Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Bones and New Magic [DragonSong! <3]

Started by Rhindeer, April 21, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Ah, here we are," Makani said as they stepped out of the jungle, revealing a modest hut constructed of bamboo and thatch. "We'll just set the boar down on that stone slab over there, to the right of the doorway. Anyway!"

He guided them both over, and carefully lowered his end of the boar.

"It's all in the execution. When done on a person, it's not like I'm gutting them. It's a small, precise cut here," he said, tapping his inner elbow. "Or a prick of the finger. Or anywhere else that bleeds well--with a goal of not actually damaging the person. A finger will do for a little blood, an arm for more. I keep my knives sharp enough that you hardly feel it when it happens, unless I want you to feel it. If you're quick about it, the blood won't have time to change. But sometimes, you want it to change."

He stretched, rolling his shoulders and cracking his neck. "I use my own when I can. I'm used to it, so it hardly bothers me--unless I need it to, in which case I have ways to improvise. Someone new to the matter might get nervous, of course, and that can affect things, but that can also be a good thing depending on what we need. Really, it all depends. There are...ways of gaining whatever effect you need." He paused, looking at her, trying to gauge how comfortable she was with the topic.

It could be a queasy subject for some people, and very easily misunderstood.

"So long as you have the continued consent of all involved, of course."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

"I...think I understand," the huntress said slowly, brow furrowed as she turned his words over in her head.

Now that she'd started asking questions, her curiosity only seemed to grow. She bit her lip, debated the merits of holding her tongue, then caved and asked quickly, "How did you learn all this? I mean-- look, I'm no shaman, but the elders in my village don't talk about anything like this. Who taught you?"

Rhindeer

"My grandmother," Makani said as he drew his blade and knelt by the boar's head.

"Magic runs in my family's blood, but my mother had no...inclination toward it. No instinct for it, no stomach for it. Minor blood magic, yes, but the kind Mama Kawelo taught was...too much for her. She thought it too dangerous. She didn't want me to learn, but Mama Kawelo insisted. She taught me everything I know."

He lifted the boar's lip to get a look at its teeth, then rose to head for his home, reaching inside briefly to grab a pair of wooden pliers. He returned to the boar and pinched a tooth between them, then began to wriggle it gently. "I take it you don't do much magic?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Kiri shook her head. "No. None really. I--" She paused, tilting her head from side to side, debating how much she wanted to say. "Well, when I was younger I was fascinated by it. But I never had the...the...I don't know what you call it. The knack, I suppose."

A hint of wistfulness had entered her tone, though she quickly tried to shake it away, offering a quick, friendly smile.

Rhindeer

"Oh?" With a wet crunch, Makani removed the first tooth and set the bloody thing aside before going for the next. "No knack, you say. But did anyone attempt to teach you?"

DragonSong

"Well...no." She shrugged. "But I mean, why bother, right? I was never levitating things or talking to plants or having visions as a kid, so why waste time on it?" She smiled again, though the wistfulness-- almost regret-- in her voice was plain.

Rhindeer

Makani cocked his head, birdlike, eyebrows knit. "Would you have been able to hunt if you weren't shown?"

DragonSong

"I—" She blinked. "No, I guess not. But it's not really the same is it? You have to— to have a knack for the thing to do magic. Don't you?"

Despite herself, there was the tiniest hint of hope in her voice.

Rhindeer

"Mm, that's..." Makani tapped his chin in thought and left behind a smudge of blood, but if he noticed or cared, he didn't show it. "Debatable, I guess is the best way to put it. There are some people who try and try and try and can never do a lick of anything 'magic', and there are those that slide from the womb bursting with the stuff. Then there are those who show no promise at all, but who can learn it if they're just shown the path. Or a different path. Maybe those that 'lack' magic just haven't been shown the right kind of magic for them. Maybe the right kind of magic for them hasn't even been discovered yet. I don't know. The gods work in mysterious and frustrating ways."

Makani finished extracting the teeth he wanted as he spoke--he left many behind, apparently disinterested in those ones--and then shifted over so he could get to work gutting the creature. He slid his knife into the soft belly and began to slit it open, steaming guts spilling out. "And then there are those, I'm told, who make deals with gods or spirits or magical creatures to get their power. I don't know how true that is, but..."

He gave a little shrug. "If you've never really tried, you never really know. It's like that with many things. Most things we view as natural talent are just the product of hard work. You can teach yourself to do almost anything."

DragonSong

Kiri stared at him for a long moment, processing that.

Then her eyes lit up with the kind of fire she normally only felt after a good kill, a skilled hunt, and she leaned forward onto the balls of her feet.

"Teach me."

She meant it to be a question, but the passion in her voice made it a command. Flushing, she tried to rein herself back and added, "Um, please?"

Rhindeer

Whoa!

Makani's head snapped up from his work, rare surprise in his eyes and raised brows, and he froze in his work.

...Teach her?

He looked down again, at the pile of bloody teeth and the offal spilled over the earth, and then back up to her. Teach her? Really? While there were many who dealt in the primal arts, and many even who dealt in blood magic--it was common enough--even many of those grew squeamish with the sort of work he performed. And yet here he had told her subtle details about it, details that were enough to make others grimace, and her eyes had lit up and she was asking him to teach her.

But then again, hadn't he had the same reaction when Mama Kawelo took him under her wing?

"Oh, uh..." It still took him aback, took him a moment to gather his thoughts. "Well. Yes. I mean, if that's what you'd like. But it's bloody work. Often painful. And it requires, well, sacrifice. You're really interested despite that? I only know my kind of magic, so it's the only magic I know how to teach."

DragonSong

The huntress's eyes flared with excitement. "I am. I'm interested," she assured quickly. "I want to learn. I'm used to pain and sacrifice-- becoming a good hunter requires both. Please. Teach me?"

It was clear that she was more than a little naive about just what exactly she might be getting into, but the desire to learn was very, very real. She was practically bouncing on her heels, feathers rustling with anxious energy.

Rhindeer

Makani stared at her a moment longer, unblinking, as though waiting for her to change her mind. But there was a fire in her eyes that said, quite clearly, that she meant her every word.

For now.

And just like that, Makani found himself thrust into a role he was in no way prepared for--and yet, he couldn't say no. Maybe the girl would reconsider and nope on out of the arrangement later; that would be disappointing, but not surprising. Maybe she wouldn't have any intuition for his sort of magic. But maybe she would. It couldn't hurt to test the waters, lest his family's tradition die with him.

The mothers of his children hadn't been fond of the thought of him teaching them.

"Very well," he said at last, and rose to his feet, fluffing his feathers. He stooped to pick up the teeth he had pulled and nodded at Kiri. "Go ahead and continue butchering the boar. I need to go prepare a few things and--"

He stopped short, blinking in sudden surprise. "I don't believe I even got your name."

DragonSong

"Oh." Right, she'd never really introduced herself. With a smile and quiet chuckle, she relayed, "Kiri. I'm called Kiri. Nice to meet you."

She bobbed her head to him once before she set in to continue butchering the boar. With her skirt tucked up toward her hips, she didn't have to worry too much about getting blood on her clothes, so she just tied her hair back with one of the leather chords that normally hung around her neck, dangling teeth and shells.

Rhindeer

"Kiri," he repeated, committing it to memory with a nod. "I'm Makani. Nice to officially meet you!"

He turned to leave, pausing only briefly as his eyes caught sight of the teeth on that cord, but that was curiosity to sate another time.

Right now, he had a ritual to prepare.

With a thoughtful, "Hm," he stepped inside his home.

Time to get to work, while she worked.

DragonSong

She looked up at him with a friendly smile. "You too."

She turned her attention back to the boar. Enough successful kills meant that she was a relatively skilled butcher, and she managed to work through the task quickly enough.

She wasn't exactly sure what she should be doing next, so she to cleaning the skin from the meat and laying the pelt off to the side.

Rhindeer

Makani finished up shortly after Kiri did, and stepped outside to check on her progress. He hadn't expected her to finish so quickly--or maybe he had just been slower than he thought. Time did tend to run away from him, especially when he got absorbed in one thing or the other.

"Oh. You're done," he said, eyebrows raised as he saw that she had not only butchered the animal, but taken care of its pelt, as well. "And then some," he added, obviously impressed. He had expected her to do well, considering her obvious experience, but she had done better. So far she had proven that she was quick, and that was a promising sign; if she had any aptitude for this, then there was a good chance she'd be a quick and bright study. Even better, she had shown she was good at following orders, and at exceeding them.

The only possible concern with that was that she might go above and beyond before she was ready for that. He'd have to keep an eye out for that.

"Very good!" he said with a clap of his hands. "Follow me, then. You'll need to wash up, and then we'll get started."

Motioning her to follow, he headed around the side of his home and pointed at a well-traveled path that Kiri would find ended in a freshwater spring. "Clean yourself, and when you're ready, meet me inside."

DragonSong

A little pleased with herself that he seemed surprised she'd finished so quickly, Kiri gave him a quick grin and nodded as she stood up, already wiping her hands over the fabric on her hips. Following him as he directed her toward the spring, she nodded again and all but chirped, "Thanks. Be back in a few then."

She set off down the little path, her steps soft as ever from years of habitual practice, though there was a bit of a bounce to her gait. When she reached the spring she stripped quickly and set to washing her clothes before laying them out on a nearby rock, then jumping into the water herself.

Getting clean was a relief, especially after work like butchering-- she wasn't unused to it, but she couldn't say she liked the feeling of being covered in blood and entrails... Alright, not covered, but close enough!

Once she felt suitably scrubbed, she waded from the water again and grabbed her still damp sarong. She was loathe to put on clothes that were still rather wet, but didn't see that she had much of an option. She decided to forgo her breastband though, as there didn't seem to be much point to it if she wasn't going on another hunt. Besides, if she wasn't wearing it she could let it dry properly!

Kiri picked her way back down the path toward Makani's home, calling as she came within view, "I don't suppose you've got a clothesline or something where I could hand this?" She brandish the damp cloth to indicate this,

Rhindeer

Makani was waiting for Kiri just outside his home. He had built up a small fire in a well-used fire pit and was kneeling next to it, letting the flames lick the blade of the gleaming knife he held. He looked up when he heard Kiri's approach, and nodded to a nearby tree. "Oh, I usually just toss my things over a branch to dry," he said.

Ever the bachelor.

He pulled the knife from the fire and looked it over, running his thumb lightly over the edge. It was a different knife from the one they'd used to butcher the boar, with a carved bone handle etched with delicate designs, and judging by the whetstone on the ground, he had freshly sharpened it. He turned it this way and that, inspecting it, before he rose to his feet with a soft grunt.

He nodded to Kiri, finally looking at her. "You look comfortable," he said, noting she was as bare-chested as he was. He couldn't imagine wearing something that squeezed his chest all day long, practical though it was. "Good. The more relaxed you are, the better this will go. Come."

He stepped inside his home, and when Kiri followed, she would find that it was dark inside save for the candles, one at each cardinal point, and at the center was a simple bamboo mat. Atop it were two small bowls fashioned from gourds, filled with a steaming, fragrantly earthy liquid, and Makani motioned Kiri to sit on one side of the mat as he knelt on the other.

DragonSong

Moving to hang her breastband over the most convenient branch, Kiri shrugged at his comment and replied, "Well, I don't exactly like wearing wet clothes-- and there's really no point to the band if I'm not doing anything too strenuous, y'know?"

Cocking her head curiously as she followed him into the house, she asked, "Why is it better if I'm relaxed?" On a hunt one had to be constantly alert; she would have imagined a similar concept applied to magic. What if something went wrong?

Of course, he was the expert here, not her.

At his direction she took a seat on her side of the mat, looking around curiously before folding her legs and letting her hands come to rest on her knees. She looked back to Makani, waiting expectantly.