings sprung like daggers out of her back, going through her cloak and expanding once out of it. She bent down, as if ready to take off...

Lion

[Sorry, Atalier doesn't trust so easily.  Especially people that claim to want to help.  It's just in his nature.]

The action took Atalier aback, and no words could cross his lips.  He just watched her and held his breath a moment.  If she was going to be on her way, he wasn't going to stop her.  For years he'd been hounded, he had no reason to trust anyone that just came around stating they had information regarding someone close to him.

Atalier simply turned from her and went on his way, walking toward the other end of the market place, listening behind him, and intently all around.  He slipped into an alleyway.  He wasn't going to be daunted, but he knew trouble when he saw it, heard it, and when it tried to slither into his good graces.  He'd just have to go it alone.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

ZeroOrgan

Meliadoul decided, that if this man wasn't going to help him, she was going to do it of her own accord, she pushed off the ground, flapping her wings and darting into the air , with amazing speed she quickly took a survey of the market. She was getting a look of the Bazaar, and flew down towards the slave masters, landing with a mighty thud as she hit the ground feet first, getting his attention.

The slavemaster and his guards quickly turned around, and looked towards the angel, some gawking, some drawing their weapons. Meliadoul ignited her hand in holy flame, and looked towards the slave master, who was now on his knees.

"P-please! I-its a harsh living! I...Mercy!" Meliadoul giggled.

"Dont jump to conclusions good ser, Free your slaves ,and spread the word, Im also looking for a specific slave" She smiled.

The slavemaster was curios, although extremely afraid and in awe, the guards were commanded to lower their weapons.

"W-who! I-I have logs on the slave trades..."

Meliadoul kept her smile "Her name is Idina, Idina Talshar"

The Slave trader quickly dug through a book in his robes, pulling out the log and digging through the pages quickly, in the meantime he ordered the slaves free'd from their cages.

Meliadoul raised her hand in the air, and created a beacon of holy flame for all the slaves that were being freed...

the Slave master found her eventually . "Y-yes! here! She was sold to Rama Gold...Tooth.. Hes the leader of a ..well, brigrand empire..."