Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Save Me from Myself? [HK] [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, April 23, 2016, 10:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I really think this is an overreaction."

Lily Hartnet sighed and dropped onto a rather outdated but still finely made chaise tucked into the corner of the parlor. "Why on earth would I be...targeted, or whatever it is you think is happening?" she demanded of her father.

"You can stop complaining, Lily. Your brother has already reported what's been happening to the authorities. Hopefully someone will be assigned to your case," Carlton said, his tone deceptively bored.

The young woman grumbled to herself but kept silent. She knew when an argument would be pointless; and honestly, even she was starting to get concerned about what had seemed to be odd bouts of fainting spells that had plagued her as a child and seemed to only be growing more frequent as she grew older. Every time one hit her, she seemed to wake up in odd places, with no memory of how she got there and with strange images flashing behind her eyelids, like fragments of a dream she couldn't quite remember.

It was unsettling to say the least, and after her last little episode had wound up with her going into some sort of fit the day before when she'd gone to church with her younger sister, her family had decided they needed to call in some outside help.

She rolled onto her back and closed her eyes, rubbing at her temples. God, she hoped Jorris would be back with whatever "help" he'd gone to get soon so this whole mess could blow over.

Medievarad

The air became thicker and seemingly heavier as this Jorris person entered with the help he had requested. And it was none less than the mordecai grandmaster, Artorias Frostmane.

A menacing appearance that dwarved Jorris's frame entered behind him. Armoured, clad in a deep azure and tattered robe that functioned as a cloak to hide the enormous armour he wore. A greatsword on his back that hummed with energy and radiated a soft grey glow even through it's scabbard. His face was hidden by the deep, tattered hood.

And all magic in his immediate vicinity was rendered unusable.

"What is the issue?" He inquired. Voice stonecold and commanding.

DragonSong

Lily and her father both snapped to attention, the master of the house rising to his feet while his daughter sat up quickly and clasped her hands in her lap, eyes downcast.

"Ah- hello, sir, and welcome," Carlton said quickly, nodding politely to the mordecai. "We seem to be having- did my son not explain?"

Jorris shrugged and crossed the room to sit next to his sister, putting an arm around her shoulders. "I tried, but we don't really know what's going on," he pointed out. Looking to Artorias, he added, "My family has suspicions that my sister here is being targeted by a witch or mage."

Lily bit her lip and stared at the stranger, trying to find a way to meet his eyes but unable. She felt...odd. It wasn't the first time she'd been around a mordecai, but this man was quite intimidating.

Medievarad

Artorias nodded. "Good day," he answered curtly, "he did. I prefer to hear multiple sides of the story." Artorias said with a nod, before taking several steps in Lily's direction. "Did any marks or tattoos appear on her? Even if it's just a small dot? Is there anyone you know that might exact a curse upon her?"

DragonSong

Lily frowned slightly as Jorris opened his mouth to answer. "I can speak for myself," she said sharply.

Addressing the mordecai, she shook her head and answered, "No strange marks, nothing like that. And we can't think of anyone who might want to hurt us- me specifically. Which I why I think this is all an overreaction."

"Lily!" her father snapped, giving her a sharp look.

"What?" She frowned at him, then looked back to Artorias. "I swear, they're just fainting spells. Odd fainting spells, I grant you, but there's nothing magical about them."

Medievarad

Artorias arched an eyebrow underneath the hodd, folding his arms. "Have you visited a healer for those fainting spells?"

DragonSong

Lily clamped her mouth shut and scowled at that. Her brother jumped in with, "We've been to a dozen- no one can explain it."

"They've been getting worse these passed few years," Carlton added.

Medievarad

Artorias mused softly. "Is there anything particular you feel before fainting?"

DragonSong

Lily glanced at him and sighed. It felt like she'd answered these same questions dozens of times to healers, wisemen, her parents...

"Dizzy," she said quietly. "I feel dizzy, and usually hot. And sometimes I get headaches, but not always."

Medievarad

Artorias nodded. "Do you hear something before you faint? Whispers? Sneers? Any of those?"

DragonSong

She shook her head. "No...but sometimes I hear things like that while I'm dreaming."

Before she could further explain, her father cut in with, "Lily says she has these...dreams while she's unconscious. Dreams of-" he lowered his voice slightly- "magic."

Medievarad

"Then it might be a curse, or, perhaps you have a dormant magical ability," Artorias snorted slowly.

DragonSong

Both her father and brother stiffened and Lily's eyes widened.

"My daughter does not have magic," Carlton protested, at the same time Jorris said quickly, "It must be a curse. Please, sir, can't you tell us how to fix this?"

Medievarad

Artorias glanced at Carlton, then to Jorris and then back to Lily. "We'll have to find the perpetrator if this is a curse. It's only a temporary solution when I am around."

DragonSong

"How do we do that?" Carlton asked. "I want to keep my family safe, I'll do whatever it takes."

Jorris tightened his arm around Lily's shoulders and the young woman sighed quietly. It looked like she wouldn't be getting any peace from this any time soon.

Medievarad

"I'll have to contact scryers and some of my mordecai," Artorias said with a soft sigh. "For the time being, she'll have to stay by my side. The curse should be surpressed as long as she is within my vicinty."

DragonSong

Lily sighed quietly. She'd sort of been afraid of something like that. "Yes, sir," she murmured.

"Does that mean we should make you up a room in the manor?" Carlton offered.

Medievarad

"No," Artorias shook his head. "There are other things I have to attend to aswell. I prefer to have her accompany me."

DragonSong

Lily perked up at that. Well. This might be more interesting than she'd thought.

Jorris and her father frowned, but eventually Carlton gave a small nod. "If that's what you think is best, sir."

Lily jumped to her feet, biting back a smile. "Well, I suppose that means we'll be going soon?"

Medievarad

"Prepare to travel," Artorias answered. "You have half an hour. I will be waiting outside," he finished, before he stood up and walked out again.